• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoshi here I updated your picture:

ZZyNp.jpg

Thats where fans would help. I have horrid handwriting.

My Dell Studio 17, is overheating like crazy as of late. Just downloaded SpeedFan to get an accurate measurement of the temperatures. I'm afraid of what I'll find..

wsippel

Banned
Oh well, maybe you should stick a note on your monitor to tell you to buy games as gifts in the future so if you don't play them, you can gift them to friends who will. I started stocking up on gift items when I buy stuff now because of it. If I get to it, great. If not, I give it to someone who has the game on their wishlist. Win/win in the end.
That's actually a pretty good idea.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Torchlight is a good fairly light game that is as long as you want to make it. The CPU in those new Airs aren't too terrible at games. It might be better to look around for Mac stuff and then ask if it will run.

Hmm, yeah, I have Torchlight on XBLA but that might tide me over. I want Diablo 3, but am not sure where I'll have internet.

Starcraft and Diablo 3 both run on the 2012 airs (the lesser models than mine even) so I should be OK in general.

Just looking for something to play while I'm away from consoles/traveling.

Salsa

Well, those are pretty fucking high. Intel recommends not going over 70. Mine is at 65 max.

they are a bit higher than what they could be if I had a better heat situation going on in my bedroom with my PC placement, but I really doubt it's enough to cause any harm.

As I said, while gaming it stays mostly at 70.

1-D_FTW

Don't cases usually come with fans built in?

Occasionally. But the really budget cases don't to save money on materials. And the cases aimed at the hardcore don't really include them because the hardcore would just rip them out and replace them with better brands. So it inflates the price and makes them less competitive.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Damn, the last things I regretted not buying during the Steam sale are on sale again (the L4D games). $7.49 for both...I know I shouldn't spend any more money, but...that's a great deal...

Couple questions, though.

1. Is L4D1 still worth playing? Do people still play it regularly?

2. My PC only has integrated graphics (Intel HD), but plays really nice with every other Source engine game I've ever played (HL2, Portal, TF2, Zeno Clash, CS:S). Would I still be able to run L4D2 okay?

3. Fucking Steam...I'm gonna be agonizing over whether or not to buy these for days. :lol Being a new PC gamer suuuuuuuuuuucks, but is also SO AWESOME. :lol

1-D_FTW

Direct link please :_:

And within the first week, I'm already getting heart attacks :(

Someone asked for the whole rig, here you have it.

It's hard to tell, but it sure looks like there's a grill on the bottom of the front case. Put an intake fan there.

And judging by the base hole mounts, the exhaust at least supports either 92mm or 120mm. Get as large a fan as your mounting holes allow. The larger the fan, the more air it can move (and at quieter speeds).

tylerf

Occasionally. But the really budget cases don't to save money on materials. And the cases aimed at the hardcore don't really include them because the hardcore would just rip them out and replace them with better brands. So it inflates the price and makes them less competitive.
I see. I built my computer with a case that cost like 50 bucks and it came with rear and top fans so I assumed most cases would have them.

Toki767

Damn, the last things I regretted not buying during the Steam sale are on sale again (the L4D games). $7.49 for both...I know I shouldn't spend any more money, but...that's a great deal...

Couple questions, though.

1. Is L4D1 still worth playing? Do people still play it regularly?

2. My PC only has integrated graphics (Intel HD), but plays really nice with every other Source engine game I've ever played (HL2, Portal, TF2, Zeno Clash, CS:S). Would I still be able to run L4D2 okay?

3. Fucking Steam...I'm gonna be agonizing over whether or not to buy these for days. :lol Being a new PC gamer suuuuuuuuuuucks, but is also SO AWESOME. :lol

You could probably get away with just having L4D2 instead of 1. I hear the best part of 1 was added to 2 anyways.

Which integrated graphics do you have? And what CPU do you have?

I kind of regret not jumping on Fallout 3 GOTY for $5 myself, but I know it'll be back, if not cheaper for the Winter sale.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so basically:

snB7K.jpg

? Which fan should be the "air out" and which one should be the "air in"?

If that is the i5 2500k then I have the same cpu with the same stock cooler and it idles at around 35c and is around 60c under load. Could be that the thermal paste wasnt applied correctly on the heatsink? Being your first build it wouldnt be something you would notice.

But either way if you got newer and better thermal paste then cleaning the old stuff off correctly and applying the higher quality paste should bring down the temps by about 10c on its own without a new cooler. Real Temp tells me that TJ Max is about 100c, so even at 80c you will be ok. But it is definitely worth the $30 or so to get the cooler mentioned in a post above. From what I understand if I had that cooler and better thermal I would be about 40c under load.

Well, those are pretty fucking high. Intel recommends not going over 70. Mine is at 65 max.

I can attest having spent multiple summers in Central and South America that getting temps that low is immensely difficult. If like most Latin American countries Uruguay doesn't have central air Salsa's temps are going to be higher then most.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You could probably get away with just having L4D2 instead of 1. I hear the best part of 1 was added to 2 anyways.

Which integrated graphics do you have? And what CPU do you have?

I kind of regret not jumping on Fallout 3 GOTY for $5 myself, but I know it'll be back, if not cheaper for the Winter sale.

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Seems really good for integrated. Can run stuff like X3 Terran Conflict, Source stuff, Dungeon Defenders, etc with no lag at all)
CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.70GHz (Dual core)

Toki767

Okay so basically:

snB7K.jpg

? Which fan should be the "air out" and which one should be the "air in"?

Judging by your front case, I'm not sure that you can actually attach fans on the front, but if you have a PC savvy friend in real life, I'm sure they can give you a bit better advice. "Air out" should be in the back while "air in" should be in the front. That way air flow in the computer goes from front to back.

1-D_FTW

Okay so basically:

http://i.imgur.com/snB7K.jpg[IMG]

? Which fan should be the "air out" and which one should be the "air in"?[/QUOTE]

You're not going to place the intake that high. It'll be by your hard drives on the bottom. That's where you intake holes are on your case (assuming those dots in the picture are actually holes).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So if I buy two of these:

iMy9n.jpg

Can I manually choose which direction the air goes?
Is that PC a core 2 duo or an i whatever, picture is blurry.
i5 750 @2.67GHz

Katoki

iMy9n.jpg

i5 750 @2.67GHz

The side that's facing you in that picture is whee the air is directed towards. The side where you can see the "cap" of the center of the fan is where air gets pulled in. Those fans will work unless you find different fans you like or a better deal on other brands.

1-D_FTW

http://i.imgur.com/iMy9n.jpg[IMG]

i5 750 @2.67GHz[/QUOTE]

Yes. You just reverse mount if you want to change direction of airflow.

But MEASURE YOUR MOUNTING HOLES. If your case only supports 80 or 92mm, you probably won't be able to mount 120 mm fans.

Can we get a better picture of the front of the case. Are those dots indents in the panel or are they actual holes? You might not be able to put an intake fan on the case.

Yoshichan

Sorry for all the questions :_:

Uploaded this so people don't need to speculate what it looks in the front side:
Will I be able to put a fan in there that blows "inside"?

03jAO.jpg

Toki767

Can we get a better picture of the front of the case. Are those dots indents in the panel or are they actual holes? You might not be able to put an intake fan on the case.

He built the computer right? Can we just get the case model so we can just look it up ourselves?

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Seems really good for integrated. Can run stuff like X3 Terran Conflict, Source stuff, Dungeon Defenders, etc with no lag at all)
CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.70GHz (Dual core)

Sounds like you'll be fine. May not be able to run at max settings, but it should be average. May need to run at a lower resolution or without AA to get a better framerate though.

Katoki

Sorry for all the questions :_:

Uploaded this so people don't need to speculate what it looks in the front side:
Will I be able to put a fan in there that blows "inside"?

03jAO.jpg

Should be able to. At the front bottom of the case in the picture the grill is shaped for the airflow of a fan and there are mounting holes at least from what I can make out on the top left of the grill itself.

Yoshichan

1-D_FTW

Should be able to. At the front bottom of the case in the picture the grill is shaped for the airflow of a fan and there are mounting holes at least from what I can make out on the top left of the grill itself.

Could just be the framing hardware they're using.

All he needs to do is look into those holes. If they go through to the inside of the case, put a fan there. If not, it's kind of useless.

Or as somebody else mentioned, just post the case model number and this whole inquiry would already be solved.

Kung Fu Strike - The Warrior's Rise, impressions on 30 min playtime, completed up to Level 5:
Size: 1GB
Players 1-2: Keyboard or Controller, Local co-op, player vs. player (once the campaign has been beaten)
Graphics settings: Bare, runs at 720p. No option for 1080p (may be patched in later) or any additional graphical options.
Story: Scroll pictures with text underneath. What's it about? Didn't pay attention.

You have an attack, a jump attack, evade, and deflect button. There is a function button that I haven't used. I was able to use the right trigger to deflect and evade. Special power chi moves X+A. Basically you fight enemies in an arena, old-school style enough said. There was a battle which took place in a traditional fighting game side view. Also, there are enemies that you have to break their guard by holding X then pressing A at the prompt. You are ranked on how well you do in an level and you earn points from enemies and rank to buy moves, power-ups, or equipment (such as a relic that revives you upon death). There is an Army tab in the upgrade menu, maybe you will be able to have the AI allies fight on your side.

The gameplay feels fun and the action very snappy. It could benefit from a higher resolution as of now it looks a little fuzzy. The story so far is a throwaway. I may play more but I think this is a game that may be more fun in co-op so I'll wait until I have someone to play through with.

Katoki

Could just be the framing hardware they're using.

All he needs to do is look into those holes. If they go through to the inside of the case, put a fan there. If not, it's kind of useless.

Or as somebody else mentioned, just post the case model number and this whole inquiry would already be solved.

Cooling system includes two fan locations (rear / front) and pre-installed "air duct" on the side panel.

Link says they specifically set it up for "cooling" with 2 fans, front and rear, so the bottom would have to be the front one since the above area is for the bays. I don't like the description very much though. I can't put my finger on the word that I want to use to describe it but it's most likely the translation more than anything else.

Yoshichan

Toki767

Okay so I measured the holes in the back and I'm positive that it can't take a 120mm fan. This one fits my back computer:

http://microdream.co.uk/delta-electronics-pc-case-cooling-fan-dsb0912h-92-x-25mm-3pin.html

Delta Electronics PC Case Cooling Fan DSB0912H 92mm x 25mm 3Pin

Does it look like there is already a fan installed in the front? Based on the description of the product, there should be two fans already in the system unless what you linked us to wasn't where you bought your computer.

Yoshichan

Does it look like there is already a fan installed in the front? Based on the description of the product, there should be two fans already in the system unless what you linked us to wasn't where you bought your computer.
No, I didn't buy the case from that place. There's definitely no additional fan in my case.

All of them... I was only playing 3 games though. The Walking Dead, The Witcher and Arkham City.

Don't know about Walking dead. The Witcher is saved locally, and I can't remember if Arkham City is cloud or local, but can you find the saves locally for the games? At least for The Witcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom