• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
55 idle is crazy. My CPU has been 100% occupied encoding video 24/7 for the last week and it's running at about 53 Celsius. Get yo compressed air out son.
Make sure you have good airflow, there isn't excessive dust in your case and make sure your heat sink is seated properly and the thermal paste has been applied properly.
All right so I bought some thermal paste today... can it really make a difference? I just spent three hours cleaning my computer today, so the air flow is perfect + no dust. So the only life-line I have is the thermal paste? Otherwise, my CPU is borked right?

ZZyNp.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
All right so I bought some thermal paste today... can it really make a difference? I just spent three hours cleaning my computer today, so the air flow is perfect + no dust. So the only life-line I have is the thermal paste? Otherwise, my CPU is borked right?

Maybe try a CPU cooler/fan? Sorry if you someone already mentioned that, I haven't been keeping up with the thread.

Maybe I'll just buy it now

If you have an Xbox or Playstation 3 I'd advise buying it on that if you can get it cheaply as the DLC is going to be roughly €15/$15 or 1200 MSP so if you can get the game for under €25 (I don't know what it is on the US store, I presume it's $40 as it's €40 in the EU and if that's the case then $25) you can get it earlier for the same price as the PC edition including the Prepare to Die Edition's DLC. Even buying it on Steam shouldn't be too much of a problem but personally I'd go the console route as of now.

Also, if you can I'd advise playing Demon's Souls first. I know it is fairly divisive on NeoGAF as to which is better but I personally prefer Demon's souls over Dark Souls (to me, it's just a better overall and just seems much tighter, better designed but as I've said it's pretty divisive as to which people prefer). The pace is a lot faster but it seems more "fair" to me than Dark Souls too. Even if you don't however, both games are truly excellent (it's probably my favourite new series [if it could be considered a series] this generation) and you should enjoy whichever you get, just don't rush into combat, take it slow and steady and learn how to roll efficiently as soon as you can as opposed to blocking.

If you have an Xbox or Playstation 3 I'd advise buying it on that if you can get it cheaply as the DLC is going to be roughly €15/$15 or 1200 MSP so if you can get the game for under €25 (I don't know what it is on the US store, I presume it's $40 as it's €40 in the EU and if that's the case then $25) you can get it earlier for the same price as the PC edition including the Prepare to Die Edition's DLC. Even buying it on Steam shouldn't be too much of a problem but personally I'd go the console route as of now.

Also, if you can I'd advise playing Demon's Souls first. I know it is fairly divisive on NeoGAF as to which is better but I personally prefer Demon's souls over Dark Souls (to me, it's just a better overall and just seems much tighter, better designed but as I've said it's pretty divisive as to which people prefer). The pace is a lot faster but it seems more "fair" to me than Dark Souls too. Even if you don't however, both games are truly excellent (it's probably my favourite new series [if it could be considered a series] this generation) and you should enjoy whichever you get, just don't rush into combat, take it slow and steady and learn how to roll efficiently as soon as you can as opposed to blocking.

Why are you recommending the console version over the PC port? gfwl?

blowred

Banned

replace the CPU fan then?

1-D_FTW

I suck with computers, what's a "stock"?

Posting the pic in this page:

ZZyNp.jpg

Intel stock fans suck. 55 probably isn't that outrageous considering.

And do you not have any case fans? At least stick an exhaust fan on that case grill.

EDIT: And try and get an intake fan on the front of that case too. Cause unless you have some fans on that case, that air is just going to stagnate.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait a second, just to confirm.

I HAVE a heatsink, and that's the one that came with my Intel CPU right?

Okay, now... the first thing I should do is buy a NEW heatsink, right? Preferably the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, I take it? And should I pump the tooth paste on it before I stick it in?

Fireblend

Banned

Okay, now... the first thing I should do is buy a NEW heatsink, right? Preferably the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, I take it? And should I pump the tooth paste on it before I stick it in?
I'd say an exhaust fan should be your priority right now.

Toki767

You will want to get some rubbing alcohol and a cloth and lightly clean the top of the CPU before you put new thermal paste on it. But yeah, pretty much buy the heatsink and some fans for that matter. Can you take a picture of the whole computer?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
For someone who sucks with computers, you sure did a nice job with your build. That looks great.

I've recently purchased a new computer case for my secondary computer, because I couldn't stand the fucking wire mess anymore. One of the best things i've made in a while (the best thing I've made before that was buying a big enough case for my replacement computer, last year).

It has so much space inside. I love being able to run cables through the back.

Like LastWindow said you need a fan onthe back to get the air out. Right now its just sitting there causing problems.

Temporary fix... play with your case open and a fan moving air off of the cpu/gpu until you can get a fan on at least the back of the case. I had to do that for a few months once. It wasn't pretty but it did the job.

Yoshichan

Intel stock fans suck. 55 probably isn't that outrageous considering.

And do you not have any case fans? At least stick an exhaust fan on that case grill.
The problem is that it just recently became sucky. Just a couple of days ago, it wasn't 55 in idle. Something went wrong somewhere, I think.
What fans do you have on the case?
I do not have any external fans... I have the heatsink fan and GPU-fan.

Yoshichan

Good eye. It doesn't look like he has an exhaust so all that air is going nowhere.
Okay brb, fixing the exhaust. I have it on my original case.

wsippel

Banned
Steam sales and alcohol are a dangerous combination. Just "found" a couple of games in my library that I apparently purchased during the summer sale...

The problem is that it just recently became sucky. Just a couple of days ago, it wasn't 55 in idle. Something went wrong somewhere, I think.

So all that hot air is just staying inside the case then with no where to go.

If this just happened your board might have warped and the CPU isn't making contact with heat sink.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all,

I am getting my first Mac, a 2012 macbook air, today and was looking for some "lighter" games to play on it during a flight next week.

I know it won't run everything well, but I'll have Starcraft 2 on it at the very least. Any good bite sized Steam games I should grab? To note, I've had Steam forever but never had a PC to play on. So I basically own TF2, Commander Keen, Starcraft 2, and that's it.

Thanks
:p

Yoshichan

This is the exhaust you guys are talking about right? It's hooked to my case (that I don't have hooked anymore).

SbRqe.jpg

Why are you recommending the console version over the PC port? gfwl?

Well, he may be adverse to that so that is a potential reason (personally it doesn't bother me though which is why I didn't mention it) but my main line of reasoning simply originates from whether or not the game can be gotten for less than €25 on consoles as if so the base game can be gotten immediately and that can be played through and then, if he enjoys it he can spend an additional €15 on the DLC which altogether would be less than or equal to the cost of the PC version (depending on how cheap he can find the base game). Similarly if he buys the base game and doesn't like it then that is less money lost than if he pre-purchases the PC version.

I only mention it as a friend of mine was recently considering doing the same thing (although it wasn't available for pre-purchase while he was deciding, he was going to wait for it to be made available and then pre-purchase the PC edition) but found the game instore for €15 (it was also €10 used) on the Xbox and bought it for that price. He didn't like it however (although he hasn't really given it a chance despite my best efforts) and thus has shelved it. This means he bought it for €15 and under the assumption he still doesn't like it later it's only €15 lost. If he had bought the PC version though, it would be more lost at €40. Likewise, if he ends up going back to the game and enjoys it, if he gets the DLC when it's available it still will have been cheaper than the PC version is (at €30 for the game and DLC as opposed to €40).

Toki767

This is the exhaust you guys are talking about right? It's hooked to my case (that I don't have hooked anymore).

SbRqe.jpg

Err...by exhaust...we mean a fan on the back that blows air out of the case.

You should also have at least one fan on the front that takes in cool air from outside to blow inside.

Yoshichan

For someone who sucks with computers, you sure did a nice job with your build. That looks great.
Only took me around 2 liters of sweat, twenty rage-moments and 200 hours :/ I'm trash.

Salsa

for reference these are my temps after a bit of Arkham City:

gy4LU.png

it mostly stays around the 70s, those 80's are occasional peaks

I dont think it's that big a deal really, but if you're mantaining steady 90s then an exhaust could be good

If you have no case fans, I would get 2, one to pull air in and one to push are out. The exhaust should go right on the grate on the back of the inside of your case. There should also be a place to put a fan on the front of the inside of your case. The best place to find out exactly what you need is the "I need a new PC thread." They'll be able to point you to your best options.

wsippel

Banned
Secret of the Magic Crystals?
Nope. I actually bought games that I was kinda interested in, but knew I'd never have time to actually play them (Sins of a Solar Empire, New Vegas), or titles I wasn't sure of (Ninja Blade, Binary Domain). Less than ten games - wasn't too bad.

Toki767

Nope. I actually bought games that I was kinda interested in, but knew I'd never have time to actually play them (Sins of a Solar Empire, New Vegas), or title I wasn't sure I'd end up liking them (Ninja Blade, Binary Domain).

Oh well, maybe you should stick a note on your monitor to tell you to buy games as gifts in the future so if you don't play them, you can gift them to friends who will. I started stocking up on gift items when I buy stuff now because of it. If I get to it, great. If not, I give it to someone who has the game on their wishlist. Win/win in the end.

Hey all,

I am getting my first Mac, a 2012 macbook air, today and was looking for some "lighter" games to play on it during a flight next week.

I know it won't run everything well, but I'll have Starcraft 2 on it at the very least. Any good bite sized Steam games I should grab? To note, I've had Steam forever but never had a PC to play on. So I basically own TF2, Commander Keen, Starcraft 2, and that's it.

Thanks
:p

Torchlight is a good fairly light game that is as long as you want to make it. The CPU in those new Airs aren't too terrible at games. It might be better to look around for Mac stuff and then ask if it will run.

Thrakier

for reference these are my temps after a bit of Arkham City:

gy4LU.png

it mostly stays around the 70s, those 80's are occasional peaks

I dont think it's that big a deal really, but if you're mantaining steady 90s then an exhaust could be good

Well, those are pretty fucking high. Intel recommends not going over 70. Mine is at 65 max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom