• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Part of me is very tempted to pick up Dirt 2. I love racing games as it feels like I'm more able to play whenever and ditch it whereas for RPGs I feel this need to stick through it since I will inevitably get bored/forget about it.

I'm one of those "Oooh shiny!" people.

HoosTrax

That looks awesome but no mention of controller support. I may get this if it supports a gamepad.
This would suggest that it does:

91479166.png

In fact I would have the opposite concern.

Lizardus

Just got approved, I've been following this thread and the steam summer sales as a lurker so pretty excited to be finally able to post.

Subscribed.

Katoki

Just got approved, I've been following this thread and the steam summer sales as a lurker so pretty excited to be finally able to post.

Subscribed.

Welcome. Too bad you didn't get to join us for the sale itself. Was a lot of fun participating in the many highs and lows. It was glorious when I think back on it.

You guys really tempted me and now I own Dark Souls, I usually can only play 1-2 hours a day, so im not sure what will happen hehe.

Are you worried about the time investment?

I'm a married dad, and I play probably about 3 hours a week max, with an occasional mini-binge if the wife has a night out and the kids are in bed. When I got Dark Souls on the 360 I played nothing but that for about three and a half months and finished it in around 80 hours of playtime. That's actually the most time that I have ever spent with a game (I've never been a binge gamer and I usually prefer to play lots of shorter games over big long ones) and I don't regret a single hour of it. Trust me, it doesn't matter how much time you have to dedicate to gaming, as long as it's over zero hours Dark Souls is worth it. With the ability to save and quit anywhere I found that it actually works rather well with shorter gaming sessions, though many of the bosses are worth tackling multiple times in one session so the patterns are fresh in your mind.

Megasoum

Banned
Dirt 2 doesn't support fullscreen? It's only windowed for me.

It's a weird bug that affects all EGO Engine games (All Codemasters racing game). If you alt-tab it will actually go in Windowed mode and you have to sometimes manually Alt-Enter to go back to full screen or just click on the windows and it will maximize automatically...really annoying issue thats been around for years and they never fixed.

Subscribed.

Congratulations on finally getting approved (it's like having a weight lifted off you only now you enter a gauntlet-like probationary period where every post feels like it could be your last)! As has been stated previously I'm sorry you missed out on the ability to post during it but hopefully the fun and chaotic atmosphere within the thread was infectious.

Anyway, I've just finished Dear Esther and I must say it was an incredible experience. I'm not sure if I'd call it a game, it's comparable to Journey but without the gameplay found in Journey with much more of a story (although it's very vague, you really have to put it together yourself and interpret it) in case anybody is still interested in it (without the sale price of course). Thanks again to GoingGreen and DukeBobby.

And with that I've finished my first game from this year's Summer Sale. I think I'll finish off Amnesia next from last year's and then move onto Hard Reset. Does anybody have any suggestions off what to upgrade in Hard Reset by the way? I've just been upgrading the electric gun so far and ignoring the upgrades for the machinegun and for myself (I've phrased that poorly, but the things like HUD upgrade, the map, more hits etc.) but don't know if I should be doing that.

And finally, now that I notice that Left 4 Dead 2 is on sale, if anybody hasn't bought it yet do yourself a favour (although not your wallet/credit card) and buy it! It's a very enjoyable game to be played in either short doses or marathon sessions depending on if you can get a group together to play it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So 2000 hours later, my computer isn't a mess anymore! Fuck yeah, feels good.

Those cables from the PSU were driving me nuts.

Celegus

Steam has never caused me to sleep less. Maybe cause I only collect games and not play them though.

And another follower of the Cult of Gaben...

I've actually been doing good at playing the new games instead of looking at them. Tried Binding of Isaac last night and it really does tickle all the right places. Videos and screens of it made it look morbid and gross, but I actually find it more adorable than anything. Dunno if that says something about me as a person?

Are you worried about the time investment?

I'm a married dad, and I play probably about 3 hours a week max, with an occasional mini-binge if the wife has a night out and the kids are in bed. When I got Dark Souls on the 360 I played nothing but that for about three and a half months and finished it in around 80 hours of playtime. That's actually the most time that I have ever spent with a game (I've never been a binge gamer and I usually prefer to play lots of shorter games over big long ones) and I don't regret a single hour of it. Trust me, it doesn't matter how much time you have to dedicate to gaming, as long as it's over zero hours Dark Souls is worth it. With the ability to save and quit anywhere I found that it actually works rather well with shorter gaming sessions, though many of the bosses are worth tackling multiple times in one session so the patterns are fresh in your mind.

Are you me?

Holy crap, this is exactly my situation, and this post has me even more excited for Dark Souls now, thanks for posting!

Levyne

Banned
Is dark souls really as hard as people say? I don't mind some challenge but if I find something that's just way too tough I'd like an option to turn down the difficulty or something.

ShaneB

If I had another 1.50 in my Steam wallet, I'd probably get Dirt 2. Playing Burnout Paradise again and newly aquired NFS:HP, has reignited my love for racers.

I'm confused though, trying to think of what I thought to be a racing game, where the claim was that the world was so massive or something? Quick look and it's Fuel the game I'm thinking of. Dang, it's only 10 bucks, I guess it was probably 5 during the sale.

Celegus

Is dark souls really as hard as people say? I don't mind some challenge but if I find something that's just way too tough I'd like an option to turn down the difficulty or something.

It's certainly not an easy game, but it's only really hard if you're impatient. You just have to remember to take your time, play it smart, and don't get frustrated. I've played way way way harder games.

Tomodachi

Has anyone bought Grand Ages: Rome in the sale or in the past? It runs like crap on my PC (with a 560 Ti perfectly capable of running Arkham City at max settings, to say the most recent one I'm playing). Lots of slowdowns, load times for interfaces and so on. Any hint?

Dark Souls requires patience and focus and if you don't get lazy, you'll have no problems. If you let your guard down or you try to rush, you'll pay. I was scared away by the difficulty talk before I gave it a try and it's not nearly as bad as I feared.

Tomodachi

It's a different kind of hard. It just asks the player not to rush into the enemy like a fool. It's hard, but it's so satisfying. I'm totally not into hard games but Demon's Souls/Dark Souls are definitely my favourite games of the generation by FAR.
Also, it has amazing atmosphere and it's the most absorbing game I've played in a long while.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What can I do :_: 90 Celsius... CPU during small sessions of Deus Ex: HR...

ibsyWH6yN0iLkX.jpg

edit: around 55 Celsius idle...

I don't consider myself very skilled at most games (some genres are an exception) and I still managed to make good progress through the game. But it was definitely a constant struggle and I wanted to give up at various points. If it weren't for the horrible framerate of Blighttown I would have finished.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What can I do :_: 90 Celsius... CPU during small sessions of Deus Ex: HR...

ibsyWH6yN0iLkX.jpg

edit: around 55 Celsius idle...

55 idle is crazy. My CPU has been 100% occupied encoding video 24/7 for the last week and it's running at about 53 Celsius. Get yo compressed air out son.

Strange, I see HL Lost Coast in my list of games, I bought Orange Box but I don't ever recall buying Lost Coast and I'm sure it wasnt included in OB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom