• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Huh, I don't know about Driver. On one hand, I liked the first game a lot and I hear nothing but good things about this one, but on the other, summer sales are two weeks away and I really want to grab some pizza tonight (apparently Argentina is much cheaper than "Uruguay").

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gabe's got you're back:

NFYmG.png

I think that, even though many of us know the rule by heart, it's never really explained.

So i'll do my best with my shitty grammar:

On big Sale Events (Publisher weekends, Summer Sale, Winter Sale, Haloween sale), in which the entirety of a catalog is on sale (usually something between 25% and 50% off) for a period of time, if you want a game so badly that you're on the verge of buying it right now, don't do it.

Wait until the last day of the sale, since there's at least one heavily discounted game on each day of the sale. If by the last day, the game you want did not go into a daily sale, you're free to purchase it with the regular publisher/service-wide discount.

HOWEVER, if the game you want is on sale for 75% or more, even if it's not a daily deal, be glad to pick it up outside of the rules explained before, as it's most likely a pricing error that will be fixed anywhere between 5 minutes and 1 hour after that price went up.

I don't think there has been a record of something going up for 75% off for real and getting a bigger discount on a daily deal. The chance that the 75% discount is an error is far greater than it's an actual discount that will get even bigger in the duration of the sale.

I hope this gets engraved on every Steam user's mind. If not, don't worry: You'll learn your lesson the moment you buy something for 25% off and it's 75% off in the next 2 days.

Eusis

Haha, yeah, it's an improvement that exists far more in a theoretical sense rather than practical.
At least it fixes the problem of the internet cutting on you, or their servers being somewhat wonky, you get playing and it's smooth sailing.

Honestly, that's 98% as awful as an always-online requirement.

Doesn't Steam itself now have this form of DRM?

I can no longer launch Steam in offline mode initially (so now access to games), however if I am signed into Steam and then go into offline mode everything works fine.

zkylon

zkylewd

I can no longer launch Steam in offline mode initially (so now access to games), however if I am signed into Steam and then go into offline mode everything works fine.
For me, not really. Offline mode works perfectly for me, though I get no cheevos :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Offline Mode working as intended is a crapshoot. It needs to be overhauled.

Blizzard

Banned
Offline mode really does seem to be a crapshoot. I don't know that I've ever had a problem with it on my desktop PC, some people have apparently even been able to play offline and be rewarded their achievements when they go back online, and some people swear it doesn't work at all (presumably even if they disable their network adapter).

I wish Valve would say ANYTHING at all about it, but like most everything else, Valve are nearly 100% silent about such things aside from the Steam page saying to manually go offline, which is obviously terrible and shouldn't be the only option.

Yaska

Offline mode really does seem to be a crapshoot. I don't know that I've ever had a problem with it on my desktop PC, some people have apparently even been able to play offline and be rewarded their achievements when they go back online, and some people swear it doesn't work at all (presumably even if they disable their network adapter).

I wish Valve would say ANYTHING at all about it, but like most everything else, Valve are nearly 100% silent about such things aside from the Steam page saying to manually go offline, which is obviously terrible and shouldn't be the only option.

Worked always perfectly for me. Got achievements and played games. Civ 5 on train without internet is so welcome ^^

Eusis

Driver has Ubisoft's Always-On DRM and the problem with that is their Always-On DRM servers are not always on.
It actually makes me somewhat confident we really may not see always online DRM adopted: if it's too much hassle for a big publisher like them what are the odds the rest will REALLY want to do this for DRM alone? More likely it gets used for crap like SimCity's economic ideas or Diablo III's RMAH, as running those servers JUST to thwart piracy seems like it might cost enough to cancel out the extra copies sold.

Bah, I bought Driver a few weeks ago on a different service and didn't get around to playing until this weekend. Should have waited.

Definitely worth it at that price if you're at all interested. It's easily one of the most creative racers I've seen in a long while, and there are a few fun "wtf" moments in the story.

gdt

Godfuckingdammit! I have no money in my account at the moment. Super tapped out this week. Been waiting for Driver to go this low forever. Dammit, get paid Tuesday...this deal hadddd to be on Sunday lol. I wonder if this'll get a daily deal during the summer sale...kinda doubt it now that it's today's deal.

epmode

Offline mode has always worked for me. But my big concern is that I trust Steam far more than I trust Ubi's authentication servers. Those things cost money (even if it isn't much) and public companies do all sorts of stupid stuff in the name of cost-cutting.

...and the online requirement is lousy for the three people who play games in locations without internet access.

Eusis

Godfuckingdammit! I have no money in my account at the moment. Super tapped out this week. Been waiting for Driver to go this low forever. Dammit, get paid Tuesday...this deal hadddd to be on Sunday lol. I wonder if this'll get a daily deal during the summer sale...kinda doubt it now that it's today's deal.
I think we've had sales close to the summer one that were still included, but it's probably not going to get cheaper. Good enough for your scenario, but probably not anyone still holding out.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

You guys don't have Credit Cards? They have this amazing feature where you can charge things to them and they only charge them back to you at a later date, for events like these, in which an opportunity is presented to you and you can't financially take advantage of it.

With them Credit Cards you can take the opportunity at hand. But be aware, one needs to have control over his finances to be able to combine both the gift of buying things without having money for it and not being bankrupt in two months.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I am torn on the digital deluxe edition or not. Not sure how the challenges are, if they are worth it. I might just get the regular I guess.

Alex

I have heard so many good things about Driver and it seems like something I'd like to play currently, so I'll give it a whirl.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Best way to never have to worry about the unexpected need for offline mode is have your computer ready to receive internet through your smartphone. Then it's as easy as selecting offline mode and unplugging your phone.

Sucks that you have to do that, though.

gdt

You guys don't have Credit Cards? They have this amazing feature where you can charge things to them and they only charge them back to you at a later date, for events like these, in which an opportunity is presented to you and you can't financially take advantage of it.

With them Credit Cards you can take the opportunity at hand. But be aware, one needs to have control over his finances to be able to combine both the gift of buying things without having money for it and not being bankrupt in two months.

lol

Nope. I got one when I started college, living on my own, and it didn't turn out so good (not anything crazy though). Haven't gotten around to getting another one now that I'm not a dummy.

Wok

Be careful with credit cards kids. They're a great tool for good but can also be your ruin.

I got one when I started college, living on my own, and it didn't turn out so good (not anything crazy though). Haven't gotten around to getting another one now that I'm not a dummy.

Games do get cheaper with time.
And credit can be risky: people do get in trouble with credit cards.
So: if you don't have the money, it is a good reason to wait for the Steam Winter sales.
By the time, clear some of your backlog.

Aselith

I have heard so many good things about Driver and it seems like something I'd like to play currently, so I'll give it a whirl.

I don't know how active the online is anymore but I played the multiplayer on console and had a blast with it. The body hopping thing makes for some really interesting modes.

gdt

Its no big deal. I always have plenty of money on hand, but with a car thing that happened this week, my new girlfriends birthday, and father's day, I just can't spare anything atm. Won't dip into saving either lol.

No biggie, I am going to molest the steam sale.

Deluxe edition worth it?

Crud. Didn't even notice the Deluxe edition. Bugging Steam support now to see if they can help me out.

EDIT: It looks like you can buy the challenge pack that comes in the deluxe version for 40 Ubisoft achievement points. I've got 130 left over from the various Ass Creeds. Neat.

If you guys dont get Driver SF then I'll hate you forever

close to my 2011 GOTY

80 on Metacritic and 8.0 on Gametrailers?? I'll bite.

Hell even if I play this game for only 8 hours, it'll be at less than a dollar an hour. Much better than spending 8 bucks on a matinee movie ticket for PROMETHEUS, lol.

Nice call, Salsa.

BioHazard

I think a lot of people will write this one off and say the Driver series is dead, but this is a pretty worthy installment. Yea the story is…strange… the cutscenes and voice acting is cheesy (but funny). But the driving is just plain fun in this game. It controls great (I used the 360 pad) and the multiplayer is tons of fun, too bad not many are playing now on PC. Add in a badass car selection and a great Driver-series-esque soundtrack and it’s a great game.

I did things like this for far too long:

4Ohfm.jpg

IWybq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom