• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see Borderlands 2 on GMG either nor is the 10 percent discount showing up for me on Steam (I own the first one).

It's listed as £29.99 on the UK Steam store for me. Doesn't look like it's including the discount. Tried restarting Steam too and that didn't help.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sorry if old...

Symphony releases 6th August 2012. 20% off pre-orders (looking at Origin, it's about £6.49 full price)

Steam pre-order page

So it's kind of like Audiosurf meets Space Invaders? Interesting idea. I love Audiosurf, I still play it regularly and it's some of the best $10 I ever spent. I'll have to see how this turns out.

garath

We have too many guns ;)

Do you know if there will be a 4-pack on steam? My friends and I went in on the 4-pack for Borderlands 1 and plan to do that for Borderlands 2. Maybe it's going to be added later?

FYI On 4 packs:

Through 7/30:

Borderlands GOTY - $7.49 – Steam + get 10% credit towards your Borderlands 2 pre-order (stacks with current 10% off)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OWV050/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - Borderlands 2 4-pack – everyone who purchases Borderlands GOTY or who has ever purchased borderlands GOTY from us will get a $18 credit towards this pre-order. Stacks with existing 10% off (existing 10% off will be live in 30 minutes). So this comes to about $36 per copy if you have ever purchased Borderlands GOTY from us (or if you buy it for $7.49 this weekend)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ALUBYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - Borderlands 2 single - Borderlands 2 4-pack – everyone who purchases Borderlands GOTY or who has ever purchased borderlands GOTY from us will get a $6 credit towards this pre-order. Stacks with existing 10% off. So this comes to about $48 per copy if you have ever purchased Borderlands GOTY from us (or if you buy it for $7.49 this weekend)

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,

Silly question but it's not 100% clear, do you get 4 keys for the Premiere club if you buy the 4 pack?

edit: and btw, thank you to you both for answering questions. It's really nice to see company reps taking the time to do so. :)

Nabs

So it's kind of like Audiosurf meets Space Invaders? Interesting idea. I love Audiosurf, I still play it regularly and it's some of the best $10 I ever spent. I'll have to see how this turns out.

It looks more like Beat Hazard to me. It's kind of hard to watch.

kaskade

Free Borderlands weekend is pretty awesome. I feel like buying it would be a waste with 2 coming out so soon. I'd rather just put the money towards that.

Esch

Banned
I dont get how they enforce this free weekend shit, whats to stop you from playing the game content outside of steam? Do they just delete your .exe or something? lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I dont get how they enforce this free weekend shit, whats to stop you from playing the game content outside of steam? Do they just delete your .exe or something? lol

Like most Steam games, the executable is tethered to Steam. I've never taken part in a Free Weekend, but I assume the game automatically uninstalls/expires at a certain time.

Xanathus

Like most Steam games, the executable is tethered to Steam. I've never taken part in a Free Weekend, but I assume the game automatically uninstalls/expires at a certain time.

It doesn't uninstall which is a pain because you'll have to manually delete it if you do not buy it after the weekend is over.
edit: maybe it has been changed to where you can still see it in the library after the weekend is over, but I had this problem in a Nuclear Dawn free weekend

xJavonta

Banned

Yeah the files stay on your computer and the game stays in your library for a couple of weeks. You won't be able to play it after the free weekend though, if you try to launch it, Steam sends you to the game's store page.

HoosTrax

They don't delete anything off your hard drive. You just don't "own" the game anymore in your account, thus the game just won't run if you attempt to launch it after the trial window has passed.

Again, they don't need to delete anything, and it's actually counterproductive for both them and you to do that (wasted bandwidth). Iblis gifted me Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes last weekend and it was immediately available for me to play because I had previously tried the free weekend for the game a while back and all of the files still remained on my hard drive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It doesn't uninstall which is a pain because you'll have to manually delete it if you do not buy it after the sale is over.
Yeah the files stay on your computer and the game stays in your library for a couple of weeks. You won't be able to play it after the free weekend though, if you try to launch it, Steam sends you to the game's store page.

There you have it. Cheers. :)

Naito

I was adamant buying Borderlands 2 directly on Steam but the price, in the end, didn't convince me at all.
Got it on GMG with the discount code anyway.

Tony,

Silly question but it's not 100% clear, do you get 4 keys for the Premiere club if you buy the 4 pack?

edit: and btw, thank you to you both for answering questions. It's really nice to see company reps taking the time to do so. :)

You're welcome dude :).

Yep you get 4 keys for the premiere club with the 4 pack. It is the same thing as pre-ordering 4 single copies of the game, but for the price of 3 (-10% if you haven't ever bought Borderlands GOTY from us, -20% if you HAVE purchased or DO purchase Borderlands GOTY from us).

Cheers,
Tony

HoosTrax

My head hurts (I hate figuring out pre-order nonsense in this day and age)......ok, I think these are my options:

1) GMG = $48
2) Steam = $56 (I would get the -10% discount since I bought the original game here)
3) Amazon = $56 (unless you guys want to organize a 4-pack and find someone who can get the extra discount -- I realize that $100+ dollars is a lot of money for one person to be on the hook for though)
4) Gamestop - ??? (trade in some Wii games I never play)

garath

My head hurts (I hate figuring out pre-order nonsense in this day and age)......ok, I think these are my options:

1) GMG = $48
2) Steam = $56 (I would get the -10% discount since I bought the original game here)
3) Amazon = $56 (unless you guys want to organize a 4-pack and find someone who can get the extra discount -- I realize that $100+ dollars is a lot of money for one person to be on the hook for though)

My card doesn't like GMG so I'm going Amazon 4 pack. I have 1 buddy definitely in and I'll rustle up 2 more from the gamers at work. Comes out to $40 a piece.

I wish steam had the 4 pack again just to guarantee day 1 playability (no idea how fast Amazon gets keys out) but I'm sure Amazon is going to be pretty quick about it.

Xanathus

1) GMG = $48
GMG is effectively 40 because they have a 20% discount code that lasts until the end of the month.

1) GMG = $48

GMG put Borderlands 2 back to $59.99, I thought it was $50 with 20% to make it $40. Yeah that Amazon 4-pack sounds like the best deal.

1) GMG = $48

My card doesn't like GMG so I'm going Amazon 4 pack. I have 1 buddy definitely in and I'll rustle up 2 more from the gamers at work. Comes out to $40 a piece.

I wish steam had the 4 pack again just to guarantee day 1 playability (no idea how fast Amazon gets keys out) but I'm sure Amazon is going to be pretty quick about it.

GMG is effectively 40 because they have a 20% discount code that lasts until the end of the month.

GMG put Borderlands 2 back to $59.99, I thought it was $50 with 20% to make it $40. Yeah that Amazon 4-pack sounds like the best deal.

Our (Amazon) single game is $53.99 WITHOUT the Borderlands GOTY credit. If you buy Borderlands GOTY from us or have ever purchased Borderlands GOTY from us you'll get an ADDITIONAL $6 off.

For the 4 packs, you'll get an ADDITIONAL $18 off if you purchase Borderlands GOTY or have ever purchased Borderlands GOTY.

Credits for those who have ever purchased will be going out today/tonight/early tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony

garath

Wasn't the port of BL1 really bad? You guys taking a risk on the sequel for 60 bucks...

The port was actually pretty good if you tweaked the ini file. They later added most of the tweaks to the general PC options. Gamespy was pretty rough for co-op games but this is Steamworks so I have all the confidence in the world for the multiplayer.

I'd like to think the PC options will be there this time from day 1. But no matter how you shake it, Borderlands was one of the most fun games I played in a long time. Borderlands 2 is definitely worth a day 1 buy.

When the first one came out I actually played it on the 360 so I could play along with friends. I missed out on all the problems the PC version supposedly had.

HoosTrax

Wasn't the port of BL1 really bad? You guys taking a risk on the sequel for 60 bucks...
I didn't get the game until September of last year, at which point, it wasn't particularly bad. Some FOV and interface issues.

Our (Amazon) single game is $53.99 WITHOUT the Borderlands GOTY credit. If you buy Borderlands GOTY from us or have ever purchased Borderlands GOTY from us you'll get an ADDITIONAL $6 off.

For the 4 packs, you'll get an ADDITIONAL $18 off if you purchase Borderlands GOTY or have ever purchased Borderlands GOTY.

Credits for those who have ever purchased will be going out today/tonight/early tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony
Omg, I fail at math. I meant $54.

Well that puts an end to my temptation. Fuck these publishers raising prices for no reason, $60 PC games should not exist. At all. Ever.

If people are willing to pay that much then they should. If they're not willing to pay prices will fall.

What do you have against free markets?

rybrad

If people are willing to pay that much then they should. If they're not willing to pay prices will fall.

Publishers bitch about PC piracy and then raise the prices on an open platform that they don't have to pay licensing fees on. When people don't pay $60, they will blame it on piracy, not their price.

iNvid02

probably been posted today, but its sort of mesmerising

GvvdZ.gif

Just checked: GMG's British Price is £35. Considering Steam is selling it for £30 (and Amazon UK for £25 in a box), all I can say is :lol.

List Price: $179.97
Price: $161.97
You Save: $18.00 (10%)

So if you get Borderlands GOTY edition you get $18 additional off $161.97 for the 4-pack? If so that makes it $143.97 about $36 apiece, if not $40 apiece isn't bad at all.

*Edit* Found my answer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OWV050/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - We'll have this for $161.99 ($40.50/copy) from now until the game launches. If you have purchased Borderlands GOTY from us, or purchase from 7/26-7/30 you'll get an additional $18 off this item, making it $143.99 ($35.99/copy). You have to use the coupon before end of day PST on 7/30 though.

Cheers,
Tony

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Over the long term, an efficient market moved towards price equilibrium.

This does not mean that over the short term, all real markets are at price equilibrium.

Publishers bitch about PC piracy and then raise the prices on an open platform that they don't have to pay licensing fees on. When people don't pay $60, they will blame it on piracy, not their price.

But yeah, this is hardly the first PC game that came out at $60. And most of them have been among the best-sellers... Assassin's Creed 2, Battlefield 3, BLOPS, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2, Starcraft 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Reckoning, just to name a few.

And, really, perhaps the whole "pirates wouldn't buy the game anyways" mantra is something being listened to. Pirates will do so regardless of price (pretty obvious at this point with Android piracy rates and even things like the Humble Bundles getting pirated) and legitimate customers will continue to buy legit.

In that case, price sensitivity is still pretty low with legit Day 1 buyers, so an extra $10 is pretty meaningless to them in terms of impacting their purchase decision. And then, a year later, they hit Steam sales for $3.50 and everyone's happy.

Don't get the big deal. The market will determine the price. Always has.

Well that puts an end to my temptation. Fuck these publishers raising prices for no reason, $60 PC games should not exist. At all. Ever.

If you want it day 1, you gotta pay a premium, just like everything else. And it's not really an open platform if they gotta give 30% right off the top to Gabe and any other distributors, not too mention rising costs of development.

garath

But yeah, this is hardly the first PC game that came out at $60. And most of them have been among the best-sellers... Assassin's Creed 2, Battlefield 3, BLOPS, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2, Starcraft 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Reckoning, just to name a few.

And, really, perhaps the whole "pirates wouldn't buy the game anyways" mantra is something being listened to. Pirates will do so regardless of price (pretty obvious at this point with Android piracy rates and even things like the Humble Bundles getting pirated) and legitimate customers will continue to buy legit.

In that case, price sensitivity is still pretty low with legit Day 1 buyers, so an extra $10 is pretty meaningless to them in terms of impacting their purchase decision. And then, a year later, they hit Steam sales for $3.50 and everyone's happy.

Don't get the big deal. The market will determine the price. Always has.

See the common thread amongst your examples? It's only the big ticket items that have sold really well at the $60 price. The sequels of previous big sellers that have had steep discounts on the earlier games to hook people. The $60 price has to be hurting the industry.

In fact I seem to recall video game sales are down year over year. But I wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick after the steam and amazon sales.

I also seem to recall a publisher (EA?) complaining about only sequels selling right now, blaming the lack of a new console. Is it really lack of a new console or the rising cost of new games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom