• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
These sales are just so hard for me to resist. Is this one any good? What's the word?
I highly recommend...trying the Steam demo on Flotilla. I think I tried it and did not like the interface and how battles played out. It is hard for me to describe, so I will just say that if people have time, the demo should not take long to download and it can give you a feel for whether you'd be interested in playing the game at all.

kafiend

General attitude is it is a good, albeit simple (now this is relative, it's still a 4x strategy game) and very pretty masters of orion. If you're interested in it, I'd say pick it up.

You say simple, I say accessible :)

If anything its made me want to pick up other 4x games that I put down because the tutorials sent me to sleep and made me forget what they were droning on about just before I dozed off.

Any tips on getting remote install to work consistently? I've had it work sometimes but more often than not it fails. My PC is signed in and should not be sleeping.

HoosTrax

Very fun game of shallow space exploration and true three dimensional combat. Each session lasts only a few hours so it's great for casual play. It's also randomized so you can keep coming back to it. I wish it had a little more content, but for $2.50 it's a super deal.
The game looks suspiciously like Homeworld.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone have that blood DLC for shogun 2? How detailed is it? Is it relatively realistic or do people just explode when they die instead of dying like normal?

I only ask because it almost seems like a joke DLC to me but if it's realistic then that's cool.

edit: Nevermind I just noticed there's a video for it on steam. Man they even made a video for that? Love their PC/Steam support.

ShaneB

Once you start you wont stop. Well, if you let yourself get through the first dungeon anyway. I still had fun in the first dungeon but it can be hard until you level up a bit or run away to heal at the village.

On a modern display at 1080p thinks are sharp but super small. Reading books or scrolls in the game can be hard and I am gaming on a 27" monitor. But I am too proud to drop the red. ;) Still, I love this game but it is almost too addictive. It is that good.

I also mapped quicksave and quickload keys as they didn't seem to exist. And don't forget to use your Ctrl key to find hidden goodies! Or don't if you like to hunt blind. Keys and items can be hidden under trash and pillows and stuff which is awesome and pretty realistic in a way. Reminds me achingly of Ultima VII.

I think that is why I love the game

Yeah everything I've read about this game seems absolutely terrific and I know I'd love it. I did load it up and run around for a few minutes and I love the aesthetic and how clean it is. Great sprites as well, so there's no issue in the graphics department, it definitely holds up. And I'm playing it on a laptop, so I won't have any issue in regards to things being too small :p

From the little I did play it (just a quick few minutes to get in game and run around), there's no doubt I'd love it a hell of a lot as it does feel like this masterpiece of an aRPG I completely missed during it's original release.

Low population playing the game =/= indie

The game has been made and remade over like 20 years, it's anything but indie.

What are you talking about? Jeff Vogel is the only one working on the game, his wife does accounting, and he hires artists when needed on a temp basis.

What does him being in the industry for a long time have to do with his indie status? He is still a smaller operation than most other indie studios. Nor does it have anything to do with how many times game x has been remade.

I've been playing his games since I was 15 years old. (Exile 1)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Low population playing the game =/= indie

The game has been made and remade over like 20 years, it's anything but indie.

It's made by a single person without publisher backing. It's literally as indie as a game can possibly be.

Blizzard

Banned
It's made by a single person without publisher backing. It's literally as indie as a game can possibly be.
If I ever sell a game that I made myself and it gets called not indie enough, I think I'll feel like I've arrived or something. :p

It's like hipster indie. This guy's game is too mainstream!

HoosTrax

Jeff Vogel was indie before "indie" even became commonly used vocabulary among gamers. (It was called "shareware" back then)

He is literally that guy working out of his house making games.

Finally decided to play darksiders after buying on Steam sale. Kind of reminds me of god of war so far but what a terrible PC port tbh. No video options or anything plus it's always dropping frames

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah Darksiders really picks up once you get going in the first dungeon/area. The prologue stuff kind of drags.

Regardless whether you like DS or not the 2nd one looks like a pretty drastic change so if you don't like 1 then 2 still looks like it deserves a shot.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Do coupons cumulate?

As in stack? I don't think so, otherwise there would be a bunch of people getting a free copy if they had friends that didn't care. However, these do expire(August 13), so best if they are used before becoming useless.

Salsa

Regardless whether you like DS or not the 2nd one looks like a pretty drastic change

I dont know about that (and I hope not). Theyve said the structure is pretty much the same.

I expect a similar but bigger game with an improved combat system, better feedback with numbers popping up for damage, and loot.

The core of the game will probably remain the same, if you HATE Darksiders 1 there's a big chance you'll hate this one too from what ive seen so far.

then again if you HATE Darksiders then there's something wrong with you tho

blowred

Banned
I dont know about that (and I hope not). Theyve said the structure is pretty much the same.

I expect a similar but bigger game with an improved combat system, better feedback with numbers popping up for damage, and loot.

The core of the game will probably remain the same, if you HATE Darksiders 1 there's a big chance you'll hate this one too from what ive seen so far.

then again if you HATE Darksiders then there's something wrong with you tho

So its wrong to hate a bad game, sure whatever you say.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anybody else got a random coupon for buying AAAaaAAAaaAAAA! to get 50% Off the other AAAaaaAAAaaaAAA game?

Thanks, Dejoban Games, you reward me buying a shitty game by letting me buy another shitty game for 50% off!

Rapstah

AAAaaAAAaaAAAA! is all right though. If all I had for reference were their other games I'd say they're a troll developer, but AAAaaAAAaaAAAA! is too good for that.

Speevy

Banned
There seems to be a list for everything.

Is there a list of Steam games that have (more or less) plug and play controller support?

HoosTrax

Very few console-ish PC games (platforming, driving, 3rd person shooting) that came out within the past years do not have plug and play 360 controller support. The only ones that immediately come to mind are Japanese indie games and Shatter.

Napophis

Finally decided to play darksiders after buying on Steam sale. Kind of reminds me of god of war so far but what a terrible PC port tbh. No video options or anything plus it's always dropping frames

You should try turning on "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" it fixed my issues with the framerate.

You can do so by right-clicking on DarksidersPC.exe in your steamapps/common/darksiders folder. Then go to he Compatibility tab, you should see it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom