• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tony, do you guys know if you'll have a 4 pack for Borderlands 2? Do you guys do 4 packs at all? It seems like a no brainer for this to be the first game if not seeing as how it is based around the concept of 4 player co-op. The main reason' I'd buy it from Steam store pre-order is that I'm hoping they'll have a 4 pack like they did for Borderlands 1.

We do sometimes to 4-packs and 2 packs (2 pack of syndicate coming up for $20 on 7/28). I'm working on getting a 4-pack for BL2 and I will know more tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony

derExperte

PAYDAY: The Heist is currently downloading the update with the new L4D-mission. Can't wait, hope it will get a few more people playing again.

ShaneB

My recent purchase of Divine Divinity means I am obligated to purchase this.

GAF sole me on getting Divine Divinity during the sale, and the few minutes I played I could tell it would be something I'd love. Should I interested in Divinity 2 in the same way?

Mako_Drug

Can anyone in the US or a region where L4D2 isn't censored gift me a copy while its cheap, I'll paypal you first. I asked when it was up during the summer sale but no one came to my aid :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On the subject of badges, my wild guess is that a rewards system will be announced alongside that of badges being awarded for playing Steamworks achievement-enabled games.

Thanks haha.. Jasec is that you? New avatar scared me lol

The image is from Byzantium! It was announced yesterday that the film is to premiere at TIFF, in a couple of months. I was actually going to fly over to attend -- you know, make a holiday of it -- but a while ago I realised I won't have the money. Salt, meet wound.

wilflare

The AMD APU's are great for gaming, although with those laptops you will only be able to play games like Witcher 2 or BF3 on all low settings. Games that are a rung down from that, Like Mass Effect and the Batman games, you would be able to run on medium to medium/high.You would probably want something a little further up the line that is capable of medium settings in the top of the line games.

You are a PC gamer. If I were you I would sell that macbook pro and look for a gaming laptop in the area of $600. You would be able to get something pretty capable in that price range.

If you look in the OP for the PC hardware thread there is a link to the gaming laptop thread. As soon as you get to the US you would be able to order one.

Where are you going to be in the U.S.?

Edit: Heres a link to the laptop thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386622

heading to New York for a week
then will spend most of my time at University of Wisconsin-Madison :X
haha reason why i went mac was it's relatively maintenance free

most gaming (back home) are down on my Desktop PC

On the subject of badges, my wild guess is that a rewards system will be announced alongside that of badges being awarded for playing Steamworks achievement-enabled games.

The image is from Byzantium! It was announced yesterday that the film is to premiere at TIFF, in a couple of months. I was actually going to fly over to attend -- you know, make a holiday of it -- but a while ago I realised I won't have the money. Salt, meet wound.
Ah, I hope a system like that comes in too, it would make Steam a little more interesting.
Ohh that's Saoirse also? I only found out about her from your other avatar but she's awesome. Sorry to hear you couldn't go.
So. The Ys games. Do i start with Origin or The Oath?
I prefer Oath of Felghana. Much is up to preference though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Cheers. As i'm super indecisive though. Would you recommend one being a better place to start? Or should i just flip a coin really?

Oath has towns that lead into several dungeons and plays more like a traditional RPG. Origin takes place in a single dungeon.

Oath is cheaper if that's an issue for you.

JaseC

Ah, I hope a system like that comes in too, it would make Steam a little more interesting.

It'd greatly encourage people to play otherwise-neglected games, which, well, isn't an issue, but something that could be solved nonetheless.

Ohh that's Saoirse also? I only found out about her from your other avatar but she's awesome.

:brofist

Sorry to hear you couldn't go.

There's always next year. :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
GAF sole me on getting Divine Divinity during the sale, and the few minutes I played I could tell it would be something I'd love. Should I interested in Divinity 2 in the same way?

I haven't play divine divinity, and divinity 2 is not really the same game, but I think it's pretty fun.

You can turn into a
dragon
. What more can you ask for?

Exuro

It'd greatly encourage people to play otherwise-neglected games, which, well, isn't an issue, but something that could be solved nonetheless.
What kind of reward system? I myself wouldn't mind them just adding Badge "milestones" like they did with the sale with games. Get a number of achievements in a game and unlock the first badge and so on. It's probably shallow of me but I would go back and check out games I haven't played in a while with a better achievement system.

Cheers. As i'm super indecisive though. Would you recommend one being a better place to start? Or should i just flip a coin really?

Ultimately, Oath is a "proper" Ys experience, in that there's some adventuring and a town etc while Origin is basically one big linear dunegon and without Adol, instead having multiple characters and subsequently multiple ways of playing the game and changes in the plot relevant to that character. When all is said and done, when compairing the two as an introduction to the Ys series I'd probably say "whatever is cheaper right now", which in this case is Oath. You'll get your money's worth in either case.

Exuro

That's the million-badge question. Free games? Discount coupons? Earn 1000 badges, receive Half-Life 3? :p
I guess if they wanted to, Valve could talk with devs on integrating company/game specific coupons. So like "100% Skyrim Badge"(earned from getting every Steam achievement) get 10% off Dawnguard, or maybe some other Bethesda game. Has Valve done a lot to people who use those achievement unlocker programs?

JaseC

I guess if they wanted to, Valve could talk with devs on integrating company/game specific coupons. So like "100% Skyrim Badge"(earned from getting every Steam achievement) get 10% off Dawnguard, or maybe some other Bethesda game. Has Valve done a lot to people who use those achievement unlocker programs?

Not really, but it goes without saying that would have to change should a reward system be announced. Since it's obvious when an edited/someone else's save is used, as it unlocks achievements at exactly the same time (I confess that I made use of a third-party save file to work my way through the Portal 2 ARG, namely Cogs), it'd even be possible to retroactively set them as unattained.

Think i'll start with Oath then. Grabbed the both during the steam sale. Just didn't know which to start with.

Cheers guys.

Choice well taken sir :) (Btw I keep saying Oath of Felghana, sigh lol).
I originally began with Origin because I bought it first. Then I started Felghana a little later and I'm sticking through with it. I really appreciated the town, I'm kind of a homeboy.

LuffyZoro

Choice well taken sir :) (Btw I keep saying Oath of Felghana, sigh lol).
I originally began with Origin because I bought it first but started Felghana a little later and am sticking through with it. I really appreciated the town, I'm kind of a homeboy.

I keep saying Oath in Felanaga.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Don't get Lucid. It's like, the worst puzzle game I've ever played. I don't even know if there's a hint of hyperbole in there.

Netto-kun

Forgot that I still have two unused Steam keys for Trine 2 75% discount coupon. One is regular version, the other one is Collector's Edition.

Quote to reveal.

Trine 2 75% Discount Coupon
Trine 2 Collector's Edition 75% Discount Coupon

DTKT

Dead Island is so fuckin buggy.

Just finished a coop game where my gun recoil send my character spinning for 3 seconds, infected attacked through walls and we kept getting desynced.

What a nightmare.

louiedog

Resonance looks intriguing. Any impressions or reviews floating in the wild?

It's been out for weeks so you shouldn't have any problems searching for reviews.

I'm about 3 hours in and it's interesting. There are multiple characters to control, interesting mechanics like short/long term memories that you can use to talk to people about events and the environment, and it seems like there might even be some reasons to replay it beyond just seeing the story again, which is rare in an adventure game. If you like the genre it's worth playing at some point for sure.

ShaneB

New Release - Resonance 10% off at $8.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/212050/

Looks pretty neat to me. I've never heard of it.

Resonance looks intriguing. Any impressions or reviews floating in the wild?

It's been out for a while via GOG and the developers website. Here's the OT Same folks who made published Gemini Rue and the Blackwell games... I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out louiedog! Was just thinking of the publisher. Pretty high praise for this modern adventure game revival.

I loved Gemini Rue, but found the ui a bit clunky at times.

Resonance has been on my radar for a while, but right now, sigh.... i'll wait for a bigger discount, or the eventual indie bundle it appears in.

edit: well aren't I slow.

2nd edit: Speaking of adventure games, I didn't realize there was a Steamstore page for Deponia, neat!

louiedog

Actually, Gemini Rue and Resonance are both published by Wadjet Eye, but designed by completely different people. They have the same visual style and are both made with Adventure Game Studio, but are pretty different.

HoosTrax

Actually, Gemini Rue and Resonance are both published by Wadjet Eye, but designed by completely different people. They have the same visual style and are both made with Adventure Game Studio, but are pretty different.
Are there any...awkward...combat sequences in this game like there was in Gemini Rue :\ ?

louiedog

Are there any...awkward...combat sequences in this game like there was in Gemini Rue :\ ?

I'm only a few hours in, but I haven't seen any. There was a sequence where I had to move quickly and click on the appropriate things in a short amount of time and I found it to be frustrating on my laptop with a touchpad. Other than that it's just puzzles so far.

Oh, that No Mercy map for Payday is out. No fanfare like last time, Overkill? guess it bit you in the bottom :p

what is it with L4D not having any fanfare at all? All other Valve games make huge deals about DLC, with trailers, hype building promo pages, and lots of advertising.

L4D2 gets a new DLC and a new crossover and it's a quiet little patch on a tuesday with a small blog post and a really boring promo page that lists a bunch of generic non-DLC related news.

louiedog

I should also point out that Resonance, Gemini Rue, the Blackwell series, Ben There, Dan that, etc. are Adventure Game Studios games. I've successfully launched AGS games without Steam running, so they're essentially DRM free.

There's also a version of the engine for Android. I've taken a couple of my AGS games from Steam and played them on an Android tablet. I have not tried it with Resonance or Gemini Rue yet. The interface wasn't great, but my last attempt was months ago and a few updates have been released since then. Just a heads up for anyone who is interested in adventure games on the go.

info

HoosTrax

what is it with L4D not having any fanfare at all? All other Valve games make huge deals about DLC, with trailers, hype building promo pages, and lots of advertising.

L4D2 gets a new DLC and a new crossover and it's a quiet little patch on a tuesday with a small blog post and a really boring promo page that lists a bunch of generic non-DLC related news.
I don't know, but I was casually scroll down the L4D blog, before I did a double take when I saw this messed up looking picture:

57232069.png

Wtf...

JustinBB7

There's nothing really new in it, Cold Stream was already playable for months, and all the mutations have been rotating for months (years?)

It's only really new for 360, but who cares about that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom