• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dungeons did absolutely nothing for me. The concept for the game is just too.... strange.

You basically have to a make a theme park for the heroes coming into your dungeon, satisfy their needs and then kill them to eat their essence. So instead of building the coolest most lethal dungeon you can you have to treat it completely backwards.

No matter how much I played of it, it never felt right.

The Other Side of the Coin for Magicka is on sale though. Pretty sure that wasn't on sale during the Summer. It worth it?

I haven't tried the story mode of it yet. But me and a mate gave the challenge map it comes with a spin and it is fairly interesting. You get this robe which you can't use in any other mode other then the story mode and this one new challenge map (perhaps you can unlock it for universal play, I dunno) but you get healing through arcane and summon minions abilities which does change it up in ways that I didn't quite anticipate but are fairly awesome. I think, if you are a Magika fan it seems to change things up in a fairly interesting fashion, but it won't bring you over if you are indifferent to the game. For the price though, I would say go for it.

DAMN IT WHY IS ALL THE MAGICKA DLC IN MY CART. WHY AM I CLICKING "PURCHASE FOR MYSELF". I DON'T EVEN LIKE MAGICKA ANYMORE.

EDIT: DAMN IT NOW I OWN IT, THANKS FOR NOTHING GAF

Katoki

Meh, that's alright by me as long as I can buy it come December (and if it comes along with a ~25% discount during the winter sale then all the better). I've been getting rid of my backlog ever since the summer sale ended (done with Rayman Origins, LIMBO, Alan Wake and L.A. Noire so far! Some of those were already more than halfway done though), and I've got more than enough to keep me content until year's end.

That would make me a bit sad sad, but that's just me defending my pre-order costs at this point. Life.

And back logs... what back logs? It's play what you want, when you want to.
3AQmK.gif

I have the American Nightmare installed and i really want to play it but it has some really serious problems with my machine. No problems in your side?
Like what kind of problems? I had some rhythmic frame rate hitches as I ran through levels, but I attributed that to not enough RAM (3GB). Everything was totally playable though.

Gvaz

Banned
If your justification for spending a low amount of money on something you know is bad is because it's not that much money, next time give me your money. I'll make better use of it than you obviously do.

1-D_FTW

If your justification for spending a low amount of money on something you know is bad is because it's not that much money, next time give me your money. I'll make better use of it than you obviously do.

I'll go halvsies with it. My bigger issue is junk just makes organization more difficult. That's my bias against adding things unless there's even a remote chance I might some day actually play it.

HoosTrax

English Country Tune...I kind of remember trying that game out after RPS had an article about it -- I had no idea what was going on or what I was supposed to do.

Major Steam releases for the rest of the year:

Darksiders II
Sleeping Dogs
Dark Souls
Borderlands 2
Dishonored
Assassin's Creed III
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Hitman: Absolution

My bet is for Sleeping Dogs to drop the fastest in price.

Seeing Hexen II as the daily deal makes me wonder why Heretic II isn't available anywhere. Man, I loved that game. Any word as to why it disappeared from existance?

I love Heretic 2, and would pay good money to have it in my Steam library.

The game was published by Activision so thats probably why, they dont care about their old library of games.

Heretic 1 was published by iD software...

zulux21

Major Steam releases for the rest of the year:

Darksiders II
Sleeping Dogs
Dark Souls
Borderlands 2
Dishonored
Assassin's Creed III
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Hitman: Absolution

My bet is for Sleeping Dogs to drop the fastest in price.
im hoping borderlands drops the fastest... though for me the biggest steam release for the rest of the year would be Torchlight 2. The most expensive game i have ever preordered from steam lol

wrowa

Oh for fuck's sake, this can't be true. -_-

It's slightly off-topic, but I started playing Arkham City yesterday. Even though GFWL prevented me from being able to play Arkham Asylum for more than a few hours, I bought Arkham City during the Steam sale. You know, I thought that GFWL might have improved over the last years.

Turns out, the game runs fine.

Until I wanted to start playing again today. Guess what? All save files are suddenly empty. GFWL strikes again.

Is there any way to recover save files that have been "lost" by GFWL? Please say yes. Please.

Gvaz

Banned
Yes, they are still there just the game can't find them because the folder ids changed. You have to find the new one, then copy your saves over and restart the game.

Like what kind of problems? I had some rhythmic frame rate hitches as I ran through levels, but I attributed that to not enough RAM (3GB). Everything was totally playable though.
Well played like for 25 minutes, taking my time, i reached the motel. The weird graphical corruption started appering on screen. I exited to desktop and couldn't run the game or any other one until i restarted the machine. I thought maybe it was the vid card but it ner got above 67 celcius and i did extensive gaming sessions with other games and all seemed normal.

The official forum talks about not overclocking the GPU but mind cuarrently isn't. I even scared to start up the game again XD That is until i can find if anyone had similar issues.

HoosTrax

I don't remember an atomic bomb in this. I remember discovering I was a creepy asshole though.
That's the literal interpretation. The metaphorical interpretation is that
Tim was a scientist on the Manhattan Project obsessively chasing the breakthrough that would lead to the atomic bomb. The start of the game, with the city in ruins and aflame in the background, is the aftermath of this. The girl is symbolic of the elusive scientific discovery that Tim's after. Blinded by love, blinded by scientific obsession

That's the literal interpretation. The metaphorical interpretation is that
Tim was a scientist on the Manhattan Project obsessively chasing the breakthrough that would lead to the atomic bomb. The start of the game, with the city in ruins and aflame in the background, is the aftermath of this.

I looked at is as the building of the bomb was compared to all of these problems Tim had with this girl, and the bomb going off was the relationship finally ending. The city in ruins is his world ruined because she is gone.

HoosTrax

I looked at is as the building of the bomb was compared to all of these problems Tim had with this girl, and the bomb going off was the relationship finally ending. The city in ruins is his world ruined because she is gone.
Yeah, that's a different, and also entirely plausible explanation of the story. I don't think Johnathon Blow has ever stated specifically what the meaning was, only saying that there are multiple ways of interpreting it.

Yeah, that's a different, and also entirely plausible explanation of the story. I don't think Johnathon Blow has ever stated specific what the meaning was, only saying that there are multiple ways of interpreting it.

And that's one of the things I love most about the game. So many theories out there on what's going on. I hope The Witness is the same way in that regard.

Well played like for 25 minutes, taking my time, i reached the motel. The weird graphical corruption started appering on screen. I exited to desktop and couldn't run the game or any other one until i restarted the machine. I thought maybe it was the vid card but it ner got above 67 celcius and i did extensive gaming sessions with other games and all seemed normal.

The official forum talks about not overclocking the GPU but mind cuarrently isn't. I even scared to start up the game again XD That is until i can find if anyone had similar issues.

Weird. Have you verified the cache and such? American Nightmare crashed for me 3 times throughout the session for seemingly no reason, but the graphical corruption sounds strange.

I see the updated it on June 13th that touches on some graphical stuff. Was your session past then?

HoosTrax

I hope The Witness is the same way in that regard.
Yeah I've been looking forward to it as well. I think the multiple layers of meaning beyond just the puzzle platforming aspect is why Braid stood out to me over the multitude of other indie puzzle platformers out there.

wrowa

Yes, they are still there just the game can't find them because the folder ids changed. You have to find the new one, then copy your saves over and restart the game.

Do you have any idea where that folder might be located? The only thing I can find right now is the WB Games folder in Documents, but the save games folder inside is completely empty. But I don't really know whether or not there's a special place where GFWL saves the save files...

Gvaz

Banned
Do you have any idea where that folder might be located? The only thing I can find right now is the WB Games folder in Documents, but the save games folder inside is completely empty. But I don't really know whether or not there's a special place where GFWL saves the save files...

its in your userfolder somewhere /user/wrowa/ and either in /local/ or /roaming/

Oh for fuck's sake, this can't be true. -_-

It's slightly off-topic, but I started playing Arkham City yesterday. Even though GFWL prevented me from being able to play Arkham Asylum for more than a few hours, I bought Arkham City during the Steam sale. You know, I thought that GFWL might have improved over the last years.

Turns out, the game runs fine.

Until I wanted to start playing again today. Guess what? All save files are suddenly empty. GFWL strikes again.

Is there any way to recover save files that have been "lost" by GFWL? Please say yes. Please.

Were you logged in or were you playing offline? One trick would be to find the save file directory and see if there's a folder with your save data in it. One tip was to start a new game, save and immediately quit. Copy the name of that new older, delete it and replace the name of your original save folder (if exists) with new one.

Drive\Users\Username\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\SaveData

Click the Start and do a search for Batman.

Yeah I've been looking forward to it as well. I think the multiple layers of meaning beyond just the puzzle platforming aspect is why Braid stood out to me over the multitude of other indie puzzle platformers out there.

The only other one that has come close for me has been Limbo. Most of them seem to just put focus on puzzles and platforming, which is fine, but it's nice to see a game try and do something more with it.

derExperte

Yeah, that's a different, and also entirely plausible explanation of the story. I don't think Johnathon Blow has ever stated specifically what the meaning was, only saying that there are multiple ways of interpreting it.

Blow said in some interview that the start wasn't supposed to look like an atomic explosion, just a nice sunrise/dawn. So it's an interesting interpretation but not something he intended. Afaik he didn't even draw that background himself.

HoosTrax

Other than the Tropico games (have all of them already), there's nothing else that I'm really missing out on as far as Kalypso games right? So many bad reboots heh...

Weird. Have you verified the cache and such? American Nightmare crashed for me 3 times throughout the session for seemingly no reason, but the graphical corruption sounds strange.

I see the updated it on June 13th that touches on some graphical stuff. Was your session past then?
Yes, i did verify the cache and returned no problems. The gaming session was in July. The strange thing was that after i had to exit the game, every game i started had the graphical corruption and then after some seconds entering the inital screens it stopped working. No issues after i restarted.

Im just wandering if anyone had a similar issue with any game now.

Other than the Tropico games (have all of them already), there's nothing else that I'm really missing out on as far as Kalypso games right? So many bad reboots heh...

I don't mind Jagged Alliance but I've only played through the tutorial, never played the originals and most seem to thin k Back in Action is pretty mediocre.

Speevy

Banned
First to quote this post gets today's daily deal (Magicka).

Don't quote me if you already have it, or if you don't want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom