• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

I'm partial to the sale before the Holiday sale.

I'm too lazy to post a screenie of my Wishlist Winner e-mails, but it certainly belongs since we're talking about favorite sales.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OMG

Finally got to play Fray.

And this game is so unbelievably bad, I... am speechless.

On top of those issues:

Fray finally works now, but I couldnt test it yet. It also still seems like the servers might be a bit too strained. People get randomly kicked from the chat server.

A few immediate impressions after reading the tutorials though:

- While its turn based MP, there is a time element to it, since being the first to end a turn will give you a bonus for your characters
- 4 player deathmatch is the only available mode at the moment (7 kills to win). While there is a wide range of possible squad setups (maybe even equipment configurations), the basic gameplay options are rather limited.
- Absolutely no SP content. Not even training missions, which is bad form in my opinion. You can't even "try" things without a time constraint due to point 1.
- Tutorials are completely barebones and are not even close to explaining the game. Lots of missing sections. Clearly an afterthought that was just pushed in right before the launch.
- There is a very in depth upgrade system for each class, which in itself looks fun, but also greatly weighs down on new players who dont yet have upgrades. I couldnt try them yet, but it seems likely that new players will have a hard time getting into the game against levelled ones.
- The match making system is rather unsmart, since they tried to keep it as close to "usual" FPS matchmaking as possible without considering their own genre. FS gave you a quick option to invite every player who might want to play. Here players need to go into a server list, to check for and open up games, which greatly reduces the open games at a time.
- You need to stick to one game after you started it. Exiting will result in a loss, which means:
a) The advantage of turn based play is moot since you need to start and finish a match in one sitting, and
b) You can only ever have 1 game going, which also means there are way, way less matches available than in FS. I had 40 people on the server, which gave me 1 game to play if I was lucky. In FS 40 people on the server mean you can instantly play 10 games at the same time.

Except for graphics, the own squad setup and the 4 player deathmatch mode, Frozen Synapse wins in every regard. Going to post some actual gameplay impressions after I got to playing it, though, but I definitely do not like the vibe I am currently getting from this game.

I can now add these ones:

- The game is unbelievably bad optimized and runs like shit no matter the PC configuration
- The game has 120 seconds turns in its slowest setting, which is actually needed if you properly want to play the game. But for beginners it makes the game unplayable. Additionally: if you end your turn faster, you'll get a fighting bonus. No time to play/train. This game is crazy beginner hostile.
- The game doesnt give you ANY ingame hints whatsoever on any outcome. You dont get hit percentages, how many damage you can do, sometimes I wouldnt even know whether I can hit the enemy at all.
- The game also does a very poor job of showing the player when an enemy is in line of sight to fire.
- Load times between turns are horrible. Load times everywhere. Game stuck on the last turn for 10-15 seconds just to have the end screen pop up.
- Since this game is a mess and beginner hostile: You wont find many players to play with (I had 8 players online just now). Add that with the bad matchmaking system, and you got a MP only game that will have completely barren servers in 2 weeks.
- And to add insult to injury, their main selling point: graphics. The awesome style in the trailer looks in fact... HORRIBLE ingame. Just look at the UI and the "fog of war" style pixelization effect:
PIcCu.jpg

Clear recommendation: Don't go near this game. EVER. And NO, not even in a sale.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Damnit, snagged TLR from GamersGate.

I have Summer Sale fever so I had to bite. Right now the MSRP is $30 on Steam for some reason, so even if it went to 75% it would be the same price.

Petrie

Banned
I wish I hadn't played the 360 version of TLR. I never finished it, but after giving like 50 hours to that game, I can
't bring myself to start from scratch, no matter how much better the PC version might be.

sazzy

I wish I hadn't played the 360 version of TLR. I never finished it, but after giving like 50 hours to that game, I can
't bring myself to start from scratch, no matter how much better the PC version might be.

is the game any good

I'm hoping to get

Metro 2033
Lara Croft Guardian of Light
Divinity 2
Anno 1404 or Dawn of Discovery

Honestly, just go ahead and pass on that one. Booooooorrriiiinnnnggggg

2033 however, is one of the greatest gems to grace the FPS genre in quite some time. Can't wait for last light. Expect to see it for about $5.

Kerub

Banned
I'm really just hoping for Assassins Creed pack. I've still only played the first one.

I don't mean to sound harsh but enough of those questions already!
Sale's coming down soon, really soon. Either today or on the 28th by all indications.
Just chill folks, you'll know when it's here. Cheers!

But I want it today, buhu! :)

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
How about Max Payne 3?

I think it's too early for that one. Rockstar is usually pretty price protective early on with games - I hope for your sake that I am wrong though.

kafiend

I don't mean to sound harsh but enough of those questions already!
Sale's coming down soon, really soon. Either today or on the 28th by all indications.
Just chill folks, you'll know when it's here. Cheers!

OK, We will all be quiet.....

Any chance we'll see some huge (75-80%) daily deals on "blockbuster" AAA titles like Skyrim? How about Max Payne 3?

You started.... :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any chance we'll see some huge (75-80%) daily deals on "blockbuster" AAA titles like Skyrim? How about Max Payne 3?

Your two examples are highly unlikely: Skyrim was 33% off just last month and if the sale does indeed begin in a few days Max Payne 3 won't even be a month old.

Edit: Skyrim at -66% and Max Payne 3 at -33% is the best you should hope for, I'd say.

sazzy

Honestly, just go ahead and pass on that one. Booooooorrriiiinnnnggggg

2033 however, is one of the greatest gems to grace the FPS genre in quite some time. Can't wait for last light. Expect to see it for about $5.

i want another RPG like witcher 1/2 or skyrim. from the videos it seemed to fit the bill :(

TGMIII

I doubt you'll see anywhere near that sort of discount for Max Payne since it just came out and Skyrim still sells well so I doubt we'll see anything over 50%, most likely 33% but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom