• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

I brought it up earlier, as far as I can see no one has claimed it.

I'd do it, but I think GAF would be disappointed. I hate bloated OTs, I would just put a few things together...

It would be the opposite of the abomination that was the AC:R thread.

Go for it, all you really need to post is tweaks/configs and how to stop losing saves, everything else is pretty much covered in the other OT

Detox

I thought you sent Steam a message on Friday? They don't work weekends.
From what I can gather they do work weekends there is just less of them on the weekend shift. I think the support team probably have a lot more tickets to deal with after the summer sale but 4 days is ridiculous.

Derrick01

Banned
Indian support is better than close-to-zero support.

I don't know. The few steam problems I've had I could wait a while, but India support with EA always gives me struggles. Whether it's them not understanding me due to not understanding english 100% or sending me on some internet scavenger hunt just to put Mass Effect 1 on my Origin account.

iNvid02

I brought it up earlier, as far as I can see no one has claimed it.

I'd do it, but I think GAF would be disappointed. I hate bloated OTs, I would just put a few things together...

It would be the opposite of the abomination that was the AC:R thread.

you'd be making a pc only thread, all it needs to cover are some basic things like orange said

i think the main thing will be warning everyone that there is a new boss called GFWL which actively hunts your save files

indigocyclops made the original OT, you dont need to do much at all

and if it doesnt turn out as awesome as the ACR thread dont worry about it

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Saw my friend play Borderlands (on PC) for the first time... I couldn't stay away from it! It's so gorgeous, I started playing it myself :3!

Credo

I'm struggling to stay away from Borderlands since I've seen so many people playing it recently. I've always heard great things from GAF, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tear myself away.

But I just started Ys: Oath in Felghana a couple of days ago, and I don't want anything to distract me from that. So for whoever it was on GAF that talked me into buying Oath in Felghana, thank you!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm struggling to stay away from Borderlands since I've seen so many people playing it recently. I've always heard great things from GAF, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tear myself away.

But I just started Ys: Oath in Felghana a couple of days ago, and I don't want anything to distract me from that. So for whoever it was on GAF that talked me into buying Oath in Felghana, thank you!
It was my pleasure to recommend you an Ys game :D

Now do yourself a favor and listen to what I had to say about Borderlands!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Played a ton of Divine Divinity over the weekend. Still a brilliant game, one of the all time best crpgs. I wish more games would feature an isometric static camera. I prefer that to the 3D zoomable/rotatable camera angles, but then again I am old school.

Got past the first dungeon and now I am ready to rumble. First dungeon is the only hurdle in the game since it is too diabloish and is not representative of the rest of the game.

Credo

I had always been hesitant to try Ys games because when I heard them discussed on retro game podcasts, it sounded like the battle system was basically "run into things until they die," which didn't sound so great to me. But this is a whole different experience. Also, this is the first time I've kept the music on in a game in a long time. Usually, I just listen to podcasts after a little while, but this is great.

And yes, I'll try out Borderlands a little later today, Dino-chan.

ShaneB

Played a ton of Divine Divinity over the weekend. Still a brilliant game, one of the all time best crpgs. I wish more games would feature an isometric static camera. I prefer that to the 3D zoomable/rotatable camera angles, but then again I am old school.

Got past the first dungeon and now I am ready to rumble. First dungeon is the only hurdle in the game since it is too diabloish and is not representative of the rest of the game.

Good to hear this, it's sitting on my list, installed, ready to play. Just a matter of getting in the mood to play it :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You beat Kingdoms of Amalur? Welcome to the 1%. I lasted a good 40 hours but I probably still hadn't seen at least half of the game yet.

I pre-purchased the game, so it's taken me a while, haha. I think I reached Detyr before burning myself out on the game, relegating it to the virtual shelf. It was only when I read about 38 Studios and BHG closing their respective doors that I was reminded of the game's existence. I actually think I enjoyed it more upon returning to it. It's just the right mix of Fable-esque RPG Lite with shallow MMORPG underpinnings and a hack-and-slash-inspired combat system.

The game lasted longer than their company did.

badumtish.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had always been hesitant to try Ys games because when I heard them discussed on retro game podcasts, it sounded like the battle system was basically "run into things until they die," which didn't sound so great to me. But this is a whole different experience. Also, this is the first time I've kept the music on in a game in a long time. Usually, I just listen to podcasts after a little while, but this is great.

And yes, I'll try out Borderlands a little later today, Dino-chan.

Of the localized games, only Ys 1 & 2 don't have attack buttons (2 does have a button to fire off magic though). But they're still really fun, having played Chronicles on PSP, I'm not sure I'd want those games any other way.

And Ys music is pretty much always awesome. You can actually dig the songs out of the installation directory, they're in OGG format (but naturally they're not tagged or anything).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've been playing a crap load of Divine Divinity.

It's without a doubt my steal of the Summer Sale; this much game for $3.99 is criminal.

I very much regretted buying Amalur. I forced myself to play it for about 10 hours though it wasn't fun much of that 10 hours even. The combat is ok. It is certainly no Devil May Cry or even Darksiders or God of War. I dont' think the combat gets a pass at being pretty standard just because it is an open world game.

As for the open part itself, if there has ever been a more generic and boring open world, I haven't seen it. Two Worlds worlds are vastly more interesting and full of color and humor and those games get a lot of flack. Amalur seems like almost the very definition of generic and majority of the quests you get are the most filler fetch quest bullshit I've ever seen. I tried four times to make myself go back and play it more since I paid $50 for it. I hate that game. In fact it is the only game I have felt this way about in years. I guess I should be happy that Epic saved these people's jobs since there are clearly some talented people in animation and programming, but I sure hope they fired the creative director and the writers. They don't deserve their jobs. They need to be Walmart greeters instead.

If you have 50 hours of your life you want to completely throw away and get absolutely nothing in return, I guess I could recommend it. But even then: play it drunk or stoned or listen to podcasts or something while you play. There sure as hell isn't anything in the game to keep your mind at all occupied.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Good to hear this, it's sitting on my list, installed, ready to play. Just a matter of getting in the mood to play it :(
Once you start you wont stop. Well, if you let yourself get through the first dungeon anyway. I still had fun in the first dungeon but it can be hard until you level up a bit or run away to heal at the village.

On a modern display at 1080p thinks are sharp but super small. Reading books or scrolls in the game can be hard and I am gaming on a 27" monitor. But I am too proud to drop the red. ;) Still, I love this game but it is almost too addictive. It is that good.

I also mapped quicksave and quickload keys as they didn't seem to exist. And don't forget to use your Ctrl key to find hidden goodies! Or don't if you like to hunt blind. Keys and items can be hidden under trash and pillows and stuff which is awesome and pretty realistic in a way. Reminds me achingly of Ultima VII.

I think that is why I love the game

So I went a bit wild with Borderlands and I think I burnt myself out again at around level 25

Think this happened last time too, just after I got to Rust Commons. I'm not sure if I dislike the game or only so much of it. Either way I preordered the second

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Someone should inform this thread when a steam-activatable game goes on sale in GamersGate.

Anyway, if I have MDK2 and the HD version comes out, will I get it for free?

Enco

I very much regretted buying Amalur. I forced myself to play it for about 10 hours though it wasn't fun much of that 10 hours even. The combat is ok. It is certainly no Devil May Cry or even Darksiders or God of War. I dont' think the combat gets a pass at being pretty standard just because it is an open world game.

As for the open part itself, if there has ever been a more generic and boring open world, I haven't seen it. Two Worlds worlds are vastly more interesting and full of color and humor and those games get a lot of flack. Amalur seems like almost the very definition of generic and majority of the quests you get are the most filler fetch quest bullshit I've ever seen. I tried four times to make myself go back and play it more since I paid $50 for it. I hate that game. In fact it is the only game I have felt this way about in years. I guess I should be happy that Epic saved these people's jobs since there are clearly some talented people in animation and programming, but I sure hope they fired the creative director and the writers. They don't deserve their jobs. They need to be Walmart greeters instead.

If you have 50 hours of your life you want to completely throw away and get absolutely nothing in return, I guess I could recommend it. But even then: play it drunk or stoned or listen to podcasts or something while you play. There sure as hell isn't anything in the game to keep your mind at all occupied.
I've only played the demo but I hated as well.

The camera controls were a joke and the world was boring. The combat was ok but nothing special. I saw fetch quests and not much else. I'm sure the full game is better but I have zero interest in trying it out now.

I've only played the demo but I hated as well.

The camera controls were a joke and the world was boring. The combat was ok but nothing special. I saw fetch quests and not much else. I'm sure the full game is better but I have zero interest in trying it out now.

agreed on the camera. using kb/m, the defaults settings are almost unplayable with the brutally high sensitivity. Had to reallly reduce this in order to get even remotely playable. Even then it's still pretty bad

What's the census on Endless Space? Been wanting a great sci-fi based game and saw the trailer for it and was blown away by seeing a galaxy and then it zoomed in to see planets and other things.

What's the census on Endless Space? Been wanting a great sci-fi based game and saw the trailer for it and was blown away by seeing a galaxy and then it zoomed in to see planets and other things.
General attitude is it is a good, albeit simple (now this is relative, it's still a 4x strategy game) and very pretty masters of orion. If you're interested in it, I'd say pick it up.

pretty decent if you have the time to devote. Lots of tutorials to go through, very detailed oriented.

Don't get it for the 'epic space battles', that was the worst part IMO. You basically pick 3 commands and hope things work out.

Aaron

These sales are just so hard for me to resist. Is this one any good? What's the word?
Very fun game of shallow space exploration and true three dimensional combat. Each session lasts only a few hours so it's great for casual play. It's also randomized so you can keep coming back to it. I wish it had a little more content, but for $2.50 it's a super deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom