• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow GAFfers, I just got this email:

"Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: (my id here)

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen."

I never got any message like this one, can someone kindly explain the meaning of this? Thanks in advance.

I had that email a few days ago too. I would be interested in knowing the answer to your question too. Seeing as though I never made a query to Steam.

Bisonian

What's the GAF impressions of that X Superbox? Seems like a lot of game for very cheap. Are they fairly easy to get into, and what type of gameplay experience should I expect?
Even reading reviews I can't tell if I'm in for more of an action based game with simulation elements, or if it's just hardcore space sim or what.

"Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen."

I never got any message like this one, can someone kindly explain the meaning of this? Thanks in advance.

I had that email a few days ago too. I would be interested in knowing the answer to your question too. Seeing as though I never made a query to Steam.

Sounds like a phising scam, ignore it. I got something similar from "Blizzard".

mannerbot

"Dear Steam User,

Contrary to what joey said, I don't think that this is a phishing scam. Pretty sure this is the message that comes up when you're the one that redeems a product code on Steam (for instance, through one of the forum giveaways here) and someone that comes in after you clicks on the "Retrieve Account" button.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

"Dear Steam User,

When you retrieve a Product Key, if said product key is already redeemed, Steam gives you the option to send an email to the Account which key is already registered, to retrieve all the account information to the email registered in said account.

So, let's say you're an idiot and you have a Steam account, with a game already registered in it. You're dumb, so forgot about it and created another Steam account, and tried to register the same Key again.

With that scenario, steam allows you to request the username of said Steam account to be sent to the email the account was registered with, so you, the owner of said key, can "remember" that you already have a Steam account.

Since we're on GAF, we like to give away keys in unprotected form on the messages, or inside a Quote. If somebody tries to register that key, gets the option to request the Steam username in which is registered.

That's the email you got.

Be aware that the account requesting the email doesn't get anything: Only the account that OWNS the content gets the email.

Prophane33

I just tried to play Batman and my save seems to be gone.
Will it be back to normal once the servers are back?

furthermore, i wonder if achievements I should have got in Left 4 Dead 2 will unlock afterwards.

Edit: I think your save should come back if it's on the steam cloud.

What's the GAF impressions of that X Superbox? Seems like a lot of game for very cheap. Are they fairly easy to get into, and what type of gameplay experience should I expect?
Even reading reviews I can't tell if I'm in for more of an action based game with simulation elements, or if it's just hardcore space sim or what.

Hardcore space sim. It is an incredible game, but you only need the most recent one, that is more than enough.

Be aware that they are very hard to get into. You will want to watch some tutorials on youtube for a couple of hours first

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do play and charge kits allow me to use my wireless 360 controller for PC games? That'd be a lot cheaper than $40 for a new controller.

No they don't.

They only carry power to the batteries - all communication is still done over the wireless protocol.

Thanks. Would have been too easy, lol

What about the wireless receivers, do they work well?

As previously discussed in this thread, yes, they work. They're cheaply built. They're expensive. They're off the market to be bought stand alone. Only way you can find an original Microsoft one is buying a "Windows PC Controller" bundle, which comes with a controller and a Wireless receiver. They break easily. They're easily fixable if you have two hands and a soldering iron. You're better off buying a cheap Chinese knockoff (from dealextreme, ebay or Amazon resellers) for 12 bucks as they work the same.

I've had two original ones break within a year after purchase. One I fixed. The other I gave away to a friend (and he can fix it if he so desires). The Chinese knockoff one I bought to replace the one before I fixed it is still working strong for one and a half years.

There's a lengthy discussion about them on this thread if you Google it up.

I have an unwanted, boxed copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops that I just noticed was Steamworks, according to the box. As it cannot be returned, I was thinking I could add it to my gift inventory instead of redeeming it to my library. Is this possible? I don't want to enter the cd key without knowing first.

marrec

Banned

"Dear Steam User,

Sounds phishy.

Bisonian

Hardcore space sim. It is an incredible game, but you only need the most recent one, that is more than enough.

Be aware that they are very hard to get into. You will want to watch some tutorials on youtube for a couple of hours first

That's what I wanted to know, think I'm going to pass then. Too much other stuff added to the backlog from the recent sale. Thanks for responding.

I have an unwanted, boxed copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops that I just noticed was Steamworks, according to the box. As it cannot be returned, I was thinking I could add it to my gift inventory instead of redeeming it to my library. Is this possible? I don't want to enter the cd key without knowing first.

Can't add the key to your gifts. If you enter they key it will go into your games not gifts.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

No, you can only Redeem codes to your library. You'd need to give the key to somebody else.

vid

Is anyone else having trouble with their copy of Episodes From Liberty City? I picked up the complete GTAIV collection, and GFWL keeps telling me that my CD key is invalid.

...did I make a huge mistake by buying a GFWL game?

HoosTrax

No, they're not easy to get into at all. The games are very complex and the learning curve is higher even than for a hardcore flight sim like Flight Simulator X.

I would also highly recommend a joystick. TrackIR is also supported, but the implementation is pretty terrible to be honest, so I wouldn't bother with it (the POV movement is not smooth at all).

There's also a bit of economic empire building (you can buy space production buildings and have trade routes, and you'll see AI ships land on your docks to buy things from you), so it's not just a space sim either. Lastly, there's some fleet management as well.

Thanks. So if I wanted to trade with someone for my copy, I'd have to give them the cd key? That's more risky right?

You take a risk every time you sit on a public toilet. Eating a hotdog cooked in a flimsy aluminum box in the middle of a busy city is risky. Doing them both at the same time is sure as hell risky. But that's life man, sometimes you have to sit right down on that filthy public toilet and finish that hotdog and just hope for the best.

Trancos

You take a risk every time you sit on a public toilet. Eating a hotdog cooked in a flimsy aluminum box in the middle of a busy city is risky. Doing them both at the same time is sure as hell risky. But that's life man, sometimes you have to sit right down on that filthy public toilet and finish that hotdog and just hope for the best.

At least if the hot dog thing goes wrong
you are already seated on the toilet.

anddo0

furthermore, i wonder if achievements I should have got in Left 4 Dead 2 will unlock afterwards.

Edit: I think your save should come back if it's on the steam cloud.

Is it a steam cloud save? If so it should be back when servers are back on.

Still having issues. When I try to sign into GFWL it fails. The only option I have is starting the game without it.

edit: where are the Batman saves stored?
Please don't say My docs savedata

edit: Much like Max Payne. I should've read up on Batman before purchasing. I had no idea it had a save game problem.
5 hours gone because of this BS!

ampere

Is anyone else having trouble with their copy of Episodes From Liberty City? I picked up the complete GTAIV collection, and GFWL keeps telling me that my CD key is invalid.

...did I make a huge mistake by buying a GFWL game?

GFWL games are irritating, but it should be playable. Are there multiple CD keys for the game? Maybe there's a key for GTA IV and a separate key for the Liberty City expac?

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some game advice.

I've been playing Tiny Bang Story, and I love the way it integrates jigsaw puzzles.

Are there some other games on Steam with jigsaw puzzles?

I've been playing Tiny Bang Story, and I love the way it integrates jigsaw puzzles.

I think this has them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/33650/

But it has a whole bunch of other stuff you might not want though.

Hmm... I should have bought that during the sale, looks like some fun stuff in there.

Also it's not really a jigsaw I guess...

ss_fd68d2054281f590fa06229ad92aa2f548c61899.600x338.jpg

Trancos

Is Tiny Bang Story as short as everybody is saying? What are your impressions on the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom