• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have no issue supporting Overkill with $10 Payday DLC. The free support they have given the game is amazing. They are on the forums always listening to community feedback like the Nation Red developers. I implore people to support them. Having said that i'm sure Amazon will the DLC cheaper than Steam ever would, if not at launch the shortly afterward.

There's that, which I do myself (see: Kingdoms of Amalur), but I'm speaking in general.

It's only logical. Push the main game in a sale and create demand for the new DLC.

Yes, but leaving it at full price isn't logical, especially in cases of games with many DLC packs, such as Magicka.

1-D_FTW

Toy Soldiers will soon let players choose between Steamworks or GFWL.

Boy, I regret not buying that game during the summer sale. I specifically avoided it because it used GFWL.

I posted about this with a link to that thread the day it was on sale and it's the main reason I got it. Guess the thread was moving too fast.

I remember you posting that. The thing I don't get: It was posted July 12th. He says it was going to take a couple weeks for certification? WTF does that mean? Steam doesn't have any certification process. If he's referring to internal certification, that's kind of misleading. Because then it clearly wasn't done and he shouldn't have been implying that it was.

Sorry for the mini-rant. But it struck me odd then and seeing that it's almost a month later, I couldn't let it go a second time.

EDIT: Unless it needs MS certification to be able to remove GFWL. Which would be all kinds of funny.

ShaneB

Does anybody find the (recent?) trend of devs/pubs not putting recent DLC on sale when the game itself (and, if applicable, other DLC) is on sale weird? Using Payday as an example, the DLC may have been released just today, but nobody is going to pay $10 for it when the base game can be had for less than half that.

ehhhh.. it's no different than a f2p game. You can get the game dirt cheap/free and get in playing, and if you like it, you'll buy the dlc for the full experience.

JaseC

ehhhh.. it's no different than a f2p game. You can get the game dirt cheap/free and get in playing, and if you like it, you'll buy the dlc for the full experience.

I'd like to know just how many people buy full-priced DLC when the game is on sale. I would assume high numbers for mega-popular FPS games (e.g. Call of Duty) (Edit: And mega-popular games of other genres, such as Skyrim), but I really doubt people are rushing out to buy the, say, Payday DLC when they've bought the game for at least half the cost. And then there's cases like Magicka, where $5 can get you a few older content packs as opposed to one new release.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have no issue supporting Overkill with $10 Payday DLC. The free support they have given the game is amazing. They are on the forums always listening to community feedback like the Nation Red developers. I implore people to support them. Having said that i'm sure Amazon will the DLC cheaper than Steam ever would, if not at launch the shortly afterward.

I would feel better supporting it if I thought the game was well designed.

MRORANGE

Steam support, living up to it's name:

OP5hP.png

I'll keep it updated, when they reply in another week _._

JaseC

Valve probably has robots as the first level of Steam Support, with a human taking a look at the ticket when a reply to an automatic response is sent.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Steam support, living up to it's name:

OP5hP.png

I'll keep it updated, when they reply in another week _._
I think your problem is that you haven't properly installed the flux capacitor in your computer, and you need to downgrade the zero gravity point shield generator. A full reinstallation of Windows should help.

Please reply to this post if you still require assistance.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Valve probably has robots as the first level of Steam Support, with a human taking a look at the ticket when a reply to an automatic response is sent.

Nah, should be similar to the support I/we am/are doing. Its simply lazy CSR's that try to give the first reply that comes to mind thats somewhat related, despite not solving the issue. Just a way of filling the ticket quota, sadly. Properly answering them takes too much time. I try to take my time answering questions that need some more elaborate answers, but some CSR's simply dont seem to care all that much.

JaseC

I think your problem is that you haven't properly installed the flux capacitor in your computer, and you need to downgrade the zero gravity point shield generator. A full reinstallation of Windows should help.

Reminds me of this thread.

Nah, should be similar to the support I am doing. Its simply lazy CSR's that try to give the first reply that comes to mind thats somewhat related, despite not solving the issue. Just a way of filling the ticket quote, sadly. Properly answering them takes too much time. I try to take my time answering questions that need some more elaborate answers, but after some CSR's simply dont seem to care all that much.

I thought using the word "robots" would make the joke obvious. ;)

MRORANGE

If I was Gabe I would fire that robot, it took him nearly a week to reply.

NuGDy.jpg

what a fantastic thread that was^

JaseC

If I was Gabe I would fire that robot, it took him nearly a week to reply.

NuGDy.jpg

I'd like the Space Core to have a stint in Support.

"I believe you're experiencing this problem because you're not logged in from space. Space, space, space. SPAAAACE!"

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I thought using the word "robots" would make the joke obvious. ;)

Ah, damn lol. I was thinking you referred to an auto response, which I do in fact know some support companies use, making it the first reply to a ticket no matter what the support question is about.

1-D_FTW

Nah, should be similar to the support I/we am/are doing. Its simply lazy CSR's that try to give the first reply that comes to mind thats somewhat related, despite not solving the issue. Just a way of filling the ticket quota, sadly. Properly answering them takes too much time. I try to take my time answering questions that need some more elaborate answers, but some CSR's simply dont seem to care all that much.

I really wish they would pay more money and then try and get better applicants (and then hold them to high standards). Because you probably could have a better conversation with bots.

sgossard

Gotta agree with this gentleman; I also recommend getting rid of that pesky system32 file.

LOL

Toma

I really wish they would pay more money and then try and get better applicants (and then hold them to high standards). Because you probably could have a better conversation with bots.

I'd actually say that MOST people working in the support spots are decent enough. The big problem is the ticket quota. If you have the need to fulfill a certain quota, then some tickets simply wont get the attention and time they need. I found myself ignoring a certain support inquiry a few weeks ago for quite some time (not valve, for the support we are doing) which would have taken me 30 minutes to solve/write up because it was a shitton of complicated questions/issues. Usually, I wait to solve these issues until I have enough tickets to easily meet my quota during my shift.

Valve would need to pay for more support guys then though, yeah.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I never gave them the key, so that might be the issue :| I just wanted to know the limit for Steam copies so they told me to enquire Steam about the problem.

If it didn't require a client-side update, then every copy has 50 activations and the Steam page is out of date (wouldn't be the first time). If it did require a client-side update, then EA opted to not release it on Steam, dicking over a large number of copies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, looks like it was pure gold when it was posted, I'd have loved to be here at that time.

I have replaced all of the capacitors by hand and installed Mundorf and Rubicon. The standard glass fuses with ceramic Furutech built for solid state amps. I have set the potentiometer with my Fluke to well over stock setting(supposedly incresase read and write speeds)of the poteniometers of the BR diode albiet shorteneing the life span of the diode. this model does not include the DVD laser.
Yup, the guy was completely legit :p

ameratsu

Don't know if this is the right place for this but thought I would ask: I got two emails late last night from Steam containing authorization codes because someone requested an account password change. Is this an attempt to compromise my steam account? Should I take any precautions?

Thanks

JaseC

Don't know if this is the right place for this but thought I would ask: I got two emails late last night from Steam containing authorization codes because someone requested an account password change. Is this an attempt to compromise my steam account? Should I take any precautions?

Thanks

You obviously have Steam Guard on, so unless you have reason to believe your e-mail account isn't secure, I wouldn't worry. Couldn't hurt to change your password (of your e-mail account) just to be on the safe side, though.

Late edit: As Sarcasm said, definitely change your Steam password -- somebody knows it.

Fireblend

Banned

Thanks

Maybe someone with a similar username got confused, thought he couldn't access his/her account and triggered the password change request?

Sarcasm

Thanks

You've obviously got Steam Guard on, so unless you have reason to believe your e-mail account isn't secure, I wouldn't worry. Couldn't hurt to change your password (of your e-mail account) just to be on the safe side, though.

Change you email password AND your steam password to be safe. Maybe do a few runs of malebytes and scans. Can never hurt to do this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Thanks

Do you have Steam Guard activated? If so then someone was trying to hack your account and steam guard saved your ass.

JaseC

Change you email password AND your steam password to be safe. Maybe do a few runs of malebytes and scans. Can never hurt to do this.

Sure. I didn't think to suggest a Steam password change since, if he can still log in, then the person's attempts to change the password/access his e-mail account were unsuccessful.

I think I'm gonna jump on that Hitman deal for $35. I wish it came with the sniper challenge :/

$30~$40 games are automatically tempting to me as an Aussie, but I can wait for it to go lower since I've never played a Hitman game before, haha. One of these days...

Come to think of it, I still need to purchase Darksiders II. The THQ Store deal would be tempting ($50, but includes the Season Pass: Day 30, 60, and 90 DLC), however I haven't read anything that indicates the scope of the DLC. I don't want to pay ~$20+ more only to discover that the additional content is trivial.

Just redeem Witcher 2 on GoG. For the hell of it, redeem my steam version of Witcher on GoG. It works. Kinda surprised it did, but hey, I'm happy.

kafiend

Thanks

Don't you get this as standard from Steam if you activate a key on Steam and then someone else tries to activate the same key?

JaseC

Don't you get this as standard from Steam if you activate a key on Steam and then someone else tries to activate the same key?

You're thinking of this e-mail, which you also receive if somebody knows your e-mail address and uses it in an attempt to retrieve account info:

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: nofuckingidea

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com

(This made me realise that somebody has accessed ameratsu's Steam account and is trying to change the password from within the client. Leave me alone, it's late. :p)

DTKT

GMG prices are insane. They either pay the difference to publishers in order to drive traffic, or they have completly lost their minds!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
and it's Steamable :)

jamij.png
Fuck, in my country the professional edition costs 53 bucks, but in USA it's 44 :(
And it doesn't even come with Sniper Challenge. In my region you can get it, but you can't apply vouchers to the bundle, so it's either full price for SC or 30% off for just the base game. I don't know what to do, seems to me the logical solution would be to wait for a price drop in a distant future...

Oh, and you can get the previous games for $2.50 each, but they aren't Steam activable.

XeroSauce

About 3 hours into Alan Wake. Thanks to whoever (I'm sure it was a thousand people but whatever) said to turn off the hud. It's so much better. And I don't know how the hell you could get lost so bad you'd need a dot to show you where to go.

I love everything about it so far. Except the shooting... which is sadly like 70% of the game so far :/ (might be an exaggeration, but it's too much regardless)

The only thing I feel like I'm missing out with the hud is I'm worried I'm going to run out of batteries. And is there a difference between lithium and normal batteries? They just last longer?

Some parts during late game are very maze-like and having a UI saves frustration.

I wish you could turn off specific UI elements but oh well.

Regular Batteries: Restores 2 batteries
Lithium: Restores 4 batteries

Phinor

and it's Steamable :)

This, and every one of their daily deals these past few days has been cheaper with the re-usable 25% coupon than with the game specific daily code they are given.

Or am I wrong? I've tried every one of these 30% off deals and the 25% coupon has always been the cheaper option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom