• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybrad

But yeah, this is hardly the first PC game that came out at $60. And most of them have been among the best-sellers... Assassin's Creed 2, Battlefield 3, BLOPS, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2, Starcraft 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Reckoning, just to name a few.

And, really, perhaps the whole "pirates wouldn't buy the game anyways" mantra is something being listened to. Pirates will do so regardless of price (pretty obvious at this point with Android piracy rates and even things like the Humble Bundles getting pirated) and legitimate customers will continue to buy legit.

In that case, price sensitivity is still pretty low with legit Day 1 buyers, so an extra $10 is pretty meaningless to them in terms of impacting their purchase decision. And then, a year later, they hit Steam sales for $3.50 and everyone's happy.

Don't get the big deal. The market will determine the price. Always has.
My point has very little to do with actual piracy. You said the price will equalize if people don't pay it, I am saying that publishers will blame it on piracy and not adjust prices. This has been a trend when sales for a PC version are poor, it is never their fault, always the "pirates".

I game primarily on a PC and I pre-order a lot of games because I want to play them right away. As $60 becomes a norm that means every 5 games I buy I could have gotten 6 at the old price. I will be more selective of what I actually pre-order which means instead of getting a $50 sale it will be a sub $20 sale.

If you want it day 1, you gotta pay a premium, just like everything else. And it's not really an open platform if they gotta give 30% right off the top to Gabe and any other distributors, not too mention rising costs of development.
Except it IS an open platform, you do not have to pay any fees to a platform holder. Do you think brick and mortar retailers don't take a cut of the sales? Steam's percentage is much lower than traditional retail so this point doesn't make a lot of sense.

Koroviev

Thinking about getting Borderlands for my sister since she has been having a good time (and doing pretty well) with L4D2. Is any of the DLC worth the asking price? I already have the base game.

Also, how do you guys feel about Magicka? GamersGate has it on sale for $2.50, so I was also thinking of getting her that.

really too bad there isn't a 4-pack for Borderlands 2 like there was for the first game

Amazon has one at a discount, unless you mean something else.

Thinking about getting Borderlands for my sister since she has been having a good time (and doing pretty well) with L4D2. Is any of the DLC worth the asking price? I already have the base game.

Also, how do you guys feel about Magicka? GamersGate has it on sale for $2.50, so I was also thinking of getting her that.

Borderlands is a lot more involved than L4D, Magicka isn't very user friendly either and is quite difficult if you're playing alone.

HoosTrax

Highly recommend you get Secret Armory of General Knoxx at the very least. The Moxxi DLC isn't so great -- it's just horde mode in an arena. Can't comment on the other two -- I spent dozens of hours on the Knoxx DLC and got tired of the game before I had a chance to play the other two. Oops...

Ironically, there's a looting glitch in the Knoxx DLC which helped to inflate my playtime -- lot of farming of that glitch.

I'd say get General Knoxx(for sure) and Robot Revolution. Moxxi is basically just loooong waves of enemies and Ned was a little boring, but worth it if you need more Borderlands after finishing the story.

I'm not a fan of Magicka but I know others are, so I guess I'll have them explain.

rybrad

Highly recommend you get Secret Armory of General Knoxx at the very least. The Moxxi DLC isn't so great -- it's just horde mode in an arena. Can't comment on the other two -- I spent dozens of hours on the Knoxx DLC and got tired of the game before I had a chance to play the other two. Oops...

Ironically, there's a looting glitch in the Knoxx DLC which helped to inflate my playtime -- lot of farming of that glitch.
The other two DLC are great as well, it is just Moxxi that is awful.

KarmaCow

Moxxie comes with a bank to store items, but that's about it. Unless you like wave based arena battles that don't offer XP or items.

Except it IS an open platform, you do not have to pay any fees to a platform holder. Do you think brick and mortar retailers don't take a cut of the sales? Steam's percentage is much lower than traditional retail so this point doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well what about packaging and delivery and retail employees and rental space, you don't mind paying the same prices for that when you're receiving a digital product, so why do the so called "console tax" licensing fees bug you? Basically you're saying "it's not fair." Well life's not fair and gas doesn't really cost $4 a gallon.

If you want it day 1, you gotta pay a premium. Otherwise wait for a sale and pay much less, like everything else. What it sales for on console and what their profit margin is really isn't relevant.

NZNova

Magicka can be really hard in single player, because you have to quickly react to what's going on, your attacks require you to think about what you want to cast and what you need to type to cast it. So, you're running around typing madly to cast what you need, throwing up shields in response to the attacks that are coming in, and if you get killed you get rolled back to a checkpoint whereas in co-op you can just be rezzed by your partner. It's fun, but co-op is where it really shines.

iNvid02

probably been posted today, but its sort of mesmerising

GvvdZ.gif

dont want to discriminate

TmaKz.gif

Apparently I have the following games in my inventory.

The first person to quote me and tell me what game you want gets it. Limit one game per person

Portal 1
Torchlight
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death VII

Edit: Portal 1 still available

Esch

Banned
edit nvm i have breath of death lol
you can send it to someones email or you can friend them, and then gift it in the buying options

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

The first person to quote me and tell me what game you want gets it. Limit one game per person

Portal 1
Torchlight
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death VII

Might also be good to let me know how to gift a game as i've never done it before.

Torchlight, please.

iNvid02

Portal 1
Torchlight
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death VII

Might also be good to let me know how to gift a game as i've never done it before.

Torchlight

edit: nvm

eyeless

Portal 1
Torchlight
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death VII

cthulhu?

inquiry: will i get permanent achievements while playing borderlands free?

Toki767

Portal 1
Torchlight
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death VII

Cthulu Saves the World

Derrick01

Banned
If you want it day 1, you gotta pay a premium

Why? Why do I have to pay a premium on day 1 all of a sudden? All they have to do is give Steam their 30% and that's a lot less than giving the console guys their cut, then giving gamestop their cut, then paying for shipping and manufacturing the cases and manuals and actual discs.

I am saying that publishers will blame it on piracy and not adjust prices.

PC gaming is moving to a classic Hi-Lo pricing strategy. High day 1 prices and then extreme discounts during Steam Sales. It's actually a recognition of piracy and a better understanding of the customers that are legit and what they are willing to pay.

See the common thread amongst your examples? It's only the big ticket items that have sold really well at the $60 price. The sequels of previous big sellers that have had steep discounts on the earlier games to hook people. The $60 price has to be hurting the industry.

Yes, as has been seen on the Consoles as well. The big have gotten bigger and the mid-tier games have disappeared.

I'd argue that the $60 price is not hurting the industry at this point, it's the quality of the games. This year, revenues per new release in the US are down only slightly versus last. Bad games won't sell at any price (until Steam Sales) and good games sell despite the higher price (Diablo 3, etc).

In fact I seem to recall video game sales are down year over year. But I wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick after the steam and amazon sales.

Console and Handheld revenues are both down, about -26% overall. PC physical revenues are up this year vs last (NPD only tracks physical disc sales, and Diablo 3 is the reason why they're up). When you include Digital sales, PC gaming has continued to grow every year.

I also seem to recall a publisher (EA?) complaining about only sequels selling right now, blaming the lack of a new console. Is it really lack of a new console or the rising cost of new games?

It was Ubi, but yeah, the later ya go in a console cycle, the more sequels are purchased. It's different on PC nowadays with all of the new stuff available because of digital distribution, so it's an exciting time to play on PC.

rybrad

Well what about packaging and delivery and retail employees and rental space, you don't mind paying the same prices for that when you're receiving a digital product, so why do the so called "console tax" licensing fees bug you? Basically you're saying "it's not fair." Well life's not fair and gas doesn't really cost $4 a gallon.

If you want it day 1, you gotta pay a premium. Otherwise wait for a sale and pay much less, like everything else. What it sales for on console and what their profit margin is really isn't relevant.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. You said it was not an open platform which is 100% false. Do you think that there are no distribution costs associated with digital distribution? While digital copies certainly could be cheaper, I understand that retail stores are still a huge part of sales and it isn't exactly a great idea to piss the Wal-marts of the world off.

The "premium" is that I am pre-ordering a game and paying the expected retail price on the hope that a product is good. Jacking that up $10 with no associated value increase (also most PC ports are awful) is not acceptable to me and many others. Your point about sales is right on though. Instead of purchasing so many games day 1 (especially new IPs) I will be waiting for sales.

Grinchy

Banned
So after editing some of the Borderlands inis so there wasn't mouse lag and shitty performance, I find that the game is difficult to play because of the shitty FOV. Why is this such a shit port for PC?

I'm seeing $40.50 each.

Ok ok, I'm nit-picking now. Anyways, that's a much more palatable price. I see that some people on my friends list already bought the pre-order though D:

The discount is for having bought the original game on Steam, not for merely possessing the game.

... I bought the original game on steam. i preordered it in fact.

Koroviev

Magicka can be really hard in single player, because you have to quickly react to what's going on, your attacks require you to think about what you want to cast and what you need to type to cast it. So, you're running around typing madly to cast what you need, throwing up shields in response to the attacks that are coming in, and if you get killed you get rolled back to a checkpoint whereas in co-op you can just be rezzed by your partner. It's fun, but co-op is where it really shines.

Borderlands is a lot more involved than L4D, Magicka isn't very user friendly either and is quite difficult if you're playing alone.

With respect to both games, I and another friend or two would be playing the game with her. She's interested in Magicka because she has been watching a LP of it (apparently she watches a lot of LPs; I had no idea!).

I'd say get General Knoxx(for sure) and Robot Revolution. Moxxi is basically just loooong waves of enemies and Ned was a little boring, but worth it if you need more Borderlands after finishing the story.

I'm not a fan of Magicka but I know others are, so I guess I'll have them explain.

Okay, I'll probably just get the General Knoxx DLC then. Like everyone else, I have too many games, so I'm only looking for the "best" DLC for any given title.

And thank you for all of the responses, guys! I'm going to have my sister try both in co-op over the weekend and see what she thinks. Just wanted to get a general idea about how people feel with regard to each game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Portal 1
Torchlight
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death VII

Edit: Breath of Death and Portal 1 still available

Breath of Death, please?

inky

Quoting myself from the Steamgifts.com thread:

Well, I didn't get a chance to gift anything during the sale, but I want to contribute something through Steamgifts.com:

header.jpg

GAF Private Giveaway Will make sure it's a gaffer the one who takes it before sending it out :p

Link (quote to see):

Ends in 25 hrs. Remember anyone can register on the site now and it only takes a couple of hours to get the 10 points you'll need to enter this giveaway.

With respect to both games, I and another friend or two would be playing the game with her. She's interested in Magicka because she has been watching a LP of it (apparently she watches a lot of LPs; I had no idea!).

Okay, I'll probably just get the General Knoxx DLC then. Like everyone else, I have too many games, so I'm only looking for the "best" DLC for any given title.

And thank you for all of the responses, guys! I'm going to have my sister try both in co-op over the weekend and see what she thinks. Just wanted to get a general idea about how people feel with regard to each game.

I disagree. It hink the Island of Dr. Ned is by far the best DLC. It's visually the most distinct and I got a kick out of all the Scooby Doo references. The very end of General Knox is good but I didn't find the rest that interesting. Mad Moxi is garbage, though.

Quoting myself from the Steamgifts.com thread:

Well, I didn't get a chance to gift anything during the sale, but I want to contribute something through Steamgifts.com:

header.jpg

GAF Private Giveaway Will make sure it's a gaffer the one who takes it before sending it out :p

Link (quote to see):

Ends in 25 hrs. Remember anyone can register on the site now and it only takes a couple of hours to get the 10 points you'll need to enter this giveaway.

Yes please

HoosTrax

I disagree. It hink the Island of Dr. Ned is by far the best DLC. It's visually the most distinct and I got a kick out of all the Scooby Doo references. The very end of General Knox is good but I didn't find the rest that interesting. Mad Moxi is garbage, though.
People recommend Knoxx for loot farming reasons, not plot.

It looks more like Beat Hazard to me. It's kind of hard to watch.

That worries me. I hope we can tone it down a lot more. Beat Hazard is the only game I've ever played that caused eye strain. I couldn't play more then 3 minutes of it without feeling the pain. I worry that this game will do the same.

HoosTrax

How soon can/should you access each piece of DLC? Just curious.
I think you can go to each DLC's area almost immediately (after the intro section of the game), as soon as you reach the first save point outside Dr. Ned's, but quests have level requirements I think, and the enemies are very high level. So in practical terms, I think you'd need a Playthrough 2 character (I might be slightly off, I last played it last Sept).

There are opportunities right now to get it for 40. Get in a 4 pack with someone who owns the original game, or go buy it off of GMG for 40 with the 20 percent off coupon code.

Cheaper than that. If you buy a four pack from Amazon (which activate on Steam) you get it for $35.99 a copy.

I just pre-ordered the 4 pack a few minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom