• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Anyone else suffering post sale depression? I pretty much have nothing to look forward to in my days now...

All the games I bought during the sale were meant to tide me over until Guild Wars 2. It's not working very well.

I'm suffering from games depression. It's been 2 1/2 months since I last played a big release and even longer since I played something new that was good and there's still 2 weeks to go until sleeping dogs/darksiders 2. 2012 sucks and summer sucks.

Stop playing big-release cutscene-handhold-y fests. And refresh yourself with indie games!

HoosTrax

I'm suffering from games depression. It's been 2 1/2 months since I last played a big release and even longer since I played something new that was good and there's still 2 weeks to go until sleeping dogs/darksiders 2. 2012 sucks and summer sucks.
Get addicted to an online MP game. Problem solved.

bigace33

I would probably hang myself if I did that. Can't stand indie games.

lol Derrick hates every game. Man Indie games are awesome. Try out something like Nation Red, or Bastion. I was sort of like you for a while, but then I just opened my mind to new things and started playing games that may not appeal to me right away. lol I just jumped on board Team Fortress 2 (because it was free) and now I'm hooked. I hate I waited so long. Stop scrutinizing the games so much and just enjoy. 8^P

Derrick01

Banned
Get addicted to an online MP game. Problem solved.

Heh as much as I rail on MP stuff here I don't think that's happening anytime soon. I've been trying to learn Shogun 2 more in this dry period so I'm keeping somewhat busy.

Eh, not really. Indie generally means medicore platformer these days.

Yeah I'm going to go insane if I see another 2D platformer but with "a new physics twist you've seen 100 times already!". The only indie game I've played that I don't consider a waste of my time was Terraria. Otherwise they're just cheap arcade games with people trying to throw some gimmicky idea in to focus on for the whole game. I need some form of production values, and that means the whole package so I don't want to see "hurr durr graphix hore"

CecilRousso said:
Indie for me it means things like Endless Space

I am interested in trying this sometime but that's all I can say as far as indies go.

bigace33

lol No. You guys are missing out big time by only relegating yourself to big releases. Try out the point and click genre with something like Resonance, or Gemini Rue. If you have a Wii pick up Batman Brave and Bold for some nice beat em up action. Free your minds from gaming elitism bros.

Anyone else suffering post sale depression? I pretty much have nothing to look forward to in my days now...

Nah, there's a lot of games coming out in August I'm looking forward to. I actually wish I hadn't spent so much during the sale so I can buy them all.

aYatn.gif

Indie for me it means things like Endless Space, Dear Esther, Orcs Must Die 2, Resonance, Krater, Tiny&Big, Penny Arcade Ep3 etc.

If you can´t stand games like that, well......your loss. :)

Wasn't really counting games that have a publisher. Tiny & Big was a pleasant surprise tho, really enjoyed that one.

Koroviev

Still a great game, you should by it if you like third person shooters and enjoy a fun story. It is very B-movie action movie, but in a good way.

Awesome game. U should play it.

Still a top five game of the year for me.

I really really enjoyed it. $10 is great for it, in my opinion at least.

If you've played a lot of 3rd person shooters recently and are looking for something else, it's not for you. If you want a goofy (for the most part) and fun game with a decent story and strange dating sim mechanics on top of it, go for it.

Hmm, I have amd and never ran into this... or at least that I noticed.

Great game, if you're into third person shooters at all it's easily worth the money.

Went ahead and bought it from Get Games. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

DukeBobby

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is fucking fantastic so far. Definitely the best game I bought in the sale. If you didn't buy it or already own it...what the hell is wrong with you? :p

I would probably hang myself if I did that. Can't stand indie games.

Some suggestions for you! Frozen Synapse / SPAZ / Dungeons of Dredmor / Avernum: Escape From The Pit / Wizorb / Legend of Grimrock / Lone Survivor

Surprised about your opinion that all indie has to offer is platform games.. my list at least proves that such a statement is far from the truth. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Aside from the gameplay, which as far as I know is also good, some of the music in the King's Bounty games is amazing. I almost seem to recall that the files are just in a subdirectory so you can listen to it outside the game as well. A few selections from armored princess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FfOMtClg9U&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqZ7sDyLw8&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7lTjcs2efw&fmt=18 (probably my favorite)

Look at all of these retro platformers.
Or to take an example on Steam made by a NeoGAF person, Sequence.

Gav47

When you start Steam are it just sits on "Updating Steam..." without moving, is there a standard fix?

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob and trying it again, check your taskmanager to see if Steam is properly closing down when you exit. The last time that happened to me it was a problem on Steam's end and I just had to wait it out.

Derrick01

Banned
Some suggestions for you! Frozen Synapse / SPAZ / Dungeons of Dredmor / Avernum: Escape From The Pit / Wizorb / Legend of Grimrock / Lone Survivor

Surprised about your opinion that all indie has to offer is platform games.. my list at least proves that such a statement is far from the truth. :p

I have almost all of those and they sucked. It doesn't have to be a platformer to suffer the same problems indie games normally have.

Blizzard

Banned
I have almost all of those and they sucked. It doesn't have to be a platformer to suffer the same problems indie games normally have.
"they sucked" isn't very descriptive; what were the problems with them? As far as I know, quite a few people enjoy them, so you might be an exception in thinking they sucked.

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob and trying it again, check your taskmanager to see if Steam is properly closing down when you exit. The last time that happened to me it was a problem on Steam's end and I just had to wait it out.

Tried all that, restarting my computer, etc.. Still not working :/

Caerith

There's really no correlation between indie and suckage. I mean if you're determined to dislike everything there's no convincing you, but there are lots of "professional" games that suck and lots of indie games that suck, and there are also some good games regardless of who has made them.

Frozen Synapse does not suck.
Frozen Synapse is the worst platformer I've ever played. You can't even jump.

Giard

I have two slots open in a Borderlands 2 four pack if anyone's interested. It'll be £21.25(~$33.50) each as I had to buy Borderlands GOTY to get the 10% off discount.
For payment Paypal me the money in GBP please.

1. Zoidberg_Jesus
2. Zoidberg_Jesus

Very tempting...
I think I'm gonna wait. I have tons of games to play, including Guild Wars 2

Derrick01
jett/Mr. Negativity 2.0
(Today, 01:21 PM)

Another doubt i have.

Anyone else have come across some weird problem? The game crashes and any other game i tried to play experiences weird graphical artifacts and does not work.

I restarted the machine, played some other games and it seems to work fine. The card never went above 67 celcius, so i guess it was not the card, plus they werent any crash reports and the graphics at the desktop weree fine.

Any ideas?

MNC

Dear God, getting DLC to work with GFWL is such an abomination. It's taken me an hour to get Harley Quinn's revenge working.

RetroMG

This is kind of an off the wall question, but is there a way to sort steam games by size? Or a website that will break down your list by size? I'm re-downloading all of my games after a hard drive wipe, and I would like to hit the smallest games first.

Shantom

This is kind of an off the wall question, but is there a way to sort steam games by size? Or a website that will break down your list by size? I'm re-downloading all of my games after a hard drive wipe, and I would like to hit the smallest games first.

If you go to your playtime records in community you can see the sizes of the games, unfortunately you can't sort by size.

Tukker

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is fucking fantastic so far. Definitely the best game I bought in the sale. If you didn't buy it or already own it...what the hell is wrong with you? :p

Got it installed and wanting to play it, I just hope it doesnt have too much horror shock moments ;P

Could you elaborate what made you think Dungeons of Dredmor sucked? I put over 10 hours in this game and its a great title imo. Maybe you just don't like the genre?

HoosTrax

I've always wanted this feature as well, and you'd think it'd be simple for them to implement, and especially desirable with the new remote download thing they added.

I don't think I'd ever be in a situation where my Steam drive would be wiped (I keep a dedicated hard drive for Steam and a separate SSD for my OS, so unless my Steam HDD died, god forbid...), but I still buy games in bulk a couple times a year, so I'd like to see this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom