• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have that game... installed, even. I should try it.

Took some sweet pics to convince you.

lB7p2.jpg

wPNLc.jpg

aHLdW.jpg

Also you can get it for like $1 in the newest indie gala... and it's 25 dollars normally on steam. Twenty. Five. Dollars.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I bought the Indie Royale July bundle and already had Puzzle Agent. Anyone want it? First to reply gets the key.
Can I have it? If not, thanks anyway!

I find it funny that this really impatient guy has been asking for Puzzle Agent on EVERY SINGLE GAF giveaway thread today, and he's not getting it (unless that's an alt).

Serves him right:

At first, here on the Steam thread:
Does anyone have a free puzzle agent key they can spare me? I'm really interested in playing that series. PM me please?

9 minutes later, on the "Free to a good home" thread, where begging is frowned upon:
Does anyone have a free puzzle agent key from the Indie Royale they can spare me? I'm really interested in playing that series. PM me please?

9 minutes later (18 minutes after his first post), here again:
So no one has Puzzle Agent? :)

19 minutes later on the "Buy/sell/trade" thread, again asking for free stuff:
Anyone get a free Puzzle Qust Steam key? PM me.

Took some sweet pics to convince you.

Also you can get it for like $1 in the newest indie gala... and it's 25 dollars normally on steam. Twenty. Five. Dollars.

I've been itching to pick this up for some strange reason. Basically I want to play the game while listening to old Art Bell Coast to Coast broadcasts to really set the tone of my long-haul trucking.

So it's worth it?

I've been itching to pick this up for some strange reason. Basically I want to play the game while listening to old Art Bell Coast to Coast broadcasts to really set the tone of my long-haul trucking.

So it's worth it?

I mean it's shitty if that's what you want.

It's not as sim as I was expecting. Only takes like 2 real time hours I'd guesstimate to get from socal all the way to the north. The way the truck feels is pretty arcadey too.

Petrie

Banned
Alright kids, I've just finished installing my new SSD, with a fresh windows install. Is there any easy way to make sure I don't lose any of my save files from the old drive? I haven't wiped anything from it yet, and I'd like to make sure I keep as much as I can.

Is there an easy way to keep any of the installed games or will I need to reinstall them? I'm hoping to use Steam mover to eventually keep most of them on the slave drive, but I assume they have to go on the SSD and be installed first?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I mean it's shitty if that's what you want.

It's not as sim as I was expecting. Only takes like 2 real time hours I'd guesstimate to get from socal all the way to the north. The way the truck feels is pretty arcadey too.

Haha dammit - I have no idea about simulator games, it looks fun to an extent I guess.

Can someone highlight the new things I should care about in Borderlands 2 - I haven't followed the game at all.

Alright kids, I've just finished installing my new SSD, with a fresh windows install. Is there any easy way to make sure I don't lose any of my save files from the old drive? I haven't wiped anything from it yet, and I'd like to make sure I keep as much as I can.

Don't get rid of anything in the Documents folder or Steam folder. That's where any saves would be.

Nabs

GameSave Manager can help with a lot of that. Especially GFWL saves.

What kind of game exactly is X:Terran Conflict? Like Civ? Can I pilot awesome ships and fuck people up?

From my experience, which is very limited, it's more like EVE in that you are controlling an empire and doing a lot of resource management and shit. There is piloting and combat as well though.

Maybe someone else has a better, more accurate description.

From my experience, which is very limited, it's more like EVE in that you are controlling an empire and doing a lot of resource management and shit. There is piloting and combat as well though.

Maybe someone else has a better, more accurate description.

You can choose a combat career and start as a fighter pilot and upgrade to frigate and all fleet

gdt

Just started Costume Quest.

God, does Double Fine have the best writers around or what? Dat charm.

I'd love for DF to tackle something a bit more outside their comfort zone. Something horror maybe.

Just started Costume Quest.

God, does Double Fine have the best writers around or what? Dat charm.

I'd love for DF to tackle something a bit more outside their comfort zone. Something horror maybe.

I'd love to see this too. Costume Quest feels like a proper ass Halloween game. So proper I will be playing it on All Hallow's Eve.

Riggs

Banned
Hey all, I recently bought Batman AC for the PC.

Normally I play with mouse/KB on my monitor but for this game I actually prefer the 360 pad and using my TV. I've played many games on the TV off my computer, and all run full screen without a problem.

This game will not run full screen, it has black borders around the image. So it's not in a window, but it's not really full screen either. In the launcher options I have the game set to run at 1920X1080, and the same exact (native) resolution set in Nvidia control panel for my TV.

Alt - enter just switches between window'd and full screen (with the black borders). Not sure what else I can do at this point, every other game I play on my PC through my TV runs full screen just fine.

There are zero graphics options within the game itself, so launcher is all I got here to play with.

Didn't want to make my own thread for this, hope someone can help. Googling turns up shit : ( Also posted on steam forum but I doubt I will get any help there hah.

mackattk

Normally I play with mouse/KB on my monitor but for this game I actually prefer the 360 pad and using my TV. I've played many games on the TV off my computer, and all run full screen without a problem.

This game will not run full screen, it has black borders around the image. So it's not in a window, but it's not really full screen either. In the launcher options I have the game set to run at 1920X1080, and the same exact (native) resolution set in Nvidia control panel for my TV.

Alt - enter just switches between window'd and full screen (with the black borders). Not sure what else I can do at this point, every other game I play on my PC through my TV runs full screen just fine.

There are zero graphics options within the game itself, so launcher is all I got here to play with.

Didn't want to make my own thread for this, hope someone can help. Googling turns up shit : ( Also posted on steam forum but I doubt I will get any help there hah.

Have you tried any picture size options on your tv? I haven't played this game yet on the PC, so I am not sure.

Riggs

Banned
In display settings, change the resolution and aspect ratio until you get no borders?

That's the problem it's a 16:9 TV. The display settings are set to 1920X1080 16:9, there is no other option other then going down in resolution. I've tried 16:10 and 16:9 settings anyway, even though I would love to stay at 1080P instead of lowering the resolution. But nothing helps it seems.

Have you tried any picture size options on your tv? I haven't played this game yet on the PC, so I am not sure.

Ya the only thing I can do is stretch the picture which fills the screen but makes everything look like crap, and a bunch of stuff is hidden in the game. Normally I just have it set to Normal, every other game shows just fine in full screen with nothing hidden.

gdt

Time to dive back into Amnesia.....and I'm alone in this big ass house. My dog is downstairs though, I should call him up.

So Prototype crashes when you try to load a save file. Apparently the only work-around is, start a new game in a different slot, play for a few seconds, quit out and then load your the save you wanted to load in the first place.

What the fuck.

Eternia

What kind of game exactly is X:Terran Conflict? Like Civ? Can I pilot awesome ships and fuck people up?
You can pilot all sorts of ships ranging from small fighters, corvettes, freighters or even capital ships. Pretty much what you see in the game you buy. It's basically a real-time space sim where you can build your own empire.

The main focus of the game is combat and trading. You can outfit your ships with all sorts of lasers, kinetic weaponry, missiles, shields even boarding pods. A lot of the combat will likely be initiated by you through generic missions that pop up from stations or roaming through enemy sectors. Enemy fleets do wander around friendly sectors as well however. You can have AI control your other ships to help you in battle or patrol your territory. There is also different rules for in sector combat (where you are) and out of sector combat (the rest of the world).

Trading can be done manually with your own ship or you can automate pilots on other ships to trade goods. Cheap goods are bought from stations that specialize on a certain type of resource and are usually sold to another station that uses it as a primary/secondary resource. You can even build your own stations anywhere in the universe to start producing and selling goods from there directly with your fleet of traders. And it goes on from there.

blowred

Banned
That's the problem it's a 16:9 TV. The display settings are set to 1920X1080 16:9, there is no other option other then going down in resolution. I've tried 16:10 and 16:9 settings anyway, even though I would love to stay at 1080P instead of lowering the resolution. But nothing helps it seems.

Ya the only thing I can do is stretch the picture which fills the screen but makes everything look like crap, and a bunch of stuff is hidden in the game. Normally I just have it set to Normal, every other game shows just fine in full screen with nothing hidden.

Try to update display card drivers? If not then I don't know, You are probably using HDMI cables so its not a cable problem, you could try running the game in DirectX 9 since 10 is broken.

feel

Go into the Nvidia Control panel and check all the options in the area where you set the resolution and refresh rate, I think there's something there to force the image to fill the entire screen with the native resolution. Sorry for being vague I'm not at home.
Time to dive back into Amnesia.....and I'm alone in this big ass house. My dog is downstairs though, I should call him up.
No, start playing without him, having him later on randomly walk into the room and make a noise scaring the crap out of you can only add to the experience.

This game will not run full screen, t has black borders around the image. So it's not in a window, but it's not really full screen either. In the launcher options I have the game set to run at 1920X1080, and the same exact (native) resolution set in Nvidia control panel for my TV.

Try turning GPU-scaling off/on.

Also, check your overscan settings.

kafiend

Is there an easy way to keep any of the installed games or will I need to reinstall them? I'm hoping to use Steam mover to eventually keep most of them on the slave drive, but I assume they have to go on the SSD and be installed first?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you can still boot into the old install from your old HD use gamesavemanager to make a backup. http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

If this isnt possible. As well as Documents and Steam folder make sure you keep hold of these (usually hidden) folders located in your User folder.

Appdata/Local
Appdata/LocalLow
Appdata/Roaming

Path usually = C:\Users\whateveryourusernameis\AppData\Local\

etc

As well as lots of shit you will want to delete there will be save game files.

Whe I did the same as you I did it this way.
Retain a copy of the Steam Folder. Install Steam to a standard HD Not the SSD. Copy your old Steam install over the top. Use steam mover to move games TO the SSD as and when required.

I have to admit I only ever move a few games back onto my SSD as I don't see a lot of performance increase gaming wise. SSD for general day to day usage though is just WOW!

kafiend

You can pilot all sorts of ships ranging from small fighters, corvettes, freighters or even capital ships. Pretty much what you see in the game you buy. It's basically a real-time space sim where you can build your own empire.

The main focus of the game is combat and trading. You can outfit your ships with all sorts of lasers, kinetic weaponry, missiles, shields even boarding pods. A lot of the combat will likely be initiated by you through generic missions that pop up from stations or roaming through enemy sectors. Enemy fleets do wander around friendly sectors as well however. You can have AI control your other ships to help you in battle or patrol your territory. There is also different rules for in sector combat (where you are) and out of sector combat (the rest of the world).

Trading can be done manually with your own ship or you can automate pilots on other ships to trade goods. Cheap goods are bought from stations that specialize on a certain type of resource and are usually sold to another station that uses it as a primary/secondary resource. You can even build your own stations anywhere in the universe to start producing and selling goods from there directly with your fleet of traders. And it goes on from there.

In the earlier X games it was hard to build up a decent ship and Wingmen to go on a rampage with. The newer games provide you with plenty of ships as you play through the (totally optional) plot. Though going on a indiscriminate rampage is bad as pissed off races won't let you dock. Many pirates to go and kill though :)

I broke down and bought Prey on Amazon. After 2 and a half years of it not being able to purchase it on Steam, I have given up and bought a CD. I hope everyone was correct saying that the CD key for the game activates on Steam. I was there that fateful winter sale when they ran out of keys. I saw it and planned to purchase it that afternoon, and by the time i got to it, it was gone. $3 at amazon plus shipping sounds like a decent price. I don't know why I want this game so badly (liked the demo from what I can remember). I guess it just became my white whale.

The more I play Prototype the more it kinda feels like a tech demo. Stealth consuming a target in Prototype is so awkward compared to Prototype 2 and it's weird that there's two different button combinations for consuming a target. In Prototype 2, if you're undetected James Heller or disguised as someone else, you just ping the area with your radar (can you earn/unlock this later in Prototype 1?), see the aura of a character, know if they're in anyone's direct line of sight, and consume them. The very same buttons are used for consumption mid-combat, the only thing that changes the consumption from stealth to overt is the alert status.

It's also weird that you always have to be in the exact disguise of a character to open a locked section, it doesn't matter if you've consumed the character once already, you have to be in a particular disguise, if you lose it, you have to reacquire it. Prototype 2 does away with this, if the character's important and you've consumed them once, you're free to consume other people and will just swap into the necessary disguise to pass the checkpoint.

I guess it's kinda cool that you watch New York and its populace slowly transform as areas and people become infected.

Locomotion is largely the same between the two games, so it's just as satisfying to just navigate the environment in Prototype as it is in P2. It's a bit different in this game because Alex will do things like cave in the roofs of vehicles as he's jumping off of them, which wasn't something I noticed in P2. Also Alex seems to have more of a dramatic impact in the environment, the drops you make from great heights seem to have larger and more dramatic areas of effect. I felt bad when I missed a building, hit the swidewalk and sent a bunch of people flying into the air.

neoism

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

guys I verified my game cache for Batman AC and I started it up and my save is gone, steam version. Is it gone.. how do I use steam cloud it get it back I didn't back it up. :(

Jaxter09

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

guys I verified my game cache for Batman AC and I started it up and my save is gone, steam version. Is it gone.. how do I use steam cloud it get it back I didn't back it up. :(

Welcome to GFWL

Just start a new game, exit out, and navigate to your save game folder, you should see 2 save games that look something like this

e0000264dc05882b.sav

copy the name of the newest file (your new game) and then delete it and rename the older file (your original game) with the newer name you just copied and you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom