• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

No, I didn't buy the case from that place. There's definitely no additional fan in my case.

Okay well if that is the case you have, reading through the user reviews from that site, it seems like the front and back can fit an 80mm or 92mm fan. The side panel if you remove the air duct thing can fit a 120mm fan.

Katoki

Man.

Dirt 2, should I get it? My willpower is terrible. Also, should I be concerned that theres the "needs GfWL for online play" on the bottom of the page for it? Can I get away with never touching it if I plan to just single player?

Kung Fu Strike - The Warrior's Rise, impressions on 30 min playtime, completed up to Level 5:
Size: 1GB
Players 1-2: Keyboard or Controller, Local co-op, player vs. player (once the campaign has been beaten)
Graphics settings: Bare, runs at 720p. No option for 1080p (may be patched in later) or any additional graphical options.
Story: Scroll pictures with text underneath. What's it about? Didn't pay attention.

You have an attack, a jump attack, evade, and deflect button. There is a function button that I haven't used. I was able to use the right trigger to deflect and evade. Special power chi moves X+A. Basically you fight enemies in an arena, old-school style enough said. There was a battle which took place in a traditional fighting game side view. Also, there are enemies that you have to break their guard by holding X then pressing A at the prompt. You are ranked on how well you do in an level and you earn points from enemies and rank to buy moves, power-ups, or equipment (such as a relic that revives you upon death). There is an Army tab in the upgrade menu, maybe you will be able to have the AI allies fight on your side.

The gameplay feels fun and the action very snappy. It could benefit from a higher resolution as of now it looks a little fuzzy. The story so far is a throwaway. I may play more but I think this is a game that may be more fun in co-op so I'll wait until I have someone to play through with.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm going to keep this in mind and check out the demo on XBLA. I'm probably going to get it though.

heringer

Don't know about Walking dead. The Witcher is saved locally, and I can't remember if Arkham City is cloud or local, but can you find the saves locally for the games? At least for The Witcher?

I found The Walking Dead save data.

Arkham City is on cloud, I think, because of the GFWL bullshit. I think I'm screwed... lost 10 hours on the game, fuck. Reminds me why I left PC gaming a while ago.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay well if that is the case you have, reading through the user reviews from that site, it seems like the front and back can fit an 80mm or 92mm fan. The side panel if you remove the air duct thing can fit a 120mm fan.
Okay so if I get everything straight, I'm going to do the following stuff in the near future:

Buy a new heatsink
Buy toothpaste

Buy a 90mm for the back, 80mm for the front and 90mm for the side. I'll take some measurements tomorrow but I'm pretty sure my side panel can't take 120mm

I'll be going to bed now, thanks for all help SteamGAF! Talk to you tomorrow!

1-D_FTW

Arkham City
is on cloud, I think, because of the GFWL bullshit. I think I'm screwed... lost 10 hours on the game, fuck. Reminds me why I left PC gaming a while ago.

I haven't played the second Batman yet. Is it saving with Steam or GFWL? GFWL doesn't save on a cloud. It tends to encrypt and bury save files. But if it's not working, it could also be that it ate it. GFWL loves to eat saves.

Probably best to use GameSaveManager to periodically backup your saves:

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Not only will it protect you, but it'll find all the bullshit files that MS hides with GFWL.

Arkham City is on cloud, I think, because of the GFWL bullshit. I think I'm screwed... lost 10 hours on the game, fuck. Reminds me why I left PC gaming a while ago.

What about the witcher? Also if I remember right when I upgraded PCs in Feb I lost my save data for Arkham City and had to start over, no cloud save for me for it, so it MIGHT be local but under a GFWL dir? I am at work so I can't readily check.

heringer

I always thought the cloud save was optional?

It's default, because Steam sure didn't ask me if I wanted to use.

Now, why someone with no experience with Steam should know that your saves could suddenly disappear? This is some bullshit.

I'm not sure what the problem is though, because Steam doesn't recognize any of my saves, cloud or not.

Arkham City saves to Steam Cloud if you enabled it. try checking "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\75248785\57400\remote" or wherever your Steam folder it should have your XBL tag with a .sgd extension.

GameSave manager is also helpful in finding save game directories.

Katoki

Man.

Dirt 2, should I get it? My willpower is terrible. Also, should I be concerned that theres the "needs GfWL for online play" on the bottom of the page for it? Can I get away with never touching it if I plan to just single player?

Moving to this page.

louiedog

It's default, because Steam sure didn't ask me if I wanted to use.

Now, why someone with no experience with Steam should know that your saves could suddenly disappear? This is some bullshit.

I'm not sure what the problem is though, because Steam doesn't recognize any of my saves, cloud or not.

With the exception of cloud saves, Steam doesn't touch that data. The games themselves do it. Since you have three games that are completely unrelated I'm guessing the cause is elsewhere with your computer. It could be a profile issue, a drive letter change, or any number of other things.

1-D_FTW

Moving to this page.

Dirt 2 is a fantastic arcade racer that's well worth 4.99. Best Dirt game in the series.

Not sure how save files work if you don't sign in to Live. If you're gonna be a power Steam buyer, though, mine as well just bite the bullet and create an account. You'll soon have 25 games that use GFWL. Just suck it up and hold on tight.

heringer

With the exception of cloud saves, Steam doesn't touch that data. The games themselves do it. Since you have three games that are completely unrelated I'm guessing the cause is elsewhere with your computer. It could be a profile issue, a drive letter change, or any number of other things.

Steam recognizes my achievements and time played though... no idea of what it could be.

derExperte

Man.

You can use an offline profile but you can't completely circumvent it.

Katoki

Dirt 2 is a fantastic arcade racer that's well worth 4.99. Best Dirt game in the series.

Not sure how save files work if you don't sign in to Live. If you're gonna be a power Steam buyer, though, mine as well just bite the bullet and create an account. You'll soon have 25 games that use GFWL. Just suck it up and hold on tight.

Yeah I already have a GfWL account. It hasn't come and raped me yet so I guess I'll go for it. Hopefully that offline thing will work out okay. Thanks.

Salsa

weirdly enough this thread just made me go on a heatsink cleaning marathon, lol. Been a while, lots of dust. Took down about 10°C from both cpu and vga idles

Toki767

weirdly enough this thread just made me go on a heatsink cleaning marathon, lol. Been a while, lots of dust. Took down about 10°C from both cpu and vga idles

Dust is the enemy! It's a good idea to clean every month, but I'm way too lazy so I end up doing it like twice a year.

Dingotech

Stupid question RE The Walking Dead. (I don't want to go into the thread for spoiler fears!)

How do you manually save the game, pressing escape brings up the resume, menu, options, exit list, but it's not obvious to me where to save it?

Also at the end of a chapter is there a way to skip the credits?

Have you cleaned up/moved any folders recently? Game saves are usually (infuriatingly) placed in My Documents; have you checked there?

In fact I think that's where The Witcher saves should be. I wouldn't say screwed, its possible that they are *hopefully* still on your PC, but just somewhere that the game is not looking for them in.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stupid question RE The Walking Dead. (I don't want to go into the thread for spoiler fears!)

How do you manually save the game, pressing escape brings up the resume, menu, options, exit list, but it's not obvious to me where to save it?

Also at the end of a chapter is there a way to skip the credits?

There is no manual save, it's all checkpoints. You can skip the credits by hitting escape.

heringer

Have you cleaned up/moved any folders recently? Game saves are usually (infuriatingly) placed in My Documents; have you checked there?

The Walking Dead and The Witcher saves are there. Arkham City is on cloud though. Frankly, I'm only worried about AC.

The worse thing is, I can't even be sure if I won't lose my data again, because from what I'm reading GFWL likes to fuck with you even if you disable cloud saving.

The Walking Dead and The Witcher saves are there. Arkham City is on could though.

The worse thing is, I can't even be sure if I won't lose my data again, because from what I'm reading GFWL likes to fuck with you even if you disable cloud saving.

I get off of work in 3 hours. If you can wait I'll check where my saves are locally (I think they are in a GFWL dir, but I want to be sure) and PM you on where to look.

Edit: found some stuff that might help or at least clarify for ya heringer.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2331974

heringer

I get off of work in 3 hours. If you can wait I'll check where my saves are locally (I think they are in a GFWL dir, but I want to be sure) and PM you on where to look.

I actually found where the savedata is located, I just don't know where to go from there, because as I understand the problem is with the GFWL encrypted key, that is linked to your saves.

Edit: yes, I was reading that topic. I'm just afraid of tinkering with save data if the problem is also happening with games that doesn't use cloud or GFWL...

In fact, when I start up Batman it even asks me to put the CD Key again.

Dingotech

There is no manual save, it's all checkpoints. You can skip the credits by hitting escape.

Thanks, I hate checkpoints.... means I can't quit a game when I need to...

I finished the first chapter last night and no matter what key I pressed including escape I had to sit there and watch all the credits.... do you need to watch them the first time?

Levyne

Banned
The Forgotten Sands is my only foray into uPlay drm so far. Not terrible but froze the game when I tried to shift tab for steam stuff.

Man.

Golden rule about Steam purchases: If in doubt about a Steam purchase - don´t buy. You will still have enough to play.

Lizardus

I wish I only had lost 3 hours...

I am rage right now.

Something like this happened to me too with Splinter Cell: Conviction. I exited out of the game properly. When I started it up again, I was prompted to download a new save from the cloud servers because they were conflicting from my saves on the HDD so I hit yes and it brought me back to an earlier checkpoint maybe 2 hours ago.

What I did was turn off cloud saving from the UPLAY settings and use the gamesavemanager to back up my save files after each session. Only then can I be assured that I wont lose my saves.

Really tempted to just crack the game so I don't have to deal with this shit.

Katoki

Golden rule about Steam purchases: If in doubt about a Steam purchase - don´t buy. You will still have enough to play.

But you don't understand! It's for when I want to pick what I want to play, when I want to.

I'm not in doubt, just unsure about it with GfWL, and theres no such thing as a backlog.

The_Monk

Hey fellow GAFfers, I just got this email:

"Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: (my id here)

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen."

I never got any message like this one, can someone kindly explain the meaning of this? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom