• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Finished up Driver: San Fran's story missions. I don't play a lot of driving games (Burnout Paradise was my last, and I didn't like it as much as previous Burnouts), but Driver left me feeling good-- even if most of the races I was in ended in me possessing oncoming traffic to wreck every other driver leaving me winner by default. Loved the last few ending missions as well. Definitely going to go back to this one and play around with the rest of the challenges and such, I wanna unlock dat McLaren F1.
Try the multi too. It's really picked back up post summer sale. Haven't had that much fun in a multiplayer driving game since Micro Machines 64.

Speaking of top down racers, Death Rally is coming next Friday. It's been a busy summer for indies.

Wok

I've got a bunch of keys from Indie Gala 7: First PMs for each will get them.

Death to Spies 1/2 (if you love Hitman, welcome stealth back into your life.)
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Space Rangers
UFO Afterlight

Don't have any interest in the last three and already own both Death To Spies games.

Are Space Rangers and UFO Afterlight still available?

Prototype's main missions and the web of intrigue (even though it's largely just go here, consume this person) are enjoyable and ultimately are what are driving me to play through the game. I find the openworld missions are pretty hit and miss, the only activities I find truly entertaining out of the lot are the desturction marathons where you have to kill x number of enemies in y amount of time. Everything else is usually one and done, no matter how I place (although half of the activities have been cleared with a gold). I don't really feel driven to play most of the openworld events because I don't find them to be particularly fun and I always have more than enough points to buy every ability as they become available for purchase.

I really don't like that every open world activity in Prototype is timed and often for no apparent reason, it's just a contrived constraint to place on most missions. Get the the military base, consume the right person to gain entry in x amount of time, get access to the base, time limit vanishes. Why even have a time limit for that mission in the first place? It's not even part of the mission goal to arrive at the location in a certain amount of time. It's just contrived, which I think is a complaint I can level at a lot of Prototypes design, mission structure and mechanics.

The core gameplay is fun but I find the biggest difference between Prototype 1 and 2 is how much you have to rely on weapons and vehicles during combat in the first game. You're powerful, but not that powerful if you have to stoop to use standard weapons and vehicles. Which is kind of a shame. I kinda like that those things are largely just an option for Prototype 2 and you can pretty much just play through the game with your powers. That;s what separates Prototype from other games, the crazy powers. I wish Prototype 2 had the badass armor that Alex Mercer unlocks about half-way through the first game.

Looking at the stats I'm 9 hours in and roughly half way done the game (15 out of 31 missions complete). It's been a very Prototype-y weekend.

NZNova

I did not fucking buy so many games to find myself replaying Fallout 3 which I already completed in the Xbox.

I'm finding it really hard to get into Fallout 3. I'm only just getting started (making my way to the radio station at the start of the game) and I'm finding it hard to keep going. The shooting is unsatisfying as hell. I want to like it, but I'm really finding it hard to stick at it.

dreamfall

dude as of right now im doing New Game+ on Arkham City

bought it and finished it at release

it just happens

Can I ask what display settings you're using?! I can't seem to get it to look right- when I put the DX11 features on, FPS drops like crazy. I seem to be using 8XMSAA instead of FXAA with DX9 (I'm using an EVGA GTX680, 3.5ghz Ivy).

Oh Steam GAF, you all are awesome. These threads throughout and after sales have warmed my heart!

Blizzard

Banned
I remember Borderlands being one of the VERY few games I've ever regretteed getting (on Steam), along with Brink. Mostly that was because I got it Borderlands at release and the Gamespy matchmaking stuff was horribly broken. I also never got it looking decent on my computer (ATI card, thus no AA or whatever).

Steam makes it look like the sequel is $60 rather than $50 though. :/ That's a lot for a new release on Steam with no preorder discount, unless I'm just missing something. And there's something about a special class that only preorders get or something?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can I ask what display settings you're using?! I can't seem to get it to look right- when I put the DX11 features on, FPS drops like crazy. I seem to be using 8XMSAA instead of FXAA with DX9 (I'm using an EVGA GTX680, 3.5ghz Ivy).

Arkham City's DX11 renderer is terribly optimised.

Xanathus

I remember Borderlands being one of the VERY few games I've ever regretteed getting (on Steam), along with Brink. Mostly that was because I got it Borderlands at release and the Gamespy matchmaking stuff was horribly broken. I also never got it looking decent on my computer (ATI card, thus no AA or whatever).

Steam makes it look like the sequel is $60 rather than $50 though. :/ That's a lot for a new release on Steam with no preorder discount, unless I'm just missing something. And there's something about a special class that only preorders get or something?

It's easily $40 on GMG or ~$33 if you join a UK Steam 4-pack. The preorder thing is some stuff that you probably don't care about and the post-release DLC class Mechromancer that will be a paid DLC for people who didn't pre-order it.

vareon

I have disturbingly miscalculated the playtime of Recettear. The other games I bought during Steam Sale now sat nicely in backlog :/

Salsa

Can I ask what display settings you're using?!

6LJGi.png

sorry about the spanish but easy to figure out

running on a single GTX560ti + i5 2500k @ stock. Constant 60fps except for some jankiness after flying around the crowded city for a bit that feels more like small lock-ups so I dont know if it isnt an engine issue rather than the rig not being up to the task.

Playing on my TV so the low res helps

DX11 optimization is awful. Not worth it, game is still fuckin gorgeous on DX9.

(and even on Steam's shitty screenshot compression)

Miller batman is best batman

MasLegio

Banned
I'm finding it really hard to get into Fallout 3. I'm only just getting started (making my way to the radio station at the start of the game) and I'm finding it hard to keep going. The shooting is unsatisfying as hell. I want to like it, but I'm really finding it hard to stick at it.

you are not supposed to play Fallout 3 as a pure shooter.
In the beginning you suck at shooting because your character sucks at shooting, it is a skill that needs leveling ingame.
Also, play the shooting in VATS as it is supposed to be played.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did you fix your issues Riggs :3?

edit: Sorry, I'm stupid! You did! Awesome :D

Anyone playing Borderlands after the free weekend? I remembered that I never actually finished it so I'm trying my hand at it now

Pub games are pretty much people running around opening chests and levelling off my efforts

Anyone know if Ravaged is going to be any good? Wilflare, it says you own it when I look at the store page, are you in a beta or something?

Raide

Anyone playing Borderlands after the free weekend? I remembered that I never actually finished it so I'm trying my hand at it now

Pub games are pretty much people running around opening chests and levelling off my efforts

I played loads on 360 and had a quick go on PC. More than enough to get me ready for Borderlands 2. I can wait!

Sarcasm

I keep hearing people activating their EA stuff on Origin for just incase moments, should I do that too? Say I go do it with my Sims3..can I still play the steam one?

MRORANGE

I keep hearing people activating their EA stuff on Origin for just incase moments, should I do that too? Say I go do it with my Sims3..can I still play the steam one?

If the game has a key you can most likely register it on Origin, you can still use your Steam version as well.

Derrick01

Banned

running on a single GTX560ti + i5 2500k @ stock. Constant 60fps except for some jankiness after flying around the crowded city for a bit that feels more like small lock-ups so I dont know if it isnt an engine issue rather than the rig not being up to the task.

Yeah it's a UE issue but it seems to affect some more than others. Like when I fly around it stutters pretty good but after a section of the city loads in the background I can fly around all I want at 60fps. Thankfully it never stutters while I'm on the ground fighting. That would ruin the game.

On another note I just noticed South Park is listed at $60 on GMG. I think that would be the first THQ PC game to be $60, I hope it's just placeholder but I guess the SP license could have pushed it to that price. But between that and 2K moving to $60 PC games it's really pissing me off.

bigace33

Keep at it bro, the game get's seriously better the further you go, and you will end up on a wild journey and see things that will wow you and make you laugh. One of the five best games ever made, period.

bigace33

Wut? It's not even the best fallout.

To anyone having a hard time enjoying Fallout 3, just play New Vegas and save yourselves the pain of suffering through 3.

Vegas is a good game as well, but it does not compare to 3. I know Fallout 3 did not click with a lot of people, but those who actually enjoyed it will tell you it is a top tier game.

13893074.jpg

Giard

Question: I see the Borderlands 2 4 Pack on Amazon at 161.97. I don't have the original Borderlands, yet there's already 10% off. In the description, it says that when you own the original Borderlands, you get 10% off. So, is this another 10% off that will add to the existing 10%, or is this a bug and I'm not supposed to see the 10% off?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fallout 3 is good if you mod it out to heck, but it's fucking crashy as shit compared to new vegas.

Funny seeing that today I have to resort to console commands to fix a broken quest script in new vegas. Also have to work around an infinite loading glitch.

Still a pretty fun game though.

Derrick01

Banned
Fallout 3 is the fourth best game in the series.

Pretty much. Mods save the game a bit like any Bethesda game but you can't mod in good writing, story and quests. Not to mention the more RPG elements NV had.

Honestly I'm not sure how one can objectively say 3 was better in any way when it's obvious it's lacking in most areas.

dreamfall

6LJGi.png

Playing on my TV so the low res helps

DX11 optimization is awful. Not worth it, game is still fuckin gorgeous on DX9.

Much appreciated! I figure I'll stick to the 8XMSAA and crank up all the little details. And hell, even with the compression, those shots look absolutely stunning! Thanks for the info- definitely staying away from the DX11 features. I seriously thought my computer was going to keep stuttering/chugging until it fell apart.

Lancehead

Vegas is a good game as well, but it does not compare to 3. I know Fallout 3 did not click with a lot of people, but those who actually enjoyed it will tell you it is a top tier game.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/13893074.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Kinda true. Fallout 3 wanted to be an open-world game whereas New Vegas an RPG.

bigace33

Admittedly I'm not a Fallout series veteran. I have never played the earlier games. I have way too many games to play to even think of going back to try them, but Fallout 3 just did something for me. I hated it when I first started playing, then everything clicked, and I was drawn in to this huge adventure that gripped me for 90+ hours. It is a great game in my opinion. I hear Fallout vets always knock it, but I've been playing games for quite some time now, and I know a great game when I see it. Bugs aside, FO3 is a great game. Vegas is really good as well but it didn't reel me in like FO3. The story and characters are much more memorable than Vegas's story.

I've only played a little of New Vegas after getting it in the summer sale but I've read a lot of the arguments between fans of FO3 and NV and I find that I agree with the latter more. The two common points I see from FO3 fans are that it was often their first Fallout game and they like it so much because of the atmosphere, the experience or whatever. It's vague but understandable to feel that the game is "more than the sum of its parts." But in just about every way New Vegas is objectively better. It's a better deigned RPG, has better writing, characters and quests because Obsidian is frankly just better at this than Bethesda.

If you think in any way that FO3's story is better than NV then just look at the ending before the Broken Steel DLC.
The player has the choice of sending another person in to the radiation death room or sacrificing themselves (so deep!). But the choice was meaningless as the game ended at that point anyway so the player didn't really have the motive to stay alive. Then there's the gaping plothole of having a radiation immune super mutant with you who would have been perfectly capable of going into the control room without anyone having to die. They fixed this with Broken Steel but you still get the bad ending, with Ron Perlman saying you didn't live up to your father. For what, having common sense?

HoosTrax

I've only played a little of New Vegas after getting it in the summer sale but I've read a lot of the arguments between fans of FO3 and NV and I find that I agree with the latter more. The two common points I see from FO3 fans are that it was often their first Fallout game and they like it so much because of the atmosphere, the experience or whatever. It's vague but understandable to feel that the game is "more than the sum of its parts." But in just about every way New Vegas is objectively better. It's a better deigned RPG, has better writing, characters and quests because Obsidian is frankly just better at this than Bethesda.

If you think in any way that FO3's story is better than NV then just look at the ending before the Broken Steel DLC.
The player has the choice of sending another person in to the radiation death room or sacrificing themselves (so deep!). But the choice was meaningless as the game ended at that point anyway so the player didn't really have the motive to stay alive. Then there's the gaping plothole of having a radiation immune super mutant with you who would have been perfectly capable of going into the control room without anyone having to die. They fixed this with Broken Steel but you still get the bad ending, with Ron Perlman saying you didn't live up to your father. For what, having common sense?
Spoiler tags, use them! (not everyone has finished the game)

I didn't like Fallout 3 as much as New Vegas but NV was my first experience. I did damn near everything in NV and played Fallout 3 about six months after so I was probably suffering from a bit of Fallout fatigue. I just got to a point where I just steamrolled the main story to be done.

I am finally starting Vampire the Masquerade. I've had it installed for like six months. The main theme song for the game is great, I even paused the game just to listen to it for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom