• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Magicka doesn't strike me as a game you'd want to play with a gamepad.
That's true. I was always the kbm in the group. You have to select spells by moving the right stick up/down/left/right and then moving it in another direction to have 8 spells. It's technically feasible but yeah kbm works a lot better due to ease of use.

I would download it and try it out and see if you like the gamepad controls or not.

Just so everyone is aware, the Witcher 2 will not currently load. It's a new issue that has sprung up so I don't think there is a fix atm, I wanted to continue my game today :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hello guys and good morning! I wanted to tell you all that I'm sorry for leaving all of a sudden yesterday, I had just realized that I had work in a couple of hours :lol Too bad I couldn't sleep for shit since all I could think of were CPU-fans...

All right, so got some final questions (no need for them to be answered right away, I'm heading to work in a matter of minutes). Here's my last quote:

Okay so if I get everything straight, I'm going to do the following stuff in the near future:

Buy a new heatsink
Buy toothpaste

Buy a 90mm for the back, 80mm for the front and 90mm for the side. I'll take some measurements tomorrow but I'm pretty sure my side panel can't take 120mm
I was wondering... can I buy any heatsink? I have an i5 750 @2.67GHz. Which one would you guys recommend? Also, should I put the toothpaste (I'll look up a guide for how to do this) right on the new heatsink?

Also, when I buy the 90/80mm-fans, will I be able to manually control them? I remember seeing a couple of fans back in the days that I was able to choose the fan-speed... or is this something I buy for the fans externally? In that case, what would this be called and can it be used on every fan? How do I hook it up?

Thanks a lot guys!

edit: Also, I downloaded Real Temp like everyone recommended and I can't really find the "equivalent" of CPU-temp here... I see 8 different temperatures, which one is it I should be looking it?

2Yc7P.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I bought Endless Space Emperor Edition in GMG before during the discounts on everything. Now, it has three product keys when I run it on steam. Where do I put them? The game doesn't seem to have any place to where to put them.

K' Dash

does anyone here know how the fuck I'm I supposed to change the video setting on POP forgotten sands?

I tried in the Uplay launcher but when I click on "game settings" it doesn't show anything.

Halp!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
edit: Also, I downloaded Real Temp like everyone recommended and I can't really find the "equivalent" of CPU-temp here... I see 8 different temperatures, which one is it I should be looking it?

2Yc7P.jpg

Your "overall CPU temp" is shit anyway. What matters is the temp of each core, and that's what "temperature" means.

TJ Max is the maximum projected temperature your cores should arrive. However, that program shows how far away from the Maximum temperature your cores are (in this case, 40 and something degrees). It's usually 100, but here's where the thing gets ugly: I don't know if RealTemp is tuned for i3, i5 and i7 series of computers, so I can't really help you there.

Knowing that, this screen tells you that all your cores have a red LOG flag on their thermal status. That, if I remember correctly, tells you that they have reached their maximum temp and have throttled down. At least that's how it worked on RealTemp and quad core computers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
edit: Isn't it ironic? I'm one of the few people who actually manages to play games on Steam, and I'm forced not to or I'll fuck my computer up :( I just want to get this over with so I can start playing games again! Even Portal 2 is on hold because of this bullshit!

you should get Core Temp yoshi
Apparantly, I had that on my computer as-well :lol

fxu0Q.jpg

s7evn

edit: Isn't it ironic? I'm one of the few people who actually manages to play games on Steam, and I'm forced not to or I'll fuck my computer up :( I just want to get this over with so I can start playing games again! Even Portal 2 is on hold because of this bullshit!

Apparantly, I had that on my computer as-well :lol

fxu0Q.jpg

Looks like mine when I'm playing, though D3 would push my gpu to 90+. I'm at 43 right now.

I think something happened to the thermal paste when you were placing the heatsink on the cpu. Either that or the heatsink isn't firmly attached. Or maybe even the cpu wasn't clamped down fully before you put on the heatsink and the whole thing is loose.

Did you put this PC together or did someone else do it for you?

s7evn

I think something happened to the thermal paste when you were placing the heatsink on the cpu. Either that or the heatsink isn't firmly attached. Or maybe even the cpu wasn't clamped down fully before you put on the heatsink and the whole thing is loose.

I think he said a company built it for him.

Yoshichan

does the number fluctuate a lot?
They're very consistent. It goes up and down with one or two Celsius not so often.

Now that I think about it... I actually put my finger on the thermal paste many times when I took out the heatsink... I must've played with it for a while ._. ...
I think he said a company built it for him.
This is true, but I also opened my case yesterday and took out almost every part except for the PSU and motherboard ._.

Yoshichan

You are kidding with us right.
Holy shit, am I embarrassed right now... this is literally the first time I've done anything other than just changing my RAM/GPU/PSU, so taking out the heatsink was new to me... and I thought that thermal paste was like, dust or something...

edit: leaving for work right now, I'll be able to check out GAF maybe once every hour from now on! Hopefully I didn't fuck up too badly...

catabarez

So my girlfriend and I were browsing through our Steam collections looking for games we both could play locally, after having played Rayman Origins (which we're about to finish) and Trine 2, and we decided to give Street Fighter IV a shot... she proceeded to kick my ass swiftly and repeatedly
KuGsj.gif

Any other recommendations for good local multiplayer games? I was hoping for Burnout Paradise to have a splitscreen vs mode, but from what I read online it doesn't have one :(

And while we're at it, anyone know of a good SFIV beginners guide? :p

Portal 2 can be played split screen with a little tweaking. It works perfectly.

Katoki

Well, the stock fan's paste isn't all that great anyway since I personally feel that they put too much as standard. At least he'll get to properly do it this time and maybe pick up an aftermarket cooler for better temps while he's at it since the Intel coolers now are better but not great by any stretch.

Also, it's much more amusing imagining a Yoshi touching the thermal paste not knowing as much as your avatar saying what's in the quote so all's well.

In Yoshi's defense the first time I bought thermal paste and applied it I thought it was like a powder or something too. I know it says paste in the name, but still for whatever reason I thought it was going to be some powdery stuff. I guess reading the description that it is crushed metals can give that impression.

Salsa

dont all i5's come with some sort of more-solid pre-installed thermal paste at the bottom of the cooler that melts after some use? or am I just thinking of the 2500k model?

if so, that should work fine, even if not ideal

Katoki

dont all i5's come with some sort of more-solid pre-installed thermal paste at the bottom of the cooler that melts after some use? or am I just thinking of the 2500k model?

It's not so much the type of paste but the amount that's there that bothers me. It seems caked on significantly thicker considering how much really needs to be used.

Also, I recall reading bits here and there about the 2500k's stock CPU cooler being made out of better materials than say the i5-2400 or 2300. But hey! Internet speculation. But at this point he's been touching it so he may as well clean it and redo it even if he doesn't go aftermarket.

Besides, good experience.

PewPewK

Generally, I think so.

As for Yoshi, I'm coming in late to this convo, but it seems like you're having CPU overheating issues? I'd say you could either a) completely get a new heatsink/cooler or b) replace the thermal compound yourself.

If you go down the A route, here's a $50 heatsink that'll work with your i5-750. They're not hard to install, but they're also not incredibly simple. The larger ones often require you to install a backplate onto the motherboard, which may or may not require you taking the motherboard out (depends on if your case has a removable shield over the back of the motherboard). Instructions are obviously included with the heatsink, but obvious words of wisdom: be careful.

B is pretty easy and cheap, just order some online (don't go for the ultra cheap stuff) and use some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.

Sober

Oh damn Yoshi, I have a case similar to yours. I only have the rear outtake fan installed but I'm sure if you have at least the intake fan, it should help plenty, unless you also happen to be like me and your room is just hotter in the summer.

You can stick some more fans on your case, usually by the video card if you want too, I have the same grill pattern on the side of mine.

Next computer I'm building I am totally not skimping on the case this time.

People who have temps hovering around 30C or so need to tell us if that is with stock or aftermarket stuff. Also, what case they have because some are just built better or come with more room for fans to be installed.

PewPewK

Get Artic Silver 5 or MX-4 or whatever the dope one is now

Linked to Amazon for the lazy.

Oh damn Yoshi, I have a case similar to yours. I only have the rear outtake fan installed but I'm sure if you have at least the intake fan, it should help plenty, unless you also happen to be like me and your room is just hotter in the summer.

You can stick some more fans on your case, usually by the video card if you want too, I have the same grill pattern on the side of mine.

Next computer I'm building I am totally not skimping on the case this time.

People who have temps hovering around 30C or so need to tell us if that is with stock or aftermarket stuff. Also, what case they have because some are just built better or come with more room for fans to be installed.

More fans aren't always the answer. If cable management is poor, it could be blocking airflow internally. It's hard to say. Of course, more fans can't hurt, but keep in mind how much louder it'll make your computer, etc.

I'm definitely not the person to compare temps to because I have my own custom water-cooling system on, but here are mine for reference:

tM64D.jpg

The CPU is high, but all components under full load generally only climb an additional 5 degrees Celsius and I've overclocked, as well.

30 C temps are hard to reach if not impossible with most stock coolers. Anyone around that mark probably has an aftermarket solution.

trinest

I bought Endless Space Emperor Edition in GMG before during the discounts on everything. Now, it has three product keys when I run it on steam. Where do I put them? The game doesn't seem to have any place to where to put them.

They give you various points and award tokens on the developers forums.

kafiend

I was wondering... can I buy any heatsink? I have an i5 750 @2.67GHz. Which one would you guys recommend? Also, should I put the toothpaste (I'll look up a guide for how to do this) right on the new heatsink?

Also, when I buy the 90/80mm-fans, will I be able to manually control them? I remember seeing a couple of fans back in the days that I was able to choose the fan-speed... or is this something I buy for the fans externally? In that case, what would this be called and can it be used on every fan? How do I hook it up?

I just wanted to say before you took advice about which cooler is the best that you should check the height of them to make sure they will fit inside your case. Don't forget your case measurement is NOT the height the cooler sits at because of the mobo/cpu mount etc. See picture below to see how a Hyper 212 is fitted onto a chip mounted horizontal to the mobo.

Its possible that replacing the thermal paste will make some difference but it will depend on the state of the existing paste that's already in place and you won't know that until you take it apart.

Adding fans to create air flow will make a large amount of difference to the ambient air temperature so lowering the temperature of the air that arrives onto the cooler will also make a difference. Make sure you run the case SHUT as they are designed to run closed. I see the picture of your case yesterday and the side panel has a funnel that runs outside the case right onto the cpu cooler so I'm not convinced that its all about ambient air temperature inside the case. Though having flow in the case is a good ting to have.

Some mobos or cases have fan control speed things built in but i don't think your will have that built in. If you want one of those, buy a fan control unit that gets mounted either at the back or front of the case that you can control manually.

You could go into the BIOS tho and look at anything there that might help you with fans/cpu temp. There could e some override settings in there.

imageview.php

Toki767

There is a look at my temperatures. For my CPU, it's 29°C on idle, 39°C on load which is when I play a game.

GPU is 38°C on idle and 70ish when I play a game which is typically what you'd find on an average video card these days.

Obviously you probably shouldn't aim for numbers as low as mine since every computer differs, but as long as you're hitting around what other people get around here who don't uber customize their computers with cooling systems, you'll probably be fine.

Sober

Most hardware can go to around 100C iirc before anything bad happens and most hardware manufacturers usually have the mobo or something shut you off if it gets too dangerous. If you are pushing 90C or so though, I would back off a bit somehow. Mine idles at ~55C unfortunately but doesn't go past 85C too often. Plus it's the summer so stuff is bound to be a bit hotter I think.

On Yoshichan's behest I finally finished Bastion

The game is pretty good. It took a while for the levels to actually become levels; when they finally became meaty the game was over :(

The game does a lot of interesting things what with variable difficulty with the idols, switchable upgrades on weapons, along and all the secret skills leading to a surprising amount of customization.

I just wish it was a bit bigger...

and holy shit I bought it almost a year ago

Yoshichan

Hey guys, finally home from work. Thanks a lot for the help but I'm more confused than ever right now.

If I buy both new paste and a heat-sink, do I put the paste in it or do I only have to put that once every year or so? Also I'm very confused which heat-sink to buy now... these measurements are just scaring me. First I need to worry about if my mobo can handle it (?), then I need to make sure that it fits my case? Good lord ._.

And the fact that I have to buy everything from my own (Swedish) sites just adds a layer of difficulty since some stuff from Amazon aren't available here...

Thrakier

Hey guys, finally home from work. Thanks a lot for the help but I'm more confused than ever right now.

If I buy both new paste and a heat-sink, do I put the paste in it or do I only have to put that once every year or so? Also I'm very confused which heat-sink to buy now... these measurements are just scaring me. First I need to worry about if my mobo can handle it (?), then I need to make sure that it fits my case? Good lord ._.

And the fact that I have to buy everything from my own (Swedish) sites just adds a layer of difficulty since some stuff from Amazon aren't available here...

I'd suggest going back to the shop where you bought it. Purchase a new cooler from them and ask them to put it on there. It's the easiest solution.

Yoshichan

I'd suggest going back to the shop where you bought it. Purchase a new cooler from them and ask them to put it on there. It's the easiest solution.
This is actually very reasonable... I should totally do that!

edit: Might as-well tell them to add a couple of fans right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, so, in the process of using FRAPS to record a strange issue I was experiencing in Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures -- the inability to jump when on any Lego platform (the bug doesn't occur when standing on the "real" game world) -- I inadvertently discovered the cause: too high a framerate. I kid you not: when running the game uncapped at ~300fps, the bug was relentless, but when I began recording with FRAPS, which dropped the framerate considerably, I could freely jump around, regardless of what my character was standing on.

How strange!

ne1

This is actually very reasonable... I should totally do that!

edit: Might as-well tell them to add a couple of fans right?

Yeah, that's probably the easiest solution.
If you decide to try it yourself sweclockers.com has a lot of good info, such as this cooling paste faq. All in swedish.
For top performance you should probably go for a Phantek or Thermalright silver arrow but if you don't plan on overclocking too much something like the CM 212 evo will probably serve you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom