• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

It sucks when you buy a smaller game and a week or 2 later the community is dead.

I wish Steam had a feature that would show when people are playing games (not just friends). I can imagine opening my games library and seeing games with those little notification icons like on IOS devices. I would be all, "Oh, look, some people are playing Sky Drift and Awesomenauts!", and then be compelled to launch and play them too.

It could really help bolster the community for smaller online focused games.

I wish Steam had a feature that would show when people are playing games (not just friends). I can imagine opening my games library and seeing games with those little notification icons like on IOS devices. I would be all, "Oh, look, some people are playing Sky Drift and Awesomenauts!", and then be compelled to launch and play them too.

It may not be in real time, but you can at least see how many people have been playing the top 100 games over a 24 hour period. just click on the graph on the store page that shows community activity.

^ Sounds like a fantastic idea.

It should work, although you'll need to own the games in your Steam account to play them.

Yeah the two steam installs are from the same Steam account and all the games were bought and DLed legit.

Now I'm wondering how I can change the directory that steam goes to for games. maybe somehow change my steam install directory? Or should I just use Symlinks.(Symbolic Links)

Crub

Awesomenauts 3-pack, £4.66 each:

1. Doopliss [host, unless you're US based and wish to, which would make it slightly cheaper]
2. BioHazard
3. ___________ (this could be you!)

Aw, sad I missed this. :(

If any other UK person want to host a 3-pack, I'm in.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah the two steam installs are from the same Steam account and all the games were bought and DLed legit.

Now I'm wondering how I can change the directory that steam goes to for games. maybe somehow change my steam install directory? Or should I just use Symlinks.(Symbolic Links)

It's not possible to have games install outside of the steamapps folder. Symbolically linking the two steamapps folders is one option, but, as mentioned, you could just copy/paste the contents of one steamapps folder into the other. The client won't recognise the new games initially, but when you install them, the existing data should be verified rather than re-downloaded.

For the Awesomenauts PC players:

Our mini platform fighter ROFLNauts (which we made for the Awesomenauts console release party) is hidden in the PC version. See if you can unlock it ;)

Video of the party version from a couple months ago:
[EDIT]

Sorry guys, had to take the video down until people find the game :p

you wouldn't happen to have pics of the TF2 items, would you?

btw, people love the Sniper mustache. In the TF2 community we're already excited for the loveable Australian to finally be a real man.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Okay, so when I clicked the quote button you seemed to have cancelled the deal. If you're still doing the deal (??) I can PayPal you money from Europe. Not sure if US -> EU gifting is allowed now or what the deal is.

You're in, just add and message me on Steam, or if you can't do that PM me on here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thank you Nokterian! Now for the real question... when do I have time to play all of these games?! T_T

SP7im.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This now everything else later?
Heading to bed pretty much in a minute... and tomorrow I have zero minutes to spare :_:

HoosTrax

Has it been discussed that Iron Brigade beta showed up in the registry a few days ago?

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/15719
The beta thing is new, but Iron Brigade first showed up in the cdr on April 12th, 2012. (The reason I know the date so specifically is that I remember trying to tease some details about it out of the Double Fine rep who hangs out on SPUF.)

Thank you Nokterian! Now for the real question... when do I have time to play all of these games?! T_T

SP7im.jpg
He's a pusher and this is a gateway drug to Dota 2. He's leading you down the road to wrack and ruin. Just warning you now.

The beta thing is new, but Iron Brigade first showed up in the cdr on April 12th, 2012. (The reason I know the date so specifically is that I remember trying to tease some details about it out of the Double Fine rep who hangs out on SPUF.)

Yeah, I knew it had been in the registry but I just found out about the beta thing. Maybe it means it's coming soon? As far as I know they have nothing planned this year so a Fall release would make sense, since Stacking came out on PC this past Spring.

Rapstah

Had a very smooth trade of Awesomenauts from Xelios (well, smooth on his part, I was paranoid as fuck because I'm paranoid as fuck).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Awesomenauts 3 pack was a success, thanks to Rapstah and Katoki for the quick payments.

Goody

Does shoot em ups in the likes Ikaruga or R-Type exists on Steam? , if yes can you recommend me some good ones?

I can't speak highly enough about Satazius , if you want something more along the lines of R-Type and Gradius. Horizontal, power-ups. I'm sure there's some kind of exact terminology used by the shmup community, but I certainly don't know it. It's amazing, anyways. And it's cheap.

Then there's the Gundemonium Collection. These are more bullet-hell. Definitely a little more frustrating, at least for the likes of me, but they have an immense amount of charm that kept me interested.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, I wish indie devs would quit with that style of "sprite" work, but it seems they wouldn't. :(

It feels like the "sprite" of the character/objects etc. don't blend well to the environment. It feels more like cutouts rather than being part of the setting.

ShaneB

I can't speak highly enough about Satazius , if you want something more along the lines of R-Type and Gradius. Horizontal, power-ups. I'm sure there's some kind of exact terminology used by the shmup community, but I certainly don't know it. It's amazing, anyways. And it's cheap.

Then there's the Gundemonium Collection. These are more bullet-hell. Definitely a little more frustrating, at least for the likes of me, but they have an immense amount of charm that kept me interested.

Jamestown as well would be a popular suggestion.

Derrick01

Banned
All this talk about how bad Steam's offline mode is yet it worked perfectly for me today. I came home early this morning and found out my internet was out (it just now came back) but I was able to play New Vegas all day. Guess I'm lucky.

zkylon

zkylewd
All this talk about how bad Steam's offline mode is yet it worked perfectly for me today. I came home early this morning and found out my internet was out (it just now came back) but I was able to play New Vegas all day. Guess I'm lucky.
When it works it's great, but sometimes it'll refuse to work for no apparent reason and you're stuck without your games. It's just too random for it to be any good...

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah but this was the first time in a long time that I turned my PC on with no internet, I turn everything off when I leave the house. I just clicked go to offline mode and it worked with no problems.
Yeah, I think it's worked for me too. It just doesn't work for some people, unfortunately, or if you're unlucky and Steam thinks it needs to update I think some people don't even get the go-to-offline-mode option. They need to fix it so it works for everyone, unlike the last 5-6 times they tried to fix it. :p

Blizzard

Banned
YoYo Games was added to the registry. So this most likely means that GameMaker development tools will be coming to Steam.
Neat. I wonder if they will have some sort of Steam workshop plugin for people to share freeware games. GameMaker games come as .exe files though, so I would be scared to try a random stranger's .exe.

Do Skyrim mods on the workshop ever come with special .exe or .dll files that someone could use for trojans or something? Or is the workshop restricted to script/resource file mods?

Brutus

Neo Member
I'm hosting an Aweomenauts 3-pack. Quote this post if you're interested.

Awesomenauts 3-pack
$6.66 per copy

1. Brutus

When it works it's great, but sometimes it'll refuse to work for no apparent reason and you're stuck without your games. It's just too random for it to be any good...

It's not that random. I've done extensive testing of Steam's offline mode and, with the exception of a Steam update breaking offline mode temporarily, I've only found one case where the client fails to initialise offline mode: When the client hasn't been terminated properly.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not that random. I've done extensive testing of Steam's offline mode and, with the exception of a Steam update breaking offline mode temporarily, I've only found one case where the client fails to initialise offline mode: When the client hasn't been terminated properly.
I was out of internet this weekend and I'm positive I had exited Steam the way I usually do (right click>exit on the tray icons) and it still wouldn't work for me on offline mode. My bet is that they rolled out an update and I lost my internet (I wasn't home) while it was downloading it, so it got stuck on limbo or something like that. In any case, whenever you open up Steam in offline mode, you can never be sure if it'll work, which makes it pretty shitty in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom