• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

You can play AirMech through Chrome, iirc.
So it's actually an approved cross promotion? I wish they'd gotten the color orders right in that case, it looks like the Chrome flying saucer is upside down.

chrome_logo.gif

Wonder if they're getting rid of it for the Steam version and replacing it with Wheatley or something along those lines.

It's not a MOBA game is it? It has a very Dota 2 look about the visuals.

Hero Academy is great. It becomes really addicting once you get into it. Been playing it for about 2 hours straight now.

Probably the best part of it is that you can get up and do other stuff while waiting for others to play their turns. Makes cleaning the washrooms much more bearable.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, Binary Domain is so tempting, but I've got way too many games on my backlog already and I just bought Darksiders on a whim (for $4, but still). If I keep buying games I'll have to go from a game-a-month marathon to a two-games-a-month marathon at this rate.

Meh, there's always the winter sale.

DSix

Banned
I gave in to gaf hype (and the good demo) and I bought Binary Domain.

As if my backlog wasn't big enough already ._.

Momentary

Banned
Ummm... I'm looking at my Dark Souls pre-order on Steam and tried to pull it up on steam and also search for it on Steam. The store page is gone and it doesn't pop up on the search engine anymore. I thought that maybe it all of a sudden became region locked over here, but there is a page that would pop up saying that it's so.. it's not even showing that.

Edit: Now I'm searching for it again and it pops up that it's region locked. What the hell is going on? Luckily I bought it before this happened. This is weird though.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Teknoman

Everyone needs to buy Binary Domain. Its very intense at times, and feels like...a Contra style game in 3D done right.

Dark Souls pops up for me just fine.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just popping in to make sure everyone's bought Binary Domain.

Also, what kind of game is Hero Academy? I understand it's an asynch turn-based strategy game, but is it close to Disgaea, Fire Emblem, etc. or something else?
I still haven't. Call me a cheap bastard, but I'm waiting for it to get to 5 bucks :p

Steam should be ashamed of their false advertising. They told me that Hero Academy was $4.99, but then when I went to the store page, they held multiple hats for ransom until I gave them $15.

What the heck.

btw, if you want to win a game of Hero Academy, play against me. name: TouchMyBox.

Sanic

I seem to remember reading around the time of its launch that Nexuiz wasn't considered to be that great. What exactly did/do people have a problem with?

Salsa

got Hero Academy as an early birthday gift. Dev friend always raves about how brilliant it is (the iphone version) and how everyone at his office just plays a ton of it instead of working on Kingdom Rush 2 :b

Lookin forward to it.

got Hero Academy as an early birthday gift. Dev friend always raves about how brilliant it is (the iphone version) and how everyone at his office just plays a ton of it instead of working on Kingdom Rush 2 :b

Lookin forward to it.

Few of us gaffers are playing it. Start a game with us :)

bonesquad

They want $20 for Hero Academy (all 5 factions) on Steam? It's $6 on iOS (minus the TF2 team). That's quite a surcharge for TF2. I think I'll wait and add this to my wishlist. I should be playing the superior Summoner Wars anyways :)

MRORANGE

How does Valve benefit by allowing people to have names about child molestation, rape, etc? I get really sick of seeing that garbage.

In all of Valve's games on Steam. I expect constant stupidity, offensive trash talk, etc, but it seems every server I hop into in CS:GO or TF2 I'm playing with someone with a name that's just unimaginably vile. I guess this is the wrong thread for this, and it seems people are desensitized to it, but whatever -- I was just curious as to why Valve doesn't have someone poking around making sure people don't have names involving child rape or molestation, or profile pictures like the person I traded with in TF2 earlier, which had a woman with what appeared to be an apple in her ass.

Edit: I'm finished. Was a simple question. Realize this thread is about consumerism and not Steam the platform.

late to answer, but it's kinda hard to stop this as you can use special characters, color coded message and symbol. Valve does let your report users on steam profiles for misconduct in offensive imagery and text.

There is a report function in tf2 for players names/avatars/cheating/other things as well, this will send a report directly to Valve who will look into the claim, I think there might be one for CS:GO as well now.

bonesquad

$15 if you buy the bundle.

Ah, I missed that (only saw the 2 pack deal). Still, that's $5 more than I expected. Not sure why I figured the package would be $10, but that was my price point. Though I read if you have the teams on iOS they will transfer to Steam. Hmm. (Still think the game is priced too high on Steam though:)

ShaneB

Come home and see that a friend gifted me Binary Domain. Excellent! I did gift him The Walking Dead during the summer sale since he was away, so tit for tat.

Ah, I missed that (only saw the 2 pack deal). Still, that's $5 more than I expected. Not sure why I figured the package would be $10, but that was my price point. Though I read if you have the teams on iOS they will transfer to Steam. Hmm. (Still think the game is priced too high on Steam though:)

I don't disagree...

But dude, hats.

Salsa

Hero Academy is pretty great, game client isnt. Way too clunky and slow specially after having played stuff like Frozen Synapse, wich works in the same way and is a lot snappier.

Are the hats timed exclusive? Will I be able to get the hats 6 months from now?

The way these have worked for the last year or so is you can get promo hats for free by crafting and drops and whatnot (sometimes you have to wait 2 weeks or so though), but they are loser regular hats. Whereas the hats you earn through promotions are marked as cool dude "Genuine" quality.

dani_dc

I for one am glad to see Binary Domain on sale again, I've been regretting passing it up (during Amazon sale, Steam sale and then the second Amazon sale) for the last week or two, I was thinking I wouldn't play it anytime soon and that by the time I got around it the game would be cheaper but lately I've had the urge to play the game, so I'm rather happy about having a second (well, fourth) chance to pick up the game at this price point again so soon.

Got a copy of Prey from Goozex. Thus a good trade. Same price as a steam sale would have cost.

As far as I recall the game is registable on Steam correct?
If so I should really track down a physical copy at some point, I recall seeing it on sale for cheap in several stores often enough, though I haven't looked for it recently.

TheBear

I'm coming close to filling my HDD with Steam games (750GB so far). I want to keep some games on this drive but shift the ones I don't play onto another, is this possible?

HoosTrax

I'm coming close to filling my HDD with Steam games (750GB so far). I want to keep some games on this drive but shift the ones I don't play onto another, is this possible?
I think there are two main tools -- I use Steam Mover.

Or just manually move the folders for the games you're not playing to another drive. Steam Mover's more for situations where you also want to be able to play the games on the other hard drive.

xJavonta

Banned
So it's actually an approved cross promotion? I wish they'd gotten the color orders right in that case, it looks like the Chrome flying saucer is upside down.

chrome_logo.gif

Wonder if they're getting rid of it for the Steam version and replacing it with Wheatley or something along those lines.

It's not a MOBA game is it? It has a very Dota 2 look about the visuals.

It rotates. That's why the colors are off place like that.

Also, it's a pretty fun game. I've only put 3 hours into it, but I enjoyed my time playing it. It's like a MOBA game, but there's a LOT more micromanagement than there is in League of Legends. I can't really compare it to DOTA 2 since I haven't put much time into that game and I suck at it.

yes. Im using an external 1.5TB USB-drive with a sym-link to use the 800+GB of every one of the ~175 games in my list that is downloaded on the USB-HDD.

I seem to remember reading around the time of its launch that Nexuiz wasn't considered to be that great. What exactly did/do people have a problem with?
I know before this free weekend absolutely no one was playing, so that's a bit of a problem considering the games main draw is multiplayer. Unless you really enjoy playing against bots. I tried it earlier - I had a couple of crashes straight up, not sure what the deal was there. As to the actual gameplay, it seems like fun. The mutators mix things up nicely and the game moves at a very fast speed. I decided to buy it, $2.50 isn't exactly breaking the bank... I'm sure I'll get a few hours of fun out of it at least.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
As far as I recall the game is registable on Steam correct?
If so I should really track down a physical copy at some point, I recall seeing it on sale for cheap in several stores often enough, though I haven't looked for it recently.
What I did. I just asked for the key, sent it, registered it on Steam. Good times.

HoosTrax

It rotates. That's why the colors are off place like that.
chrome2zc.png

Hmm, it's looks mirrored or upside down to me. I don't know why it bothers me so much, maybe because I always have the big Chrome icon on my taskbar.

Edit: No actually, looking at it closely, they definitely switched the yellow and green.

Or did you mean that the three sections randomly shuffle positions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom