• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back up both the save file and your Xlive folder. Xlive is a hidden folder, so you'll need to enable "view all files and folders".

*For reference, on Windows 7/8 the path is C:/Users/[Your User Name]/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/Xlive.

use gamesave manager

Sugarsync is a lot better in my opinion.

Game Save Manager is ugly and messy as hell.

Thanks. Will Game Save Manager also back up the Xlive folder? I'll keep Sugarsync in mind in case, for some reason, I don't like GSM.

If you have a bounty in Riften, the Dawnguard will simply attack you with no explanation as to why. If you go pay off your bounty, then they won't attack you on sight.

Completed the main content in Dawnguard, took me about seven hours. There's still a bunch of miscellaneous activities to complete but I don't feel much drive to do them. There's one questline that I haven't stumbled across, I can chase down the two other words to a shout, use a weapon, fight a specific dragon, change my appearance and grind through the Werewolf and Vampire skill trees. At least becoming a vampire lord looks like it's still available though through a follower I now have.

All in all I would have to say Dawnguard was pretty disappointing. I waited nearly six months for that, I had completed Skyrim about as thoroughly as one could and Dawnguard really didn't add enough, not to justify its price. If you're intent on buying it, I'd say 5-10$. I'll try to hammer through the rest of what Dawnguard added but I don't expect it will drastically change my opinion.

Derrick01

Banned
If you have a bounty in Riften, the Dawnguard will simply attack you with no explanation as to why. If you go pay off your bounty, then they won't attack you on sight.

Completed the main content in Dawnguard, took me about seven hours. There's still a bunch of miscellaneous activities to complete but I don't feel much drive to do them. There's one questline that I haven't stumbled across, I can chase down the two other words to a shout, use a weapon, fight a specific dragon, change my appearance and grind through the Werewolf and Vampire skill trees. At least becoming a vampire lord looks like it's still available though through a follower I now have.

All in all I would have to say Dawnguard was pretty disappointing. I waited nearly six months for that, I had completed Skyrim about as thoroughly as one could and Dawnguard really didn't add enough, not to justify its price. If you're intent on buying it, I'd say 5-10$. I'll try to hammer through the rest of what Dawnguard added but I don't expect it will drastically change my opinion.

Your disappoint fits what I was reading from the xbox crowd in the dawnguard thread. There's just not enough there to justify a $20 price.

I started Bioshock 2 but...
... no controllersupport. Somehow it really wasnt fun at all. Tried playing it with Mouse+keyboard, but somehow it doesnt feel "right". I would rather play on my TV from my bed, not sit there in front of my PC.

Dont get me wrong. I like playing SC2 and Diablo 3 on PC, but somehow with Bioshock 2 the whole atmosphere was gone, when I played it on my TFT instead of my TV.

Anyone has a joy2key profile for it?

ShaneB

Isn't Bioshock 2 GFWL? Hell, I just finished Bioshock 1 and it had controller support built right in. I would've assumed Bioshock 2 would be no different, even moreso with the fact that it's a gfwl game.

I really wouldn't mind preordering Dishonored on Steam but the incentives are terrible...not sure why they didn't get a unique set of items like many other places.

Ledsen

... no controllersupport. Somehow it really wasnt fun at all. Tried playing it with Mouse+keyboard, but somehow it doesnt feel "right". I would rather play on my TV from my bed, not sit there in front of my PC.

Dont get me wrong. I like playing SC2 and Diablo 3 on PC, but somehow with Bioshock 2 the whole atmosphere was gone, when I played it on my TFT instead of my TV.

So play it with m+kb from your bed :)

wazoo

use xpadder with

http://cutkeanu.skyrock.com/2790410944-Bioshock-2-CutKeanu-360.html

KingKong

just beat Splinter Cell Conviction

fun game, but I don't think I like the different design philosophy from the previous Splinter Cell games. it's just not as satisfying when all you have to do is clear rooms one at a time and it doesn't affect the rest of the level at all

bigace33

I don't know man, 7 hours of new content is longer than a majority of full retail games. Plus you said you still haven't finished everything. I guess it would be nice if it was cheaper, but it sounds like enough content to justify $20 or so dollars.

schnell

My first attempted delivery in Rig N Roll just ended with me ditching my trailer full of tomatoes on the highway as I panicked at the first sound of police sirens. Ended up running for five minutes until I rear-ended a minivan and hit a bridge. Only had to pay a $599 fine for 'infringing upon another vehicle while changing lanes.'

StuBurns

Banned
Why is Doom 3 BFG seemingly half price on PC? I imagine it'll be redeemable on Steam? I wonder if this QuakeCon sale will have a preorder deal.

Derrick01

Banned
I really wouldn't mind preordering Dishonored on Steam but the incentives are terrible...not sure why they didn't get a unique set of items like many other places.

Agreed but at least it's a Steamworks game. All they need to do to boost actual steam sales is just tack some crummy TF2 items on like Sleeping Dogs did and it'll shoot to the top.

I don't know man, 7 hours of new content is longer than a majority of full retail games. Plus you said you still haven't finished everything. I guess it would be nice if it was cheaper, but it sounds like enough content to justify $20 or so dollars.

Majority? Not even close. Besides you don't compare hours of a FPS to hours in a game like Skyrim. 7 hours is nothing in that game and if all you're doing is the same crap as the main game like looking for shouts and going through the samey dungeons with bad loot then it's not nearly worth $20. For $20 I want something on par with Ballad of Gay Tony, or meatier than The Missing Link or Lair of the Shadow Broker. Not something that's on par with Bethesda's $10 DLC from Fallout 3.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Seriously want to pre-order Sleeping Dogs, but SE not revealing the system requirements is suspicious.
I'd be more worried about AMD compatibility issues in Sleeping Dogs than system requirements with your setup. AMD is putting their name all over this game though, so fingers crossed.

Your disappoint fits what I was reading from the xbox crowd in the dawnguard thread. There's just not enough there to justify a $20 price.

Honestly Dawnguard kind of feels like they're charging you for something someone made with the Skyrim Creation Kit and uploaded on to the Steam Workshop.

The problem is none of the content feels new. At least with Shivering Isles you went to a brand new location with a completely different look and feel, with Dawnguard the vast majority of the content is just re-used assets from Skyrim. You'll go through caves and dungeons that look like every other cave and dungeon you explored. You'll constantly trudge or fast travel to and from areas you've already been to. There's very little in the way of unique areas (the two faction headquarters and the
Soul Cairn
, I guess, are the most unique areas out of what was introduced) and you don't get a whole lot of unique rewards either. I got a crossbow, which I shelved immediately since my character is geared towards one-armed melee combat. I haven't taken on vampirism yet since I'm trying to work my way through the werewolf perks since I was already one. I got a spectral horse that I can summon, problem is it costs a lot of magic, requires me to constantly equip the spell, Shadowmere is always right there and I am lazy.

The Werewolf perks would make the Companion quest something you'd want to complete right away in a new game and it would make the werewolf form worth using throughout a lot of the game. It would make leveling up easier too because you'd have a lot more enemies to face and thus have more hearts to consume. It wouldn't be a grind to level the form up, it would just be something you'd do as you play. I became a werewolf and never really used the power beyond the Companion questline, this makes the power worth having and using.

gdt

I think I don't get Binding of Isaac. How can I save loot for the next playthrough? It sucks starting over and over with my shitty tear drops that go nowhere. Any tips or something? I just not having much fun, though the music and art is great.

Volcynika

I think I don't get Binding of Isaac. How can I save loot for the next playthrough? It sucks starting over and over with my shitty tear drops that go nowhere. Any tips or something? I just not having much fun, though the music and art is great.

That's the point of the game. Once you die, you restart with nothing.

gdt

That's the point of the game. Once you die, you restart with nothing.

I thought some stuff carried over? Guess I was wrong.

Sidenote:

How am I supposed to tackle the campaigns in Transformers:WFC? The whole Decepticons one and then the Autobots? Or jump between each while and the story meets at the end?

gdt

When you unlock new items from accomplishing certain things, they start to appear, but you don't start out with them or anything. Maybe that's what you were thinking?

Yeah, I kind of thought that when you unlock certain things, you can use them like perks or something when starting over. Hate that, so this goes back into the backlog, until a later date.

Next up: Braid!

I played some of this awhile ago, but I'm gonna start over with the PC version. I remember it being really fucking hard. Also, something I was confused about at the time. Can I solve each puzzle as I get to it, or are there some puzzles I have to return to with a new ability?

Derrick01

Banned
Bought the gun runner pack for New Vegas so I can get the last 3 achievements.....the whole game is downloading again. That is unless there's 9gb of content in this DLC which I highly doubt.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just wanted to throw in a quick note about todays daily deal: Hack, Slash, Loot
hacksl2a.png

Its a simplified roguelike, and why others like exactly that, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone because the simplification makes the game seem random instead of more tactical. You have no inventory and can only use items on the spot, for example. Meet an enemy you cant beat with your equip and you are done for. I started the first floor several times, and never managed to get quite far due to unfair random enemy placement which you cannot "outsmart". No traps you can use, potions to drink in critical situations, scrolls for different situations etc..

I also highly recommend checking out the demo if you are interested in the game, because the game comes with several "scenarios", which is actually a pretty cool idea for a roguelike, and the demo lets you play a complete scenario. Best way to test it.

However, I'd know a dozen roguelikes that are better, many free. I dont recommend buying it if you ever played another roguelike, and even as a beginner it may put you off of the genre instead of easing you into it. Although I somehow like the graphics, there are way better games in the genre.

HoosTrax

^ So what you're basically saying is that as soon as you walk over an item like a potion, it's immediately used?

That's...pretty restrictive. Oh well, there's always Dungeons of Dredmor and Binding of Isaac. The graphics are kind of cute in a Realm of the Mad God way.

I played some of this awhile ago, but I'm gonna start over with the PC version. I remember it being really fucking hard. Also, something I was confused about at the time. Can I solve each puzzle as I get to it, or are there some puzzles I have to return to with a new ability?

There's one puzzle where you need a puzzle piece from a room that's after the one that requires it. Like, one or two rooms after. If I'm remembering right that's the only time anything like that happens. I hope I'm remembering right because I just played through it again a couple of weeks ago, lol.

As for Hack, Slash, Loot: I really like the pixel art so I play it occasionally just to admire that.

I hope it comes soon. Isn't it in closed Beta right now?

Now i have yet another F2P shooter that i will have to play regularly (the others being Tribes & Blacklight). D:

They were running some tests at specific times.

It's quite fun.

edit: oh hey, they're on now, actually.

What a shame about Iron Brigade, I was looking forward to that one.

Helmholtz

Yeah, I kind of thought that when you unlock certain things, you can use them like perks or something when starting over. Hate that, so this goes back into the backlog, until a later date.

For the most part, with the exception of (I think) one puzzle in the first chapter, you can absolutely solve each puzzle as you run into it. You can also do them in whatever order you like. However, to get to the end of the game you have to complete all those jigsaw puzzles in the overworld, which means solving all the puzzles to collect pieces. And it's absolutely worth seeing the end game.
Braid is hard, but not in a 'cheap' way. The solutions almost always make sense, yet they're really hard to come up with. That's why I really enjoyed the game. It doesn't hold your hand, and it sometimes takes a while to figure out how to solve the puzzles, but when you finally do it's really rewarding.

Gvaz

Banned
You select your game save locations and it backs it up automatically. You can then sync across computers or re download them again. Just like GSM but in a nicer package.

Yea the auto scan is nice but it's easy to find the save locations with a quick google search and you wont have to put up with the shitty UI in GSM.

TOO MUCH EFFORT

(Couldn't find another thread for this purpose in particular, please feel free to direct me if I'm mistaken.)

Logged into Steam after being off it for a few weeks and noticed I had a 50% coupon for AaaaaAAaaaAAAa!!! for the Awesome, but the thing is I already own it from a previous sale a while back.

If anyone wants it, feel free to send me a PM so we can friend each other and so I can trade it to you.

Managed to resist picking up Titan Quest despite having it on my wish list. Too many games in the backlog. Hope to complete a few and then see it on sale again later in the year.

Aselith

Anyone know if Square region locks PC games on Steam? I really, really want their deluxe edition for Hitman but I'm worried about the CD key not activating on my account.

Anyone interested in doing a 4pack of Political Machine 2012?

How much per person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom