• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I wish I could just give my DOTA 2 Beta to someone that would enjoy it, I just couldnt get into it
I put about 6 hours into it today, and I *think* I like it so far. I mean it's absurdly overwhelming (although the official wiki definitely helps), but the deepness is kind of appealing at the same time.

It sort of reminds me of this MMO I played once that had a 6v6 team arena event. No matter how many times you ran it, it would still be fun because it was fun to experiment with different strategies and team compositions.

I'm still kind of lost and only really had success with Drow Ranger, but did manage to win three botmatches.

catabarez

Whenever I have to ask myself that question it's probably a no. From what I read the game is abit of a console port and has no graphics options outside resolution.

I was just wondering if this seemed worth it to anybody. I know next to nothing about this game lol.

I put about 6 hours into it today, and I *think* I like it so far. I mean it's absurdly overwhelming (although the official wiki definitely helps), but the deepness is kind of appealing at the same time.

It sort of reminds me of this MMO I played once that had a 6v6 team arena event. No matter how many times you ran it, it would still be fun because it was fun to experiment with different strategies and team compositions.

I'm still kind of lost and only really had success with Drow Ranger, but did manage to win three botmatches.
I've played a out the same amount and yeah, it's overwhelming. I like it though. I'm going to wait for the Mac version to be released though because my Mac is more accessible for that type of game. Hopefully not too much more of a wait on that version.

eosos

Banned
Anyone know of any fixes for FPS issues in Deus EX? When I start playing it runs very smoothly, but after about a minute the FPS starts dropping real fast. I have no idea whats wrong and lowering the settings does nothing. I have a GTX 480 if that helps at all.

jarosh

I've got two codes here that I don't need (from the Be Mine 3 bundle).

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Avernum: The Second Trilogy

Anyone interested?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmmmmmm…

lNYoP.png

Had heard Resonance got delayed due to some kind of mix up and possibly because of Steam sale, Resonance is on sale July 25th.

I'd welcome a later sale period, since I should have my tax back by then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quote for the following keys:

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Hamilton's Great Adventure

As always, please post if you use one.

Edit: Gone.

Card Boy

Banned
If anyone has a spare Avernum 2 collection key I am willing to trade for the bonus games in Humble Bundle 5 (Lone Survivor, Braid, Super Meat Boy)

Cade

I was just wondering if this seemed worth it to anybody. I know next to nothing about this game lol.

I've played it for a few hours. It's got some bugs (a lot of people can't get the resolution above 1280x768p [me included]) but it's pretty fun.

Telaso

Banned
I'm hoping ARMA2:CO is on sale this year. I want to get some friends into DayZ but they wont pay 30 bucks for it.....

If its one of the crazy 10 dollar deals thing, they wont have a choice!

Helmholtz

I'm hoping ARMA2:CO is on sale this year. I want to get some friends into DayZ but they wont pay 30 bucks for it.....

If its one of the crazy 10 dollar deals thing, they wont have a choice!
Same here. Interested in checking it out if it's on sale. Would probably bite at $10 or less.

Wok

Finished up my fresh pc build last night with a new GTX670. My body is ready for (winter) steam sales.
Feels good having that 670 huh? After I put my 680 in, I was stoked to get back into PC gaming. I had a 460 sli setup and kinda got out of PC for awhile and went back to consoles. Since 680, I haven't turned on my consoles in over a month and a half. I am so ready for this summer sale.

Played a bit with Sweden, game crashed, beat Prince with the Celts and am now playing a Prince game with Carthage.

+ No tech dead ends for military units. Every constructed unit can be promoted. Some promotions are still constrained by resources.
+ Religion provides some serious incentive to use the Piety Policy track. Religion adds a few more bonuses (cultural/monetary/faith/science) of your choosing. These bonuses are as effective as how far and wide you've spread your religion.
+ Relations with city states are slightly more complex. A wider variety of quests to gain influence and meddling through espionage have been added so it's more than simply provide gold for x turns of loyalty.
+ Tech trees have been altered a bit and some additions have been made. There are more natural wonders in the game and more wonders to build.
+ New Civs seem to be designed to encourage a wide variety of play styles/policy track usage.

= Naval combat has been significantly reworked. In Vanilla all naval units were capable of indirect fire and could attack land units. Now there are two classes of naval units, ones that can only attack other naval units and naval units still capable of indirect fire and can attack on the land and sea units.
= Religious emissaries can cross borders regardless of whether or not you have open borders with their Civ.
= Military units now have 100 hitpoints instead of 10. Combat seems a bit longer and more drawn out.
= Advisor spam is almost continuous for every step of the game, great if you're a new player but you'll want to disable every dialogue that comes up otherwise.

- You can't ever go back and play Civ V Vanilla, the expansion and Vanilla aren't separate. You don't have another entry in your library for Gods & Kings.
- A.I. is still, by and large, mindlessly aggressive.
- Victory through conquest seems the predominant path for the A.I. still.
- Shared religion doesn't seem dramatically alter the A.I.'s behaviour.
- The size of your standing army is still what dictates how hostile an A.I. will be. Relations leading up to the hostilities are meaningless. Your technological, production and economic capabilities don't seem to factor in.
- Threadbare diplomatic options for negotiating with other Civs. The A.I. always had more options for interaction than the player in Civ V Vanilla, the disparity is even larger in Gods & Kings.
- The A.I. can snipe your religious emissaries without any consequence, the A.I. can plead with you to not prothletise to their people, the player can only attempt to box out their emissaries with other units or declare war by seizing a religious emissary. You have no means of peaceably ejecting a religious emissary from your territory. It's war or lose whatever advantages your religion is providing you in that city if you don't have enough Faith currency to create an Inquisitor and then an emissary for your own religion.
- Espionage starts far too late in the game, ramps up too slowly. There should be some sort of complex information brokering system here, instead it's basically the equivalent of spending a great scientist to get a free tech or a way to buy city-state influence without spending gold. Might be more valuable in Immortal and Deity runs.

jediyoshi

Same here. Interested in checking it out if it's on sale. Would probably bite at $10 or less.

Considering it's already $10 off the price of the 2 games it contains, I imagine it'd be around another $10 off from a sale. The pack itself has never had a sale price but the two games separately have dipped below $20 adding their lowest prices.

Working my way through my list of games on Steam, since I have played less than 50% of them...

header_292x136.jpg

At first its slightly overwhelming, which is often the case with these types of games. You control a fleet of ships within your own space empire and have to expand and control as much of the galaxy as you can. Sounds simple, only the AI is ruthless, in a good way - It adapts.

Ah so you're coming through that portal! Well, I'll build some nice turrets and kill you. HA! Stupid scout ships.
Wait... you're using that portal now. Well... more turrets hahahahah... wait... those aren't scout ships those are different ships. Well different turrets will stop them. Then the AI Changes its tactics again feint attacks at the strong side, while slipping in stealth ships at the weak side. WHAT THE HELL.

Dead within 15minutes. Yet, I'm hooked. I want to know more, I want to get better at this game. I want to play it. I'm in that strange place between enjoyment and frustration - challenged.

There is a menu that you can unclick the expansions stuff. It's under the DLC menu all the way at the bottom.

Nice! I may actually jump back into Vanilla at some point. I kind of miss rolling with a fleet of destroyers and battleships, obliterating cities, land and sea units alike.

Wanace

Woohoo, DX:HR DLC for $4.73 total for both packs and Missing Link. Can't pass it up. Anyone who still doesn't have DX:HR would be stupid not to buy the game at this point.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't remember: Were the former summer sale dates announced before they actually started, or was it just sale start out of the blue? Also, they usually started on a friday, right?

I can't remember: Were the former summer sale dates announced before they actually started, or was it just sale start out of the blue? Also, they usually started on a friday, right?

Normally you just wake up and there are sales everywhere. It is a glorious feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom