• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I use Steam the more I feel like I'm being ripped off for continuing to pay for Xbox Live. There aren't any first person shooters or online games that I ever play, and once I upgrade my PC I'll be playing stuff like Battlefield and the occasional Call of Duty on that anyway.

Am I off-base here? I realize Xbox has some good exclusives like Halo, but that's their only exclusive franchise I really care about. I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 360, there are good reasons to own one, but since I've turned my attention to Steam and PC gaming, I haven't been turning it on much lately.

Steam just feels like a pure gaming service, while Xbox Live and even "SEN" come with too many useless and space-wasting gimmicks and ads.

epmode

I'm going to laugh when people start losing their hard fought saves because of GFWL in Dark Souls.
At least it's possible to back them up. I do this with all GFWL games.

The more I use Steam the more I feel like I'm being ripped off for continuing to pay for Xbox Live. There aren't any first person shooters or online games that I ever play, and once I upgrade my PC I'll be playing stuff like Battlefield and the occasional Call of Duty on that anyway.

Am I off-base here? I realize Xbox has some good exclusives like Halo, but that's their only exclusive franchise I really care about. I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 360, there are good reasons to own one, but since I've turned my attention to Steam and PC gaming, I haven't been turning it on much lately.

I still use the 360 for those Cave shooters and a few Arcade exclusives but I agree with you otherwise.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm going to laugh when people start losing their hard fought saves because of GFWL in Dark Souls.
Yeah, like you don't have enough pressure in that game already. If there's a way to back up GFWL saves, I'll just gamesavemanager it up to Dropbox.

I'm hoping the game ends up being popular enough to where someone mods out GFWL like with what happened to Fallout 3.
Probably won't happen since apparently they're using GFWL for multiplayer.

I'm hoping the game ends up being popular enough to where someone mods out GFWL like with what happened to Fallout 3.

I thought it was optional on F3, where you didn't even have to sign into it.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to bypass by deleting a few files, the only problem is that save games are tied into the system.

Steam just feels like a pure gaming service, while Xbox Live and even "SEN" come with too many useless and space-wasting gimmicks and ads.

You're right. I went through a period where the 360 was my main system since all my friends only played on it and I couldn't get them into PC gaming. Now it's used for the occasional XBLA game (which usually end up on Steam, anyway) and to rent major releases since I want to play them but don't want to buy them at their prices.

MRORANGE

Just played both episodes of the walking dead.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I have no idea how they are going to trump episode 2

Probably my favourite game this year.

HkssK.jpg

gdt

Just played both episodes of the walking dead.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I have no idea how they are going to trump episode 2

Probably my favourite game this year.

HkssK.jpg

Yeah, where the hell did that come from? I mean, I liked BTTF and all, but their take on The Walking Dead is ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmazing. Will definitely stand on many lists by the end of the year.

At least it's possible to back them up. I do this with all GFWL games.

People don't lose their saves because they're deleted or corrupted, it's because the save game protection resets for various or random reasons and the profile associated with it loses ownership or rights to it. It's pretty easy to fix once you know how to do it, but a backup isn't gonna help you unless you rename it to the new file name associated with your profile.

brandonh83 said:

Live is probably a good value for families who aren't particularly PC savvy or who just have laptops. To its credit you can really do a ton of shit on it hassle free, and on the big screen.

Live is probably a good value for families who aren't particularly PC savvy or who just have laptops. To its credit you can really do a ton of shit on it hassle free, and on the big screen.

Yep. Clearly just speaking from a personal standpoint. I like XBL just fine, I just found it interesting that lately I really haven't found much use for it after getting into PC gaming. It really depends on what type of gamer you are and your necessities.

Also it seems like most games that you can find on XBL that are on Steam are cheaper on Steam.

MRORANGE

Yeah, where the hell did that come from? I mean, I liked BTTF and all, but their take on The Walking Dead is ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmazing. Will definitely stand on many lists by the end of the year.

If i was Telltale CEO I would just force them to make walking dead games for the rest of their lives.

I hated Jurassic Park and found BTTF to be very boring, so imagine my shock when I played the first episode of Walking Dead. Mind was blown like a shotgun to a zombie's head. Still haven't played episode 2 yet.

Sysgen

Hey all, I recently bought Batman AC for the PC.

Normally I play with mouse/KB on my monitor but for this game I actually prefer the 360 pad and using my TV. I've played many games on the TV off my computer, and all run full screen without a problem.

This game will not run full screen, it has black borders around the image. So it's not in a window, but it's not really full screen either. In the launcher options I have the game set to run at 1920X1080, and the same exact (native) resolution set in Nvidia control panel for my TV.

Alt - enter just switches between window'd and full screen (with the black borders). Not sure what else I can do at this point, every other game I play on my PC through my TV runs full screen just fine.

There are zero graphics options within the game itself, so launcher is all I got here to play with.

Didn't want to make my own thread for this, hope someone can help. Googling turns up shit : ( Also posted on steam forum but I doubt I will get any help there hah.

I had this problem with Driver and solved it.

As a big fan of the Back to the Future movies I thought that series was great. If I weren't into the movies and played them just as adventures I would have been disappointed.

Yep. Clearly just speaking from a personal standpoint. I like XBL just fine, I just found it interesting that lately I really haven't found much use for it after getting into PC gaming. It really depends on what type of gamer you are and your necessities.

Also it seems like most games that you can find on XBL that are on Steam are cheaper on Steam.

Agree I lost my gold status a few months ago and haven't felt the urge to pay for gold again. $50 buys a lot of games on Steam. Just trying to convert my friends over to PC now.

MRORANGE

I honestly have no idea on what game to play after the Walking Dead, everything will be sub-par after that and the few hours of playing rage has not been great.

Forbiden

Because it basically is. No matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to think of one thing that XBL or PSN/SEN do better than Steam, and Steam is completely free.

I bought Dead Island around release, and own all DLC. It says I own GOTY, but my icon still hasn't changed. :(

I wonder why?

My situation is the opposite. I bought Dead Island about a week ago(during the steam summer sale). I know it was the regular edition of the game because of the icon, but last night when I got home I got on Steam and I noticed that the icon was different, saying "Game of the Year". When I go to the store page for Game of the Year, it says I already own the game. Do I actually have the GOTY version or is it just some sort of weird episode where I got the icon but not the game?

Finished Hard Reset earlier. It had that Painkiller design of locked arenas one after another, and I liked the areas of the game prior to the DLC levels. Any game that takes place in a desolate future city at night with permanent rain wins me over instantly; even if the city is completely littered with explosive barrels. Though I felt the game kinda sunk in quality at the later section, the inclusion of airborne enemy types and weapons that are mostly ineffective against them made for some frustrating encounters; not to mention the final boss is where fun goes to die as you're bombarded with infinitely spawning enemies to go along with it.

Ignoring the DLC levels, the game was some good mindless shooting fun. With the way the ammo worked I was always rolling with a shotgun, rocket launcher and railgun.

I'm waiting until October before I play Walking Dead. It's more like Heavy Rain rather than a traditional adventure game, right? Or am I thinking of Jurassic Park?

Riggs

Banned
Go into the Nvidia Control panel and check all the options in the area where you set the resolution and refresh rate, I think there's something there to force the image to fill the entire screen with the native resolution. Sorry for being vague I'm not at home.

No, start playing without him, having him later on randomly walk into the room and make a noise scaring the crap out of you can only add to the experience.

Yep forced it full screen. Weird never had to do that before, thanks a ton man. Ty for all the help guys!

Gvaz

Banned
I can't wait. I hope it fucks over everyone who bought the game and they raise a shitstorm about it.

Because if enough people complain maybe developers will stop fucking using that trash shit system. FUCKITY FUCK.

Sajjaja

I can't wait. I hope it fucks over everyone who bought the game and they raise a shitstorm about it.

Because if enough people complain maybe developers will stop fucking using that trash shit system. FUCKITY FUCK.

People wanted it on PC, it's coming to PC. GFWL is the easiest code they can use from the Xbox version.

Stop complaining guys, they didn't have to transfer. How about getting Microsoft to revamp it than hate developers for using it?

I've got a bunch of keys from Indie Gala 7: First PMs for each will get them.

Death to Spies 1/2 (if you love Hitman, welcome stealth back into your life.)
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Space Rangers
UFO Afterlight

Don't have any interest in the last three and already own both Death To Spies games.

Edit: Enjoy everyone!

I know nothing about the Dark Souls debacle. That's one of my favorite games ever, so... I probably should know why people are upset. Quick explanation?

I know nothing about the Dark Souls debacle. That's one of my favorite games ever, so... I probably should know why people are upset. Quick explanation?

It uses Games for Windows Live and that's known to cause issues for people. Save file corruption, looping updates for the GFWL client, and others.

AlexBasch

Quoting Adam Jensen: "I never asked for this" but daaaayum, they look amazing, thanks Salsa! :D

They deleted the vanilla game, reduced the GOTY game to $9.99 for current owners and deleted the stand alone DLC's, so if you have the game and want the DLC you'll have to buy the game with the DLC.

Some Xzibit shit right there.

x3sphere

People wanted it on PC, it's coming to PC. GFWL is the easiest code they can use from the Xbox version.

Stop complaining guys, they didn't have to transfer. How about getting Microsoft to revamp it than hate developers for using it?

I don't think it would've been a big deal for them to switch to full Steamworks. Pure laziness. Though, it's not surprising since they've already basically admitted the port is a rush job.

I would've bought it at release but I'll just wait for the $5 sale now.

gdt

Well, Dark Souls is mostly SW too. We get dat key redemption.

Seems like Namco knows what people want. Hopefully for Dark Souls 2, we get a PC version developed at the same time as the others. Steamworks.

Can't see why we would as long as this one does well. I expect this game to do good at launch, and huuuuuuuuuuuuuge when it starts going on sale.

ShaneB

Echoing the thoughts on The Walking Dead. Turned into a GOTY candidate for me. Great writing, care about the characters, wonderful interactions and always tense. And for an adventure game, I'm hooked in the story. I'm excited as hell for episode 3.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well, Dark Souls is mostly SW too. We get dat key redemption.

Seems like Namco knows what people want. Hopefully for Dark Souls 2, we get a PC version developed at the same time as the others. Steamworks.

Can't see why we would as long as this one does well. I expect this game to do good at launch, and huuuuuuuuuuuuuge when it starts going on sale.
Not really. Having Steam redemption keys just makes the regional transition easier and not having to partner with each individual service's DRM or system.

Gvaz

Banned
People don't lose their saves because they're deleted or corrupted, it's because the save game protection resets for various or random reasons and the profile associated with it loses ownership or rights to it. It's pretty easy to fix once you know how to do it, but a backup isn't gonna help you unless you rename it to the new file name associated with your profile.

Why is there savegame protection on fucking pc games in the first place when we can modify values in ram if we wanted to??

Echoing the thoughts on The Walking Dead. Turned into a GOTY candidate for me. Great writing, care about the characters, wonderful interactions and always tense. And for an adventure game, I'm hooked in the story. I'm excited as hell for episode 3.

Does it play it like Heavy Rain? I can never remember if it's this game people compare it to or Jurassic Park.

bigace33

I've got a bunch of keys from Indie Gala 7: First PMs for each will get them.

Death to Spies 1/2 (if you love Hitman, welcome stealth back into your life.)
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Space Rangers
UFO Afterlight

Don't have any interest in the last three and already own both Death To Spies games.

death to spies for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom