• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
And with that, there goes my ideas.

I remember my internet browser actually doing that before. Kept repeating the task manager problem till it worked.

I don't know, it tends to be wonky.

OK, it opened. Had to do a restart, mess around with the compatibility settings (and in the end I didn't change anything), do another restart, and it worked.

Damn this client is a mess. They should seriously start improving it, last major overhaul was back in the first months of 2010.

Did you at any point try deleting ClientRegistry.blob?

No, just tried changing the compatibility settings to Win XP SP2, it said it can't run under these settings, I did it anyway, it started running as a process (previously it just hang at around 19000 k) but did not show up in the desktop, terminated it, changed the comp settings back to what they were and restarted. Problem fixed.

Tess3ract

Banned
No, just tried changing the compatibility settings to Win XP SP2, it said it can't run under these settings, I did it anyway, it started running as a process (previously it just hang at around 19000 k) but did not show up in the desktop, terminated it, changed the comp settings back to what they were and restarted. Problem fixed.
For the future, if you ever have a problem with steam the very first thing you should do is delete that file.

Hero Academy seems pretty fun so far. I'm awful at it but I'm already wishing they would finish the Android version so I could get more practice.

Same name there as here if anyone wants to viciously beat me.

Salsa

played about two hours of All Zombies Must Die! on local co-op with a buddy today.

Game's fun, I dont know if i'd play through it as an SP experience since it's very repetitive and there's even sort of a "grinding" mechanic going on (going back to areas to farm items, etc), but the gameplay's good enough that it's a good time playing local multiplayer.

Did you at any point try deleting ClientRegistry.blob?

vanity-fair-robert-pa6hktk.png

played about two hours of All Zombies Must Die! on local co-op with a buddy today.

Game's fun, I dont know if i'd play through it as an SP experience since it's very repetitive and there's even sort of a "grinding" mechanic going on (going back to areas to farm items, etc), but the gameplay's good enough that it's a good time playing local multiplayer.
Is this a mode in Orcs Must Die 2? I was wondering about the game recently, does it features better tech or performance in comparison to the original?

1-D_FTW

I tend to agree. Most of the characters I've seen so far are pretty bland.

It doesn't help that it's one hell of an ugly game. And I don't have "this is Starwars" goggles which make almost everything tolerable.

I think you're on to something there. Maybe that's my biggest problem with the game too.

I think people have pointed out my other big issue with the game: animation. It is jank. And even playing with a controller, movement feels really digital and the animation is just really harsh. I'd still place writing/VA as my biggest complaint. But control/animation probably jumps ahead of aged graphics in my list of issues.

I think I'm going to beat Jade Empire next. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Challenge issued.

Challenge accepted.

I think I'm going to beat Jade Empire next. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

While you're at it line up a playthrough of these other amazing Steam games:

• Velvet Assassin
  • Twin Sector
  • Deus Ex Invisible War
  • Hydrophibia
  • Need For Speed Undercover
  • Cryostatis
  • Alice Madness Retuns
  • Splinter Cell Double Agent
  • Section 8

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
While you're at it line up a playthrough of these other amazing Steam games:

• Velvet Assassin - will probably never buy
  • Twin Sector - will probably never buy
  • Deus Ex Invisible War - on tap
  • Hydrophibia
  • Need For Speed Undercover - on tap
  • Cryostatis - on tap
  • Alice Madness Retuns
  • Splinter Cell Double Agent
  • Section 8 - pretend it doesn't exist
Partial progress

Worst games played this year:
-Alien Breed Trilogy
-Jurassic Park
-Serious Sam 3
-Painkiller: Overdose
-3rd run of Resident Evil 5 (wake up call)
-Need for Speed: The Run

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Partial progress

-Alien Breed Trilogy
-Jurassic Park
-Serious Sam 3

I'm sad. I'm sad because it's fucking true, I loved the serious sam games to death and had high hopes for the, what turned out to be, garbage bag filled with shit of a game.

DOA

It's a linear, story driven game but not so linear you literally feel like you're being funneled down a straight corridor. For what it's worth, I enjoyed Armageddon more than Guerrilla, I know that's not the general popular opinion but I've always enjoyed the more straight up shooter Red Factions. Except 2, no one likes 2. If they do they're bad people who should feel badly about themselves.

i liked 2. although i did play it before the first one.

Rufus

OK, now Jade Empire crashes every two minutes (literally). I'll keep trying for a bit more, but if that doesn't stop once I leave the area I'm done.

JordanKZ

I've managed to clear The Darkness II and Alan Wakes American Nightmare off my backlog this weekend. Both short but entertaining titles. I sure hope Remedy do something with the combat in the next Wake game though...

Next up is Binary Domain...

Downloaded 16gb* of GTA IV on my crappy DSL, boot it up. Error, you need Windows Vista SP1. I am a Windows 7 user. 700mb patch.

Can't wait until I load it up and it inevitably says I need a dozen GFWL and title updates.
I've managed to clear The Darkness II and Alan Wakes American Nightmare off my backlog this weekend. Both short but entertaining titles. I sure hope Remedy do something with the combat in the next Wake game though...
Agreed, they really need to. It's wearing thin.

HoosTrax

Downloaded 16g*b of GTA IV on my crappy DSL, boot it up. Error, you need Windows Vista SP1. I am a Windows 7 user. 700mb patch.

Can't wait until I load it up and it inevitably says I need a dozen GFWL and title updates.

Agreed, they really need to. It's wearing thin.
Never had this issue in Windows 7. Maybe having Liberty City installed automatically patches this.

I haven't played American Nightmare yet, but I enjoyed the combat of Alan Wake. That said, the game didn't really leave me wanting more Alan Wake, so I'd prefer it if Remedy moved on to something else.

Salsa

I'm sad. I'm sad because it's fucking true, I loved the serious sam games to death and had high hopes for the, what turned out to be, garbage bag filled with shit of a game.

worst thing about it was it's awful super CPU heavy optimization really

legacyzero

Banned
I just bought Lost Planet 2. What have I done....

Partial progress

-Alien Breed Trilogy
-Jurassic Park
-Serious Sam 3
Stallion, you didn't like Serious Sam 3?? It wasn't THAT bad, was it?? I remember enjoying it enough to get 3/4 through the game and havn't picked it up since. #backlog

Nabs

I just beat American Nightmare this morning. I thought it was alright. I went straight from AW, so the camera felt a little weird to me. Good thing this is PC gaming and I can change things to my liking. I just added -rigidcamera to the launch options and it felt better.

Blizzard

Banned
Oddly enough the posts kinda make me want to play it too. I think someone gave it to me as a birthday present years ago. I'm a pretty big fan of both the original KOTOR games, but I do like the Star Wars universe so the setting might be part of it.

Hmm it's 10 bucks on the US site. Not gonna get it though since it can't be redeemed on Steam and I don't trust gamersgate to stay in business to let me redownload in the future.

Uh huh. This is a bit like arguing you don't trust GameStop/Impulse staying in business to letting you redownload in the future. Hell, I'd put Gamersgate above GSImpulse in the digital distributor rankings.

Blizzard

Banned
I just beat American Nightmare this morning. I thought it was alright. I went straight from AW, so the camera felt a little weird to me. Good thing this is PC gaming and I can change things to my liking. I just added -rigidcamera to the launch options and it felt better.
More to the point, thanks to the Alan Wake developers for taking some pains to add features (such as launch options) for PC players. If I recall correctly, they added a patch or two to the original Alan Wake to add stuff like free camera.

Xanathus

Uh huh. This is a bit like arguing you don't trust GameStop/Impulse staying in business to letting you redownload in the future. Hell, I'd put Gamersgate above GSImpulse in the digital distributor rankings.
Yes.... I don't trust Impulse either so what's your point? I only buy Steamworks games from them unless they have a deal that's crazy cheap. Maybe Origin exclusive games too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Even though all my adventure games are sitting in backlog, I'd be all over that pack if I could

Edit: I'd get Sonic CD before it, though.

Blizzard

Banned
The Adam's Venture episodes comprise today's Daily: $4.41 for the Complete Pack or $1.69 individually.
I added this to my cart and then changed my mind. The only metacritic review of episode 2 seemed to say it was crappy compared to the first episode, and then a review elsewhere of episode 3 said that the ending wasn't as good as the second episode, so overall reviews seem to say the games are kind of repetitive and not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom