• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakkuei

I'm waiting until October before I play Walking Dead. It's more like Heavy Rain rather than a traditional adventure game, right? Or am I thinking of Jurassic Park?

Yeah it's definitely not a traditional adventure game (but rather an interactive story), don't expect any puzzle solving.

Never played Heavy Rain, so I'm useless in making that comparison :(

And isn't Jurassic Park pretty heavily regarded as a bunch of garbage?

Yeah, it is. I've had it for awhile but can't bring myself to play it.

Um, sort of but I found Heavy Rain kind of obnoxious to play for some reason. TWD, not so much.

The QTE's were definitely annoying.

Yeah it's definitely not a traditional adventure game, don't expect any puzzle solving.

That's what I figured. I know it's been successful for TellTale but I hope that all of their games won't follow this direction for now on.

Derrick01

Banned
I'll throw my recommendation in for Walking Dead. It's #2 on my goty list right now and I'm almost looking forward to episode 3 more than sleeping dogs/darksiders 2 in mid august. It kind of is like Heavy Rain but with actual good writing and tension.

Sajjaja

I don't think it would've been a big deal for them to switch to full Steamworks. Pure laziness. Though, it's not surprising since they've already basically admitted the port is a rush job.

I would've bought it at release but I'll just wait for the $5 sale now.

I think you forget to realize that Namco is the publisher for Dark Souls. Namco is nortorious for being lazy and cutting corners. We should all be greatful that we are actually getting such a fantastic game on PC.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm looking for 2 more people for the Torchlight 2 4-pack (pm me) and, uh ...

is this the right thread for this?

apparently not!

e: apparently yes?

chixdiggit

I'll throw my recommendation in for Walking Dead. It's #2 on my goty list right now and I'm almost looking forward to episode 3 more than sleeping dogs/darksiders 2 in mid august. It kind of is like Heavy Rain but with actual good writing and tension.

Can't wait to start playing this. How long is each episode roughly?

AlexBasch

I really liked the first episode of Walking Dead, but I'll wait for a winter sale since it's an "incomplete" game right now, you guys think that the fifth episode will be released by december?

Kalnos

Banned
I really liked the first episode of Walking Dead, but I'll wait for a winter sale since it's an "incomplete" game right now, you guys think that the fifth episode will be released by december?

wait.. what? The episodes aren't sold separately, if you played part 1 you bought them all.

People wanted it on PC, it's coming to PC. GFWL is the easiest code they can use from the Xbox version.

Stop complaining guys, they didn't have to transfer. How about getting Microsoft to revamp it than hate developers for using it?

Microsoft has repeatedly revamped and relaunched Games For Windows Live, they have had years to get their service into shape, yet GFWL remains borderline malware. All Microsoft have done is made half-hearted attempts that are quickly abandoned (see the latest GFWL relaunch, kicked off with a GFWL website/client that got folded into xbox.com, Fable 3, Flight Simulator, AoE Online and...nothing else) they will never improve or fix Games For Windows Live, if they were going to, they would have done it years ago. For a company that used to be one of the largest PC gaming publishers, Microsoft clearly no longer employ people in their gaming division that understands PC gaming. This much is clear.

The only recourse consumers do have is to complain or simply outright not purchase games that use the "service". Clearly common sense is winning out as fewer and fewer games come out saddled with GFWL. It's largely just Capcom and Rocksteady keeping this turd afloat.

AlexBasch

I know its a steam thread, but he could of played the X360 version.That, or pirated copy.
Yup, a friend bought the Season Pass on 360 and I played the first episode at his place.

I suppose console talk in Steam is frowned upon, but yes, that's what happened.

EDIT: Apparently there is no season pass thing for the 360. Do they sell them separately? Fuck that noise. :p Now I understand why they didn't release BttF there. I wish they could have released the first 15 minutes or something of it for free like they did for BttF, impossible, I know, but that's how I got interested on the game and I'm kicking myself for not buying it in the flash deal. ):

Started playing NFS HP.

Started off down on it. "Why did so many people like this?"

Started playing the police missions. "Okay this is a lot of fun. Game is good."

Starts playing the missions where you can't touch the walls. "Fuck this shit."

So many ups and downs.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Best driving game since paradise

If every mission was a hot pursuit or a race I would agree but those god damn quick response/time trial missions just plain suck. +5 seconds for tapping a wall!? Really!?

ShaneB

Started playing NFS HP.

Started off down on it. "Why did so many people like this?"

Started playing the police missions. "Okay this is a lot of fun. Game is good."

Starts playing the missions where you can't touch the walls. "Fuck this shit."

So many ups and downs.

My thoughts as well. I enjoyed the other races a hell of a lot more.

Derrick01

Banned
Can't wait to start playing this. How long is each episode roughly?

2-3 hours each. I didn't think they felt short while playing but I was pretty into it and played them both in 1 sitting so it probably felt longer. Either way if the last 3 episodes keep that length up that's a 10-15 hour game, more than enough.

Wow yeah, Walking Dead is my surprise game of the Steam sale. Just finished the first episode. I got a little emotional during a couple sections, which pretty much never happens with games. Really well written.

Now to decide whether to dive into the second ep or space it out a bit...

The first Prototype is game-y but in some of the dumbest ways. Power-ups and moves are just something you buy; you do stuff--fight enemies, absorb enemies, complete random open world activities, do story missions, whatever--you get xp, you pause the game, bring up a sub-menu, buy moves and power-ups. There's no context for any of it, you just spend the in-game currency and unlock stuff.

In Prototype 2 your main powers are worked into the narrative and gameplay, there's actual context for acquiring them. You fight a boss with the whiphand, you absorb that boss, you get that power Megaman-style. Random enemies can power up your main moves, you never know what the enemy will power up, you just see an enemy with the genetic marker over their head, stop what you're doing, fight them, absorb them and a move becomes more powerful.

In Prototype 1 I just bought the powerfists and eventually upgraded them when I earned enough xp. In Prototype 2 I fought a badass new enemy type, killed it, absorbed it, gained the power fists. Then I fought a series of random badass enemies in the openworld and powered up those fists.

Smash88

Banned
Bought Borderlands 2 for $35 on GMG.

Hopefully it activates on Steam, and I'm good to go. $35 versus $60 on Steam that won't be at the price until Winter 2014.

I've got a bunch of keys from Indie Gala 7: First PMs for each will get them.

Death to Spies 1/2 (if you love Hitman, welcome stealth back into your life.)
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Space Rangers
UFO Afterlight

Don't have any interest in the last three and already own both Death To Spies games.

I would LOVE UFO Afterlight, Thank you!

Momentary

Banned
Since Borderlands 2 is region locked on Steam for me, would Amazon have a Steam Key available? From what I've researched online I heard that Borderlands 2 has Steamworks, does that mean that I can just enable it on Steam once I download it from Amazon? I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I used Google and really couldn't find anything.

Koroviev

Since Borderlands 2 is region locked on Steam for me, would Amazon have a Steam Key available? From what I've researched online I heard that Borderlands 2 has Steamworks, does that mean that I can just enable it on Steam once I download it from Amazon? I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I used Google and really couldn't find anything.

If Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game, then it must be activated and downloaded through Steam.

Soi-Fong

Wow yeah, Walking Dead is my surprise game of the Steam sale. Just finished the first episode. I got a little emotional during a couple sections, which pretty much never happens with games. Really well written.

Now to decide whether to dive into the second ep or space it out a bit...

Pretty much how it is for me. Finished episode one, but really don't wanna play episode 2 just so the wait isn't long for 3.

Card Boy

Banned

I would be carefull. 2K Games has a tendacy to region lock games from Amazon if you're not American (see Mafia 2). Buyer beware.

ShaneB

Just finished Psychonauts. I say finished, but from the amount of achievements I have left, I apparently missed a lot. Will I go back and get them? ehhh.. fun game, but don't care to go back to it.

It was a lot of fun except the last platforming section, just lots of awkward jumps and having to restart over and over almost killed my interest in finishing it. Overall, it was really funny, but at times a little too weird. Definitely a hard game to sell when everything is so off the wall insane! Glad I played it though to get it off the wall of shame, and it is definitely unique, with that wonderful Double Fine charm.

Rorschach

"this game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

wtf? What does this mean? It's installed... and it's not like I'm offline either...

Blizzard

Banned
"this game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

wtf? What does this mean? It's installed... and it's not like I'm offline either...
It means Valve's servers are messed up (for the license check specifically I think?) so you can't play the game.

Finished up Driver: San Fran's story missions. I don't play a lot of driving games (Burnout Paradise was my last, and I didn't like it as much as previous Burnouts), but Driver left me feeling good-- even if most of the races I was in ended in me possessing oncoming traffic to wreck every other driver leaving me winner by default. Loved the last few ending missions as well. Definitely going to go back to this one and play around with the rest of the challenges and such, I wanna unlock dat McLaren F1.

MasLegio

Banned
It could be that he had already raised the armies you were trying to raise when you assumed power.

Read this Let's Play and go through the tutorials. 300 hours in and I can tell you, it's not that large of a hump. If you put a little into learning it, you'll get past it easily.

tried to do the tutorial but the came across a bug that did not let me continue the tutorial or quit it, I would call that a major hump. Have not touched the game since and will neither buy any future DLC for it just because of this bug. Paradox really need to do some more Q&A on their games.

xJavonta

Banned
Finished up Driver: San Fran's story missions. I don't play a lot of driving games (Burnout Paradise was my last, and I didn't like it as much as previous Burnouts), but Driver left me feeling good-- even if most of the races I was in ended in me possessing oncoming traffic to wreck every other driver leaving me winner by default. Loved the last few ending missions as well. Definitely going to go back to this one and play around with the rest of the challenges and such, I wanna unlock dat McLaren F1.

The game is so good. I have yet to try multiplayer, I just started a New Game+ and I fuck around in there. The game is even easier when you have a ton of fast cars unlocked already lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom