• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Just Cause? Maybe
GTA4? Hell no.
I've actually played the first few mission in GTAIV before, just never got deeper into the game, although I want to try again. It's just that the intro was sooo tedious. More like Sim Chauffeur than Grand Theft Auto. SR3, on the other hand, got me straight in the action right from the get-go.

Recall

Why does steam insist on installing Microsoft.net framework and Direct 9 every time I start a newly installed game?

This must have been done hundreds of times...

catabarez

Why does steam insist on installing Microsoft.net framework and Direct 9 every time I start a newly installed game?

Haven't seen one of these in a while lol.

Something about each individual game needs a specific version. Something like that.

squid

I bought the Total War Mega Pack during the sale, so I gave Rome a go for an hour and a half, but I found it quite boring. I love RTS games like Age of Empires, C&C, Sins of a Solar Empire and I love the turn-based Civilization games, so I feel like I should love this series, but Rome just completely bored me, even though I love the setting. I'll give the other TW games from the pack a go, but if I don't like Rome, which I've heard is the best of the series, I find it unlikely that I'll love the other games.

Eh, I've got other games from the sale to keep me occupied anyway, like SoaSE Rebellion!

Tess3ract

Banned
GTA4 better than SR3? Gimme some of that crack you're smoking.

Just Cause 2? perhaps, especially in the story department, but not quite the rest.

Mafia 2? In the cinematic department no, in the gameplay department yes.

1-D_FTW

I've actually played the first few mission in GTAIV before, just never got deeper into the game, although I want to try again. It's just that the intro was sooo tedious. More like Sim Chauffeur than Grand Theft Auto. SR3, on the other hand, got me straight in the action right from the get-go.

Which is rose colored nostalgia IMO. To me the GTA series has always been more aptly titled Grand Theft Errand Boy. Insanely boring and over-rated missions.

GTA IV is far and away my favorite GTA. And the only one I finished (or even came close to finishing). The driving physics are awesome. The sandbox nature of mayhem is awesome. And even the mission structure is a slight improvement IMO. Just don't do the side missions. Like most games, they're complete garbage and there to pad game time. Pad your game time with creative destruction runs.

GTA4 better than SR3? Gimme some of that crack you're smoking.

Just Cause 2? perhaps, especially in the story department, but not quite the rest.

Mafia 2? In the cinematic department no, in the gameplay department yes

Mafia 2 is a weird game in that it's not traditional. At it's peak, however, I'd say Mafia 2's best missions are the best of any of those games. They're are some genuinely amazing missions that are far beyond what you typically see in sandbox type games.

Just Cause? Maybe
GTA4? Hell no.

GTA 4 has the most highly detailed open world this generation, has a really rewarding driving model and is more systemic and emergent than almost every other game out there. I know it got a lot of backlash here on GAF because its not the San Andreas sequel they wanted but it's an amazing game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I miss SteamGAF :_: My computer should arrive Friday (hopefully) or Monday (probably)!

GTA 4 has the most highly detailed open world this generation, has a really rewarding driving model and is more systemic and emergent than almost every other game out there. I know it got a lot of backlash here on GAF because its not the San Andreas sequel they wanted but it's an amazing game.

Its only really good if you play with mods. The base game itself was boring once you finish the great story.

1-D_FTW

Its only really good if you play with mods. The base game itself was boring once you finish the great story.

Disagree. Best sandbox out there. GTA 4 is as good as your imagination will allow.

I will say that from start to finish, however, SR3 does have the most consistently high quality missions on the fun scale.

benjipwns

Banned
I just got done playing the hell out of the SR3. Kind of wondering which of these games I have on backlog I should play that won't feel like a huge letdown after that SR3 experience:

- GTAIV
- Just Cause 2
- Mafia II

I also seriously considered whether or not to buy SR2 for $5 during Summer Seal, but the fact that no one talks about the prequel kind of discouraged me from that.
Just Cause 2 is the only one.

Saints Row 2 would be the obvious choice if you had picked it up, some people consider it even better than The Third. It's not talked about on PC much because it was given a port so bad that Volition brought Red Faction and The Third in house refusing to let THQ outsource PC ports anymore because of how much it was rightly savaged. (The fact they couldn't even get in contact with the people doing the port helped this decision. They kinda had to outsource Guerrilla's port but it was to old Descent buddies rather than some random Eastern European company.)

On more modern hardware you can brute force it pretty well though, especially if you have a good amount of RAM. Plus Gentleman of the Row exists.

Just Cause 2 has some nice mods as well. After that, GTA IV.

Derrick01

Banned
I just got done playing the hell out of the SR3. Kind of wondering which of these games I have on backlog I should play that won't feel like a huge letdown after that SR3 experience:

- GTAIV
- Just Cause 2
- Mafia II

Skip GTA 4, it's a garbage game if you're a fan of 3/VC/SA.

Mafia 2 you should go through first. It has a pointless open world with nothing to do so you can just do the missions, which are pretty good admittedly, and go through the game relatively quickly.

If you get into Just Cause 2 and try to get 75% for the achievement it will take you over 30 hours most likely. Either way it has the most content to get lost in. Save it for after Mafia.

Credo

I miss SteamGAF :_: My computer should arrive Friday (hopefully) or Monday (probably)!

SteamGAF misses you too. Hopefully those issues will get sorted out for you.

My old PC heated up so much that it blue-screened on me twice in the middle of games. But after I built a new one with a Cooler Master in it and put an ASUS Windforce graphics card inside, it hardly ever gets up to 60 degrees C.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Didn't quite follow what happened to your pc before? Something about fans? What are they fixing/replacing/upgrading?
There weren't enough fans in my computer + I screwed my heatsink (and the paste on it) :_:
SteamGAF misses you too. Hopefully those issues will get sorted out for you.
♥ ♥ ♥

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone notice anything weird with the Steam webpage?

NsVLy.png

Or is it just me? :p

Derrick01

Banned
That feeling when you beat an army twice your size in Shogun 2 that also had several 6 and 5 star generals without losing even half your men....sogood.gif

They had me sweating too because the bulk of my forces and generals were in that battle. If they had beaten me they'd be right outside of the capital with me not having many forces left to counter. Thank god for the ambush feature.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone notice anything weird with the Steam webpage?

Or is it just me? :p

Somebody accidentally attempted to upload Half-Life 3, triggering a lockdown that breaks Steam before anything can be transmitted to external Steam clients.

Koroviev

For anyone who somehow doesn't have L4D2 and is on the fence about it, I would advise that you get it. I opted into a 4-pack thinking I might get my three hours before getting frustrated/bored, but as it stands, I've been playing for a few hours daily.

Don't skip it because of the co-op focus. There's no shortage of people on GAF, myself included, who are willing to play co-op with other GAFers. I played through a campaign with three other people last night, and it was a really great experience.

If you need someone to play co-op with, add me. My homepage is a link to my Steam profile. Alternatively, my username is Koroviev, Steam ID is kievdescent.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh, Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 need to show up on steam soon... Come on Valve/2K/Ubi, look at all the money I want to throw at you!

Blizzard

Banned

My issue isn't the install, but when games do it every single time they launch instead of only the first time. I still don't have an explanation as to why some games do that.

Megasoum

Banned
seriously. I need a borderlands 2 4 pack stat. It looks like they bumped the PC price to $60 :(

Yeah, Amazon has a 4 pack going (around 40$ per game) but I'm outside of the states. I know you can use a US address to buy stuff but it makes me nervous a bit to do that for something that cost 160$ and we'll probably not get the keys until a couple of days before release.

Twentieth

Holy smokes, I finally managed to run Prince of Persia (2008) at 60hz. I used ATI Tray Tools and its Refresh Lock feature. The game being "stuck" at 50hz is a problem for a lot of people on the Steam forums, but I never saw someone actually post a fix there.

Megasoum

Banned
Holy smokes, I finally managed to run Prince of Persia (2008) at 60hz. I used ATI Tray Tools and its Refresh Lock feature. The game being "stuck" at 50hz is a problem for a lot of people on the Steam forums, but I never saw someone actually post a fix there.

Interesting... I never played PoP2008 but I had the same issue on my ATI card in Driver SF (another UBI Game). I was stuck playing without v-sync (it would lock at 120fps).

I wonder if it's a PAL thing since the company is French? it's weird...

Megasoum

Banned
Am I the only not not stoked for AC3 after ACR? Also I hate the theme.

I'm actually the other way around. I hated AC1 (like a lot of people). Played a bit of 2 when it came out and saw that they improved the game greatly but still didn't really click. I then ignored the whole franchise for a couple of years. I ended up buying Brotherhood during a sale and went through it like it was drug...really get hooked. I played a bit of Revelation and found it ok but right after playing a ton of ACB I was a bit burned out. It did hype me a lot for AC3 tho. I love the setting. Hopefully a breath of fresh air on the franchise.

I believe Gearbox has said that they are still deciding what the pre-order bonuses for Borderlands 2 is going to be for Steam. They don't want to do a pre-order till they decide.

They are probably creating hats for TF2 to go along with the pre-order.

BTW, Borderlands Free Weekend is coming up, so maybe it's a sign that the decision was made and the pre-order will go up with the free weekend? It was added to the registry.

louiedog

Am I the only not not stoked for AC3 after ACR? Also I hate the theme. I find it kind of insulting, as an american.

I have no issue with the theme, other than the worry that it could become too flag wavingly patriotic as America themed entertainment tends to.

Where I lose interest is AC gameplay in the wilderness. I hate those games when I'm not right in the middle of a city climbing buildings and leaping across rooftops. Maybe the trees will be enough, but I kind of doubt it. I guess we'll see.

Tess3ract

Banned
I have no issue with the theme, other than the worry that it could become too flag wavingly patriotic as America themed entertainment tends to.

Where I lose interest is AC gameplay in the wilderness. I hate those games when I'm not right in the middle of a city climbing buildings and leaping across rooftops. Maybe the trees will be enough, but I kind of doubt it. I guess we'll see.
Yeah I think of like Ninja tree jumping shit and immediately get turned off.

Nah, I really enjoyed every single one of them (even the expansions and Reborn). FEAR 3 isn't a bad game, only a bad FEAR game.
I own all the fear games because I love fear but "a bad fear game" is good enough reason to avoid it.

Am I the only not not stoked for AC3 after ACR? Also I hate the theme. I find it kind of insulting, as an american.

I felt the same way when I beat AC:R, but the game seems to be changing enough up that should interesting again. Its a major plus that it reminds of RDR in a ton of way even if they all superficial stuff. I'm a bit curious as to what it is you consider so insulting? The American Revolution is extremely important event in the history of two of the gaming markets biggest regions. It also led to several well documented Free Mason entering into power and that seems to fit the theme of the franchise perfectly.

Tess3ract

Banned
I felt the same way when I beat AC:R, but the game seems to be changing enough up that should interesting again. Its a major plus that it reminds of RDR in a ton of way even if they all superficial stuff. I'm a bit curious as to what it is you consider so insulting? The American Revolution is extremely important event in the history of two of the gaming markets biggest regions. It also led to several well documented Free Mason entering into power and that seems to fit the theme of the franchise perfectly.
From the previews my complaints are:
Where's the parkour in fucking forests?
Flag waving
shawn-marion.gif

And I believe fighting the british? Where are the templars in all this?

I'm stuck in Binary Domain, I'm in the cab and I got the QTE balance... it says... A D and an arrow. I died about 10 times. I have no fucking clue about what to do. I can sometimes briefly can an arrow to get white but I have no idea how to pass this. All walktrough are for the console version online

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm stuck in Binary Domain, I'm in the cab and I got the QTE balance... it says... A D and an arrow. I died about 10 times. I have no fucking clue about what to do. I can sometimes briefly can an arrow to get white but I have no idea how to pass this. All walktrough are for the console version online
I played with the controller and don't really remember the scene, can you take a screenshot?

From the previews my complaints are:
Where's the parkour in fucking forests?
Flag waving

And I believe fighting the british? Where are the templars in all this?

Like I said the US has lot of high profile Masons/Templars from that era and Conner will probably go after a few of them. The reason they haven't shown any of that is probably a marketing thing. Could you imagine the political blow back if during the Microsoft conference Connor was shown going after one of George Washington's camps? They've got a softball in Bendict Arnold they could have used I guess.

HoosTrax

I believe Gearbox has said that they are still deciding what the pre-order bonuses for Borderlands 2 is going to be for Steam. They don't want to do a pre-order till they decide.

They are probably creating hats for TF2 to go along with the pre-order.

BTW, Borderlands Free Weekend is coming up, so maybe it's a sign that the decision was made and the pre-order will go up with the free weekend? It was added to the registry.
Has to be a Psycho mask for the Pyro. It just feels right. Plus the pizza-cutter axe thingy:

Mutant_Midget_Psycho.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom