• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piano

Banned
Dammit, I want Cities XL 2012 to be good. I so badly want to build a metropolis like the one in the video. But I guess it's terrible?

Salsa

The writing is what seals the deal for me. Premise is beyond silly and they somehow make it work, while at the same time not taking itself too seriously and being genuinely funny.

That and the awesome new gameplay mechanic are enough to make this a great, great game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm in Canada so I don't think I can take advantage of that deal on Amazon.com. Says I have to have a US address and live in the US.

Amazon.ca doesn't have download options for their PC games.

Just say you're from the US with an US address. It doesn't matter where you're actually from.

+1 in the camp for spending credit cards on videogames is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Pay your fucking rent first, for chrissake.

Also, anyone else here having issues with Jamestown or Pixeljunk Eden running on Win7x64 with an ATI card? Jamestown is giving me a runtime error and PJE keeps claiming my card doesn't support OpenGL 2.1 which is bogus. SPUF troubleshooting has yielded no results.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
+1 in the camp for spending credit cards on videogames is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Pay your fucking rent first, for chrissake.

Using a credit card to pay a 8 dollar purchase because you'll get the money in 2 days is a bad idea?

No wonder the US Financial Crisis exists.. :D

Detox

Crud. Didn't even notice the Deluxe edition. Bugging Steam support now to see if they can help me out.

EDIT: It looks like you can buy the challenge pack that comes in the deluxe version for 40 Ubisoft achievement points. I've got 130 left over from the various Ass Creeds. Neat.
Uplay is actually useful for once! Still overall as DRM it isn't beneficial.

Driving games are pretty hit or miss with me but I love me some Car chase movies. I was tempted by this sale but it seems the demo for the game was yanked from XBL and PSN and there doesn't seem to be a PC demo.

No demo no purchase for me :(

Relax.MX

My address is tied to my CC and it stops me from purchasing.

unless someone can gift it to me on steam and i will paypal them the amount.

Its no big deal. I always have plenty of money on hand, but with a car thing that happened this week, my new girlfriends birthday, and father's day, I just can't spare anything atm. Won't dip into saving either lol.

No biggie, I am going to molest the steam sale.

I can help...this is my steam id: "relaxmx" ...you can just pay me later by paypal

Caerith

lol

Nope. I got one when I started college, living on my own, and it didn't turn out so good (not anything crazy though). Haven't gotten around to getting another one now that I'm not a dummy.
As long as you pay them off in full and on time, credit cards are your best bet for anything you can actually afford to purchase. Most give you cash back and other points/rewards, they're the easiest way to build/repair your credit, and if yours gets jacked you're a lot safer than if someone jacked your debit card (which is a direct line to your bank account).

Souther

Banned
I can help...this is my steam id: "relaxmx" ...you can just pay me later by paypal

Thanks for the offer dude!

So how does it work with Amazon.com and Steam? You just purchase the game on amazon.com and you are given a code and you input that code on steam and the game shows up in your library and you can then gift it to someone if you know the steam ID?

mr. grape

Crud. Didn't even notice the Deluxe edition. Bugging Steam support now to see if they can help me out.

EDIT: It looks like you can buy the challenge pack that comes in the deluxe version for 40 Ubisoft achievement points. I've got 130 left over from the various Ass Creeds. Neat.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the challenges that you can unlock with the uplay points are completely different from the deluxe edition challenges.

Challenges from UPLAY pack:

Downtown Cruisin'
Classic Race
Legal Troubles
Smoking Allowed
(there's also another challenge you can buy using Uplay Points called Tanner's Day Off, not in the pack)

Challenges from Deluxe Edition:

Mass Chase
Russian Hills
Relay Race
Taxi

Also, I was reading on SPUF.. and it appears to be that the Steam version isn't using the newest patch, so you can't play with people from the retail version in the multiplayer, but you can play with other Steam users.

Really OT but...

I'm listening to the Irrational Interview with Todd Howard and how they look at Modern Warfare and Madden/NCA Football when Beth designs their RPGs... ugh

Edit: Also, Shawn Elliot has an awesome voice.

Driving games are pretty hit or miss with me but I love me some Car chase movies. I was tempted by this sale but it seems the demo for the game was yanked from XBL and PSN and there doesn't seem to be a PC demo.

No demo no purchase for me :(

The demo was pulled because it did a horrible job letting you know what the game is about. I loved Driver, it's a different take on the genre. It's refreshing, mechanics are solid and it's a lot of fun. If you miss out just because of the lack of demo that'd be unfortunate.

ShaneB

So how does it work with Amazon.com and Steam? You just purchase the game on amazon.com and you are given a code and you input that code on steam and the game shows up in your library and you can then gift it to someone if you know the steam ID?

Yeah, you'll get a code in your Amazon library, and just plop that into Steam and away you go.

Just to clarify, my CC is also with a canadian address, but I've purchased from amazon.com with no issues.

Looks like you've got it sorted out for now, but in the future, it should work no problem :)

Souther

Banned
Yeah, you'll get a code in your Amazon library, and just plop that into Steam and away you go.

Just to clarify, my CC is also with a canadian address, but I've purchased from amazon.com with no issues.

Looks like you've got it sorted out for now, but in the future, it should work no problem :)

Thanks for the info. How exactly are you doing it? Might help me in the future that way I wouldn't have to ask someone to gift me something and then pay them back when i could just take care of it all myself.

1-D_FTW

Here's a LTTP thread that sold me on giving Driver a chance:

Wow, this has to be the biggest positive surprise of the year. Popped in the game around 2PM hangoverish, didn't expect much. Now it's 3:15AM and I have completed the game in a single sitting - something I think I last did with Blast Corps. This game is so full of awesome its hard to know where to begin.

Tutorial
The game does an amazing job in introducing all the bizarre gameplay concepts one by one in a way that makes them feel a part of the storyline, rather than a tutorial. Rarely if ever have I seen a game mechanic unfold so beautifully.

Presentation
The way the game is presented in the game is amazing. It feels like a TV series at times and a movie at others. Every once in a while the player is treated with a superb 'previously on Driver' recap on the story.

Storyline
The story is one of the best I have seen in game. While it is obviously inspired by Life on Mars, the whole concept holds together incredibly well and never becomes entirely predictable. The cast is perfectly sized - enough people to provide variety, but few enough to make it fun to follow. I had genuine interest in the plot, which is always a feat for a videogame.

Writing
The writing in the game is consistently excellent, and really funny at times. The team has written a lot of lines to random NPCs you sit in cars with, and makes the most out of the mindjacking gag in their writing. Writing a funny game is really hard, and Driver San Francisco is probably the funniest I have ever played.

Setting and visuals
The San Francisco setting is well executed with many recognizable elements, but it's not accurate - more of a miniatyre city than the real thing. The graphics were only decent at best, while the cut scenes and people modelling was fantastic.

Gameplay
Driver San Francisco combines a seemingly endless variety of gameplay with a difficulty just perfect, resulting in a game I found impossible to put down. I was constantly surprised by new gameplay ideas and game types and wanted to keep on seeing more. I was impressed with how much mileage they got out of driving in terms of different mission types, I never felt I was repeating the same thing over and again. Also, I loved the contoversial mindjacking mechanic - it was really well integrated to takedown missions. The difficulty was absolutely brilliant - tough enough to constantly keep me at the edge of my seat, but still never frustrating. Many missions took multiple practice rounds to finish - making succeeding that much sweeter.

Lastability
While I took some 10h to finish the game, it seems that I have only scratched the surface, with tons of challenges and collectibles and different game modes remaining. I would figure there is another 10h in the game at the very least.

BOTTOMLINE
Take the most fun crashing bits of Burnout 3, the most fun cop chases and free roaming gameplay from Need for Speed Most Wanted, the epic plot treatment of Grand Theft Auto IV and combine them into a perfectly balanced and polished package - you'll get Driver San Francisco.

9/10

I assume the game did not sell a whole lot. This would be no surprise given how the marketing and packaging completely missed the Life on Mars epic storyline qualities of the game. The packaging looks bland, and even the logo has just the same old tired 90s Serpentine Bold low budget design. Had I known the depth and quality of the plot I would have jumped in much earlier.

ShaneB

Thanks for the info. How exactly are you doing it? Might help me in the future that way I wouldn't have to ask someone to gift me something and then pay them back when i could just take care of it all myself.

Just double checked, all it is is just using an American billing address. Your payment info will obviously be your CC info, but for billing address, just use an American address.

This is the one I use, which I believe which given here before. lol
120 E 87th Street
Ashland
Montana, MT 59634
United States

Steam Mover isn't for making backups, it's for moving games to another drive (like a SSD) so Steam can still find them.

To backup, just backup your /steamapps folder, /userdata and Steam.exe in the Steam folder. If you need to restore, run Steam.exe and it will automagically re-install itself and re-download all the files it needs. It's ridiculous how Steam does that, and it actually annoys me that tech hasn't been used in other Windows software.

Caerith

Somebody actually seriously sourcing cracked articles. I've seen everything now.

Beats personal anecdotes.

To be clear, you purchase the game on Amazon, it gives you a CD key, you input that CD key into Steam and it shows up in your Library, not your Inventory. Once you redeem it you're stuck with it. If you want to gift someone off of Amazon, you'd have to tell them the key and let them redeem it.

Bought Driver SF even though I still have quite a few games in my backlog. D:

So with Payday: The Heist being linked to L4D with upcoming DLC, anyone think that it'll be on the Steam Summer Sale?

It's been on sale quite a few times, I think for the Holiday sale, too. So I'm pretty sure it's going to be in a similar situation during the Summer sale.

So I picked up Driver...but It doesn't go past the ubisoft launcher. I have no idea whats going on. I press Play, and it loads for a couple seconds, and then goes right back to the launcher. Anyone have any idea how to fix this :/

So I picked up Driver...but It doesn't go past the ubisoft launcher. I have no idea whats going on. I press Play, and it loads for a couple seconds, and then goes right back to the launcher. Anyone have any idea how to fix this :/

Have you tried restarting your computer? Sometimes that works for me. Specs?

edit: checked steam forums. Might be an answer for you here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148404

edit 2: wish I knew about the deluxe edition before buying the daily. I was at Belmont when I made the purchase on my phone. Oh well I guess

Card Boy

Banned
Dammit Dead Space 2 on Steam has all this pre-order/collectors edition weapons and Armour in the Store. I never asked for this.
(in Adam Jensen voice)

Any way to disable it?

epmode

Dammit Dead Space 2 on Steam has all this pre-order/collectors edition weapons and Armour in the Store. I never asked for this.
(in Adam Jensen voice)

Any way to disable it?
I don't think so. I just never use the bonus garbage.

Card Boy

Banned
I don't think so. I just never use the bonus garbage.

I would be fine with it if you had to find the schematics and it costs lots of credits but its available straight up for free. It's like the game is begging you to cheat. Reminds me of the Blood Dragon Armour in Dragon Age.

mr. grape

(in Adam Jensen voice)

Any way to disable it?

I don't think you can disable it on Steam, but you could always take your serial key and register it on Origin to play without the DLC.

Sysgen

(in Adam Jensen voice)

Any way to disable it?

You can play the Origin version without the dlc being unlocked form the beginning.

Have you tried restarting your computer? Sometimes that works for me. Specs?

edit: checked steam forums. Might be an answer for you here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148404

I tried restarting, didn't work.
I checked the forums, but nothing worked.
So I'm trying the one thing I always forget about...verifying the cache.

And it didn't work.

yn2kH.png

mr. grape

I have a different Driver problem. At 1920X1080 I have a black border. Only game this happens.

I have a black border at 1920x1200. I just assumed that this game didn't display 16:10. There is a fix, you can launch the game using the .exe file found here: http://www.wsgf.org/node/17175

But I'm not sure if that affects anything negatively, the .exe is for the retail version which has a slightly different version number than the Steam version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom