• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I don't suppose we know a concrete date for Torchlight II yet? I kind of want to pre-order that as well, but if it's going to be very close to September 18th, I'm not going to bother.

ngt

I don't suppose we know a concrete date for Torchlight II yet? I kind of want to pre-order that as well, but if it's going to be very close to September 18th, I'm not going to bother.

It says September 2012 on Steam so I guess it's pretty close.

HoosTrax

It says September 2012 on Steam so I guess it's pretty close.
Hmm when I look at it, it only says "Summer 2012"
94026118.png

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with a little problem I'm having.

I bought "The Adventures of Shuggy".

Seems like it could be a fun game, but it keeps stuttering. Like the character keeps "catching" on the background. I figured "well, maybe the framerate is low."

So I ran fraps, and it's rock solid at about 50 FPS. No fluctuations at all.

So I installed the DRM free version and ran it directly from my PC's internal hard drive, and it does the same thing.

Checked some of my other games, no such problems.

I'm confused.

Detox

That lock usually lasts for 24h only.

Just curious how many have you done so far? My lock hasn't been lifted and it has been 24 hours. Has your account been locked before? I'm just asking because they may have to flag your account to allow purchases to keep going through after large amounts of money have been spent in a small time frame.

Really im overwhelmed by the interest generated by Borderlands. My recomendation to anyone interested in te game is to jump as soon as possible.

I was a late adopter of the first Borderlands and could never enjoy the game, play sessions were about the veterans living me behind and proceeding through the game in a robotic fation just to pick up the loot. So the time spend with the game was devoid of any sense of acomplishment and discovery, even thought my character was leveling up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just curious how many have you done so far? My lock hasn't been lifted and it has been 24 hours. Has your account been locked before? I'm just asking because they may have to flag your account to allow purchases to keep going through after large amounts of money have been spent in a small time frame.

Have you contacted Support?

kswiston

I was a late adopter of the first Borderlands and could never enjoy the game, play sessions were about the veterans living me behind and proceeding through the game in a robotic fation just to pick up the loot. So the time spend with the game was devoid of any sense of acomplishment and discovery, even thought my character was leveling up.

People are bad about this sort of thing, even when they are personal friends. My brother and I played the first half of RE5 co-op together when neither of us had touched the game before and it was great. Then I got busy and he finished the rest for the first time with someone else. When we played co-op again, he just rushed me around the rest of the game, not really stopping to let me enjoy things. Completely ruined the rest of that game.

Started co-op Borderlands with him. Same thing was happening, so I gave up after an hour. If a co-op partner isn't willing to take the time to let you go through the game at your own pace, they aren't worth co-oping with.

Koroviev

People are bad about this sort of thing, even when they are personal friends. My brother and I played the first half of RE5 co-op together when neither of us had touched the game before and it was great. Then I got busy and he finished the rest for the first time with someone else. When we played co-op again, he just rushed me around the rest of the game, not really stopping to let me enjoy things. Completely ruined the rest of that game.

Started co-op Borderlands with him. Same thing was happening, so I gave up after an hour. If a co-op partner isn't willing to take the time to let you go through the game at your own pace, they aren't worth co-oping with.

It's nice to have someone with experience take point in L4D2. It's very easy to get lost, lol.

ngt

I've done five. Got my account locked for quite a few times already, especially during sales.

Really im overwhelmed by the interest generated by Borderlands. My recomendation to anyone interested in te game is to jump as soon as possible.

This is why I typically play these kinds of my by myself at first before I play with others. Loot games especially I like to take my time.

I'd jump on the Borderlands 2 pre-ordering mayhem if it wasn't for my lack of funds right now. Dumped around 60 in the wallet a few months back and another 25 a few weeks ago and that was my budget for a bit as bills are tight. Maybe in 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I will find it for around 35. I hope I do.

I guess I can ask since I can't find the Steam trade thread but would anyone be willing to spot me a UK (via 4 pack) of Borderlands 2 in exchange for a copy of Dark Souls in 2 weeks? Well under 2 weeks as after the next weeks bills, I will have enough for a 40 dollar purchase here so if I can get in on one of those 4 packs, I can get you Dark Souls. I think I would be losing in the transaction but it's better than Paying 60 :p

PM'd

Played a touch of Borderlands with the free weekend and I'm actually glad that I've skipped it in all the various PC sales up to now. I'm not too impressed by the singleplayer game, but I can see how it would be rather fun in co-op. Yet the PC version (like most games sadly) drops the splitscreen from the 360 and PS3 versions for the PC version. I see some articles about doing some hacks to get it working, but I'm honestly not that interested in trying to hack around to restore a feature that should just be there. If BL2 looks like fun it's going to be one of the few games that I'll still break out the old 360 for, I just like splitscreen couch co-op so much more than online co-op.

Why is August filled with so many games. Its August!

It's crazy. I was just checking what's coming out and there's at least two games a week I'm interested in.

Next week: The Book of Unwritten Tales, Deadlight (XBLA), Awesomenauts

The week after: Deponia, Sound Shapes (PSN), Hero Academy

After that: Dust: An Elysian Tail (XBLA), Sleeping Dogs

And then Dark Souls and probably The Basement Collection the week after. That collection is supposed to release at the end of August so I figured the last week. Oh, the next Counter Strike.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Jet Grind Radio should also hopefully come out between August and September, too.

Unless, of course, the mobile ports delay the game.

This is why I typically play these kinds of my by myself at first before I play with others. Loot games especially I like to take my time.
This is why the 4 packs are a good idea at launch time. Get the game early so every one is more or less on even ground. If you are interested in the game take the cash sacrifice since in the end it'll be worth it.

Wow, the first Prototype is different, at least more than I expected it to be, from its sequel. In some ways it's better than Prototype 2 and in some it's worse.

Detox

Wow, the first Prototype is different, at least more than I expected it to be, from its sequel. In some ways it's better than Prototype 2 and in some it's worse.

Can you expand on that? When Prototype 2 came out I removed the first from my to buy list as I thought the second would just be superior in every way. I'm waiting on a price drop for the second now but I may actually prefer the first.

mackattk

Darkness 2 is pretty awesome. Runs great on my system as well...

Loved the second mission where

run into the bar where tone loc's wild thing is playing... fit so well and made it 10x more fun

Fireblend

Banned
I can't say I'm excited about Borderlands. It kept my attention for around ~5 hours, and I found it very good, but after a while I just stopped caring about the story and it all became a chore (maybe my trying to be a completionist and doing all the sidequests killed my interest). I didn't even finish it, although I'm pretty sure all I need is a good 3 or 4 more hours (I've put around 15 hours into it so far, one of my most played games) and I'll be done but I just can't bring myself to even finish it.

Borderlands 2 looks amazing though, and I've been following the trailers, but with the way the first game dragged I know chances are I would never finish it and even $30 is to steep for such a risk for me :p I'd much rather get Torchlight 2, or Darksiders so that I can see what the fuzz is all about, I've heard great things about it.

Anyway, just finished Alan Wake (+ all of its DLC). Really enjoyed it, the length of the campaign was just right and I thought the game had a decent enough closure to a fantastic if quirky-at-times story, considering there's still American Nightmare and the upcoming sequel to be played.

Can you expand on that? When Prototype 2 came out I removed the first from my to buy list as I thought the second would just be superior in every way. I'm waiting on a price drop for the second now but I may actually prefer the first.

The game world in the first Prototype kinda looks like New York and the area I have access to (the only?) feels like it's as large as all three of Prototype 2's areas combined. That said, even though Prototype 2's game world looks nothing like New York, it's design is very game-y, very satisfying to navigate. The height of the buildings in a given area is kinda aligned with your traversal abilities at that point in the game. By the time you reach the Redzone (final of three of areas) in Prototype 2 you can bound and soar between its skyscrapers like your Superman, bolt through its streets like The Flash. Prototype's New York is more accurate, I guess, but less fun to play through (thus far).

The open world missions I've encountered so far in Prototype is like the Radnet activities in Prototype 2. So Prototype's openworld is filled with what I thought were the worst aspects of Prototype 2's openworld missions. Prototype has this web of intrigue thing, it's like P2's Blacknet activities (my favorite openworld stuff in P2), only without the activities so far. I've just been absorbing people and watching cutscenes.

There are more abilities in Prototype, some of which it seems are curiously omitted from Prototype 2 (maybe I just didn't experiment enough), but I wouldn't argue that Prototype's combat is better. Prototype 2 may be a bit simpler but the combat is way tighter and was more fun versus the hour or so of Prototype I've played thus far.

I liked Prototype 2 enough that I'll probably soldier on through Prototype just to see the story (yes, I know there was a recap). I'd recommend the second Prototype over the first based off of what I've played thus far.

Edit: I also don't get Alex Mercer's design, why is he wearing a hoodie and a dress shirt with a popped collar underneath?

1-D_FTW

After playing a tiny bit of the Witcher demo years ago, and buying it for dirt cheap who knows when, I've finally gotten into it. Yeah! People who have done the same and have it buried in the backlog, amazing game.

No don't lie. That game looks like complete garbage.

Please extrapolate!

Okay for reals. Imagine a game with me. Take skyrim, with the big open world and quests and rpg elements. But now it takes places in california. And you can only walk on the paths. No going out in forests, just direct path to cities. Oh and there is nothing to do in cities, you can't even really go into them. And the paths are highways, and you're a giant truck. And there are no rpg elements. And the quests are literally, oh you found me? Cool. End of quest. Or maybe if you're lucky it's a fetch quest. Oh and you can't break the law while driving or you instantly get arrested, no police chases. And apparently there is a story but outside of one cutscene I haven't seen any hint of that. That's rig'n'roll.

So basically it's not skyrim at all. It's also buggy as shit. And slooooooow.

I've put an hour in it for no reason at all. I have no clue why I'm playing it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay for reals. Imagine a game with me. Take skyrim, with the big open world and quests and rpg elements. But now it takes places in california. And you can only walk on the paths. No going out in forests, just direct path to cities. Oh and there is nothing to do in cities, you can't even really go into them. And the paths are highways, and you're a giant truck. And there are no rpg elements. And the quests are literally, oh you found me? Cool. End of quest. Or maybe if you're lucky it's a fetch quest. Oh and you can't break the law while driving or you instantly get arrested, no police chases. And apparently there is a story but outside of one cutscene I haven't seen any hint of that. That's rig'n'roll.

So basically it's not skyrim at all. It's also buggy as shit. And slooooooow.

I've put an hour in it for no reason at all. I have no clue why I'm playing it.

are there jumps?

are there jumps?

Nope. If you hit a curb wrong your whole truck starts jittering and freaking out.

If you hit a lightpost going >10 mph you explode and it shows your death being front page news in a newspaper meant for truckers.

Oh and did I mention it takes place in 2014 and so you have all sorts of FUTURE TECHNOLOGY for your truck. Which is basically an excel sheet that was made in tron.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nope. If you hit a curb wrong your whole truck starts jittering and freaking out.

If you hit a lightpost going >10 mph you explode and it shows your death being front page news in a newspaper meant for truckers.

Oh and did I mention it takes place in 2014 and so you have all sorts of FUTURE TECHNOLOGY for your truck. Which is basically an excel sheet that was made in tron.
I have that game... installed, even. I should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom