• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Since The Secret World is now on Steam, has anyone experience with playing a MMO and then playing it through Steam? Does the game-key work in Steam upfront?

xJavonta

Banned
So I found this cheap logitech PS2 wheel on my sister's house:

963323-0403-R-2.jpg

brought it home, used my PS2 to USB thingie, using x360ce to run it as a 360 wheel and ive been playing the shit out of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (had about 17 hours played, but havent played in quite a while).

Racer purists might think this is a sin (probably is, wheel isnt very good and between all the different connectors and stuff that im using it's probably far from an ideal experience), but im having a blast

omg, thank you Salsa. I totally forgot about x360ce so my wheel has been gathering dust. I wonder how Driver plays with a wheel vs. a controller...

Man, Saints Row The Third is just fun. Easily has the best action hijack out of any openworld game I've played. Drop kicking people through their windshields, driver side windows or off of bikes never gets old.

Man, Saints Row The Third is just fun. Easily has the best action hijack out of any openworld game I've played. Drop kicking people through their windshields, driver side windows or off of bikes never gets old.

Yeah, I played that a few weeks ago after getting it during the Summer sale. One of the best open world games I've played and I don't get into them much anymore. Do you have any of the DLC? There's a shark gun that's a lot of fun to play with.

camerooni

Neo Member
Reposting GMG's deal, good till the 10th

code ORDER-NTCOM-PLETE

borderlands 2 $37
dark souls $30
darksiders 2 $37
dawnguard $15
inversion $30
hitman absolution $33

edit: the code is actually good for anything, the $60 preorders turn into $45, etc

I would buy 5 of these 6 right now if they would just allow ORDER-FNCOM-PLETE already :/

edit: tried again just not.. 'ORDER NOT COMPLETE'.. ARGH!

Why+are+people+throwing+their+monitors+out+as+well+_b38f0a5197d7b5140f8b86fe5d95e907.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Pretty awesome game and I loved the missions that have music playing during them. It did feel like half the story was missing.

camerooni

Neo Member
Pretty awesome game and I loved the missions that have music playing during them. It did feel like half the story was missing.

Haha.. yeah that was probably the potion they took out to sell later as the expand-alone 'Enter the Dominatrix' .. which they then decided wasn't enough of a game to sell on it's own and so are actually adding more content to ..

It still disgusts me that they charge you extra to dress as the Hot Dog guy..

My favorite part in the game is the mission with the Kanye song playing. I've had that stuck in my head ever since I played it.

Some people might know this site already but for those who don't:

IsThereAnyDeal.com

It's a pretty useful site for tracking deals on other sites. I know that most of you check Steam in 5 minute intervals like me but since there are so many Steamworks games these days you might miss a deal or two from Amazon, Gamersgate or Impulse.

Personally, I use this site for to search for Steam registerable stuff using the Steamworks filter on the right side. Pretty basic. The real nice feature is the waitlist though. If you register you can put games on your list and set a price. If there's a deal below that, they'll send you an e-mail notification. You can import your Steam wishlist as well.

benjipwns

Banned
There were rumors that all the cinematics were rushed and done at the last minute. That's why they have plot holes, little setup, are short, so few compared to SR2, etc.

Since The Secret World is now on Steam, has anyone experience with playing a MMO and then playing it through Steam? Does the game-key work in Steam upfront?
The two I know, Champions Online and Star Trek Online, I believe I just logged into my old account, but those were F2P. CrimeCraft was the same but I think I made a new account or it used my steam account.

Guild Wars and expansions just gives you a key to plug into their site for your account, you can even run the .exe in the Steam folder without running through Steam since that's just how the game works. Same as running stand alone client as "third party" program without the shortcut going away or duplicating.

Only MMO's I know. I played some Vindictus before but haven't done the Steam version yet.

Thanks for the heads up. This one is a little odd because you have to manually click on in to add the free license to your account -- it's not automatically given out to all DD owners.
There's actually a number of those out there on Steam, including for DD before. Sanctum had some, I think Defense Grid had one free for a period as well.

Narag

Thanks for the heads up. This one is a little odd because you have to manually click on in to add the free license to your account -- it's not automatically given out to all DD owners.

That's how other DD limited time free DLC I've seen has been.

A friend of mine will come back from England on 19th of August. For some unknownn reason Sleeping Dogs will be available here in Italy only on 31st (and not on the 17th). If i (try to) redeem the copy i buy before the date from which the game will be available here, will Steam burn my house or something else?
Thanks guys.

Kabouter

Some summersale stuff I've been playing/have played:
Airline Tycoon 2 (+DLC)
I love the original Airline Tycoon, it's a great, funny and accessible management game with an original interface and addictive gameplay. It actually still holds up really well, I replayed Airline Tycoon: Evolution not that long ago, and found myself in love with the game all over again. It was for this reason that when its sequel was 66% off on Steam, I jumped at it and hoped for it to recapture the magic of the original. After only about an hour, I can say conclusively that it does not. At all. The game suffers from many issues, mainly regarding its interface which is so poor that it really harms the game experience a lot, and this is coming from someone who has no real issues with the interface of Paradox Interactive games. There's also the fact that the humour this time around is just not there, even though it tries to be, and the art is pretty poor compared to that of the original. I won't rate it after having played so little of it, but I will say that I strongly recommend against buying it at any price. If you want an airline management game, grab Airline Tycoon Deluxe off Gamersgate.

Dear Esther
Played this pretty much in one go and found it to be a very interesting experience, I always like it when games try something new, insofar as you can even call this a game. I found myself really taken in by the atmosphere of the game, the general feeling of uneasiness and loneliness that the game conveys so well to the player. Other than that, I thought the environments in the game were absolutely striking, and that it was just about the right length and finished it off with a good ending. The only real issue I had with it was that I experienced a few graphics glitches near the end, but they were relatively minor. 8/10

Not Steam sale but went back to it:
Mount & Blade: Warband with Floris Mod Pack v2.53
I really felt like replaying Mount & Blade: Warband, one of my favourite titles on Steam, recently and I've been enjoying the hell out of it. It's mainly the combat and the fact that you start out as just your lone self and end up with an army and a nation that keep me coming back to this game. The mod pack only improves it further, adding new features and content as well as improving what's already there. I would never go back to the vanilla game after having played with this mod pack, it's that much better. It makes an already great game even better, a rare thing, as I usually feel like mods tend to change the character and balance of a game for the worse. Surprising lack of bugs too. 9.5/10

Summersale games still to try/finish/play enough for an opinion: Q.U.B.E., Pro Cycling Manager 2012, Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition, Botanicula, Driver: San Francisco, Renegade Ops, The Ship, Stacking

Pretty favourable impressions on Q.U.B.E., Pro Cycling Manager 2012, GalCiv 2 and Driver: SF so far though.

Ledsen

I also played Dear Esther a few weeks ago, the environments were breathtaking but the whole experience was marred by the horrific writing. It's like they took a normal script and someone said "hey, not enough convoluted metaphors and substanceless drivel in here, let's get to work guys!"

I also played QUBE and quite enjoyed it but stopped at THAT FUCKING PUZZLE and I'm not going back. Please don't put unreliable physics in your puzzle game which requires absolute physics precision, thanks.

I bought "Orcs Must Die Game of the Year edition". It includes "Artifacts of Power" and "Lost Adventures".

In the manage DLC option i see the extra suit, the extra traps and the levels. But i can't access the DLC levels. Any ideas of what im missing?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Does the game have any free camera options or special tweaks?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just finished F.E.A.R. for the second time (very good shooting game...a little repetitive but still a very fun game) ...Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate is worth to play it?

If you can handle beating FEAR twice, it's worth it to play through the expansions and FEAR 2/3.

The_Monk

Hello fellow GAFfers, I have a quick question for you:

I was on vacation for the past week but decided to bring my Laptop over. Now, for some reason it was never possible to log on Steam on my Mac side but I could play Offline mode on Windows 7 without a problem.

I finished Costume Quest (great game by the way) and while playing I never got any achievement. When I arrived home, Steam did an update but no Stats for the time in game played and no achievements. I tried restarting from the last checkpoint, and got two random achievements and when I did the last boss (again) I got the achievement for beating it (which I had already done in offline mode)

I never played on Offline mode so I don't have an idea if it was my fault. Is there a way to update my Stats and Achievements? If not, it's cool, I don't care for them I was just worried If it was my own fault for not having these updated or something.

Thanks in advance!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How far into the game was that?

It's like one of the last puzzles IIRC, so it's pretty late into the game. It's either in or after sector 7. While poorly implemented, the puzzle isn't too difficult to get past if you have a bit of patience and I think the ending is rather lovely and worth seeing.

MRORANGE

Hello fellow GAFfers, I have a quick question for you:

I was on vacation for the past week but decided to bring my Laptop over. Now, for some reason it was never possible to log on Steam on my Mac side but I could play Offline mode on Windows 7 without a problem.

I finished Costume Quest (great game by the way) and while playing I never got any achievement. When I arrived home, Steam did an update but no Stats for the time in game played and no achievements. I tried restarting from the last checkpoint, and got two random achievements and when I did the last boss (again) I got the achievement for beating it (which I had already done in offline mode)

I never played on Offline mode so I don't have an idea if it was my fault. Is there a way to update my Stats and Achievements? If not, it's cool, I don't care for them I was just worried If it was my own fault for not having these updated or something.

Thanks in advance!

Most games that are played offline do not update stats to the cloud to get achievements, Skyrim and few other games are update stats once you get out of offline mode.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know it's Origin only, but Need for Speed: The Run is actually quite a fun game.

I had fun in the sense that I was consistently amused by how stupid the main character was and how poorly the game was designed. A better team with a longer dev time than 6 months or whatever EA is doling out these days could have made something interesting. However, a game that last 2-3 hours (that's where my timer was at the finish), lacked tracks compelling enough to revisit, and dreadful driving physics compared to their competition isn't really something I would recommend.

Thank. *strikes off wishlist*
Hey man, you should support indie devs who aren't pompous assholes, racist, or whiny as fuck about their game getting on Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished F.E.A.R. for the second time (very good shooting game...a little repetitive but still a very fun game) ...Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate is worth to play it?
For me yes, but that's because I love that type of gameplay and the franchise. If you're interested in the story canon, then you may skip them.

ngt

I bought "Orcs Must Die Game of the Year edition". It includes "Artifacts of Power" and "Lost Adventures".

In the manage DLC option i see the extra suit, the extra traps and the levels. But i can't access the DLC levels. Any ideas of what im missing?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Does the game have any free camera options or special tweaks?

Click "Play" and then there will be a button saying "Change campaign".

garath

Hell Torchlight 2 seems to be flying farther away as well. Last time I checked, it was like late September, now it seems to be October since Guns of Icarus is Sept 30. I'm not real concerned about it although I've had the odd think about actually playing it.

Torchlight 2 is going to be a distant memory for me come October. I'll have League of Legends still, Borderlands 2 and Counter Strike : GO. Their delays have turned them from an insta-buy to a $5 sale buy next year. They would have to release this month for me to pick it up.

Fireblend

Banned
Hell Torchlight 2 seems to be flying farther away as well. Last time I checked, it was like late September, now it seems to be October since Guns of Icarus is Sept 30. I'm not real concerned about it although I've had the odd think about actually playing it.

Meh, that's alright by me as long as I can buy it come December (and if it comes along with a ~25% discount during the winter sale then all the better). I've been getting rid of my backlog ever since the summer sale ended (done with Rayman Origins, LIMBO, Alan Wake and L.A. Noire so far! Some of those were already more than halfway done though), and I've got more than enough to keep me content until year's end.

Speaking of which, how long is Darksiders supposed to be? I bought it on a whim from GMG when it was $4 and started it a couple of nights ago but I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to finish it along with Human Revolution by mid-September :lol

Speaking of which, how long is Darksiders supposed to be? I bought it on a whim from GMG when it was $4 and started it a couple of nights ago but I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to finish it along with Human Revolution by mid-September :lol

Darksiders is around 12-15 hours and Deus Ex is around 25-30 depending on how much side stuff you do.

Meh, that's alright by me as long as I can buy it come December (and if it comes along with a ~25% discount during the winter sale then all the better). I've been getting rid of my backlog ever since the summer sale ended (done with Rayman Origins, LIMBO, Alan Wake and L.A. Noire so far! Some of those were already more than halfway done though), and I've got more than enough to keep me content until year's end.

I'm about 2 hours off finishing Darksiders, I've been collecting everything (granted using a guide as its my second playthough) and spent at least 2-3 hours grinding achievements, but I'm roughly at 12 hours atm. First playthrough, I'd say 15 hours if you not rushing it.

Fireblend

Banned
Darksiders is around 12-15 hours and Deus Ex is around 25-30 depending on how much side stuff you do.

I'm about 2 hours off finishing Darksiders, I've been collecting everything (granted using a guide as its my second playthough) and spent at least 2-3 hours grinding achievements, but I'm roughly at 12 hours atm. First playthrough, I'd say 15 hours if you not rushing it.

Thanks, I guess that's ok then, since I'm already done with about a third of Human Revolution anyway. And for the record, I've got to say it feels good to actually finish games for once instead of just abandoning them halfway through for no reason in particular. Seeing my backlog shrinking is incredibly rewarding :lol

I agree with the last Q.U.B.E. puzzles being garbage. The rest of the game is alright. I don't feel particularly strongly about it though.

I too enjoyed Dear Esther. That soundtrack was incredible, and totally helped set the uneasy tone. I think there's totally room for more gaming short stories out there. The 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' game by Thechineseroom sounds fantastic. I'm really looking forward to that.

I also finished Alan Wake's American Nightmare last night. I'm a big Alan Wake fan, but as someone who went way overboard on the first games collectables (100 Thermoses, All Manuscript Pages, etc.) I was of the mindset that I needed all of the manuscripts, which caused me to play differently than I otherwise would. Their minimap integration was definitely a big step in the right direction though. Other than that stuff I think the combat is really well designed. By having the enemies slow down within the flashlight, I have time to aim my shots. Also spawning in enemies when you're just loitering around an area keeps you moving forward. The story just makes me wonder what they'll do with Alan Wake 2. I'm still somewhat unsure about the events in AN, and how they fit into the series.

Good game though.

I also played Dear Esther a few weeks ago, the environments were breathtaking but the whole experience was marred by the horrific writing. It's like they took a normal script and someone said "hey, not enough convoluted metaphors and substanceless drivel in here, let's get to work guys!".

I thought the spotty writing worked very well for the tone of Dear Esther, but I'm extremely fond of that game because it gave me the most astonishingly involving experiences I've ever had with any media. I won't explain why because it sounds so stupid when I tell the story, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom