• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cade

Absolutely. Just remember that the Portal lineage starts and ends with its mechanics and puzzle design.

Tinypic is banned here on the count of the service reassigning URLs, which has been known to result in some older images suddenly becoming NSFW.

Don't worry, as long as it's fun I don't mind if it's not as cleverly written as one of the industries's most clever games.

I'll go ahead and take the plunge.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
qcsteam.png

it's right there, right under the price!

I've already saved him. He is part of my flock now.

ShaneB

The only reason why GMG is doing well is because of Steam.

You can say this for a lot of digital retailers. The first question that always gets asked is "does it activate on Steam?!"

So the more games that are Steamworks/whatever, the more likely folks are going to care that their games can be bought in multiple places. It's why something like Deus Ex going on sale isn't a big deal because it's on sale every week at some site!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I had an erotic dream that the Steam Sale started and I was getting a massage from some big meaty hands while stocking up on games at 75% or more.

I woke up and the cat was kneading my shoulder blades and purring in my ear. I rolled over and Gabe said "Good morning would you me to make you some Daily Deals?"

I woke up for real and my wife was looking at me funny. I raced down the stairs to see if Gabe had come down the chimney and left Steam Wallet cards under my PC but he hadn't.

Waiting another week is going to suck.

Derrick01

Banned
Is the original Deus Ex similar to Deus Ex Human Revolution? Did a stealth playtrough on HR and I liked it. Wonder if it's more/less action based and all that.

Kind of. You'll have a hard time going stealth in Deus Ex 1 and succeeding like you did in HR, the game and AI is not set up well for it. It has far better exploration and level design though, all time great level design really. It took people years to find some of the secrets and optional things you could do.

MRORANGE

You can say this for a lot of digital retailers. The first question that always gets asked is "does it activate on Steam?!"

but others have found a niche to expand there userbase without needing Steam to rely on, GOG with it's extended support, Amazon with it's instant price matching and offering DRM free games.

Don't get me wrong GMG does deliver a good service to people who use it, but it's heavily reliant on Steam to push sales.

ShaneB

but others have found a niche to expand there userbase without needing Steam to rely on, GOG with it's extended support, Amazon with it's instant price matching and offering DRM free games.

Don't get me wrong GMG does deliver a good service to people who use it, but it's heavily reliant on Steam to push sales.

Fair enough, and I can understand. I love all of those examples, especially GOG (I love love love that sleek website, and retro gaming goodness).

Just saying that if I was an online retailer, I'd be praying every game had the option to activate on Steam knowing it brings in that much more attention to a sale.

Phinor

Deal breaker for me, I was looking forward to getting it.

Couple of people having issues with a new game was deal breaker? The resolution problem isn't very common.

Though, don't get me wrong, the game does have the usual issues most Unreal engine games have. For FOV, you have to go through config files, for mouse acceleration, the same. But at least they are fixable issues - some other Unreal games have actually locked the critical config files.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Couple of people having issues with a new game was deal breaker? The resolution problem isn't very common.

Though, don't get me wrong, the game does have the usual issues most Unreal engine games have. For FOV, you have to go through config files, for mouse acceleration, the same. But at least they are fixable issues - some other Unreal games have actually locked the critical config files.

Q.U.B.E., a project put together by a couple students, had none of those issues. It had some actual options in the menu.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Q.U.B.E., a project put together by a couple students, had none of those issues. It had some actual options in the menu.

A distinct lack of advanced video/graphics options seems to be common amongst multiplatform UE3 releases, which is strange considering the bevy of such settings tucked away in the ini files.

inky

Does Quantum Conundrum pick up? What I saw in the Giantbomb Quicklook looked pretty terrible, but sometimes it boils down to the dude presenting the game, so idk.

Blizzard

Banned
A distinct lack of advanced video/graphics options seems to be common amongst multiplatform UE3 releases, which is strange considering the bevy of such settings tucked away in the ini files.
From messing with the UDK, I felt like it would be a pain to get some sort of graphical system set up to modify/write/whatever config files.

It's probably possible, and perhaps even easy, but I could see how someone wouldn't do it.

Mirror's Edge came out ages ago with its decent AA options (though I got white speckles with 8xQAA and don't know how to fix that), and I never did find a way to reproduce it. For a while I think only 4xMSAA was supported even in the ini files.

What the fuck is Dota 2 doing to my hard drive? It's like it's raping it with every update.
If you dig back through the thread, you may find several posts by me and other people complaining about this. I think my hard disk typically goes crazy loud for 5-10 minutes, and for maybe 5 of those the system can become almost completely unresponsive. My vague understanding of it is that due to the new Steam content system, some huge amount of game files get copied to a temporary directory, then patched in place, then copied back. I don't know if DOTA 2 is just especially bad at this, or if we can look forward to any game on Steam doing this in the future.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From messing with the UDK, I felt like it would be a pain to get some sort of graphical system set up to modify/write/whatever config files.

It's probably possible, and perhaps even easy, but I could see how someone wouldn't do it.

Mirror's Edge came out ages ago with its decent AA options (though I got white speckles with 8xQAA and don't know how to fix that), and I never did find a way to reproduce it. For a while I think only 4xMSAA was supported even in the ini files.

Odd, although not entirely unexpected, I suppose, given UE3's X360 roots.

Blizzard

Banned
Odd, although not entirely unexpected, I suppose, given UE3's X360 roots.
That's just my very uneducated opinion though, since I've never made a full game with the UDK. It's enough of a pain for me to make any sort of GUI system, settings aside, since using it basically requires a non-free Flash creation tool for ScaleForm (unless you make virtually everything from scratch/images using AS3).

If you dig back through the thread, you may find several posts by me and other people complaining about this. I think my hard disk typically crazy loud for 5-10 minutes, and for maybe 5 of those the system can become almost completely unresponsive. My vague understanding of it is that due to the new Steam content system, some huge amount of game files get copied to a temporary directory, then patched in place, then copied back. I don't know if DOTA 2 is just especially bad at this, or if we can look forward to any game on Steam doing this in the future.

Thanks for the answer. I hope no other game starts doing this, that would be terrible.

Blizzard

Banned
I just cited QUBE like ten posts up.
I think I'm just restating my posts at this point, but I was pointing out that I've worked with the UDK, I could see how it might be a pain to do that particular thing, and I could see how small teams might not do it and might instead prioritize other things.

Note that I did not say no one would do it. I didn't even say small teams would not do it! I merely said that I could see how some teams might not, since I don't think it's perfectly straightfoward.

Nabs

Lego Batman 2 is now out on Steam

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213330/

LEGO® Batman 2 DC Super Heroes™ is Now Available on Steam and 10% off until 10AM PST Friday, June 29th. Owners of LEGO Batman, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 or LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 get an additional 5% off.

LEGO Batman is also available at 33% off until 10AM PST Friday, June 29th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom