• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It is disappointing though, to see a lackluster DLC to be a top seller. I miss Combined operations being on top.

HoosTrax

It is disappointing though, to see a lackluster DLC to be a top seller. I miss Combined operations being on top.
Shouldn't really be surprising -- there's nothing really good to buy :s (edit: with as big of an audience that is), and ARMA II's market has to be getting saturated at some point.

I want to pick up some Codemasters games, hope for a franchise sale tomorrow when GRID 2 gets officially announced.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey there's still plenty I'm looking forward to playing for the rest of this year and next year, all big budget games too (probably?). It's just the dumbed down ultra casual stuff like Skyrim that I hate.

Is it dumberer than Oblivion?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry, I'm planning on picking up the Arma bundle when it goes on sale. Not gonna play DayZ, so I'll probably have to wait a whole year or more.

Game Guru

So, is anyone going to answer my question on what the difference between the Steam & GOG versions of Fallout are... other than DRM vs. No DRM?

I feel like the ARMA studio is cashing in on Day Z. I bought it just to play DayZ and will probably never play ARMA. I am sure there are thousands of other people like me who purchased just for Day Z. It probably wouldn't make the top 10 otherwise.

xJavonta

Banned
I feel like the ARMA studio is cashing in on Day Z. I bought it just to play DayZ and will probably never play ARMA. I am sure there are thousands of other people like me who purchased just for Day Z. It probably wouldn't make the top 10 otherwise.

It wouldn't. Arma was never super popular until Day Z got popular. It had a small hardcore audience but nothing large enough to warrant the sales it has now.

Game Guru

DRM is a big deal, essential mods like high resolution mods don't work on the Steam version.

That's it? Maybe it's just the console gamer in me, but I've never much cared for mods. So long as the game works as is, I usually don't mess with it. Modding is a perfectly valid reason to eschew one version for another, though.

DRM is a big deal, essential mods like high resolution mods don't work on the Steam version.

This is not true at all for the high resolution patches. You just have to go through a few hoops to get them to work. I played both Fallouts at 1920x1080. I am not sure about other mods however.

Edit: Game Guru, you will definitely want the high res mod. Otherwise, the game will look all fucked up color wise as it cannot display correctly.

xJavonta

Banned
Alright just finished Driver SF. Help me pick my next game:

Bastion
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Binary Domain
Darksiders

Bastion. Excellent game, does get a bit repetitive towards the end though.

I've only played Ys: THe Oarh in Felghana for a few hours on my PSP but it seems alright.

Binary Domain I haven't really played. Played the demo and didn't really enjoy it.

I'm going to start Darksiders today.

Verdict: start with Bastion since its the shortest

Card Boy

Banned
Dawnguard- #1 in sales since it came out

Dishonored- Barely in the top 20.

Why do people have such shit taste? The master race is supposed to be better than this!

Have you played and beat Dishonered have you? If anything Dishonered has one of the worst artstyles i have ever seen, you're the one with shit taste. Game is IP blocked in many countries aswell, Australia being one.

Alright just finished Driver SF. Help me pick my next game:

Bastion
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Binary Domain
Darksiders

I found it slightly funny that you listed them by length from shortest to longest. I say Binary Domain because I loved that game. The others are all good too. You cannot really go wrong no matter what you pick.

xJavonta

Banned
Have you played and beat Dishonered have you? If anything Dishonered has one of the worst artstyles i have ever seen, you're the one with shit taste.
While I don't agree with his statement, I think Dishonored's art style is fantastic and looks great. It's super stylized, which is a good change of pace from the realism push we've been seeing a lot lately.

Game Guru

This is not true at all for the high resolution patches. You just have to go through a few hoops to get them to work. I played both Fallouts at 1920x1080. I am not sure about other mods however.

Edit: Game Guru, you will definitely want the high res mod. Otherwise, the game will look all fucked up color wise as it cannot display correctly.

Uh... My version of Fallout 1, which is the GOG version to be fair, displays correctly. Hell, the only times I get funkalicous colors, it because I went from fullscreen to windowed on DOSBox.

Uh... My version of Fallout 1, which is the GOG version to be fair, displays correctly. Hell, the only times I get funkalicous colors, it because I went from fullscreen to windowed on DOSBox.

I assumed you wanted to know the difference between the GOG version and the Steam version because you were thinking of getting the Steam version, which does feature this problem.

FtHTiny

Have you played and beat Dishonered have you? If anything Dishonered has one of the worst artstyles i have ever seen, you're the one with shit taste. Game is IP blocked in many countries aswell, Australia being one.

Dishonered also had this really wierd trailer where he basically backstabs/stabs for like a minute and i thought wth is the point of that trailer. Will definatly wait on that game.

Game Guru

I assumed you wanted to know the difference between the GOG version and the Steam version because you were thinking of getting the Steam version, which does feature this problem.

Ah, I was just curious since I was considering Fallout 2 and Tactics which might've been worth the price the entire collection was selling for. So does this mean the Steam versions use DOSBox whereas GOG uses the Windows version? Avoiding a crappy version of DOSBox I can understand.

camerooni

Neo Member

Why do people have such shit taste? The master race is supposed to be better than this!

Because only American's who can buy it? And the American market has been dictating the games industry for far too long?

(But in this case they may actually be right about Dishonoured - great team behind it, great potential, but it feels like they're trying to sell it to frat boi's and can't even get that right)

Atruvius

Is anyone else having problems with Steam? It mostly won't let me log on and when I do I it will not let me make a transaction.

Steam is down for me.

"Error Code: -118

Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet."

MNC

Sleeping dogs OT is up, if you get it on Steam before the release date you get the Triad Bundle for TF2 which costs $19.99/£15.99 - of course you can craft them or get them at drops.

Just a few posts and I'm already a bit hyped for Sleeping Dogs. Thanks GAF. It's not gonna be a day-1 title though, I haven't done that in a while + backlog lolol.

camerooni

Neo Member
Just a few posts and I'm already a bit hyped for Sleeping Dogs. Thanks GAF. It's not gonna be a day-1 title though, I haven't done that in a while + backlog lolol.

Plus after the list of DLC in the official thread - yeah.. I think I'll wait for the 'complete edition'..

Having trouble with the wired xbox360 controller on PC: it randomly makes the switch tabs back to windwos...

I feel it something with the triggers... Anything I could do ?

Silex

Could someone tell me what's the worth of a Dota 2 invite right now?
It's been a while since I had a friend who needed an invite... and now I need one.

DOA

The Haunted Hells Reach is on sale at gamersgate for $4.99 and activates on Steam with achievements. The 4 pack is $14.96.

Youtube

Neogaf Thread

Homefront is $6.78 and activates on Steam as well.

The Thief Collection is $6.74, includes all 3. Thief Gold and Thief 2 can be activated on Steam.

Magika Collection is $7.49 and can be activated on Steam.

EDF is $9.98 and can be activated on Steam.

stop doing that. i've already bought Sleeping Dogs and Dark Souls with the coupons from before. my wallet is still empty from Steam's summer sale. and now you flash those deals in front of my eyes? not fair at all :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hey there's still plenty I'm looking forward to playing for the rest of this year and next year, all big budget games too (probably?). It's just the dumbed down ultra casual stuff like Skyrim that I hate.

I feel so lucky in that I can enjoy all manner of games, both indie and big company, irregardless of their budgets or fanbase or even units sold, simply on the basis of whether or not I find it a fun game to play.

I love Skyrim. I love Plants vs. Zombies. I love Frozen Synapse, and Stone Soup, and Spelunky, and Indenture, while at the same time enjoying the DiRT series and Railworks and Call of Duty and Minecraft and Diablo III.

I feel so sorry for people like you Derrick, people who can't simply enjoy good games and appreciate the positive in any game instead of focusing on the negatives of all of them.

Dishonored still isn't up for pre-order in the UK nor Australia, and I wouldn't be too surprised if it's AWOL in other countries too.

Derrick01

Banned

:lol you're going to say I have shit taste when you knock a unique game just because of its art style? That's beyond stupid.

I feel so lucky in that I can enjoy all manner of games, both indie and big company, irregardless of their budgets or fanbase or even units sold, simply on the basis of whether or not I find it a fun game to play.

I love Skyrim. I love Plants vs. Zombies. I love Frozen Synapse, and Stone Soup, and Spelunky, and Indenture, while at the same time enjoying the DiRT series and Railworks and Call of Duty and Minecraft and Diablo III.

I feel so sorry for people like you Derrick, people who can't simply enjoy good games and appreciate the positive in any game instead of focusing on the negatives of all of them.

You don't have to feel sorry for me. My life isn't lacking at all just because I hate indie games and casual stuff like Skyrim.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
:lol you're going to say I have shit taste when you knock a unique game just because of its art style? That's beyond stupid.

You don't have to feel sorry for me. My life isn't lacking at all just because I hate indie games and casual stuff like Skyrim.

I don't feel sorry for you because your life is lacking, I feel sorry because you can't appreciate certain things that a lot of other people can. Skyrim isn't perfect by any means, but it's a fun game for what it does do well. It has many merits, and that is why Dawnguard is such a big seller right now. You might think it's casual crap, but it's not, you are just missing out on what makes it good.

I mean, it's okay to hate a game simply because you don't like the style of game or the art direction or story. There are plenty of popular games that I don't like, but I can still appreciate what is good about them and why other people like them even if I don't. And I don't run around talking negative shit about those games trying to bring everyone else's enjoyment down as well.

You just seem to think that anyone who likes Skyrim (and other games you don't like) are idiots who don't know what good is. Maybe your opinion is just different? Maybe it's you who isn't understanding what is going on?

Derrick01

Banned
I don't feel sorry for you because your life is lacking, I feel sorry because you can't appreciate certain things that a lot of other people can. Skyrim isn't perfect by any means, but it's a fun game for what it does do well. It has many merits, and that is why Dawnguard is such a big seller right now. You might think it's casual crap, but it's not, you are just missing out on what makes it good.

There is nothing good about Skyrim. I've been a fan of the franchise for years and I know what makes it good. Skyrim fails in every category. It's the direct result of massive casualization and consolization. I haven't been able to play it again even with mods yet because all of the problems still exist. I'm waiting for the huge mod collections to come out that fix all of its problems and make it a playable game.

Sysgen

4 people wasting their money on a game with a dead community is worse than 1 person. I probably came off too abrasive, but I think I'd be a little annoyed if I were considering getting in on the 4-pack without the prior experience I've had with that game, and no one warned me about the sort of defunct state of the game.

I'll try to put it in less offensive terms next time :p

That's OK, we all hit a menstrual bump once in a while. I still maintain that The Haunted Hells Reach youtube vid is worth 4 or 5 dollars. Bloody, gory, zombie mutilation, frustratingly hard as I've read. It's PERFECT! :)

There is nothing good about Skyrim. I've been a fan of the franchise for years and I know what makes it good. Skyrim fails in every category. It's the direct result of massive casualization and consolization. I haven't been able to play it again even with mods yet because all of the problems still exist. I'm waiting for the huge mod collections to come out that fix all of its problems and make it a playable game.

It's a shame that millions of people - myself included - enjoy such an objectively terrible game, wasting hundreds of hours exploring its asinine landscape trying desperately to dredge up some fun.

I personally have uninstalled the game as a result of your valiant efforts to showing me and countless others just how Skyrim has tricked us, defrauded us with what is known colloquially as "fool's fun". A lot of my friends are still lost in its lies - even so long after launch it has them in the grip of its mendacity. I will save them. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom