• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
The skill ceiling for Awesomenauts is higher than DOTA and other traditional MOBAs simply due to the fact it has the platforming element to it. I was just in a 45minute match (they don't normally go for that long), and it was me and this other guy just duking it out, the rest of our own teams where bad. I have 19kill 3 deaths, soon as i died they push and won.

I never get the same rush from a traditional dota game as i do with Awesomenauts. You know what the best part was? I wasn't even mad. It's not rage inducing like DOTA. It's skill based, again due to the platforming aspect. It's real easy to carry you're team because you're actual skill comes into play over farming.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They've added 10 new achievements to Skyrim, I previously had 100% with 50/50 but now I'm at 83% with 50/60. Steam doesn't list any new achievements...so Dawnguard's getting released soon?

The X360 exclusivity period ended a few days ago or so, IIRC.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Thanks, now I gotta buy it.

Anyone down for a 4pack?

edit: nvm, read the above posts. fuuuuuuuuuuu back on the fence

If you are planning on playing it now. Get it. There is no reason not too.

Its largely for people on the fence though with backlogs.

Katoki

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I've had Skyrim installed and untouched for nearly six months since I beat it about as thoroughly as one can beat an Elderscrolls game. I have been eagerly awaiting this day.

Don't know how you guys do it. I love Skyrim to hell and back but I can never actually get myself to progress. All my hours are of mods and running around randomly.

Then again, this is after totaling some 200+ hours on it on the PS3 doing whatever I was doing there.

bigace33

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I've had Skyrim installed and untouched for nearly six months since I beat it about as thoroughly as one can beat an Elderscrolls game. I have been eagerly awaiting this day.

lol JJ you are one of the few Gaffers who actually play and beat games. I've seen you chime in this thread on several occasions that you've beat a game like this week. I envy your resolve dude, I play way too many games to actually complete them these days. 8^p

The skill ceiling for Awesomenauts is higher than DOTA and other traditional MOBAs simply due to the fact it has the platforming element to it. I was just in a 45minute match (they don't normally go for that long), and it was me and this other guy just duking it out, the rest of our own teams where bad. I have 19kill 3 deaths, soon as i died they push and won.

I never get the same rush from a traditional dota game as i do with Awesomenauts. You know what the best part was? I wasn't even mad. It's not rage inducing like DOTA. It's skill based, again due to the platforming aspect. It's real easy to carry you're team because you're actual skill comes into play over farming.

I really doubt platforming alone makes it have a higher skill ceiling than dota.

I'm just sick of having a backlog, I've bought all of these games over the years during sales, barely touched a few and, worse, haven't played most. All I've done is play Team Fortress 2 or Civ V instead. I've decided to take a break from those games and try to put a dent, dunno how big, in the backlog.

Skyrim's ten new achievements (thanks for the heads up):
Werewolf Mastered
Vampire Mastered
A New You
Auriel's Bow
Legend
Beyond Death
Awakening
Kindred Judgement
Lost to the Ages
Soul Tear

The moment Dawnguard comes out, I am dropping everything to play that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm working towards 75/75 achievements for Fallout: New Vegas. I am only 5 away and it feels pretty good. It shall look quite nice with my perfect achievement sets for Just Cause 2 and Saint's Row: The Third.

Finished Darkness II earlier today. Really fun game. Might jump back in and see how many of the achievements I can knock off.

Having been a former Gamerscore/Trophy junkie, I'm starting to realize that the way Steam handles achievements is actually quite nice. It seems less about amassing a huge amount of points and more about getting the most out of each game. Nice changed of pace and much easier to ignore if you don't really enjoy the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finished Darkness II earlier today. Really fun game. Might jump back in and see how many of the achievements I can knock off.

Having been a former Gamerscore/Trophy junkie, I'm starting to realize that the way Steam handles achievements is actually quite nice. It seems less about amassing a huge amount of points and more about getting the most out of each game. Nice changed of pace and much easier to ignore if you don't really enjoy the game.

I really liked getting all the Darkness II achievements. Nothing really aggravating, but it got me to replay the game a second time and try out all of the side stuff.

I dig Steam achievements for exactly why you listed. I like how easy it is to turn my interest in them on or off.

HoosTrax

I would assume that there will be an announcement about it made either tomorrow or Friday since Pete Hines said he would comment about it at some point this week. At least the presence of those achievements should allay the concerns people had that the announcement would be that Dawnguard is cancelled for PS3 and PC.

I am sure this has been answered, but i got a new computer yesterday, installed steam, krater and chrome. Played krater yesterday and today then steam froze. I reopen steam but it freezes now everytime it says connecting to account. I deleted clientregistry.blob and now its been stuck at updating steam 0% for 20 minutes. Is there anyway I can reinstall steam without having to reinstall krater?

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm working towards 75/75 achievements for Fallout: New Vegas. I am only 5 away and it feels pretty good. It shall look quite nice with my perfect achievement sets for Just Cause 2 and Saint's Row: The Third.
Aw, I wish I could get all the cheevos for SR3 but getting people to coop is hard...

HoosTrax

So I was randomly browsing the NeoGAF t-shirt store...I'm kind of disappointed that almost none of it is very PC-centric, or even "platform agnostic". Just sayin' (hint hint artists)

(ok, I see a Minecraft one, but I don't play MC)

Dingotech

Man I reeeeally should go back and finish off Skyrim.

I restarted the game twice so found I burnt myself out by going over the same content multiple times. Not to mention that a lot of the dungeons/caves etc really started to look and play the same to me.

Man I reeeeally should go back and finish off Skyrim.

I restarted the game twice so found I burnt myself out by going over the same content multiple times. Not to mention that a lot of the dungeons/caves etc really started to look and play the same to me.

Finishing the game just means you are going over the same content around 15 to 16 more times. I'll save you the trouble, you have already seen it all.

Dingotech

Finishing the game just means you are going over the same content around 15 to 16 more times. I'll save you the trouble, you have already seen it all.

I don't doubt you at all!
Hence my comment that it was all starting to feel the same.

It really needed more variety in everything, from locations, to enemies, to gear you can find, etc.

Joe Molotov

I wonder if Dawnguard will be part of the TF2 Quakecon promo items.

Mmmmm Sniper crossbow.

There was some kind of TF2 Quakecon promo thing added to the Steam registry someone mentioned a few pages back. It makes sense, we got the Skyrim promo items (plus Quake 4 and Rage items) during the last Quakecon.

Koroviev

I was checking why there are so few Mac versions on Steam, but they can be bought somewhere else instead.

It's pretty sad, actually.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Steam won't sell Mac and PC versions separately (?)

So I was randomly browsing the NeoGAF t-shirt store...I'm kind of disappointed that almost none of it is very PC-centric, or even "platform agnostic". Just sayin' (hint hint artists)

(ok, I see a Minecraft one, but I don't play MC)

Why do you hate yourself?

Blizzard

Banned
I was checking why there are so few Mac versions on Steam, but they can be bought somewhere else instead.

I imagine Valve may change that policy at some point, but I actually really like it. I think it's amazingly pro-consumer that you get the Mac version of say, a Civ game when you buy the Windows version. I seem to recall people half-expecting them to charge again for each new Mac port. I understand ports cost money, but I like the approach of trying to help pay for it off of normal game sales. *shrug*

Speevy

Banned
Adding the contest to this thread so I can get some more entries.

Free Steam game $9.99 or less to the best answer to this question.

Aside from the fun that comes from mowing down the enemy, we often have trouble connecting with our favorite video game heroes. This is my task to you.

Name a character from any game to which you can easily relate. Post a picture for reference.

1) What is it about their personality, ideas, values, opinions, or motivations that are similar to your own?
2) Name a time when that character did, said, or thought something with which you strongly agree. Describe this occurrence in as much detail as possible.
3) What trait do you wish this character shared with other video game characters? Why do you feel this way?

Nothing fancy. A five+ sentence paragraph should cover it.

Winner at 1:00 AM EST.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I just don't buy indie multiplayer games anymore, they all end up being ghost towns sooner than I'd like.
I hear this sentiment a lot, and it's a little worrying. It's common to hear complaints about how the only multiplayer games coming out are dull shooters, but when an indie dev releases something different people advocate not buying it just because it's from an indie. That contributes to the problem.

Romino did a great job on the Awesomenauts port and I think they deserve a chance.

Game Guru

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Steam won't sell Mac and PC versions separately (?)

I own GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas on Steam and I own not only the PC Versions, but the Mac ports from TransGaming, Inc. as well. The Mac versions even have their own separate launchers. Valve is at least willing to cut deals and fudge some of the rules to get Mac versions of games available.

haikira

Oh. Dawnguard cheevos spotted on steam?

G5XTJ.gif

Trancos

As a mac gamer I prefer the Valve approach of selling all the OS versions together, than what Aspyr and Feral are trying to pull in the mac app store charging insanely high prices for games that are almost a decade old (I mean $20 for call of duty 1? Really? ONE!, $32 for call of duty 2, and so on)

Adding the contest to this thread so I can get some more entries.

Free Steam game $9.99 or less to the best answer to this question.

Aside from the fun that comes from mowing down the enemy, we often have trouble connecting with our favorite video game heroes. This is my task to you.

Name a character from any game to which you can easily relate. Post a picture for reference.

1) What is it about their personality, ideas, values, opinions, or motivations that are similar to your own?
2) Name a time when that character did, said, or thought something with which you strongly agree. Describe this occurrence in as much detail as possible.
3) What trait do you wish this character shared with other video game characters? Why do you feel this way?

Nothing fancy. A five+ sentence paragraph should cover it.

Winner at 1:00 AM EST.

I didn't quit school to join GAF to go back to school... this time I'll have the essay in on time, I promise Mr. Speevy!

Preston Marlowe from the Bad Company games is a character to which I can easily relate. He's thrust into another assignment for messing up something in his previous one, which we never find out about on top of the fact that his squad is the perfect combination of personalities to breed hilarity in a theatre of war, yet he seems like the only 'normal' person in the dude-broish story of the game. His motivations are what I find similar to his own, he started out with a noble cause, just wanting to get over his past mistakes and work his way back up again in a new squad, to chasing after mercenary gold because his money-hungry squad takes him along for the ride. I strongly agree with Preston's decision to pursue the mercenary gold. When he encounters the first proof of hidden mercenary gold he says: "Honour. Faith. Land. Oil. Wars are fought for any number of reasons. But... on the battlefield, every soldier has to find his own. As things turn out, me and my buddies found a pretty interesting one." This was the moment his motivations changed. Preston was "Sir. Yes, Sir." kind of soldier, very by the book and in an instant his motivations changed, human predilection took over of him and started him down a path he would not be able to turn back from, it felt like his character was human and a part of him had been born where the rest of him had died. I wish he shared the confused and irate mind of Captain Martin Walker from Spec. Ops. The Line, someone who went into war thinking himself a hero but left realizing that such a thing doesn't exist. I think it would do Preston some good if he would just let go of his moral constraints a little bit more than he did in the storyline, and see where his character could take him.

AlexBasch

I had no idea that the zombie virus turned regular people into fucking MMA fighters in Dead Island.

Also it seems people only played this during the sales but not anymore.

Speevy

Banned
That's a great entry, Cuban Legend. I did take it into consideration.

The winner of the contest is Yo Yo Switch.

Thank you all for your entries.

That's a great entry, Cuban Legend. I did take it into consideration.

The winner of the contest is Yo Yo Switch.

Thank you all for your entries.

can we see the winning entry? im intrigued. and I meant if you thought anything in particular about my piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom