• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I have a different Driver problem. At 1920X1080 I have a black border. Only game this happens.

Are you using an AMD card by any chance? I had the exact same problem. Turns out that the game is locked at 50hz if you are using an HDMI cable. There's an option in the Catalyst control panel (I can't remember the exact name and I don't have the panel installed anymore). It's something like "My digital display" or something like that. In there you have an option to increase the screen size that your videocard output. It's refresh rate specific so you might need to do it while the game is running. I did it once and it was fixed from there and never had to touch it again.

This also means that the game is stuck at 50fps when Vsync is enabled. I have to play without vsync which is fine for the most part since the games locks at 120fps but the cutscenes have crazy screen tearing. It's still playable (and better than running at 50fps) but it's a stupid bug.

I've seen a few posts here mocking the questions about the Steam sale. So right up front I'm going to say "I'm sorry."

I just got a gaming capable laptop a month or so ago -- mostly to play Diablo III. I just got $20 in Steam money for Father's Day. I have a list of games in my wishlist, most of them ranging from relatively recent to positively ancient.

What I'm wondering is whether some of these "forgotten" games -- like Age of Wonders 2 for instance -- go on sale during this summer blitzkrieg, or whether it's more of the recent variety of games.

Jomjom

Banned
I've seen a few posts here mocking the questions about the Steam sale. So right up front I'm going to say "I'm sorry."

I just got a gaming capable laptop a month or so ago -- mostly to play Diablo III. I just got $20 in Steam money for Father's Day. I have a list of games in my wishlist, most of them ranging from relatively recent to positively ancient.

What I'm wondering is whether some of these "forgotten" games -- like Age of Wonders 2 for instance -- go on sale during this summer blitzkrieg, or whether it's more of the recent variety of games.

Lots of old "forgotten" game go on sale during the summer sale. I don't remember seeing Age of Wonders 2 specifically last year, but there are definitely some old games offered at a heavy discount.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Virtually everything goes on sale during the two big sale periods ("Summer" and Christmas). Continuing with your example, AoW2 may not be a daily, but it's all but assured to be discounted to some extent.

Lots of old "forgotten" game go on sale during the summer sale. I don't remember seeing Age of Wonders 2 specifically last year, but there are definitely some old games offered at a heavy discount.

Excellent. I'll hold onto my loot for now and see what becomes available.

Edit: Thanks!

Jomjom

Banned
Virtually everything goes on sale during the two big sale periods ("Summer" and Christmas). Continuing with your example, AoW2 may not be a daily, but it's all but assured to be discounted to some extent.

Oh yeah totally forgot that. Almost everything goes on sale for like 25%-40% even if it's not a daily.

Megasoum

Banned
What's the best arcade racer available on steam right now?

Pretty sure it's closer to:

Origin - 1
Steam - Eleventy Billion

:p

Driver San Francisco? That game is fucking amazing.

Other than that I heard great thing about Burnout Paradise and the last Need For Speed Hot Pursuit but I haven't played much of either of those.

Seriously, get Driver SF, it's on sale today and it was one of my best game of 2011.

Sysgen

Are you using an AMD card by any chance? I had the exact same problem. Turns out that the game is locked at 50hz if you are using an HDMI cable. There's an option in the Catalyst control panel (I can't remember the exact name and I don't have the panel installed anymore). It's something like "My digital display" or something like that. In there you have an option to increase the screen size that your videocard output. It's refresh rate specific so you might need to do it while the game is running. I did it once and it was fixed from there and never had to touch it again.

This also means that the game is stuck at 50fps when Vsync is enabled. I have to play without vsync which is fine for the most part since the games locks at 120fps but the cutscenes have crazy screen tearing. It's still playable (and better than running at 50fps) but it's a stupid bug.

Thanks but using one of those windowed utilities that removes the window borders. 1080P windowed is fine and the utility just removes the borders so it looks the same as full screen.

chixdiggit

Driver is pretty fun and haven't a single problem. Tried it out with the MS Speed Wheel and it just doesn't really work. But at least the 360 pad works great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Driver is pretty fun and haven't a single problem. Tried it out with the MS Speed Wheel and it just doesn't really work. But at least the 360 pad works great.

Yes it does. Although it looks rather simple on the visual side. Definitely feels like a console port.

Salsa

check out some nvidia inspector settings out there, I could easily force some nice looking AA and AF, wich helped with the simple (albeit pretty good) visuals.

Effect

Question. Going to be installing Windows 7 Home Pre 64bit on my system. Going to be a clean install. I have Steam installed on a different hard drive from where my OS is installed. Is there anything I'll need to do in order to make sure Steam launches for me once I'm done with the new install?

Could I just find the exe and launch Steam and play my ames? Do I need to reinstall it?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Question. Going to be installing Windows 7 Home Pre 64bit on my system. Going to be a clean install. I have Steam installed on a different hard drive from where my OS is installed. Is there anything I'll need to do in order to make sure Steam launches for me once I'm done with the new install?

Could I just find the exe and launch Steam and play my ames? Do I need to reinstall it?

Just launch steam and it will say it needs to install itself. It will go through a few steps and you should be up and running.

camerooni

Neo Member
Wow, Driver: SF -- an Ubi game -- has no Aussie Tax. Is... is this real life?

Yeah that's been happening a bit (see also the new Ghost Recon)..

I thought things were starting to get better, as it is appearing that ubisoft is not hiking new releases, but then in other cases they are.. that techland racer thing that was up a month or two ago is for unknown reasons 12.99usd in aus and 9.99 in the states.. really.. 3 bucks?

And then of course they need to BADLY go back and reduce old games: AC Revelations 80 bucks.. really.. and AC Brotherhood 80!? Seriously.. wtf - 70 bucks? I can pick up the complete version on console from the uk for < 25.. it's 30 on steam in usd for us dwellers..

This gives me so much anger.. I'm preparing sooooo much suffering!!

Effect

Just launch steam and it will say it needs to install itself. It will go through a few steps and you should be up and running.

Great. Thanks.

I just hope Origin works the same way with Battlefield 3. I know I'll have some issues with Impulse/GameStop App but that's just on reinstalls of games I archived after they were installed.

wilflare

if anyone needs help with Driver: SF purchase, do PM!

think I'll refrain from the coming sale.
too much backlog
this is late.. but AssCreed Rev is good...

Aselith

I'm sorry for posting about the JC2 mod in this thread again, but the OT is dead and the developers streamed a bit of it yesterday
http://www.twitch.tv/jc2mp

And I doubt Avalanche is going to make them cancel the mod.
https://twitter.com/ZombieMagnus/status/214331522851930112

Yeah, they'd be insane if they tried to get it shut down. This is going to breathe new life into their game ala DayZ. The game was already well loved and being able to play multi is going to bring in a lot more people.

JaseC

Yeah that's been happening a bit (see also the new Ghost Recon)..

I thought things were starting to get better, as it is appearing that ubisoft is not hiking new releases, but then in other cases they are.. that techland racer thing that was up a month or two ago is for unknown reasons 12.99usd in aus and 9.99 in the states.. really.. 3 bucks?

And then of course they need to BADLY go back and reduce old games: AC Revelations 80 bucks.. really.. and AC Brotherhood 80!? Seriously.. wtf - 70 bucks? I can pick up the complete version on console from the uk for < 25.. it's 30 on steam in usd for us dwellers..

This gives me so much anger.. I'm preparing sooooo much suffering!!

Yeah, it's strange if not ridiculous. Thank Gaben for gifting/trading!

Pandemic

Anyone know how much the store price is for Driver: San Francisco, don't think I'll be able to fork out the $8 today, which is not a usual occurrence...

Carm

Tempted by Driver but there are a lot of turn offs.

Is any of this true on Nvidia gpus:

Turning on Vsync limits framerate to 50 fps instead of 60

Black borders at 1920x1080, if true wtf, tend to see this at 16:10 not 16:9

Steam version isn't fully patched up, so if multiplayer isn't dead (it's dead jim), you can only play with other Steam users.

HDR/Bloom missing from PC version

If any of those are true I don't understand how anyone could recommend a shoddy port, 8 bucks or not.

XDDX

Steam version isn't fully patched up, so if multiplayer isn't dead (it's dead jim), you can only play with other Steam users.

If any of those are true I don't understand how anyone could recommend a shoddy port, 8 bucks or not.
The bloom can be added in using some ENB files and the Multiplayer can only be played with people that own the Steam version. Not sure about the other things.

Zimbardo

i'm usin an nvidia setup and haven't seen any issues with Driver. no black borders ...was getting 60fps in 1080p. ran great, and looked good.

JaseC

Anyone know how much the store price is for Driver: San Francisco, don't think I'll be able to fork out the $8 today, which is not a usual occurrence...

Store price? As in its current base price on Steam or current retail price? (The standard edition is actually $7.49 as a result of the discount, if that helps at all. :p)

I just checked some screenshots and the game looked pretty dull on pc. I'll skip for now.

NCvp3.gif

Salsa's a' commin'.

wilflare

Store price? As in its current base price on Steam? (The standard edition is actually $7.49 as a result of the discount, if that helps at all. :p)

NCvp3.gif

Salsa's a' commin'.

Salsa should buy us all a copy of Driver to mark his return (yes it's been some months since he's back but still) lol

Thread bump made me think you guys knew when the steam sale is coming. Maaaaan I'm getting that itch. I haven't bought dozens of games I won't play since winter!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Because it's one of, if not the best arcade racing game this gen and the PC version is still the definitive version thanks to wheel support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom