• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
It's a shame that millions of people - myself included - enjoy such an objectively terrible game, wasting hundreds of hours exploring its asinine landscape trying desperately to dredge up some fun.

I personally have uninstalled the game as a result of your valiant efforts to showing me and countless others just how Skyrim has tricked us, defrauded us with what is known colloquially as "fool's fun". A lot of my friends are still lost in its lies - even so long after launch it has them in the grip of its mendacity. I will save them. Thank you.

You're welcome. I can check off my good deed for today already.

Fireblend

Banned
There is nothing good about Skyrim. I've been a fan of the franchise for years and I know what makes it good. Skyrim fails in every category. It's the direct result of massive casualization and consolization. I haven't been able to play it again even with mods yet because all of the problems still exist. I'm waiting for the huge mod collections to come out that fix all of its problems and make it a playable game.

Oh well, I enjoy it. Unlike Oblivion, which bored me to death and I ended up abandoning a couple of hours in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is nothing good about Skyrim. I've been a fan of the franchise for years and I know what makes it good. Skyrim fails in every category. It's the direct result of massive casualization and consolization. I haven't been able to play it again even with mods yet because all of the problems still exist. I'm waiting for the huge mod collections to come out that fix all of its problems and make it a playable game.

I agree with you. But some people like things like that.

HoosTrax

Other than the annoying user interface, I don't see what's casualized/consolized in Skyrim, compared to older games in the TES franchise. Examples?

Is the real issue that it's become too mainstream, and now people want to feel superior about it by hating on a popular game?

Derrick01

Banned
Other than the annoying user interface, I don't see what's casualized/consolized in Skyrim, compared to older games in the TES franchise. Examples?

Is the real issue that it's become too mainstream, and now people want to feel superior about it by hating on a popular game?

That's only the issue for people who want to dismiss criticism. Haters gonna hate after all right?

I'm not going into a lot of detail because I have plenty of times before and it's a tired argument. They stripped a lot of RPG elements away and kept the awful things about Oblivion like loot scaling, if not making them worse. Then they adopted MMO quest design where there are no memorable or unique quests and everything is some streamlined go here, kill that quest with no variety. The most memorable and creative dark brotherhood quest is killing someone with a statue, which you did in your 2nd or 3rd DB quest in Oblivion. That is weak.

Sarcasm

What got to me about Skyrim was that majority of the quests were just meh. Felt like an MMO.

The early part of the game is great and I had a blast unlocking the dragons but I couldn't level past 53ish since it became a chore.

Alright just finished Driver SF. Help me pick my next game:

Bastion
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Binary Domain
Darksiders

Ys is a far better game than Bastion but it is almost unfair to comparison because it is done by a bigger studio who has honed their craft and Bastion was done by like four people and it was their first game together. Still, Ys is superior in literally every category except maybe narrative and they are the same type of game. Better music, better art work, better level design and enemy design. More variety in skills amd weapons. Better upgrade system etc. Its not een close. Of you are picking between them, play Ys first.

But Darksiders is definitely my personal facorite on that list. Its Zelda with a cool new asthetic and a non-crap battle system. the first hour or. So may make you think it is a God of War style game but just wait. It couldnt be more Zelda if it tried. But it updates a lot of Zelda's mexhanics. I cant believe that ten years later Zelda is still using the choppy "lock on to auto-aim camera" nonsense." Ugh. its the 21st century. We have fluid dual analog controls now. Darksiders meanwhile knows what decade it was made in. And th combat has actual combos, linking moves, launchers etc.

Alright just finished Driver SF. Help me pick my next game:

Bastion
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Binary Domain
Darksiders

Bastion. I know peoples love them some Ys but for the love of everything good the characters never shut up. 423 lines of dialogue between each scene with such classic lines as...

"Hello!"

and that amazing, emotional

"..."

I know there's a great game under all that nonsensical and unnecessary lines of dialogue one has to click through to play the next part of the game but I just couldn't do it. I know, my loss, and I'm probably a bad person. But A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A okay play a bit and then DIALOGUE A-A-A-A-A-A-A aahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Shut up, everyone in Ys world!

But Bastion, Bastion has a good story, beautiful music and atmosphere, really should be played.

Darksiders bored me to tears (bad person, I know), and Binary Domain is in the backlog.

HoosTrax

CS:S in the number #16 spot...going to be some royally mad people who bought that in the past day.

And isn't "Franchise & Complete Pack" kind of redundant?

Lolerzors

I'm trying to buy cs go right now but I dont see the paypal option anymore and all i see is like webmoney or whatever... why? I live in Canada, but i'm on my university's internet connection... is that the reason?

MRORANGE

I'm trying to buy cs go right now but I dont see the paypal option anymore and all i see is like webmoney or whatever... why? I live in Canada, but i'm on my university's internet connection... is that the reason?

They removed PayPal for some reason, should be back soon apparently.

HoosTrax

68287405.png

If you don't have a credit card, someone can buy it for you with theirs and you can pay them back with Paypal.

MRORANGE

What no TF2 items for CS:GO???

They could have put the awp as a pre-bonus item for TF2, would have become the best selling game for the next month.

Detox

Could someone tell me what's the worth of a Dota 2 invite right now?
It's been a while since I had a friend who needed an invite... and now I need one.
It's about 3 keys from the DOTA store you should find people willing to trade at the reddit dota trade subforum.

MRORANGE

Speaking of CS:GO someone should really make a OT about it and explain why it does not have aim down sites and regen. Really terrible that valve cannot get up to modern gaming standards.

HoosTrax

Speaking of CS:GO someone should really make a OT about it and explain why it does not have aim down sites and regen. Really terrible that valve cannot get up to modern gaming standards.
Like GAF hasn't incited enough rage for the day. I'm bad to maintaining trolls like that -- I volunteer Derrick to do it since no one call tell when he's being serious or not.

haikira

I don't think it's a case of can't. It's that they won't.

There's already plenty of games with Regen and Iron Sight. I enjoy having Halo, Tribes, TF2 and CS to break things up.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't feel sorry for you because your life is lacking, I feel sorry because you can't appreciate certain things that a lot of other people can. Skyrim isn't perfect by any means, but it's a fun game for what it does do well. It has many merits, and that is why Dawnguard is such a big seller right now. You might think it's casual crap, but it's not, you are just missing out on what makes it good.

I mean, it's okay to hate a game simply because you don't like the style of game or the art direction or story. There are plenty of popular games that I don't like, but I can still appreciate what is good about them and why other people like them even if I don't. And I don't run around talking negative shit about those games trying to bring everyone else's enjoyment down as well.

You just seem to think that anyone who likes Skyrim (and other games you don't like) are idiots who don't know what good is. Maybe your opinion is just different? Maybe it's you who isn't understanding what is going on?

There's nothing wrong with being elitist. Sometimes people just have bad hobbies and tastes. No one's perfect (except me)

/facetious

That's because it's a PC competitive game, not a handholding game for children/console players.

You don't really need the "increased aim via ironsights" when you have a mouse. You don't need regenning health when it's always about being fast and accurate. Regen would mess that up.

The thing you fail to realize is that sometimes people are just better than others. By incorporating these features you're making it less challenging.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's not all, they also forgot to add perks and killstreaks!

Koroviev

I'm interested in a Payday: The Heist 4-pack. I've been playing nothing but Left 4 Dead 2 and would like to have another solid co-op game to play with friends. I'd prefer it if someone else hosted, but what exactly does hosting entail?

Volcynika

I'm interested in a Payday: The Heist 4-pack. I've been playing nothing but Left 4 Dead 2 and would like to have another solid co-op game to play with friends. I'd prefer it if someone else hosted, but what exactly does hosting entail?

Hosting means you're going to pay for it. The others would pay you for their copies.

Koroviev

Hosting means you're going to pay for it. The others would pay you for their copies.

Oh, I should have been more specific, lol. Can you pay directly with PayPal once the funds have been received? I've never tried with Steam.

Also, opinions on Payday would be appreciated :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also, I feel offended for being called a Steam hater.

It's one of the things I am openly a fanboy of. :(

ttocs

And how come they don't have map packs? Map packs make all modern shooters amazing and Valve needs to get on that! I think $19.99 per 3 maps would be a steal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom