• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

I want Dark Souls pretty badly but not enough to suffer GFWL, but that statement is so cliche at this point, still.

I will suffer for you bro. I will suffer.

Sold my PS3 version, kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of highly apprehensive and nervous about the port haha.

I will suffer for you bro. I will suffer.

Sold my PS3 version, kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of highly apprehensive and nervous about the port haha.

I haven't even played it yet, only Demon's Souls, let me know how it turns out :(.

gdt

I haven't even played it yet, only Demon Souls, let me know how it turns out :(.

Oh wow.

Let me say that Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time, maybe the favorite, and you should get the PC version if, at worst, its on par with the console versions.

Im so stoked to dive back in, plus the new content.

The full registry name is SUSE Dev Comp, so it's most likely referring to the team behind the distro. I don't remember a piece of software having the Dev Comp part in the registry. It's mainly for the companies behind the software.

Make more sense than suggesting the Steam was about to start distributing operating systems.

Does buying the game from GMG give you a free copy of Sniper Challenge, and is Absolution Steam-activable?

Yes to Steamworks, and I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't get Sniper Challenge.

Does buying the game from GMG give you a free copy of Sniper Challenge, and is Absolution Steam-activable?

Activates on Steam. As for the Sniper Challenge, people on the GMG forums haven't received the demo, there's some confusion about what package it came with and even if they are going to get it.

Game Guru

I use the GIMP in Windows; that's nothing super unusual. What's weird is how a distribution would even work, unless they let you start a Linux installation from Windows (partitioning etc.), or unless they let you run a virtual machine. Plus I thought Valve was starting with Ubuntu, so it's kind of odd all around and I kind of wondered if there's a game called SUSE as well.

A little off-topic, but how is GIMP nowadays? I've used it a few times before, but never really focused on it particularly.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm interested in most of the bigger titles coming to steam this season. ACIII, Darksiders, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Torchlight II, and Dark Souls. But Dishonored is really the only must play. If there is a good sale on GMG, like 30ish. I think I'll budge. Rest are largely, wait and see if it is even worth buying. Then a Steam sale down the line for a few bucks. Heh.

Good news though. RAGE being knocked down to 20$ is a good thing. 75% off Christmas Sale.

gdt

Quick question:

Does anyone know if Indie Game: The Movie spoils Braid? I've managed to avoid spoilers for that game, and I finnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnallly intend to (re)start it/finish it soonish.

Blizzard

Banned
A little off-topic, but how is GIMP nowadays? I've used it a few times before, but never really focused on it particularly.
I think it's reasonable if you're not a student and don't have Photoshop. There should be a gimpshop version if you don't like the default UI, and there's also Paint.net (free, not open source) if you want an alternative image editor...and there's Inkscape if you want to mess with a vector editor.

Derrick01

Banned
Went ahead and pre-purchased Dishonored, $60.....but at least it's something different. So far I have got.

Dark Souls August 24: Check
Borderlands 2, Sept. 18: Check
Torchlight 2, Sept...:Check
Dishonored Oct. 8:Check
X-Com Enemy Unknown Oct.9: Pre-purchase soon....
Assassin Creed 3: Maybe

Think I'm set for the year.

I'll buy Dishonored at full price if I have to but I'm sure GMG will have it on sale. They have a 20% coupon coming but I don't think they have the game on their store yet.

Winning entry:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40535356&postcount=2965

I think your entry showed an understanding of the deep and complex characters that can inhabit a war zone. I liked how you outlined the motivations of this character, and told how he fits into the overall story. Your entry was lacking details about yourself, but I can see why you liked this character.

This won't be the last contest I do. Stay tuned!

cool thanks, yeah I knew I forgot something, got so tied up in talking about my fav game characters and how i'd like to Frankenstein them into one, lol.

I look forward to more of your shenanigans.

I'll buy Dishonored at full price if I have to but I'm sure GMG will have it on sale. They have a 20% coupon coming but I don't think they have the game on their store yet.

I wish Dishonored wasn't priced so high, I think the $10 premium on PC will turn away more gamers than whatever extra revenue they will bring in by having it. Hopefully more people will try out this game and spread the word if it embodies all the things the developers have talked about.

Dingotech

So I've got an "Unlocked" Steam account which means I can purchase games from the US Store despite being based in Aus.

Apparently Steam has added the below clause to the terms you accept -

3. BILLING, PAYMENT AND OTHER SUBSCRIPTIONS
A. Payment Authorization.

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account."

I don't currently use any IP Proxying when buying from the US store, I just hit purchase and it all works. I've been doing this for over two years now.

Do you think the above clause should be enough for me to stop what I'm doing? It's such a pain having to find people to gift games to you when they're cheaper... :(

wutwutwut

Quick question:

Does anyone know if Indie Game: The Movie spoils Braid? I've managed to avoid spoilers for that game, and I finnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnallly intend to (re)start it/finish it soonish.
I don't recall any spoilers at all in the movie.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish Dishonored wasn't priced so high, I think the $10 premium on PC will turn away more gamers than whatever extra revenue they will bring in by having it. Hopefully more people will try out this game and spread the word if it embodies all the thing the developers have talked about.

That's Zenimax's fault. Hopefully the PC crowd will embrace it like they did with Deus Ex HR, it's a game with even more PC background and features than that had and the actual PC port is having a lot of work put into it. Steam crowd tends to support those games. I'm hoping for once people don't disappoint me.

wutwutwut

So I've got an "Unlocked" Steam account which means I can purchase games from the US Store despite being based in Aus.

Apparently Steam has added the below clause to the terms you accept -

I don't currently use any IP Proxying when buying from the US store, I just hit purchase and it all works. I've been doing this for over two years now.

Do you think the above clause should be enough for me to stop what I'm doing? It's such a pain having to find people to gift games to you when they're cheaper... :(
Do you use a credit card with its billing address in the US? Do you go to http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us directly from your browser without going through a US proxy? If so, there shouldn't be a problem.

xJavonta

Banned
Quick question:

It doesn't. It barely talks about it. It just mentions
the idea the game was spawned from and shows a free first created concept for the game

I started it after watching the movie and it didn't spoil a thing.

Dingotech

Do you use a credit card with its billing address in the US? Do you go to http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us directly from your browser without going through a US proxy? If so, there shouldn't be a problem.

No I use a credit card with an Australian Billing address, always have. But I do change the Billing country to "US" in the checkout. (That's the worst bit I suppose...)

I do buy direct from the ?cc=us website in my browser without a proxy.

MRORANGE

It's been a while. New set of tie-in TF2 items announced with every Steam Sleeping Dogs pre-order. Also available to buy from the Mann Co Store, if you really want them. Yes, that looks like a flamethrower for the Heavy.

BOOM.

FUCK YES.

ibihThXWaAIASV.gif

Sentenza

Looks like Dishonored is already doing quite well, for an October release.
I just checked the top sellers and it's already sixth on the sale chart.

I must admit I wasn't expecting this. I guessed it was going to be the typical "widely ignored underdog".

Looks like Dishonored is already doing quite well, for an October release.
I just checked the top sellers and it's already sixth on the sale chart.

I must admit I wasn't expecting this. I guessed it was going to be the typical "widely ignored underdog".

It's being heavily promoted by Bethesda, and the entire internet seems to have a hard-on for it. Dishonoured is no underdog.

How has everyone's experiences been with pre purchasing games from sites such as green man gaming etc? I have a fear of pre purchasing the game and the site not receiving codes at the correct time.

Megasoum

Banned
How has everyone's experiences been with pre purchasing games from sites such as green man gaming etc? I have a fear of pre purchasing the game and the site not receiving codes at the correct time.

I never had any problems with GMG. You get the keys a couple of days before the game comes out and you can redeem in your steam like a retail game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

If your worst fear is the game being unlocked on Steam at midnight and not getting the code from somewhere else until, like, 6 or 7am, then yeah, avoid. Personal experience: Sonic Generations bought through GMG.

However, if they offer up a preload, then you should get the key well before the release day.

Thanks guys. I have missed the 20% off Hitman pre-order twice now due to this fear but I think I will just bite the bullet and do it if the code comes up again.

MRORANGE

They offer the best deals most of the time, and in most cases you can get your keys a day before, although in some cases you may have to wait.

They excel very well, except in getting refunds on pre-orders like I had with Deus Ex: HR.

Giard

I pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 from there. They didn't have enough keys, but they sent me one 4 days later and everything was OK. I could redeem it without any problems on GW2's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom