• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
can we see the winning entry? im intrigued. and I meant if you thought anything in particular about my piece.

Winning entry:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40535356&postcount=2965

I think your entry showed an understanding of the deep and complex characters that can inhabit a war zone. I liked how you outlined the motivations of this character, and told how he fits into the overall story. Your entry was lacking details about yourself, but I can see why you liked this character.

This won't be the last contest I do. Stay tuned!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Have any of you played Swords and Sworcery on Steam? I'm thinking about getting the Indie Bundle IV for it and Sanctum.
I have Swords and Sworcery on iOS but haven't played much of it cause my hands cramp up when I hold my device in landscape (messed up wrists) so I was hoping to play it somewhere else.

Get it? Yes or no?

And how is Sanctum? I have heard some good things about it. But I haven't spent much time checking it out yet.

Have any of you played Swords and Sworcery on Steam? I'm thinking about getting the Indie Bundle IV for it and Sanctum.
I have Swords and Sworcery on iOS but haven't played much of it cause my hands cramp up when I hold my device in landscape (messed up wrists) so I was hoping to play it somewhere else.

Get it? Yes or no?

I have it on Steam but haven't actually played that version yet. I've only played through the iOS version a few times and love it. It has trial-and-error gameplay and it's not always clear on what to do or where to go. It's a short and fun adventure game with a terrific soundtrack. I say get it. It was one of my favorite games from last year.

I really enjoyed the twelve or so hours I spent playing Sanctum. I bought it during a Steam sale a year or two back and the 2.50$ I spent on Sanctum was easily the best purchase out of the lot. I liked it so much I gifted it to a bunch of friends just so I would be certain to have a few people to play with.

It's a really fun mash-up of an fps and tower defence. You don't just build your maze/deathtrap and watch it go, you actively participate in the defence phase. It's a lot of fun, I keep meaning to get back to it to try the new maps I bought.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

I finished it on Steam and thought it was... interesting. Really short game, awesome soundtrack and has a dark, mysterious feel to it (broken regularly by goofy slang and/or twitter crap). I wasn't crazy about the movement controls and the dialogue often felt out of place, but other than that it was a good experience. It has a unique mechanic that helps it seem like there's more to the game than there really is, but once you understand it the puzzles are super simple. It's worth a try but only because Sanctum is in there with it, and pretty much all my friends love(d) Sanctum.

Rapstah

Thanks.
Should I subscribe to it?Do I have a choice?

Switch Steam to a language you don't speak in offline mode, accept the agreement in this language, switch back.

shyamalan4.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
There is a minigame within the Awesomenauts folder called ROFLnauts. It's an 8bit version of the game with up to 4 players. It's a Smash Brothers clone.

0cMr1.png

Under

Steam\steamapps\common\Awesomenauts\Data\Rofl

Rapstah

I'm really enjoying Awesomenauts' aesthetics. The soundtrack and voice acting is great together with the nineties superhero kids' show theme they're going for. I've also managed to avoid being MOBA raged at so far, although the worm you can team kill people with on that one map has caused some uncomfortable accidents.

iNvid02

hitman sniper challenge wont launch for me, anyone on gaf had luck making it run?

edit: its error code 41, steam servers too busy. wtf

edit2: fuck this shit, time to find a crack

Detox

There is a minigame within the Awesomenauts folder called ROFLnauts. It's an 8bit version of the game with up to 4 players. It's a Smash Brothers clone.

0cMr1.png

Under

SteamsteamappscommonAwesomenautsDataRofl
Does it have online multiplayer or is it just local?

I dont have any clue about the law in america (talking about the new Steam subscription agreement), but in Germany such clause it illicit. Companies cant forbid the client to sue them, even if you "accept" it. This is totally against the principles of German law.

But I really would like to know if such clauses are legal in America? Can companies just write something like that and it becomes "law"? I know that America uses case law instead of codified law, so maybe its a bit hard to judge it.
But anyone with some knowledge about it, could clear it up for me please.

Game Guru

I dont have any clue about the law in america (talking about the new Steam subscription agreement), but in Germany such clause it illicit. Companies cant forbid the client to sue them, even if you "accept" it. This is totally against the principles of German law.

But I really would like to know if such clauses are legal in America? Can companies just write something like that and it becomes "law"? I know that America uses case law instead of codified law, so maybe its a bit hard to judge it.
But anyone with some knowledge about it, could clear it up for me please.

Well, Germany has what we call "civil law," which is where the core principles for the law are codified into a referable system which serves as the primary source of the law. The United States as well as most other former British colonies follow "common law," where the interpretation of the law is decided on because of court decisions from lawsuits. Because of a court case where our Supreme Court ruled that EULAs could have clauses banning class action lawsuits, it has become the law of the land.

But yeah, it's essentially the difference between case law, which the U.S. has, and codified law, which Germany has. The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled on the subject in favor of allowing the restriction.

Gamersgate Summer Sale watch: Deus Ex Human Revolution £4.99, $7.49, €7.49, registers on Steam.

Also bunch of discounts on non-Steam registerable games here, such as six quid ($10.00, £5.98, €6.23) for both Bioshocks in a bundle and four quid ($5.99, £3.89, €4.49) for Recettear, but that's your headliner for Steam fans.

[Edit] Missed this one: Warlock: Master of the Arcane $4.99, £3.74, €4.99, activates on Steam.
Also: Dark Messiah Might & Magic $3.38, £2.02, €3.38, also registers on Steam.

Gamersgate Summer Sale watch: Deus Ex Human Revolution £4.99, $7.49, €7.49, registers on Steam.

Also bunch of discounts on non-Steam registerable games here, such as six quid ($10.00, £5.98, €6.23) for both Bioshocks in a bundle and four quid ($5.99, £3.89, €4.49) for Recettear, but that's your headliner for Steam fans.

[Edit] Missed this one: Warlock: Master of the Arcane $4.99, £3.74, €4.99, activates on Steam.
Get Deus Ex Human Revolution people. It's a steal for that price.

ShaneB

Aw, I missed Speevy's contest. I would've wrote a paragraph about Luigi. Ah well. Props to you Speevy for the creative contests you do :)

DSmalls84

Has anyone else been experiencing slower download speeds since the sale? I used to get 1-2 mb/s and since the sale I have been around 500 kb/s. I'm trying to figure out if it's Steam or if Comcast is throttling my speed since I went over my cap for the first time last month.

So I was working on trying to solve my download issues last night and read some pages suggesting I change my security setup from WEP to WPA-2. I changed my password and security type and amazingly no more dropped connections and I'm getting 1 mb/s solid instead of 500 k max. Looks like someone was stealing ma internetz.

Does anyone think it's likely they will have a quake con sale today like they have in past years?

absolutely.

We already know TF2 Quakecon promo items are coming. Last year they were directly related to a sale.

Pre-orders for Doom 3 BFG Edition and Dishonored will probably go up like last year for Rage and Skyrim.

ironcreed

Banned
Not a big PC gamer, as I don't own a gaming rig that can run anything current. But I can run some older games fine and am at some point going to pick some stuff up here and there on the dormant account that I have. If anything, just for a change of pace.

My Steam Noob wishlist:

Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague
Half-Life 2 (Played it on Xbox and on the 360, but want to play it again on PC)
KotOR (don't have an Xbox anymore and it runs like shit on the 360. Been too long since I had a good playthrough)
Morrowind (Xbox version is fine, but always wanted to play the PC version)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (Been dying to play this for years)
ArmA: Cold War Assault
ArmA: Combat Operations (looks like crap on normal, but at least my Laptop can actually run it there based on the demo)

Giard

Not a big PC gamer, as I don't own a gaming rig that can run anything current. But I can run some older games fine and am at some point going to pick some stuff up here and there on the dormant account that I have. If anything, just for a change of pace.

My Steam Noob wishlist:

KotOR (don't have an Xbox anymore and it runs like shit on the 360. Been too long since I had a good playthrough)
ArmA: Combat Operations (looks like crap on normal, but at least my Laptop can actually run it there based on the demo)
You should've been there during the summer sale :p

Yaska

Seems that the new Death rally from Remedy comes tomorrow. So far seems fun game ( participants of Finnish Assembly '12 got the game early).

ShaneB

My Steam Noob wishlist:

I strongly suggest you check out some of the indie bundles that are on sale for another hour or so, and yes, you should've been around for the summer sale! :p

ironcreed

Banned
You should've been there during the summer sale :p

LOL, probably should have been there a long time ago. I have been wanting to get into PC gaming more, but I just grew up on consoles and am always gaming there. But I plan to rectify that a bit, and maybe get a decent rig in the future to play more current releases with as well. Meanwhile, I'll just try to make time to play what I can here and there.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, Germany has what we call "civil law," which is where the core principles for the law are codified into a referable system which serves as the primary source of the law. The United States as well as most other former British colonies follow "common law," where the interpretation of the law is decided on because of court decisions from lawsuits. Because of a court case where our Supreme Court ruled that EULAs could have clauses banning class action lawsuits, it has become the law of the land.

But yeah, it's essentially the difference between case law, which the U.S. has, and codified law, which Germany has. The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled on the subject in favor of allowing the restriction.
I liked Notch's response to that. "You can CHOOSE which lawsuits you allow? Ok then, mojang doesn't allow any lawsuits at all any more."

Nabs

I am sure this has been answered, but i got a new computer yesterday, installed steam, krater and chrome. Played krater yesterday and today then steam froze. I reopen steam but it freezes now everytime it says connecting to account. I deleted clientregistry.blob and now its been stuck at updating steam 0% for 20 minutes. Is there anyway I can reinstall steam without having to reinstall krater?

Nope, I got it from alienware (laptop) and it appears it has mcafee installed.

Anyone have any ideas for him? Someone else here had the same exact problem with his laptop.

Wok

Anyone have any ideas for him? Someone else here had the same exact problem with his laptop.

How big is Krater? You could back-up the following folder:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

I would not try to reinstall Steam though. It seems more like a connection problem. Do you have a firewall blocking Steam?

DoTP 2013 is updating. New decks I'm betting. How do you see the size of the patch?
Nvm. Searching on Steam forums list it as 822 MB patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom