• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xelios didn't seem to care for the first Adam's Venture and stopped there going by his recommendation on Steam.

Adam's Venture is a 3rd person 3D puzzle adventure where you have set up base camp at what you believe to be the gates to the Garden of Eden, and must navigate the desert ruins below for the fragments needed to unlock it. The game clocks in at just over 2 hours, involves no combat & very little platforming.

This episode was mostly a disappointment. Movement & camera often work against each other, although you quickly adapt. The real letdown is the core content: childlike puzzles & linear exploration. Literally half the puzzles in the game are posts containing 3 phrases which you must rotate into order, and are insulting to the intelligence of anyone capable of reading (see in my screenshots).

Another puzzle repeated throughout the game is a 3x3 grid of roman numerals where being able to add to 10 is vital. Only two original and interesting puzzles exist in the entire game. Graphics & VA are a mixed bag, soundtrack is surprisingly good.

This is the end of the 'venture for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Adam's Venture episodes comprise today's Daily: $4.41 for the Complete Pack or $1.69 individually.

iTANS5DZVILBb.gif

Hmmm it looks like Syndicate is $6. I think I'm going to buy it. Forgive me, Gabe-sama. ._.
That singleplayer was so undercooked. Such a waste of potential.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey guys, there is an app for this but it didn't work for me so I did it in skin mod form. Increased Steam font sizes!

http://www.filedropper.com/biggersteamfonts

The simple instructions are in the readme. I did it as a skin but you should be able to modify these values for any current skin. What I did was go through and enlarge nearly every single font in Steam by 2 points so it's larger but doesn't start pressing on whatever padding is in place, since I wasn't sure how to modify padding values and even if I could, that would probably require modifying whole table values once you go too far with it.

The more important point here is that I significantly increased chat window font sizes. So if you're fairly blind and run 1080p (or larger, you poor bastard) this should be as a gift from the gods.

I can finally stop using windows magnifier, which made cursors in games disappear if I had left it open...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got Toki Tori on the daily deal and I've been playing it quite a bit, lots of fun. However this level is giving me a headache. The radioactive green may have something to do with it as well. The hard levels for this world must be hell.

Hmmm it looks like Syndicate is $6. I think I'm going to buy it. Forgive me, Gabe-sama. ._.

Based off of what I've been able to force myself to play through, I'd say 6$ is about what Syndicate is worth. Such an unimaginative waste of a great game and because the fps did poorly it's likely going to be a looooong time before we see another game with that name. Which is probably a good thing.

It's not that Syndicate is a terrible game, it's just such a middling, linear, story-driven fps with some neat visuals and under-developed mechanics (the whole hack the world and your enemies thing).

Syndicate makes me appreciate the new Xcom all the more.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Xelios didn't seem to care for the first Adam's Venture and stopped there going by his recommendation on Steam.

Among the worst adventure games I've ever played, without thinking too hard about it. The 3d added nothing to the game except a shitty camera and walking to pad the time between "puzzles".

As much of a hoarder as I am on Steam I'm still not buying the 2nd and 3rd episode.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn I'd forgotten how good Deus Ex: HR was. 2011 was such an amazing year for gaming. I have no idea why I'd stopped playing it, and now I'm about 70% done with it. Definitely adding the Missing Link DLC to my wishlist.

Rufus

So, running Steam as administrator fixed both the crashing and the sound problems in Jade Empire. What. The animation is still crap, but the combat is shallow as fuck anyway, so... Gonna stick it out, I heard it's fairly short, anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow if I knew Alan Wake was gonna be that good I would've played it earlier. Anyone knows how to turn off the motion blur?

1-D_FTW

So, running Steam as administrator fixed both the crashing and the sound problems in Jade Empire. What. The animation is still crap, but the combat is shallow as fuck anyway, so... Gonna stick it out, I heard it's fairly short, anyway.

Must be fairly common with the game, because when I downloaded some fixes for 3D vision from Helix Mod, there was a special note about needing to run from admin if you were having troubling running/saving. Didn't remember that until you just pointed it out, since I run admin anyways.

1-D_FTW

It would be more assholish not to warn him. His whole Steam account could get wiped forever.

Plus, how is it not a discussion? Nobody can answer that question because nobody here works for Valve and has the answer. Thus it's either ignored or given a "discussion" answer. Not sure how anybody could have taken offense to the answer discussion.

Dice

Haha, the original bots were obviously made to fight original CS players, which is actually not the core audience of people in the CS:GO beta because they would often dominate the matches I played in Arms Race. As a new player, it did feel like somewhat of an achievement to beat them, but I could see how just a bit of experience would put me well above them, like the occasional experienced player we would get who would win 12-15 points ahead of everyone. If they lowered the bots to the new common denominator, they must really suck. Kind of stupid to do when there are a ton of CS players that will buy it on launch day.

MRORANGE

Haha, the original bots were obviously made to fight original CS players, which is actually not the core audience of people in the CS:GO beta because they would often dominate the matches I played in Arms Race. As a new player, it did feel like somewhat of an achievement to beat them, but I could see how just a bit of experience would put me well above them, like the occasional experienced player we would get who would win 12-15 points ahead of everyone. If they lowered the bots to the new common denominator, they must really suck. Kind of stupid to do when there are a ton of CS players that will buy it on launch day.

I agree, I was a terrible CS player 10 years ago and no good in CS:S but in this game I'm unlocking several achievements every single round.

HoosTrax

1) Did you crop that screenshot? I'm confused by the dimensions.
2) What's with the foliage (or thinly concealed sky box) near the right side horizon? It looks...squashed?
3) Why is there a new CS game using the game engine :s (couldn't they have waited for Source 2)
4) That looks kind of similar to the Boathouse from L4D...
3) Dat old school woodland camo

MRORANGE

1) Did you crop that screenshot? I'm confused by the dimensions.
2) What's with the foliage (or thinly concealed sky box) near the right side horizon? It looks...squashed?
3) Why is there a new CS game using the game engine :s (couldn't they have waited for Source 2)
4) That looks kind of similar to the Boathouse from L4D...
3) Dat old school woodland camo

Source can let you use almost any resolution parameter, just go to game properties and set launch properties type "-window -h 800 - w 1910" change the numbers to whatever

looks like a skybox

I have no idea why they didn't wait on source 2, would have made much more sense, we already have a very popular CS source game.

Sarcasm

I just finished both Deus Ex HR & Missing Link. I enjoyed them..now to play the originals...which do I play? I have war & GOTY..and how do I play them? I tried a couple times once but I got turned off due to something like shooting a guard in the head with a dart did nothing but alert.

I just finished both Deus Ex HR & Missing Link. I enjoyed them..now to play the originals...which do I play? I have war & GOTY..and how do I play them? I tried a couple times once but I got turned off due to something like shooting a guard in the head with a dart did nothing but alert.
Play GOTY. Get the kentie launcher to fix any bugs the game experiences on modern OSes. http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm

The darts are slow acting, they'll be alerted when they're hit, but they'll run around a bit and pass out. The first mission gives a rough first impression, endure it and gets better shortly after.

Blizzard

Banned
The new vision mod, I can not find a download for it =/
Unless you're super allergic to old graphics (and cheesy voice acting, which you're going to have anyway), I don't think you really need much besides the DX10 renderer. It should be linked from that page. I don't think it's going to look too amazing no matter what you do. Presumably the gameplay is what people remember fondly, though I personally may not have made it past the lighthouse.

The new vision mod, I can not find a download for it =/
I don't know how necessary it is for you, but I tend to avoid texture packs anyhow, 3D stuff from 2000 isn't that hard on the eyes. It's still on ModDB in any case. http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

On the kentie site only the launcher is necessary, it helps avoid some speed issues and such, also helps with setting proper resolutions. You can grab the DX10 renderer too but it doesn't make much of a difference unless you're going for New Vision.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Unreal Revolution is probably more your speed if you started with HR.

Sarcasm

I don't know how necessary it is for you, but I tend to avoid texture packs anyhow, 3D stuff from 2000 isn't that hard on the eyes. It's still on ModDB in any case. http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

On the kentie site only the launcher is necessary, it helps avoid some speed issues and such, also helps with setting proper resolutions. You can grab the DX10 renderer too but it doesn't make much of a difference unless you're going for New Vision.

Yeah finally a download that works the mod site says not found same for torrent but the 3rd link worked!

Unreal Revolution is probably more your speed if you started with HR.

If this makes non lethal moves easier than maybe, only thing I am missing is the tap q (or hold q).

So if someone is sending me money over paypal from Vietnam, and they dont have the Personal > Gift option, which of these should they choose?

Shared expenses | Rental charges | Payment owed | Others

If I remember right if the send it through the purchase option then it will take the fees out on my end.

Dice

So if you spent money on indigala bundles and built up galapoints, you can now use those points to... get games from the bundles you bought...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So if you spent money on indigala bundles and built up galapoints, you can now use those points to... get games from the bundles you bought...

You might not have bought a bundle if only a single game interested you, so you can now buy it alone.

Dice

I almost feel like getting the original Hacker Evolution so I have the whole trilogy, even though I'll probably never play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom