• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm most interested in finding out what exactly "if you want the game you must to as I say" is and why Mr. Admin Community denied responsibility for creating it.

Speevy

Banned
After 9 years it is our birthday.

Give unto Steam your account details, and henceforth u get game

Dont waste time sir, it is official.

benjipwns

Banned
Somebody just missed out on a Free Skyrim.

More for those of us who don't waste Valve's time!

Putting my details into that site as we speak.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm most interested in finding out what exactly "if you want the game you must to as I say" is and why is Mr. Admin Community denied responsibility for creating it.

I want to know why scammers like this like using /me as if it makes their words "official" or something. I almost wish someone like that tried doing that to me, I'd have so much fun with it, heh.

JaseC

I want to know why scammers like this like using /me as if it makes their words "official" or something. I almost wish someone like that tried doing that to me, I'd have so much fun with it, heh.

I've posted my account name at least a handful of times this year (by way of posting an image of my Steam window in full to illustrate something), but, surprisingly, have had only a few unfamiliar users attempt to add me.

It amazes me the scam artists are trying to get peoples Steam accounts. How do they plan on getting past Steam Guard?

Battering rams and trebuchets.

Isn't it on by default? I certainly didn't opt into it and its on.

Only if you've verified your e-mail address.

Adnor

Banned
It amazes me the scam artists are trying to get peoples Steam accounts. How do they plan on getting past Steam Guard?

Most people don't use different passwords, so it's very possible that the ones that fall in the scam don't really take advantage of Steam Guard.

Pandemic

lookout guys its steam's birthday

4FtF8.png

The fact his English skills are terrible, stands out that he isn't an official representative... - ''u''

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Valve should consider blocking any URL posted that includes the word Steam but is not a Valve domain. In addition, Valve should consider posting a HUGE disclaimer on the chat any time someone with the word Admin, Steam, Valve, etc. is used in one chatter's nickname. I don't think they would have to go too overkill, but it'd be a good next salvo in the round against spam and account hacking.

Enco

Admin Community forgot to preface the text with /me.
Ah ok.

To be honest everyone should be using two step verification (it's on by default, right?). If you are then a password/username combo is pretty useless without the access to the right email.

JaseC

Yup! Just like a history for the chat :p

Half-Life 3 will release before Steam itself receives chat logs/history.

Ah ok.

To be honest everyone should be using two step verification (it's on by default, right?). If you are then a password/username combo is pretty useless without the access to the right email.

Provided you've validated your e-mail address, yes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I also think Valve should consider a geo-ip country-lock for any user who does not have Steamguard turned on. Seems like a fairly safe assumption to say that 99.99999% of all account hacks are going to be social engineering scams run by people in other countries--so by making it impossible to login from another country without SteamGuard turn on, you basically limit account hijackings to people who have the same password on their Steam registration email as they do their Steam account AND who get phished in such a way that they give out their Steam registration email.

And it shouldn't inconvenience regular users, since if they go to another country and get flagged by the system, all they need to do is verify their email and activate SteamGuard. So the only negtively impacted people are those who have an invalid unverified email and travel to a foreign country and try to use Steam.

Note to Valve: Feel free to PM me to talk about job offers.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Valve should consider blocking any URL posted that includes the word Steam but is not a Valve domain. In addition, Valve should consider posting a HUGE disclaimer on the chat any time someone with the word Admin, Steam, Valve, etc. is used in one chatter's nickname. I don't think they would have to go too overkill, but it'd be a good next salvo in the round against spam and account hacking.

They actually have something like that in regards to trading. You can buy name tags to rename items and scammers are known to take a cheap item, rename it to something more valuable, and try to hawk it off to an unknowning victim.

NBtoaster

Games like Driver are what I'm looking for at the sale. Not-quite-AAA games that may have been overlooked. I have most of the big stuff, and what I don't have like AC Revelations and MW3 are still going to be expensive when on sale thanks to a $90/100 base price here.

I also think Valve should consider a geo-ip country-lock for any user who does not have Steamguard turned on.

Not a bad idea, but it would be fairly trivial to get around, just like you can do to get better prices, and I doubt these people are particularly concerned about losing their account if caught (which would be next to impossible since they are not buying anything).

I think just let natural selection run it's course.

1-D_FTW

Because it's one of, if not the best arcade racing game this gen and the PC version is still the definitive version thanks to wheel support.

Yeah. Not sure it's relevant to anyone else in this thread, but I've had this bookmarked for a while in anticipation:

http://www.wsgf.org/blog/thales100/...ision-and-g25g27-support-driver-san-francisco

Deals with how to get 3D Vision and/or G25/27 support working properly.

I just checked some screenshots and the game looked pretty dull on pc. I'll skip for now.

Ah, the safety of posting in the Steam thread:)

I posted about not being interested in the Midnight Club 2 since it was ugly AND didn't support wheels. Emphasis on not supporting wheels. And I had a bunch of bitters quoting me with angry replies.

Pandemic

Was able to fork out $8 for Driver: San Francisco, had it for the PS3, but returned it after finishing it, so $8 is a bargain for a pretty sweet game. Any ideas if multiplayer is still alive for the PC version?

Yeah, I have enough racers with good graphics on my plate for now.

B-b-but the cars handle like Burnout Paradise w/Licensed cars and a witty story to justify all the reckless driving! You like Burnout-physics and decent stories right?

Well, even the well-done SHIFT gameplay-mechanic alone made this purchase worth it for me already, gameplay is fun. Driving on the edge of control with these physics is fun, and the MUSIC, OH THE WONDERFUL TRACKS! PS. Oh and the cut-scenes being a mix of FMV-CGI/in-game (in a comic-panel style) is a unique touch I've never seen before, very cool.

I've now played the game for a few hours and am a fan, thanks GAF!

I just checked some screenshots and the game looked pretty dull on pc. I'll skip for now.
I was able to run ENB Series with this game on my rig with vsync on and it never goes below 60.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...B-Series-Mod?p=8117476&viewfull=1#post8117476

I used the "First configuration" from that post, and the game's lighting isn't overdone or out of place, even the FMV cutscenes looks ok with it on.

JaseC

Also, Isn't Arma 2 kind of an older game? What's it been doing at the top of the charts lately for?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472665

Edit: Too slow.

Was able to fork out $8 for Driver: San Francisco, had it for the PS3, but returned it after finishing it, so $8 is a bargain for a pretty sweet game. Any ideas if multiplayer is still alive for the PC version?

A tad under 500 people are playing the Steam version at the moment, but who knows how many of those are playing MP (Steam users can only play with their ilk as Ubi hasn't and, judging from Anno 1404, likely won't provide an update for the Steam version of the game).

Relax.MX

I have problems with my ATI card...yes yes the drivers(again..nvidia i miss you :( ) i have the 12.3 version, i updated for 12.4 like 3 times and every time i turn off the PC returns to the previous version

gdt

Thanks to a very nice GAF member who gifted Driver to me. Awesome dude!

But on a side note, I had it downloading all night, but my speed is way down. And has been since at least Saturday night. Just really odd. Gonna call my ISP tomorrow if this keeps up.

Has anyone managed to download the ENB mod for Driver SF? I keep trying and it doesn't seem to work. If anyone has it, could you please upload it to another location (like Dropbox)? High and/or low version, anything will do. Thanks.

ezodagrom

I have problems with my ATI card...yes yes the drivers(again..nvidia i miss you :( ) i have the 12.3 version, i updated for 12.4 like 3 times and every time i turn off the PC returns to the previous version
If you have a recent AMD card (HD5000 series or later), you could also try the 12.6 Beta drivers, so far I haven't had any problems with these (Radeon HD6850).

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst126beta.aspx

Oh, if you have problems uninstalling a driver and installing a new one afterwards, after uninstalling a driver you should try running driver sweeper in safe mode to clear the remnants of the previous driver.

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Basically like this:
Uninstall driver, reboot windows in safe mode, run driver sweeper, clear remnants of previous AMD driver, reboot windows normally, install new driver.

stuminus3

Wow, Driver SF is amazing. There's nothing quite like winning a race event by "shifting" into oncoming traffic in the other lane and swerving it into the path of your opponents then shifting back to your own car to speed off into the distance. Shame it's as cheap as console > PC ports can come but the game itself is great.

ElRenoRaven

Gotta love those scammers. I always laugh when I see conversations like that posted. Reminds me of back when I played wow how an offcial Blizzard rep would whisper me telling me I won a mount, etc. I would always laugh at them. The sad thing though is that these idiots are right. There are some people who are so stupid that they fall for shit like that sadly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow, Driver SF is amazing. There's nothing quite like winning a race event by "shifting" into oncoming traffic in the other lane and swerving it into the path of your opponents then shifting back to your own car to speed off into the distance. Shame it's as cheap as console > PC ports can come but the game itself is great.
At least it runs well even with mad AA added. It's a simple looking game but clean. And it's got some unique gameplay that you wouldn't expect from a game if this type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom