• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

I'll have to admit that Gamersgate's online storefront is slick and really works. Only downside so far is it locks your keys for fifteen minutes, I have no idea why they would do that. I wasn't going to buy Last Remnant during the summer sale anyway so this is a net gain for me. Oh wait, net loss. Shit.

jediyoshi

I can't get steam cleaner to work. I click the bat file and cmd pops up and disappears, then WinRAR opens up the .jar folder, "fr" and "META-INF." No .exe is placed anywhere.

Program needs java. Right click the jar file, open with -> choose default program -> browse -> java -> jre7 -> bin ->java.exe. Tick Always Use, hit ok. Reopen the .bat file.

SxP

Penny Arcade game bought, I adore the Zeboyd games. Highly recommend a playthrough of Call of Cthulu, it was brilliant when I played it last summer :]

Do you mean Cthulhu Saves the World? Because Call of Cthulhu is not a Zeboyd game and a different game entirely.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't get steam cleaner to work. I click the bat file and cmd pops up and disappears, then WinRAR opens up the .jar folder, "fr" and "META-INF." No .exe is placed anywhere.

The Jar file should not be opened by Winrar, it is the program. Right click it, and see if windows gives an option to open it with Java.

Anyone with a ATI card ever update your drivers through steam? Is it at all safe? It just seems like it would cause issues.
I've done it numerous times. Works fine.

Edit: I lied. There was one time Steam kept thinking I didn't install the latest drivers when I did. Every time I clicked to update through Steam, it would download the same files that I had already updated with. It was stuck that way for a little while. I still use the feature and I have had no issues since.

Program needs java. Right click the jar file, open with -> choose default program -> browse -> java -> jre7 -> bin ->java.exe. Tick Always Use, hit ok. Reopen the .bat file.
I don't have Java at all. I did a Windows 7 reinstall a few weeks ago. Guess I forgot to install Java for Minecraft. Downloaded and installed Java. It only deleted ~250mb of data. Not much since I just did a fresh install, but a nifty program I will use in the future! Thanks.

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: _______________

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com
Hmmm, I guess someone is trying to phish my account. Got this about an hour ago. Still logged on Steam just fine.

Uriah

I enjoy the Serious Sam games for what they are (mindless shooters), however the penultimate level of Serious Sam 3 is terrible. The game stops being even remotely fun when you're stuck in a level that is essentially a very long corridor and so overwhelmed by the literally thousands of enemies that you're either bouncing around in the air or dead far more often than you're actively attacking.

If by terrible, you mean amazing, then yes.

mr. grape

Huh, Dungeon Siege 3 for 5 bucks on GamersGate, what's GAF say about it? It's Obsidian sans Obsidian, but I ran out of things to buy from these guys...

I personally waited until there were a Steam sale for the Dungeon Siege pack. It's been on sale for $10 before, and includes Dungeon Siege 1, 2, 3, and the DLC for 3. If you don't mind waiting, that's the best deal IMO. For $5 DS3 isn't bad though. It's an average game, neither good or bad. I had the most fun in co-op with a friend. It's going to SUCK if you're playing with randoms online, the multiplayer wasn't really set up for that. The save file is tied to the host, so anyone that joins your game has all of their progress tied to your save file.

Wok

Ordinarily I would heed your wisdom. Unfortunately I am in urgent need of a distraction and nothing in my backlog is working.

From what I read, Krater needs some serious bugfixes. I would wait three days if I were you.

Edit: If you want to buy indie, try A Virus Named TOM for $5. It is -50% for pre-orderers though it will be released on Steam in August this year.

And make up your mind for Krater in a few days.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Any impressions of KRATER. After the quick look I'm dying to play it. Anyone want to scare me off?

It's in a very unfinished state right now. I've owned it for a while and been checking up on it, it's not too enjoyable as it stands. Lots of potential, but I see no reason to jump on it right now. Wait and see as the updates are coming pretty regularly.

Tower Wars is heading to Steam:

Tower Wars is a competitive online multiplayer real-time strategy game set in a fantasy, steam-punk universe!

Features:

Play online in one-on-one ranked or unranked matches.
Build unique towers to create long mazes for enemy units to traverse.
Send multitudes of specialized units in massive attack waves.
Upgrade technologies that will augment the stats and functions of your units and towers.
All the benefits of the Steam platform: achievements, leaderboards, matchmaking, and stats. Lots of stats!

http://www.towerwarsgame.com/about/

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Possibly.

Also, just checked the store page for Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. Since when have they disabled purchases?

Yeah, this is one game I really want to get. I had it on 360 and traded it away knowing I would get the PC version. But not on Steam apparently. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
I personally waited until there were a Steam sale for the Dungeon Siege pack. It's been on sale for $10 before, and includes Dungeon Siege 1, 2, 3, and the DLC for 3. If you don't mind waiting, that's the best deal IMO. For $5 DS3 isn't bad though. It's an average game, neither good or bad. I had the most fun in co-op with a friend. It's going to SUCK if you're playing with randoms online, the multiplayer wasn't really set up for that. The save file is tied to the host, so anyone that joins your game has all of their progress tied to your save file.
Yeah, I was planning on maybe doing couch coop, so that won't really a problem. I bought it, since I have no interest on the other DS games, really.

Koroviev

Need some opinions on The Last Remnant. Is it complete garbage or does it have some redeeming value if you're a JRPG fan? How is the battle system? I have no love for MMO-style "click mindlessly to kill."

Blackheim

Need some opinions on The Last Remnant. Is it complete garbage or does it have some redeeming value if you're a JRPG fan? How is the battle system? I have no love for MMO-style "click mindlessly to kill."

There's a demo on Steam that should give you a good idea. Battle system is not like that at all, turn-based instead more akin to the FF games.

Speaking of Last Remnant, GamersGate stinks, I'm trying to give them money for the game but, the site hangs up when trying to check out, ugh.

Koroviev

There's a demo on Steam that should give you a good idea. Battle system is not like that at all, turn-based instead more akin to the FF games.

Speaking of Last Remnant, GamersGate stinks, I'm trying to give them money for the game but, the site hangs up when trying to check out, ugh.

Oh, there's actually a demo? I've gotten in the habit of assuming they don't exist, lol.

Still curious to see impressions from people who've played through a decent amount it, though.

xelios

It's nothing like MMO style click to kill. Battles are fun, somewhat tactical and take place on a separate screen. Difficulty can get pretty insane depending on how you go about playing the game. It doesn't really reward traditional grinding, that's a hint. It's a good game, and as a bonus, far better on PC than consoles (because of gameplay changes, not graphics alone).

Koroviev

It's nothing like MMO style click to kill. Battles are somewhat tactical and take place on a separate screen. Difficulty can get pretty insane depending on how you go about playing the game. It doesn't really reward grinding, that's a hint. It's a good game, and as a bonus, far better on PC than consoles.

Does it have any notable performance issues?

MRORANGE

if you got a decent pc it will keep up, the battle scene's can get intense due to the amount of ai characters on screen. something like 20+, but most modern PC's shouldn't break a sweat.

A lot better than the 360 version imo in framrates.

Koroviev

if you got a decent pc it will keep up, the battle scene's can get intense due to the amount of ai characters on screen. something like 20+, but most modern PC's shouldn't break a sweat.

A lot better than the 360 version imo in framrates.

I have a 3.0 GHz dual core, GTX 460 and 4 GB of RAM. I think that's decent, but I know some people have 4 GTX 680s in SLI around here (x_x)

xelios

On 360 it did. Last I played it on my PC (had a 460 back then) it ran wonderfully with no issues and not a framedrop one. I've seen a few people have issues with shadow settings turned up, that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom