• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Is Left 4 Dead 2 worth it all all if you don't care for zombie games? I did like Resident Evil 5 because of the co-op despite it being a "zombie" game.

1-D_FTW

Like I said the US has lot of high profile Masons/Templars from that era and Conner will probably go after a few of them. The reason they haven't shown any of that is probably a marketing thing. Could you imagine the political blow back if during the Microsoft conference Connor was shown going after one of George Washington's camps? They've got a softball in Bendict Arnold they could have used I guess.

Think they already said George Washington is an alley. So he's safe.

personally stoked for AC3. Basically AC2, AC:B, and AC:R are minor iterations of each other. Super easy to get burned if you if you try and run through them (could only play AC:R a few hours after i beat AC:B...need to come back later).

If the jump from AC2 to AC3 is as big as AC1 to AC2...this game will be amazing. Most previews, trailers look extremely refreshing. Even the forest parts (RDR anyone?)

Levyne

Banned
I'm still getting used to the tree jumping vids since the trees look manufactured to be scaleable like that, but I guess it's necessary.

Is there an ordinary PC-Thread?

I really wonder why american people dont like Risen or the early Gothic-Games. Here in europe people really digged them and the mags were all over them. And honestly, I really had fun with these titles.

But when I read the Summersalethread this year, I always saw, when someone asked if Risen is good, that a lot of people were like "Worst Game ever!" "Pile of shit!" and things like that.
I mean, even Dragon Age 2 is (imo) really really bad compared to the first Risen.

Why is that?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why is that?

I think with a game like Risen, generally speaking, your ability to enjoy it depends on how much patience you have for it's rougher edges. Some gamers would rather play a less ambitious, but more polished game. I don't think it has much to do with their country of Origin, though. I'm American and I like Risen.

Esch

Banned
I dont see whats wrong with parkouring through trees on some ninja shit. Yeah its not that realistic, but its Assassin's Creed

I think with a game like Risen, generally speaking, your ability to enjoy it depends on how much patience you have for it's rougher edges. Some gamers would rather play a less ambitious, but more polished game. I don't think it has much to do with their country of Origin, though. I'm American and I like Risen.

Yeah. I understand that.

But it seems Risen was really badly rated in american mags, while in UK, German and Spain gamingmags it was rated really well.

And like I saw in the summersalesthread, a lot of people disliked Risen.

Esch

Banned

Im just through it myself(American). Its got good fundamentals in a lot of ways, but the game does have that eastern european jank goin on. And to be honest I dont find it ambitious at all as of right now. It seems mostly like a lot of fetch quests. The combat has some good points but i would say overall this game gets totally eclipsed even by something like Witcher 1.

the sequel sucks right? Too bad it didnt get an Assassins of Kings esque step up in quality.

HoosTrax

Actually I think I was one of the people who made the observation comparing European RPGs like Gothic 3, Divinity 2, and maybe Risen. I haven't played Risen, but I own the other two games in question. In both of these games, the combat is extremely uninspiring and lacking in impact ("stunlocking" is a huge issue in Gothic 3 as well). The melee combat in Gothic 3 was not just a bit boring like in Elder Scrolls, it's utterly terrible and borderline broken. If combat consists entirely of button mashing and whoever gets a stunlock first is guaranteed victory, something is wrong.

With both G3 and Divinity 2, there's also the issue of the extremely generic medieval European high fantasy setting, and generic, non-memorable, poorly voice acted NPCs as well.

To be fair, I felt like TESIV (Oblivion) had a similar "Eurojank" feel that made me dislike them greatly compared to TES3 and TES5. And conversely, I've never heard anyone made these sort of complaints about the Witcher games.

One other thing I'll point out -- I think Americans like to play a character that's either 1) completely custom, or 2) well-written with a deeply engaging backstory. G3 offered neither of this, instead forcing the player to take the role of a completely uninteresting, badly voice acted guy that they had no ability to customize, visually.

well-written with a deeply engaging backstory. G3 offered neither of this, instead forcing the player to take the role of a completely uninteresting, badly voice acted guy that they had no ability to customize, visually.

Wasnt the character of G3 not the Character from G1+2?

I mean, the backstory is all about the events from G1+2 and thats really much. He finally got out of the "Sphere".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

HoosTrax

Wasnt the character of G3 not the Character from G1+2?

I mean, the backstory is all about the events from G1+2 and thats really much. He finally got out of the "Sphere".
I have no idea since I never played the first 2 games. Either way, his personality and character design felt pretty lackluster.

Risen doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't clearly spell out its mechanics, it's not afraid to be challenging and it does a very oldschool thing, Risen will let you go wherever you want, it'll just smack you down hard if you're somewhere you're not supposed to be yet. If you haven't saved, well, you may have lost a bit of progress. These things are kind of counter to a lot of design trends in modern rpgs and when you combine that with some of the games rougher edges, yeah, you can see why some might not like or care for the game. Their loss.

Mrbob

I can't see Borderlands 2 on GMG either nor is the 10 percent discount showing up for me on Steam (I own the first one).

Not really Steam related, but The Humble Music Bundle is live!

Includes:

- Favoritism
- Album Raises New and Troubling Questions
- Calling All Dawns
- Best of the Valkyria Chronicles
- Jonathan Coulton's Greatest Hit (Plus 13 Other Songs)
- Twelve Remixes of Four Songs (if you beat average)

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Wok

Includes:

- Favoritism
- Calling All Dawns

Does it activate on Steam? Ohoho!

Man, I want all my music library on Steam. I don't like apples, I prefer valves.

Blizzard

Banned

Includes:

- Favoritism
- Calling All Dawns

Is much of that instrumental/soundtrack music, or does it have a bunch of vocals? I got excited for a minute, thinking it was the next indie soundtrack bundle, but it's not. I'm a fan of those.

HoosTrax

Includes:

- Favoritism
- Calling All Dawns

It's marginally related. There are albums by the guy who did "Still Alive" from Portal as well as the guy who did the choral arrangement you hear as the main menu theme for Civilization IV.

Grinchy

Banned
I've never actually done a free weekend on Steam before. Whenever I click here

aQGpE.jpg

it just brings me back to the game's sale page. I am sitting here feeling like a moron. Does it not start until tomorrow or something?

HoosTrax

I've never actually done a free weekend on Steam before. Whenever I click here

aQGpE.jpg

it just brings me back to the game's sale page. I am sitting here feeling like a moron. Does it not start until tomorrow or something?
You might need to restart the Steam client, and see if you have the free weekend trial added to your library.

Oh good, OMD is -75% off. I had a friend who bought Sanctum during Summer Seal without consulting me -- by that time, the OMD daily deal was over :(

I know it doesn't mean anything but it's a little frustrating to see Borderlands 2 put above Torchlight 2 in the coming soon section. Yeah a Borderlands 2 4-pack on Steam like on Amazon would be nice. For $40 I'd jump in on that.

Steam needs to put up X-Com and Dishonored so I can pre-purchase them and I think I'm set for the year.

Dark Souls: $40
Borderlands 2: $40 (4-pack deal hopefully)
X-Com: $50?
Dishonored: $59?(assuming the worst)

xJavonta

Banned
Wait wait wait...Borderlands is Free? Like FREE free or is there some catch/time limit?
Free Weekend. Meaning free to play during the weekend.

Is Orcs Must Die good? That's a nice price cut on it so I was thinking of grabbing it.
I know it doesn't mean anything but it's a little frustrating to see Borderlands 2 put above Torchlight 2 in the coming soon section. Yeah a Borderlands 2 4-pack on Steam like on Amazon would be nice. For $40 I'd jump in on that.

Steam needs to put up X-Com and Dishonored so I can pre-purchase them and I think I'm set for the year.

Dark Souls: $40
Borderlands 2: $40 (4-pack deal hopefully)
X-Com: $50?
Dishonored: $59?(assuming the worst)
I pre-ordered Dishonored at GameStop. It's $60.

Esch

Banned
With both G3 and Divinity 2, there's also the issue of the extremely generic medieval European high fantasy setting, and generic, non-memorable, poorly voice acted NPCs as well.

To be fair, I felt like TESIV (Oblivion) had a similar "Eurojank" feel that made me dislike them greatly compared to TES3 and TES5. And conversely, I've never heard anyone made these sort of complaints about the Witcher games.

One other thing I'll point out -- I think Americans like to play a character that's either 1) completely custom, or 2) well-written with a deeply engaging backstory. G3 offered neither of this, instead forcing the player to take the role of a completely uninteresting, badly voice acted guy that they had no ability to customize, visually.

Im not gonna lie, surprisingly a lot of european RPG games have pretty bad art direction that adds to the whole janky equation. Its sad because a lot of these games are fundamentally great if unpolished from a gameplay standpoint but since they look so unininspired they end up missing the mark of greatness. Lets be real though the euro high fantasy setting has been tired as hell for a decade now for me at least. Its time that a more devs take a risk and do something ambitious based on other culture sources.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
The Borderlands 2 Premiere Club is to be part of the Steam preorder. They just haven't put up the information. We are getting that added to the page now.

HoosTrax

Lets be real though the euro high fantasy setting has been tired as hell for a decade now for me at least. Its time that a more devs take a risk and do something ambitious based on other culture sources.
I completely agree, which is why games like Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, and Arcanum stand out so much and remain memorable to me. To this date, it seems like not enough developers want to explore Meso-American culture as a viable setting (Aztec, Mayan, Incan inspirations etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom