• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Got me King's Bounty game. Giving out rest so PM for keys. First come first serve of course.

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers
Reign: Conflicts of Nations
Death To spies & Death To Spies: Moment of Truth ( 2 games )
UFO: Afterlight

Bringing to next page.

bigace33 check PMs.

Katoki

This is what's left. Bringing it here so I don't have to keep going back a page.

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers

All gone!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Got me King's Bounty game. Giving out rest so PM for keys. First come first serve of course.

Rig 'N Roll
Space Rangers

Can I have UFO: Afterlight please?

Katoki

That took longer than expected to unload those codes. All I have to do now is survive 1.5 hours more of work.

Then to deal with them zombies on Saints Row 3.

1-D_FTW

Well, I don't play it anyway.

Haha. I hear you. I disabled updates, but not before a big update had already started. I've had the update paused for a good 2 months now. One of these days I'll let it update so Steam can stop being in a yellow state in the taskbar.

Nabs

Did they finally make that work?

I've been using it all year on games that get regular updates.

dota5qjqi.png

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Has anyone given Wanderlust a go yet? It looks pretty neat.

I went in on a four-pack but won't be able to play until Sunday, so I'd really appreciate some impressions as well.

I've only played an Elementalist solo in story mode through the end of Chapter 2, so I don't have a lot of impressions but I'll try my best with what I've got. First understand you are essentially playing a top down hack n slash "lite". The game is fun, but the controls are frustrating. Gamepad is in the options, but it doesn't include all the keys you need on your pad for any class, so that is useless. I tried Xpadder and couldn't get that to work either. Once you get used to the WASD movement and click to attack it's not that bad, but you'll find yourself hung up on environmental objects, aiming wrong and the usual pitfalls of less than perfect controls and collision detection.

You can choose whether to have 3 NPCs of other classes accompany you if you're not co-opping, which is nice and gives you sense of what 4 player would be like. Chaotic. Everything is quite small and it gets busy. Enemies get pushed back into corners or behind the environment or your party becomes entangled in one big group of friend/foe and you can't really see what you're doing, so you just spam fireball/shock/freeze from afar and hope you see it "Whack!" the baddies. Battles are likely to remain somewhat of a spamfest for all classes, so yeah, top down hack & slash lite. Enemies drop loot components (each character has their own drops, like D3!), there is a crafting system and you can outfit your character with gear. You also have a stash in the camp.

The skill system looks pretty sweet and like it will take a long time to build your character up. On my Elementalist I had plenty of spells I could learn or upgrade, some way out of my league in point cost so I can only imagine what they look like/their effects. With the ability to replay chapters and the crawl/survival mode, there's supposed to be a lot of replayability. It's not a once and done kind of game, so much like Diablo (though not as complex) your character is your save, not the world. You're supposed to get attached to your character. You earn points to put into spells/stats after finishing chapters (which are very short so far) based on how well you did/completion rate. I was only getting ~60% so not sure what I'm doing wrong. The waypoints (dots leading to a destination, having to stop at each) you have to go through on the way to story points on the world map are very small encounter areas, boring and feel kind of pointless. Hoping this improves later with some larger environments, but the Chapter 2 main quest environment was promising. The screens I've seen from further in the game have very varied environments so I'm sure it's no issue.

Windowed the game is in a small box resolution and I couldn't get Steam overlay to work, so I'm guessing like 1024x768? It looks nice and crisp like this, but you can full screen it and stretch/blur it out which looks terrible. The lobby/camp is full of people chatting so it's a good time for MP. Crawl/survival mode is not available to play until you've finished Chapter 8, so I have no experience with that.

Sorry this was mostly an unhelpful ramble. I usually don't write about a game until I'm done with it or well into it, but there you go.

Derrick01

Banned
Man siege battles in Shogun 2 with me= ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

I do good defending but attacking I'm apparently missing something. Even on easy I get destroyed if they don't leave the castle.

I have archers try to take people out inside...they get sniped by the enemy's protected archers and towers.

I climb up the walls...they get destroyed before they can get up there.

I burn the walls/door down...I get wedged into a tight corridor and get slaughtered.

I have a ninja sabotage the gates before the battle...same result as the one above.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
There should be a name for this genre. It seems like mostly Japanese console dungeon crawlers have touched on the style (PSO, Shining Soul, PSU, the DS Crystal Chronicles games), although I've played random free and indie games that do it too.

Yeah I really felt weird calling it a top down hack n slash but couldn't think of anything more appropriate. So now I just added "lite" to the end of it. ;)

Card Boy

Banned
Is there a tweak guide for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)? The game is impossible to google due to the game having the same name as another 2 games in the series.

dot

Phew, just played 4 hours of Borderlands today with a friend. It's much more fun with another person! Reached level 11 with the soldier and will try to play a lot more tomorrow before the free weekend thingy ends.

Fireblend

Banned
Hah, this is probably old, but I was playing Gemini Rue and within the first few minutes found a pretty cool cameo (spoilers for those who haven't played it, I guess?). Got a laugh out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom