• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Tomorrow A virus named Tom will be released. It is still available for $5 with a Steam key as a pre-order.

There is an interesting discussion on /r/IndieGaming/ started by the dev of A Virus Named TOM. The game was scheduled to be released this month, but it will finally be released after the Steam sales, as happened to QUBE (scheduled for early December 2011, released mid-January 2012). He is worried about his sale volumes. One interesting point is the game will cost $10, may be released with a 25% discount, and is already at a 50% discount (DRM free for Windows, and Steam key included) for pre-orderers. I am tempted now...

A Virus Named TOM, which will be released shortly after the Steam sales, on August 1st. The game will cost $10 but pre-orderers can get it with a 50%-discount and have immediately access to the beta on Steam, plus a DRM-free release through the Humble Store.

Javaman

Lol someone tried to pull the same thing on me. They were part of the TF2 GAF group thing but weren't part of GAF. They were just there to try and hustle people into giving them items.

Deleted the person from my list.
Do you remember his name? If so I'll kick him from the gaf tf2 group.

HoosTrax

Tomorrow A virus named Tom will be released. It is still available for $5 with a Steam key as a pre-order.
Looks like a mix of Bomberman, Fortix, and Pipe Dream (the old Win95 era pack-in game). I will say that it's easy for indie game that are of the arcadey puzzler genre to get lost in the crowd these days. Back in the days of Braid, they were new and fresh -- now it's harder to make a name for yourself imho.

Firebrand

So let me guess, since I didn't jump on the old coupon GMG had, Borderlands 2 isn't going to go below or back to $40 now is it?
GMG repeat deals constantly, there's 7 weeks before the game releases so I'd be shocked if the game hasn't been 20%+ off multiple times before then.

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe a new coupon will come within' the next month and a half?

Yeah there probably will be for a game this popular. I just hope they don't get rid of their price slash because they have it for $50 right now.

The UK 4 pack is around 35 dollars plus PayPal fees.

I don't mess with paypal or any of that stuff. I've had nothing but troubles plus I don't want to work with 3 others to organize anything. It's easier to just buy it normally.

MNC

I purchased Transformers for the heck of it.

IT IS AWESOME. Good/challenging campaign, good co-op mode, in-game friends list (no silly DRMs) and FUCKING AWESOME transforming action. Seriously. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but it has a horde mode as well so you can just get a few friends together and play.

I just played 2 missions in co-op with my cousin and I love it. You usually travel in 3's (in campaign and co-op, so it's simple drop in drop out) and there's the usual banter (Especially with Starscream, lovely!) and the missions and environment are varied enough despite all in a certain style. Same goes for bosses (I have had about 1-2 bosses that were big and pretty cool, a
flying ship that had to be boarded, then broke down while we were in it
and
a huge boss fight that reminded me of the big cannon in Meta Knight's Revenge
:p )

BUY IT.

So War For Cybertron supports controllers but none of the input displays are for a controller. I've looked but I haven't found an option to set the default input to be a controller and force the UI elements to show the appropriate button prompts.

I'll just switch to kb&m.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Debating getting The Void or waiting until it's in another bundle someday. Not sure.

Debating getting The Void or waiting until it's in another bundle someday. Not sure.

Really strange game that is one of those "really interesting premise and cheap so why not" kind of games.

But don't buy it. You will play it once and never touch it again. It is a bit shit.

daxy

Binary domain for $9,99 on Get Games currently, activates on Steam and you can pay in USD as long as you provide a US address like on Amazon (you can change the currency after you put it in the basket).

I've bought games there before and are legit afaik. They partner with Eurogamer.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Just putting my two cents in regarding Transformers: WFC.

Stay away!

I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority here but oh my gosh that game is boring.
Now there are lots of things that are done well, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's garbage. But it was painful to play.

- all the characters and environments look so similar that it's hard to figure out where the enemies are at times. I'm not kidding. I would be getting shot at and have to move around until I saw my reticle turn red to find some enemies.
- ammo is scarce. You actually spend quite a bit of time backtracking or searching every corner for ammo. You have to search around for it because they don't put it out in the open for you. It's a shooter game where the only thing you do is, well, shoot and ammo is an issue.
- the guns are boring and feel weak.

I made it through the first 4 chapters of the Autobot campaign before sending it back.

Buyer beware. Kind of.

* I heard the multiplayer is awesome though. But no one was playing on the 360 when I had it.

I've played through the first Decepticon campaign as Barricade and came away impressed. You're not thrust into some brain dead tutorial, which is entirely optional and accessed through the pause menu, you just choose a faction, select a mission and go. It seems pretty faithful to the source material and the gunplay is actually pretty fun. I find myself running low on ammo, sometimes I have to switch cos one gun runs dry, but I don't find myself scampering all over the levels for ammunition. There's usually some provided before, during and after an encounter.

Miker

Steam has a tweaked Steam Subscriber Agreement: http://store.steampowered.com/news/8523/

Doesn't seem to change much unless you're in Europe (and even then, not much) or want to file a claim with them. At least, that's my understanding. I only read the news story, and didn't skim through the actual terms for changes.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Stay away!

I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority here but oh my gosh that game is boring.
Now there are lots of things that are done well, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's garbage. But it was painful to play.

- all the characters and environments look so similar that it's hard to figure out where the enemies are at times. I'm not kidding. I would be getting shot at and have to move around until I saw my reticle turn red to find some enemies.
- ammo is scarce. You actually spend quite a bit of time backtracking or searching every corner for ammo. You have to search around for it because they don't put it out in the open for you. It's a shooter game where the only thing you do is, well, shoot and ammo is an issue.

I made it through the first 4 chapters of the Autobot campaign before sending it back.

Buyer beware. Kind of.

* I heard the multiplayer is awesome though. But no one was playing on the 360 when I had it.
If you aren't playing it coop you're doing it wrong. The AI buddies are pretty bad if you play alone and you can tell that ammo-wise and otherwise the game wasn't balanced for playing by yourself, much like Left 4 Dead.

Miker

Stay away!

Buyer beware. Kind of.

From what I played, I have to agree. The desaturated environments are ridiculously grey. Shiny grey as far as the eyes could see, at least in the first few levels of the game. I hear the second campaign is supposed to be better, but the initial levels were just visually bland.

MRORANGE

not sure if thread worthy:

http://kotaku.com/5930705/now-valve-is-trying-to-stop-people-suing-them-too

Valve have announced changes to Steam's subscriber agreement that seek to prohibit users from filing lawsuits against the company.
Saying that they "considered this change very carefully", a Valve statement explains that "It's clear to us that in some situations, class actions have real benefits to customers. In far too many cases however, class actions don't provide any real benefit to users and instead impose unnecessary expense and delay, and are often designed to benefit the class action lawyers who craft and litigate these claims."

"Class actions like these do not benefit us or our communities. We think this new dispute resolution process is faster and better for you and Valve while avoiding unnecessary costs, and that it will therefore benefit the community as a whole."

On the one hand, they have a point! Many class action lawsuits are a waste of everyone's time and a pain in the ass. But what happens if something terrible happens to Steam one day, and there are actually grounds to instigate such a case? As the statement reads, in some situations, class action lawsuits do benefit customers. By removing that option, they're essentially depriving you, as a consumer, of a valid means of protecting your rights and gaining compensation should Valve one day mess something up.

In addition to the attempted block on class-action suits - remember, some American states are questioning the legality of these kind of clauses - Valve is also trying to put a stop to users launching individual lawsuits against the company, instead introducing "a new required process whereby we agree to use arbitration or small claims court to resolve the dispute."

This sucks. Why? You normally can't appeal the findings of a private arbitration hearing, nor is there an independent or public means of reviewing an arbitrator's decisions. Such hearings are also designed to be conducted privately, out of the public eye.

The move ensures that even if Valve screws something up, or something terrible happens to Steam and/or your games collection, any compensation or dispute will be handled on their terms, not those of a court and jury.

Should you actually need to resolve a dispute via such a hearing, "Valve will reimburse your costs of the arbitration for claims under a certain amount". Also, "Reimbursement by Valve is provided regardless of the arbitrator's decision, provided that the arbitrator does not determine the claim to be frivolous or the costs unreasonable."

You can read the new agreement in its entirety here. Importantly, it appears that, much like Microsoft's changes, there is no "opt-out" clause.

The new agreement is part of a Steam update that has already gone live.

Pretty terrible, but it seems to be the standard these days.

Having said that, I'd like to see one of these companies try to make it stick in Europe...

Giard

Goddammit, I tried making a backup of Civ 4 and TF2. It worked for Civ 4, but not for Team Fortress 2. I erased it from my library to test the restore function.

I'm gonna have to download it again, and because of our shitty bandwidth caps, it's gonna be in like two months. :(

These are the reasons I can never actually like Valve like many do, they may be nicer than most, but then they pull shit like this...

They're covering their asses to the max that's for sure.

Also some of that is currently in legal limbo, so we'll see in the next few years if they can even do that.

jediyoshi

These are the reasons I can never actually like Valve like many do, they may be nicer than most, but then they pull shit like this...

Weird. When everything sucks, I tend to prefer the least worst of options. Not exactly a negation of an original mindset that occurs as a result.

MRORANGE

Shit like all the rest of the gaming corporations have already pulled?

Don't get me wrong it's shitty thing they just pulled, but many others have already started the same practice, which again does not make it right for Valve to follow the herd

In the end the value Steam currently gives to me outweigh the negatives.

still, I bet very few people clicked "I disagree" today:

iuHQr.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom