• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I do well? :D

unbenanntrbkn2.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I beat a game for the first time in a long time: Dear Esther. It was okay. To be honest, I didn't really follow the story much. I understand that multiple playthroughs are required to fully understand the story, but I can't imagine playing through it again. It's kinda laborious for such a short game. It's very pretty, though, the environments are beautiful and the soundtrack sets the mood well. I would love a meatier, Myst-like game set on that same island. I think it's worth knocking out of your backlog, if anything because it's so short, but it was a unique and laid back experience.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
woo!

Conquest of the Wizardlands (expansion for Dungeons of Dredmor) should be out today, pending Valve. Encrusting. Magical ...probably not passwords. New monsters. New classes. Eating plate mail...?!
Vlad Digula in Diggle Hell
. Other junk. $2.99. You want it! I am in no way being compensated by Gaslamp for this post!

Celegus

I started playing Might and Magic Clash of Heroes again last night (played it for a good bit over that free weekend a while back, finally bought it this sale), and maaaaan I don't remember how all the stuff works. The basic stuff came back to me, but some of the more advanced techniques I can't remember. I couldn't find an in-game "refresher" either, so does anyone know a good website or should I just play thought the first hour of the game again where it teaches you?

So I beat a game for the first time in a long time: Dear Esther. It was okay. To be honest, I didn't really follow the story much. I understand that multiple playthroughs are required to fully understand the story, but I can't imagine playing through it again. It's kinda laborious for such a short game. It's very pretty, though, the environments are beautiful and the soundtrack sets the mood well. I would love a meatier, Myst-like game set on that same island. I think it's worth knocking out of your backlog, if anything because it's so short, but it was a unique and laid back experience.

Wow, every time I play I get stuck on the beach.

Dascu

Beat it yesterday, for the same reasons, and with similar impressions!

Stuck, how? Like you can't move, or do you not know where to go? There are a few dead ends but I didn't have too much trouble going in the right direction.

Not knowing where to go (dead end), and the shallow waters near the beach were basically badly masked invisible borders, if they honestly expected me to backtrack I needed a run button.

Dascu

Not knowing where to go (dead end), and the shallow waters near the beach were basically badly masked invisible borders, if they honestly expected me to backtrack I needed a run button.

Did you reach the golden ratio symbol in the sand? Go back a tiny bit from there and you'll find a slope going up.

HoosTrax

I started playing Might and Magic Clash of Heroes again last night (played it for a good bit over that free weekend a while back, finally bought it this sale), and maaaaan I don't remember how all the stuff works. The basic stuff came back to me, but some of the more advanced techniques I can't remember. I couldn't find an in-game "refresher" either, so does anyone know a good website or should I just play thought the first hour of the game again where it teaches you?
The first hour or so is a good refresher.

Wall - 3 (or more) horizontal match
Attack - 3 vertical match
Links - when you create another attack of the same color that will activate on the same turn
Fuse - when you create another attack directly behind one attack (it doesn't need to match the timing of the original attack, because the second attack gets fused into the first one and makes it stronger)
Elites - put two regular troops (or four, in the case of big Elites) of the same color behind the Elite
Combo - when you create a wall or attack by removing a unit from the battlefield (this is advantageous because it allows you to make matches without using any moves, and can actually gain you moves if you cause a chain reaction -- use and abuse this as much as you can if it makes sense to do so -- don't go doing this if there are better combos you can generate by not removing the unit)

* You can remove walls in the same way you remove troops from the battlefield
* Walls currently on the battlefield count against your troop limit - remove them if you need to field more troops
* Elites that are not activated risk being one-shot if they're hit -- pay attention to any vulnerable Elites you have if the enemy has created an attack in the same column

DSmalls84

Has anyone else been experiencing slower download speeds since the sale? I used to get 1-2 mb/s and since the sale I have been around 500 kb/s. I'm trying to figure out if it's Steam or if Comcast is throttling my speed since I went over my cap for the first time last month.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has anyone else been experiencing slower download speeds since the sale? I used to get 1-2 mb/s and since the sale I have been around 500 kb/s. I'm trying to figure out if it's Steam or if Comcast is throttling my speed since I went over my cap for the first time last month.

Experiment with different download servers (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads + Cloud -> Download region).

JaseC

The way the Steam clock works with the game list means that could be 2 hours and 59 minutes. I have 3 hours played so I think it's closer to 3 than 2.

Yeah, I know, but even three hours seems on the short side. Even the modern CoD campaign is longer than that. ;)

Nabs

They temporarily dropped the cap, so I doubt it's that. I recommend switching to a Comcast server if you're close enough (DC has one and Seattle has another). I'm on Comcast and get crazy speeds on Steam.

DSmalls84

They temporarily dropped the cap, so I doubt it's that. I recommend switching to a Comcast server if you're close enough (DC has one and Seattle has another). I'm on Comcast and get crazy speeds on Steam.

I ran a speed test yesterday that identified my server as Jacksonville and my download speed as 7-8 mb/s. That's only about 2 hours from where I live. The only other change I have made, is that I moved my pc upstairs and used a Linksys Wireless N extender to boost my signal from 2-3 bars to 5. Even after moving the pc initially without the extender I still got 800 kb/s though.

Edit: My default Steam server is ATL. Jacksonville is where my Internet connection comes from.

gdt

I'm slightly more interested in replaying Dear Esther now that I've read up on some of the stuff I've missed. Apparently there are
shadowy figures that watch you from afar. Check it out: http://i.imgur.com/7sMqb.jpg
. Creepy.

During my playthrough, I think I saw one, and definitely caught another.

Blew my mind when afterwards I went to check out what was going on.

Celegus

The first hour or so is a good refresher.

Wall - 3 (or more) horizontal match
Attack - 3 vertical match
Links - when you create another attack of the same color that will activate on the same turn
Fuse - when you create another attack directly behind one attack (it doesn't need to match the timing of the original attack, because the second attack gets fused into the first one and makes it stronger)
Elites - put two regular troops (or four, in the case of big Elites) of the same color behind the Elite
Combo - when you create a wall or attack by removing a unit from the battlefield (this is advantageous because it allows you to make matches without using any moves, and can actually gain you moves if you cause a chain reaction -- use and abuse this as much as you can if it makes sense to do so -- don't go doing this if there are better combos you can generate by not removing the unit)

* You can remove walls in the same way you remove troops from the battlefield
* Walls currently on the battlefield count against your troop limit - remove them if you need to field more troops
* Elites that are not activated risk being one-shot if they're hit -- pay attention to any vulnerable Elites you have if the enemy has created an attack in the same column

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

JaseC

I managed to stumble upon this while searching for my GAF post describing how much I enjoyed Fable: TLC:

o9gNq.jpg

*cue X-Files theme*

(I still haven't found the post I'm after.)

ShaneB

woo!

Conquest of the Wizardlands (expansion for Dungeons of Dredmor) should be out today, pending Valve. Encrusting. Magical ...probably not passwords. New monsters. New classes. Eating plate mail...?!
Vlad Digula in Diggle Hell
. Other junk. $2.99. You want it! I am in no way being compensated by Gaslamp for this post!

I don't play the game a whole lot, but I am excited as hell for this. For no other reason other than I know the patch notes will be hilarious.

The game is that short?

Yes. It is. I started yesterday at 14:00, played till about 15:30. Then played half an hour again and finished it.

I got it gifted during the summersale as part of a bad game giveaway from The Grim Heaper, so kudos to him. Thanks~

It really wasnt THAT bad...
But far from being mediocre.

ust a heads up, eXceed Collection is finally releasing on Steam tomorrow! Other games from Nyu Media to follow.

https://twitter.com/nyumedia/status/230666674037215232

Great. What are the other games from Nyu-Media?

Baha

Yes. It is. I started yesterday at 14:00, played till about 15:30. Then played half an hour again and finished it.

I got it gifted during the summersale as part of a bad game giveaway from The Grim Heaper, so kudos to him. Thanks~

It really wasnt THAT bad...
But far from being mediocre.

Great. What are the other games from Nyu-Media?

Cherry Tree High School Comedy Club is the only other one I know of.

Greenmangaming is fixing payment issues and will re-issue the 20% discount once everything is cleared up. Come on X-com and Dishonored pre-orders.

GreenManGaming Blog said:
We have seen that a substantial number of users have been affected by the error message “Order Not Complete,” and that a large number of those were being falsely rejected by the system that we use. We had put measures in place to prevent an increase in fraudulent use that we had seen, but this seems to have caught a large number of perfectly innocent customers who just want to take advantage of our great offers. This has been raised up the chain and discussed by a number of our top-level management team as this is clearly not good enough and not what you should expect from GMG. We would like to offer our collective apologies to everyone who had been affected, as we understand the level of frustration this has caused for a number of you.

We would also like to apologise for the slow reaction in addressing this issue – due to the nature of the problem we had to take the necessary time to examine individual transactions and develop a plan to address this.

We are now actively going through individual payment issues and we will keep you informed with the latest updates as soon as they happen.

For our friends in the US, we have also experienced a different issue. Due to our name, ‘Green Man Gaming’ we have had some banks reject payment as they think we are a gambling site (WTF). We are in direct conversation with these banks but please continue to report this to us as it helps identify those banks who still are confused about our business purpose.

Because these payment issues affected many users to such an extent that they could not take up any of the 20% offers, rest assured that once we reach a resolution there will be another code created and sent out publicly in a follow-up post, available to all users on a multiple-use basis.

- James, Community Manager

- Darren, Marketing Director

Anyone have any ideas why when I show all my games by time played, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is the first one listed even though it only has 0.9 hours played?

HoosTrax

Anyone have any ideas why when I show all my games by time played, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is the first one listed even though it only has 0.9 hours played?
Is it in the middle of downloading an update?

Or maybe you should just come out and admit that you don't play your games at all, and EYE is in fact your most played game, at 0.9 hours.

HoosTrax

I wish Steam would report download sizes correctly...

I started up my DA:O download this morning and it told me something like 24 GB to download. I'm looking at it right now from remote view, and it's saying 44% done out of 13.5 GB. Wat.

It takes a long time to recklessly slip a typo in somewhere.
Should we expect all of the title screens to use the XSEED logo instead?

Is it in the middle of downloading an update?

Or maybe you should just come out and admit that you don't play your games at all, and EYE is in fact your most played game, at 0.9 hours.

You've found out my horrible secret!

Just restarted steam and it seems to be fixed, game's not even installed so couldn't have been an update.

Reposting from the last page, can anyone clarify if this will work:
So I've got a steam folder on my laptop with 600GB worth of archived downloads of my games library and I'd like to add them to my Desktop's original steam folder without overwriting the Steam settings in my Desktop?

Do i just copy over the common folder, or should I go game by game, 1 by 1.
Id like to consolodate my game from my laptop steam install with my desktop steam install. The installs are for the same account just from different PCs with different games installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom