• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

57232069.png

Wtf...

I know... penguins are supposed to have webbed feet.

Hey Tony, do you guys know if you'll have a 4 pack for Borderlands 2? Do you guys do 4 packs at all? It seems like a no brainer for this to be the first game if not seeing as how it is based around the concept of 4 player co-op. The main reason' I'd buy it from Steam store pre-order is that I'm hoping they'll have a 4 pack like they did for Borderlands 1.

Got an answer this morning:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OWV050/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - We'll have this for $161.99 ($40.50/copy) from now until the game launches. If you have purchased Borderlands GOTY from us, or purchase from 7/26-7/30 you'll get an additional $18 off this item, making it $143.99 ($35.99/copy). You have to use the coupon before end of day PST on 7/30 though. Promo starts at 1PM tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony

Salsa

what is it with L4D not having any fanfare at all? All other Valve games make huge deals about DLC, with trailers, hype building promo pages, and lots of advertising.

L4D2 gets a new DLC and a new crossover and it's a quiet little patch on a tuesday with a small blog post and a really boring promo page that lists a bunch of generic non-DLC related news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzjTbBCZTI

one of my favorite trailers of all time really

http://youtu.be/2QRfAkdhgs4

also great

so yeah, you're just missing them :p

K' Dash

GAF I have a problem that is driving me crazy, I bought POP forgotten sands on the summer sale, I've been trying to play it but there's an issue: Its showing a resolution of 1080/24p with black borders on the four sides of the screen.

I've tried everything with the CCC, forcing new res with 60Hz refresh rate, changing options here and there as recommended on some sites, but nothing, this is frustrating me A LOT.

Is there a way to fix this, or a way to force 1080p 60Hz always?

Scamco has slapped an Aussie Tax on Dark Souls.

Was: $39.99
Now: $69.95

Wow, that's crappy. Would you just have to get it from another seller like Greenman Gaming?

That's high praise. Now I have to check it out.

I found the story and characters more interesting, puzzles were more fun, and it didn't have any offputting segments like shooting that seemed out of place. Although it does have one area that seems to annoy people, I had no trouble with it. The one thing I do like about Gemini Rue more is its cyberpunk atmosphere.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, that's crappy. Would you just have to get it from another seller like Greenman Gaming?

Yeah, and I've been eying GMG anyway, since the game can be bought for $32 using a -20% code. The recent price hike on Steam just informs Scamco's well-deserved nickname all the more.

Also, Garry's Mod is getting a fat update. It'll be pretty much be a re-write, and it'll go public 24th September. If you want to get in early, there's still 2000 beta keys left here. Do note that in the great tradition of betas, things be borked (in this case, the Mac version and the Linux server software).

JaseC

I thought games were more expensive in Australia anyway?

At retail? Sure, generally speaking (Diablo 3 could be found for $58 at launch, to offer a rare counter-example). It's a slightly different story for DD services such as Steam, and indeed some publishers -- for example, Valve and self-publishing indies -- decide against Aussie Taxing titles.

Edit: Even Ubi has recently spoken out against it.

At retail? Sure, generally speaking (Diablo 3 could be found for $58 at launch, to offer a rare counter-example). It's a slightly different story for DD services such as Steam, and indeed some -- for example, Valve and self-publishing indies -- decide against Aussie Taxing titles.

Edit: Even Ubi has recently spoken out against it.

So on the digital services its generally the bigger publishers that do it? At least Ubisoft is attempting to change.

What's the reason for the rewrite/what is the update?

Major back-end changes (most mods will sadly be broken as a result), support for the latest Source games (including Portal 2), in-game demo rendering, Steam Workshop support (replacing the Toybox), updated menus everywhere, Bone Manipulator for NPCs, more post-processing shenanigans, uncapped faceposing, new shadow tech that's far better and a crapload more. Here's the headliners and here's a complete list of changes.

For anyone thinking about getting Resonance it's a great game especially if you enjoyed Gemini Rue. It has the same solid voice acting and soundtrack you would expect from a Wadjet Eye title and has one of the best UI's I've experienced in a point + click adventure.

JaseC

So on the digital services its generally the bigger publishers that do it? At least Ubisoft is attempting to change.

Bingo. Digital games at retail prices, in other words.

Edit: I won't be convinced that Ubi is fighting for change until I see AC3 up on Steam without the Aussie Tax. Call me cynical, but the publisher's biggest release of the year is the test it needs to pass.

kaskade

If anyone wants to add me on steam to maybe play L4D2 my ID is tomance.

I think I'm going to gift my friend a copy since it was his birthday a few days ago.

Bingo. Digital games at retail prices, in other words.

Edit: I won't be convinced that Ubi is fighting for change until I see AC3 up on Steam without the Aussie Tax. Call me cynical, but the publisher's biggest release of the year is the test it needs to pass.

I guess if they truly meant it they would drop the prices of all their other games accordingly. Unless they have already done that.

Cth

What's the L4D2 community like?

I ended up selling my 360 copy when I couldn't find any games.

Is cheating rampant? etc?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I don't think you'll have problems finding any games, but I've heard that the community can act like a bag of dicks to people who don't play up to their standard, which is kind of a turn off for me. This goes without saying, but you'll only get the best experience if you have a group of people you know to play with, rather than randoms.

JaseC

I guess if they truly meant it they would drop the prices of all their other games accordingly. Unless they have already done that.

Depends on the game; for example, Driver: SF doesn't have the Aussie Tax, however the later Assassin's Creed games do, albeit to a lesser extent than before. That said, Ghost Recon: Future Solider is, as promised, priced identically to its US counterpart. Credit where credit is due, I suppose!

Edit: Bah, forgot to move this to the other tab.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Any link to a good tutorial/post guide for Endless Space? You know, something akin to that Crusader Kings II post-up?

Buying remorse for Oblivion...START

Feels bad man. I played it for a few minutes a few months ago on an old account. The game finally clicked for me. I didn't want to repurchase it, so I been playing Fallout New Vegas for the last few months. I beat that. I bought Oblivion GOTY on my current account for 5 bucks, cause what the hell, why not?

I'm two hours in the game, and the leveling system is way different than I expected. I don't get experience for killing stuff, and I liked the leveling in New Vegas way better. I feel like doing quests is pointless and I think I may just beat the main story line real quick just because.

Feels bad man. I don't really have any direction to play in besides going after the thieves guild right now. Ah well, once I beat the main storyline I guess I can just consider it beaten and not care I don't like it as much as I hoped.

Rufus

I'm two hours in the game, and the leveling system is way different than I expected. I don't get experience for killing stuff, and I liked the leveling in New Vegas way better. I feel like doing quests is pointless and I think I may just beat the main story line real quick just because.
Play the assassin's guild quest line instead.

Derrick01

Banned
Oblivion had some pretty good quests and quest lines. But as far as I can remember you never got xp in elder scrolls games, it's always been about leveling skills through using them. You level up by using your major skills that you can choose before you leave the sewer, only those (7 I think) give you "experience", and you only get "experience" after you get skill level ups.

I just hope for your sake you didn't pick athletics as one of your major skills, otherwise enjoy mashing that jump button!

Rufus said:
Play the assassin's guild quest line instead.

Yeah that was a truly great quest line filled with so many creative and cool quests. It's too bad Skyrim's was so terrible.

DukeBobby

Buying remorse for Oblivion...START

Feels bad man. I played it for a few minutes a few months ago on an old account. The game finally clicked for me. I didn't want to repurchase it, so I been playing Fallout New Vegas for the last few months. I beat that. I bought Oblivion GOTY on my current account for 5 bucks, cause what the hell, why not?

Feels bad man. I don't really have any direction to play in besides going after the thieves guild right now. Ah well, once I beat the main storyline I guess I can just consider it beaten and not care I don't like it as much as I hoped.

Crappy levelling systems seem to be Bethesda's forte.

Koroviev

I don't know about versus, but I've been having a great time playing with friends. If you need someone to play co-op with, you can add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kievdescent

If anyone wants to add me on steam to maybe play L4D2 my ID is tomance.

I think I'm going to gift my friend a copy since it was his birthday a few days ago.

Request sent :)

Edit: Steam isn't letting me search for people :\

Scamco has slapped an Aussie Tax on Dark Souls.

Was: $39.99
Now: $69.95

Yeah noticed this just now, I have my pre-order in with ozgameshop (if you don't mind waiting on shipping) because I just can't support these prices even for the one new+not on sale game I get a year.

I do find it interesting that they seem to always have a couple days at US prices before adding the Aussie tax it's like steam's way of fighting the system without breaking any agreements they might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom