• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
just cause 2 won't launch

it'd be swell if someone could try launching and tell me if it works
also does anyone have a solution pls 'n thx
Weird, it works perfectly for me. I just tested this and didn't have any problem to launch the game.

Sober

anyone back at Hot Pursuit or playing for the first time?

add me peeps
I should get back to playing it.

Funny story, I swore up and down I would not pay more than 5$ if it went on sale. I told myself 10$ was too much. So Amazon put it on sale for 5$ and I bought it. Then the summer sale on Steam happened and I bought it again.

Guess I better to go download it on Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
What's this, my computer is being incredibly unresponsive for like 5 minutes? Oh right, Thursday DOTA 2 update time. :mad:

To add insult to injury, GAF decided to give me a "We DON'T Like Young Men! We Want YOU!" ad for the thread. ;_;

Joe Molotov

What's this, my computer is being incredibly unresponsive for like 5 minutes? Oh right, Thursday DOTA 2 update time. :mad:

To add insult to injury, GAF decided to give me a "We DON'T Like Young Men! We Want YOU!" ad for the thread. ;_;

I guess it's because I have my OS on a different drive than Steam, but I never get this unresponsiveness during updates that I hear other people talking about.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess it's because I have my OS on a different drive than Steam, but I never get this unresponsiveness during updates that I hear other people talking about.
That'd probably do it. I think it's because of the Steam folders and/or temp directory getting hammered during the update because of lots of file copies. I don't know the exact details.

MRORANGE

Awesome $80. So much for Bethesda discarding the Aussie Tax

UK version is kinda cheap (as in priced like a normal PC game)

ibor1PL39bl6ej.png

or you could wait for GMG/Amazon to get on board for cheaper.

trinest

I'm thinking of waiting until its on GMG, but at the same time I'm not really hyped for it. I like the ideas and concepts of Dishonord. But not really super excited, maybe its because its not out for awhile? Right now I can't get enough of Sleeping Dogs and can't wait for my key from GMG.

Sober

I thought New Vegas had steam cloud!? Now all my saves are gooooooooone. I will be forced to trek through the wasteland again.
I think it was bugged so they removed it but I guess the never updated the store page?

Good news though: you have a reason to replay FNV again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
UK version is kinda cheap (as in priced like a normal PC game)

ibor1PL39bl6ej.png

or you could wait for GMG/Amazon to get on board for cheaper.

So Bethesda, over the course of a couple of weeks, removes the Aussie Tax from all its games, including Skyrim, but taxes Dawnguard and Dishonored?

CPgJ1.jpg

HoosTrax

PixelJunk Eden is actually pretty engrossing, in an Osmos way -- got it in some random indie bundle a while back, finally tried it. I have no idea how people managed to play it on PS3 though, I'd go crazy if I had to play this with a controller. It seems pretty well suited to mouse control, maybe even more so for touch controls.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
PixelJunk Eden is actually pretty engrossing, in an Osmos way -- got it in some random indie bundle a while back, finally tried it. I have no idea how people managed to play it on PS3 though, I'd go crazy if I had to play this with a controller. It seems pretty well suited to mouse control, maybe even more so for touch controls.
That makes me feel really stupid. I bought it on the summer sale, but didn't really understand it, I just tumbled my way through the first level. I had a friend explain the game to me, but still felt it was overly complicated, and never came back to it.

jediyoshi

Trine and Beat Hazard Ultra are the free IGN prime games of the month, both are just steam keys. $6.95 for a month is their smallest payment tier
They had MWO beta keys a day or two ago but they all got scooped up quick I'm guessing

HoosTrax

That makes me feel really stupid. I bought it on the summer sale, but didn't really understand it, I just tumbled my way through the first level. I had a friend explain the game to me, but still felt it was overly complicated, and never came back to it.
I got that stupid feeling when I tried English Country Tune. Eden makes more sense to me I guess. Maybe it's the aesthetics that throw people off.

- It's sort of like Spiderman, only you can only attach webs when you're already on a "building"(plant), and then swing on them -- you can't fire "webs" (silk) in midair
- The spin move is sort of like Sonic's spinning jump and will make you invuln if you touch an enemy while doing it (at least in the case of the earlier enemies). If you touch an enemy while jumping normally, you get knockbacked instead. You have to hold the spin button hold to continue doing the spin throughout your jump.
- The spin move also detaches your "web" if you're swinging
- The drop attack is kind of like Mario's ground pound, but with the added caveat that you need to be spinning to do that.

I pretty much always hold down the "spin" button when I need to detach the web or when I'm jumping, makes it easier to drop attack whenever I need to, to hit the pollen guys or enemies.

There is one aspect of the game that's annoying me though -- there's a timer, and you have to extend it by collecting things or doing special combos. Adds a sense of urgency to an otherwise relaxing game.

Fireblend

Banned
I got that stupid feeling when I tried English Country Tune. Eden makes more sense to me I guess. Maybe it's the aesthetics that throw people off.

- It's sort of like Spiderman, only you can only attach webs when you're already on a "building"(plant), and then swing on them -- you can't fire "webs" (silk) in midair
- The spin move is sort of like Sonic's spinning jump and will make you invuln if you touch an enemy while doing it (at least in the case of the earlier enemies). If you touch an enemy while jumping normally, you get knockbacked instead. You have to hold the spin button hold to continue doing the spin throughout your jump.
- The drop attack is kind of like Mario's ground pound, but with the added caveat that you need to be spinning to do that.

I pretty much always hold down the "spin" button when I need to detach the web or when I'm jumping, makes it easier to drop attack whenever I need to, to hit the pollen guys or enemies.

There is one aspect of the game that's annoying me though -- there's a timer, and you have to extend it by collecting things or doing special combos. Adds a sense of urgency to an otherwise relaxing game.

There are enemies in this game? There's a drop attack? I... I think I might have been playing it wrong...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Spin button? I don't think I've gotten that far, never heard of it. Drop attack? Spinning ground pound attack that detaches the web? Wow, it's actually much more complicated than my friend made it seem!

Also, there's the fact that when I collect the pollen or whatever it is, I never know which one of the flowers will be activating. And I couldn't find the MacGuffin to complete the second level, though I'm sure I explored most of it. It's like the game purposely doesn't want me to play it :(

Smash88

Banned
Anyone here that has bought Dark Souls on Steam and is going to play it Day 1, I'd really love to see anyone's impressions. FPS, Graphics, AA, Res Cap, etc...

I know the gameplay is awesome and the game itself, but PC specific problems/pros (if there are any - haha).

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, English Country Tune. I started it, thought "Huh, this is just Sokoban?" and then discovered it is something mindbendingly more. It feels healthy and satisfying in some weird way, or maybe I'm just tired.

There is very little instruction, yet it seems surprisingly intuitive, introducing new steps and tactics a bit at a time. I highly recommend anyone interested in abstract puzzle games check it out (demo at http://www.englishcountrytune.com/, since I don't think the demo is on Steam itself).

Undo is a great feature to have. My one main objection is that the floater-in-eye graphical effect is kind of obnoxious. *edit* My other objection is that it has no vsync or frame limit so it goes at like 500 fps and cranks up your video card temperature/fan needlessly.

K-19

Banned
Anyone here that has bought Dark Souls on Steam and is going to play it Day 1, I'd really love to see anyone's impressions. FPS, Graphics, AA, Res Cap, etc...

I know the gameplay is awesome and the game itself, but PC specific problems/pros (if there are any - haha).

Didn't test the PC version, but with no optimization (frame rate etc ...) should be as funny as the console version.

Wok

Wow, English Country Tune. I started it, thought "Huh, this is just Sokoban?" and then discovered it is something mindbendingly more. It feels healthy and satisfying in some weird way, or maybe I'm just tired. There is very little instruction, yet it seems surprisingly intuitive, introducing new steps and tactics a bit at a time. [...] Undo is a great feature to have. My one main objection is that the floater-in-eye graphical effect is kind of obnoxious. *edit* My other objection is that it has no vsync or frame limit so it goes at like 500 fps and cranks up your video card temperature/fan needlessly.

It looks like Sokoban for the first levels, but then the game gets much more richer. I never encountered fps problem. And for those that missed it:

English Country Tune is a luxuriant abstract 3D puzzle game brought to you by increpare, the first commercial project of a developer who's brought you nearly 200 freeware games to date. Over the course of more than a hundred levels situated throughout 17 worlds, you'll become acquainted with a wide variety of very different mechanics, none of them what they first may appear, and which will combine together in challenging ways.

For information, I bought the game on the day of the release for $10 through the Humble Store [...] and this is the best puzzle game I have played for several years. A game which will blow your mind in a good way. If you are not convinced, try the demo on the official website.

Speevy

Banned
I don't know if any of you have played Cuboid for the PSN, but English Country Tune reminds me of that game (which I loved).

Martian

I bought Payday: The Heist (finally), but I saw that there are only 6 missions..

Can someone that is able to play (not me atm) say if that's enough. 6 seems a bit meager

Anyone here have Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion? Just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade from Trinity.

Sure do, purchased it in the steam sales. Was a great pick up.

Sorry, haven't played it though :p

It wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

Bethesda Exec: "Sales haven't increased 2000% after the removal of the Aussie Tax? Well then, we will apply it to future releases!"

It could be, and it is only a 0.00001%er that they are going to tax games at release, and then a short while later drop the price once retail is no longer a consideration.

God I can't believe I seriously typed that. But as far as ripping off Australia's go, at least that is somewhat legit.

The cynic in me wants to believe that Bethesda is waiting until these current coupons expire to put Dishonored up but I'm probably just being a conspiracy nut. I'm pretty sure these coupons and ridiculous deals bite into GMG's profits not the publisher's, so they wouldn't care.

I'm with you though I desperately want it to get put up with a minimum 20% deal in place somewhere on the site. It's my most wanted game this year and one of the only ones I don't have paid off yet.

I picked up Hitman:Absolution for $30 about a month back from greenman, I'm hoping for a similar price point before release from them($30-40) as Dishonored an Hitman are the two games I'm looking forward to the most this year, followed by Halo 4.

Card Boy

Banned
I bought Payday: The Heist (finally), but I saw that there are only 6 missions..

Can someone that is able to play (not me atm) say if that's enough. 6 seems a bit meager

It has 7 now as they gave people the No Mercy Heist for free. Also L4D had a equally number of low missions before Valve patched more in. If you have a friend with the DLC you get 9 as you can play them for free. These guys dont have the billions of dollars Valve does and its only $20 compared to the $50 L4D launched at.

MNC

Anyone here have Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion? Just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade from Trinity.

I have it, and if I have to be honest, no, it's not worth it. Trinity is already so big that there's so much skills, research trees, units, what have you that by having played Trinity a year back, and having bought Rebellion now, that I can't find any difference other than Steam enabled multiplayer.

HoosTrax

And I couldn't find the MacGuffin to complete the second level, though I'm sure I explored most of it. It's like the game purposely doesn't want me to play it :(
Your silk will indicate to your which direction the closest "MacGuffin" is in. When you're swinging in a circle from it, pay attention and you'll see a little circle flash around your Grimp (your little avatar) when you're pointed in the direction closest to the "MacGuffin".

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have it, and if I have to be honest, no, it's not worth it. Trinity is already so big that there's so much skills, research trees, units, what have you that by having played Trinity a year back, and having bought Rebellion now, that I can't find any difference other than Steam enabled multiplayer.

Can't find a difference? How about having double the factions?

MNC

Can't find a difference? How about having double the factions?

Like I said, it's been a year since I played Trinity. So if you're big on the Sins lore and all and you can spot everything, go for it. It's a great game, but I'm still pretty much starting in the whole thing, and I only played a few (proper) games of Trinity.

I think I'm not too entitled on having a professional rundown on the game :lol It's good fun, if you've played alot of Trinity and want more: go for it. Is this your first sins game: you should have gone for the ultra cheap trinity during the summer sale.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up Hitman:Absolution for $30 about a month back from greenman, I'm hoping for a similar price point before release from them($30-40) as Dishonored an Hitman are the two games I'm looking forward to the most this year, followed by Halo 4.
I'm on the edge about preordering Hitman. I don't know what the price will be when it launches, nor when will it be discounted. And they haven't released the minimum requirements yet, I'd hate to buy a game my pc can't run.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Your silk will indicate to your which direction the closest "MacGuffin" is in. When you're swinging in a circle from it, pay attention and you'll see a little circle flash around your Grimp (your little avatar) when you're pointed in the direction closest to the "MacGuffin".

Oh, that's something I didn't know, and which looks extremely useful. Thanks a lot for the tips and guides, I'll see if I can play it again tonight and beat the second level at least :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Don't worry, you will have had your fill by the second or third level and completely lose interest in the rest.

HoosTrax

Oh, that's something I didn't know, and which looks extremely useful. Thanks a lot for the tips and guides, I'll see if I can play it again tonight and beat the second level at least :p
Np, happy to help. One more thing -- once you get really close to a "MacGuffin" (I think they're called Spectra or something similar), as in it's just out of view, you'll see a pulsating glow on the edge of your screen indicating the direction it's in as well.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Np, happy to help. One more thing -- once you get really close to a "MacGuffin" (I think they're called Spectra or something similar), as in it's just out of view, you'll see a pulsating glow on the edge of your screen indicating the direction it's in as well.
So, the game doesn't have me THAT much? Good to know! And yes, I'd forgotten the name of those thingies, that's why I used the term "MacGuffin". If they're Spectres, then I'm Commander Shepard (terrible joke, please don't hit me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom