• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
nkSDh.jpg

I am sorry but I replayed the whole series a while back and, man, RF2 was TURRRRRIBLE. One I still like a fair bit, even if it is a campy Half-Life rip-off. Geomod baby, it's where it's at.

But you ARE being funneled down a straight corridor the entire game. There basically aren't even any side passages or detours, just one long corridor. Beyond that though, what really soured me on Armageddon (that's a funny sentence if you make that A lower case, heh) was the horrible enemies. They all look the same and are incredibly boring to fight with no interesting gimmicks whatsoever. It may be worth it for a fiver, but I'd say only play it if you're really bored and have no other TPS you'd like to play.

It is linear, but there are open areas that you weave back and forth through in various parts. I liked the enemies because of the asymmetric combat, they'd cling on walls, they ceiling and come at you from all directions. I found RF:A's enemies far more appealing to fight than anything thrown at me in RF:G.

To each their own.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's a linear, story driven game but not so linear you literally feel like you're being funneled down a straight corridor. For what it's worth, I enjoyed Armageddon more than Guerrilla, I know that's not the general popular opinion but I've always enjoyed the more straight up shooter Red Factions. Except 2, no one likes 2. If they do they're bad people who should feel badly about themselves.

2 is terrible, but I didn't think RF1 was much better.

edit: I recently replayed the entire franchise as well, from start to finish.

I am sorry but I replayed the whole series a while back and, man, RF2 was TURRRRRIBLE. One I still like a fair bit, even if it is a campy Half-Life rip-off. Geomod baby, it's where it's at.

Well, it is easier to see years later what they were trying to do with it than at the time. The graphical jump from the first game (two years between) is rather sizable. Oh, and it's probably the first game to feature regenerative health (the Riddick system) and multiple ending based on moral.

It's hard to call that 'nothing' even though I won't pretend to suddenly like it either.

At least it didn't have that fucking incinerator and the robot. Or Capek...
Fuck me, that fight wasn't fun the first time and it felt like a cheating mess years later.

Still think Guerilla is a boring, bland game that I sadly completed thinking it was going to be something better at some point. Well, at least there are destruction side missions.... :'):')

Armageddon is kind of a sad story. It IS a better game than Guerrilla, and it is clearly intended as a direct reboot of the series, invoking red faction 1 stuff regularly (including the first aliens you see being directly based on their RF1 equivalent). And it has far more destruction than Guerrilla ever had. (not much at first though, but it ramps up)
But it suffers from all the stuff modern action games suffer from, and the fanbase had apparently moved on from RF1 to Guerrilla expectations. Critics were unable to see that tide, and the game is undeservedly thought of as 'worse' than its predecessor.

I'll admit it's been quite awhile since I've played the second game so maybe if I were to go through it again my opinion would be changed. The only thing I recall not liking was the short single player campaign. I doubt it's as much of a chore to go through as Guerilla was.

Armageddon is kind of a sad story. It IS a better game than Guerrilla, and it is clearly intended as a direct reboot of the series, invoking red faction 1 stuff regularly (including the first aliens you see being directly based on their RF1 equivalent). And it has far more destruction than Guerrilla ever had. (not much at first though, but it ramps up)
But it suffers from all the stuff modern action games suffer from, and the fanbase had apparently moved on from RF1 to Guerrilla expectations. Critics were unable to see that tide, and the game is undeservedly thought of as 'worse' than its predecessor.

Yeah, I'm sad we won't see a sequel to that. I felt it was the start of a new direction, but as you said people wanted another open world game. I guess as long as the world of Guerilla 2 wouldn't have been so bland I'd consider giving it a chance at least. Hopefully the franchise isn't actually dead.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'll admit it's been quite awhile since I've played the second game so maybe if I were to go through it again my opinion would be changed. The only thing I recall not liking was the short single player campaign. I doubt it's as much of a chore to go through as Guerilla was.
It is only like 3-4 hours long lol.

jediyoshi

wrsDL.png

AHH I NEED MORE

If
he ends up not being a robot
I'm working on the assumption that it is because there's some other completely batshit crazy plot twist instead. I already know I'll be playing this for the gameplay instead of the story and cutscenes anyway. Pretty bad IMO.

So if he is a robot, bad, if he isn't a robot, bad. It's like they can't lose!

I regret not playing the game on Apocalyptic; the game became increasingly easy once I started upgrading restoring War. Also, the game's achievement triggers break far too easily.

I'm glad I saw this before I started playing, Apocalyptic is giving me a nice challenge. And ditto on the achievements breaking. I'm working on the second gate and I haven't had an achievement pop yet even though according to the list I've earned a few.

Damn I don't remember it being that short.

it isn't. The total of completion times says '4 something hours' at the end, but there are plenty of deaths and boring rethreads of the "way too enemies in this section" kind.

It's roughly 6-8 hours in actual clock time. More 8 than 6. :\

Or maybe I'm getting old. lol? ...

At any rate, giving THQ's current predicament, it's safe to say the RF franchise is really quite dead for now. That, and there's only so much that one can do with the RF premise.

TGMIII

Is it still possible to VPN to other countries to activate games earlier. Got a key for Darksiders 2 and since it releases on the 21st in the EU I'm hoping I could just use a US VPN to activate and play early. I can do that right?

Salsa

Is it still possible to VPN to other countries to activate games earlier. Got a key for Darksiders 2 and since it releases on the 21st in the EU I'm hoping I could just use a US VPN to activate and play early. I can do that right?

yes, after all the recent ocurrences of people being blocked from buying by account of gifting through proxies and Valve negotiating a way for you not to sue them, this is the best possible time to jump over risky obstacles because of being unable to wait a couple days for a game.

Blizzard

Banned
It should be possible, but you do it at your own risk since technically I think they can terminate your account per the Steam user agreement if you use a VPN.

However, the general word seems to be that Valve does not take action on this unless you use a VPN to buy games in other regions. Like I said, it's at your own risk.

yes, after all the recent ocurrences of people being blocked from buying by account of gifting through proxies and Valve negotiating a way for you not to sue them, this is the best possible time to jump over risky obstacles because of being unable to wait a couple days for a game.
Wasn't the issue there people using VPN's to buy things in other regions, and/or gifting to themselves, rather than gifting cross-region, which has never caused problems as far as I know?

Salsa

Wasn't the issue there people using VPN's to buy things in other regions, and/or gifting to themselves, rather than gifting cross-region, which has never caused problems as far as I know?

that's what I meant by "gifting through proxies"

and I would never in a million years risk what awwyeahgurrl (lmao) is talking about

TGMIII

Jesus Christ, really? Could you have been any more passive aggressive. I'm asking a simple question, I want an answer not a discussion.

Has anyone been able to make a purchase through the Android app? When I try putting in my address it doesn't accept the state. Might be because the box is a normal text box and not a multi-choice dropdown like normal.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
it isn't. The total of completion times says '4 something hours' at the end, but there are plenty of deaths and boring rethreads of the "way too enemies in this section" kind.

It's roughly 6-8 hours in actual clock time. More 8 than 6. :\

Or maybe I'm getting old. lol? ...

At any rate, giving THQ's current predicament, it's safe to say the RF franchise is really quite dead for now. That, and there's only so much that one can do with the RF premise.

I'm going off the Steam counter, which has been remarkably accurate for me.

Salsa

Jesus Christ, really? Could you have been any more passive aggressive. I'm asking a simple question, I want an answer not a discussion.

uh, I apologize. Wasnt trying to come off like that at all?, was just making fun

I wouldnt even do it in offline mode to be honest. Your call.

TGMIII

report back after 21st if you can, i would need to know if i got you banned
KuGsj.gif

highly doubt it though

edit: i just remembered another option is to buy it on origin, you can do the same vpn trick but it doesnt check again like steam

I've activated stuff like this before, as have friends, but I it was a long time ago. Just wanted to check in case they had done something to stop it. If it has to be in offline mode the whole time I might just leave it but I've not had to be in offline mode for other stuff if I remember right.

uh, I apologize. Wasnt trying to come off like that at all?, was just making fun

If you meant it like that then my bad.

Salsa

I've activated stuff like this before, as have friends, but I it was a long time ago. Just wanted to check in case they had done something to stop it. If it has to be in offline mode the whole time I might just leave it but I've not had to be in offline mode for other stuff if I remember right.

If you meant it like that then my bad.

It came off way meaner than I intended, lol.

Thing is that even though they havent done anything in regards to stuff specifically like this, the whole VPN business is kinda frown uponed since the beggining and lately theyve been taking more action towards it (even if just with people who are gifting through using one).

If for some reason you absolutely cannot wait the extra couple days go for it I guess, but I wouldnt.

I have never seen anyone get banned for it, the vpn part of the SSA is mainly about purchasing games through VPN (Which can get you banned.)
Wasn't aware you needed to use offline mode though, is that a recent change?

TGMIII

It came off way meaner than I intended, lol.

Thing is that even though they havent done anything in regards to stuff specifically like this, the whole VPN business is kinda frown uponed since the beggining and lately theyve been taking more action towards it (even if just with people who are gifting through using one).

If for some reason you absolutely cannot wait the extra couple days go for it I guess, but I wouldnt.

The way I always seen them talk about it, before the recent talks, was that they just turned a blind eye to people activating games early in different regions but buying was always frowned upon. Having to stay in offline mode is new from what I can remember so I might just give it a miss because of that. I'm pretty sure a few friends will activate their keys via VPN so I guess I'll let you know what happens.

The whole reason the practice is frowned upon is due to people bypassing regional restrictions to pay less for games, which hurts steam and their partners profits. Playing a game you already paid for a few days earlier has no negative impact on steam, so they don't seem to care. It's technically "risky" but realistically fine.
It wouldn't be problem if some publishers didn't insist on releasing games a week later in some regions for no good reason. Always kind of baffling, especially when we're talking about a digitally distributed game you've already pre-loaded.

iNvid02

^ gotta agree, digital release dates should be uniform no matter what - its probably one of the major contributors to people resorting to piracy

MRORANGE

^ gotta agree, digital release dates should be uniform no matter what - its probably one of the major contributors to people resorting to piracy

I would have said the same before, especially with Russia getting delayed games (talking weeks here) but then you have portal 2 which got released globally at the same time and it has a 1:1 ratio of people who bought it and pirates.

regional release dates still blows. DS2 gets released a week later here instead of the 14th.

DTKT

Does Jade Empire get better a few hours in? The game just turned into a shitty java space invader shooter.

That moment had me question the sanity of Bioware.

HoosTrax

Am I going crazy or are there some uncanny similarities in the combat between Darksiders and Kingdoms of Amalur? The combos, the finisher moves, the "god mode" that you need to charge up to use.

Rufus

Seems to be a ton better than the xbox version. What problem are you having with it?
Whenever the fighting starts the animations get choppy and generally slow, the sound cuts out randomly (fighting noises, ambient stuff and dialogue just disappears) and to top it off it just crashed on me. I tried some of the stuff mentioned on the Steam forums, to no avail. I'm on Win 7 64bit, which probably doesn't help matters much. edit: Getting errors when I try to run it in compatibility mode. I'm already tired of this shit.

derExperte

Yeah, there were bannings years ago if people overdid it with their VPN-use. Like I did once. So I don't think anything has really changed in practice and before someone gets specifically banned for unlocking a game early I wouldn't worry too much. They always had this stuff in their licence agreement, it's just formulated a bit more clearly now. And I know people who have bought something via VPN very recently and still have their accounts.

Rufus

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18398432/images/1332304923407.gif
Dunno man, the writing doesn't have me thrilled so far and combat seems awkward and unresponsive, though for now I'd chalk that up to the technical difficulties I'm having. I'm inclined to agree with him, regardless.

DTKT

Dunno man, the writing doesn't have me thrilled so far and combat seems awkward and unresponsive, though for now I'd chalk that up to the technical difficulties I'm having. I'm inclined to agree with him, regardless.

I tend to agree. Most of the characters I've seen so far are pretty bland.

It doesn't help that it's one hell of an ugly game. And I don't have "this is Starwars" goggles which make almost everything tolerable.

And with that, there goes my ideas.

I remember my internet browser actually doing that before. Kept repeating the task manager problem till it worked.

I don't know, it tends to be wonky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom