• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GMG keeps putting these preorder deals up months in advance when I'm in save money mode. It keeps getting harder to resist too.

What pisses me off (not really) is that they put up a better sale of it every 2 weeks or so.

I think Darksiders 2 has been cheaper than what I bought it at first on a special pre-order sale on GMG itself.

I can't even keep up, to tell you the truth.

Koroviev

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on The Last Remnant based on GAF impressions, but I have one more question: how's the enemy variety? I've seen some people say that you don't have enough control over battle outcomes, but that seems like an early concern that is mitigated as you learn more about the mechanics.

Jomjom

Banned
Is there a way to use screenshots as the background for games that don't support Steam Overlay when you are using the List View?

For instance when I play 3D games on steam I can use the Steam screenshot feature and once I upload them to the cloud, it randomly cycles them in to be used as the background for the game. But when I play Gabriel Knight from GoG that I've added as a non-Steam game, I can't use the Steam screenshot feature because it's 2D and/or too old and doesn't support Steam Overlay, so I can't even take screenshots using Steam.

TDLink

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on The Last Remnant based on GAF impressions, but I have one more question: how's the enemy variety? I've seen some people say that you don't have enough control over battle outcomes, but that seems like an early concern that is mitigated as you learn more about the mechanics.

Imo, wait on firing that gun until the summer sale starts any day now. That game -always- goes on sale during them.

mr. grape

Imo, wait on firing that gun until the summer sale starts any day now. That game -always- goes on sale during them.

Even if it does go on sale on Steam, the lowest it'd probably be is 75% off, which would be $7.50.. the same price that gamersgate has it at now. I'd recommend buying it now, not worth risking a sale on Steam that'd be the same price anyway, if it does occur on Steam.

Eusis

I have a 3.0 GHz dual core, GTX 460 and 4 GB of RAM. I think that's decent, but I know some people have 4 GTX 680s in SLI around here (x_x)
On a Core 2 Duo (E8400, about 3 GHZ) and 9800GT (same as 8800GT if you don't know) it typically ran at about 60 FPS at max or at least very nearly max settings at 1680x1050. Suffice to say your computer will curbstomp the shit out of Last Remnant.

Blackheim

Nearly 2 hours later and I finally have Last Remnant activated on Steam and am installing, man. >_> Thanks GamersGate, better late than never I guess :/

Was this posted yet? Hitman: Absolution - Professional Edition is $36.90 with the code ABSOL-UTEDS-COUNT for another 12 hours. It's going to be Steamworks.

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger...

I really want to bite on this. Im in Australia. Our prices using that code are 36.90 for the normal edition and 44 for the professional. Any idea if they give you pre order code for steam straight away or do they wait for November release then dish out the codes?

TGMIII

Need some opinions on The Last Remnant. Is it complete garbage or does it have some redeeming value if you're a JRPG fan? How is the battle system? I have no love for MMO-style "click mindlessly to kill."

It's been a while since I've played it but here's a few thoughts.

If you're not really into JPGs I'd stay away from it. If you are then it's a pretty decent one at that. Pacing can be all over the place so be ready for some slow stretches, voice acting is a little scarce considering the amount of text there is if you spend enough time with it. There's a good amount of content in quests and party members, there's recruitable members you can use to form groups which can sorta be compared to FF tactics in a way. The story and characters are alright for the most part, it's par for the course for a JPG.

Combat is turn based and a little hard to explain. When you get into a battle you have small parties made up of 3/4 team members with one of them being the team leader. Depending on your team leader will dictate what sort of offensive/defensive magic spells you do and depending on your overall party members will depend on damage. That's the combat on a very simple scale, there's a lot more too it and like I said it's been awhile so some of that might not be 100% correct.

If you're really into JRPGs give it a shot, it might take awhile to warm up but once it did I started to really enjoy it. Don't go in expecting greatness but for what it is it's a really solid JRPG.

Koroviev

Even if it does go on sale on Steam, the lowest it'd probably be is 75% off, which would be $7.50.. the same price that gamersgate has it at now. I'd recommend buying it now, not worth risking a sale on Steam that'd be the same price anyway, if it does occur on Steam.

Yeah, I checked deals4downloads, and $7.50 is the cheapest it has ever been.

It's been a while since I've played it but here's a few thoughts.

If you're not really into JPGs I'd stay away from it. If you are then it's a pretty decent one at that. Pacing can be all over the place so be ready for some slow stretches, voice acting is a little scarce considering the amount of text there is if you spend enough time with it. There's a good amount of content in quests and party members, there's recruitable members you can use to form groups which can sorta be compared to FF tactics in a way. The story and characters are alright for the most part, it's par for the course for a JPG.

Combat is turn based and a little hard to explain. When you get into a battle you have small parties made up of 3/4 team members with one of them being the team leader. Depending on your team leader will dictate what sort of offensive/defensive magic spells you do and depending on your overall party members will depend on damage. That's the combat on a very simple scale, there's a lot more too it and like I said it's been awhile so some of that might not be 100% correct.

If you're really into JRPGs give it a shot, it might take awhile to warm up but once it did I started to really enjoy it. Don't go in expecting greatness but for what it is it's a really solid JRPG.

As long as the combat is interesting, I couldn't care less about the characters or story. All I need is some variety here and there.

Hellix

Need some opinions on The Last Remnant. Is it complete garbage or does it have some redeeming value if you're a JRPG fan? How is the battle system? I have no love for MMO-style "click mindlessly to kill."

In my opinion, I say the game is pretty underrated. I enjoyed the hell out of it the battle system. I think I ended up beating it two or three times by now.

Koroviev

In my opinion, I say the game is pretty underrated. I enjoyed the hell out of it the battle system. I think I ended up beating it two or three times by now.

That's all I needed to hear. Buying now :)

It's going to be so nice having a JRPG on Steam (other than Ys, of course).

Right after you leave that hub area in TLR demo, somewhere between learning the game's menu's and being introduced to it's combat system, I was turned off and never played that game ever again. I dunno man.

Koroviev

Right after you leave that hub area in TLR demo, somewhere between learning the games menu's and being introduced to it's combat system, I was turned off and never played the game ever again.

I dunno man.

Were you using a gamepad? I've read that the game is not optimized for KB + M.

Were you using a gamepad? I've read that the game is not optimized for KB + M.

I can't really remember, most likely m/kb, that may have been the reason though. I have faint glimpses of being daunted by not knowing which keys to press lol combined with a complex combat system.

Tbh though I never gave the game a chance, hope you enjoy it.

Koroviev

I can't really remember, most likely m/kb, that may have been the reason though. I have faint glimpses of being daunted by not knowing which keys to press lol combined with a complex combat system.

Tbh though I never gave the game a chance, hope you enjoy it.

So do I! I love a good unique battle system. Also looking forward to Valkyria Chronicles this week :)

I would die if I could have VC on Steam. DIE.

zoku88

I played TLR witha kb+m and it was fine.

The only annoying thing is that the on-screen button prompts default to xbox controls. But you can change that in the options menu.

Nabs, thanks for the gift. You're awesome! Will definitely return the favor sometime.

Currently absorbed in various MMOs so I haven't been logging in to Steam lately. I'm ready for the Summer sale though. :D

Pollux

Just picked up KOTOR for 9.99. Soooo fucking happy. Haven't played this game in years since my mom gave away all my original Xbox games when I moved out. And I have a Mac so i'm happy it's finally available.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just picked up KOTOR for 9.99. Soooo fucking happy. Haven't played this game in years since my mom gave away all my original Xbox games when I moved out. And I have a Mac so i'm happy it's finally available.

Dude, it's gonna be like 2.50$ in the next 10 days.

Pollux

We'll find out in a couple of days. Just wait for the "OMG, I JUST BOUGHT THIS GAME FOR $X!!! :mad" post.

Not going to happen. One of my favorite games of all time, I would have spent more on it lol. I'm stupid, I know, but it's only 9.99. That was cheaper than lunch today.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Played the Last Remnant demo briefly. Looks fantastic, but I can resist. :)

The combat is interesting but the voice acting and characters (as per usual JPRG) is just god awful, I haven't tried JP voices yet.

Not going to happen. One of my favorite games of all time, I would have spent more on it lol. I'm stupid, I know, but it's only 9.99. That was cheaper than lunch today.

o_O. where do you buy lunch at?

RetroMG

Just found out that I am going to have way more money for the sale than I thought. I'm sorely tempted to just buy one of my big games at regular price. (Arkham City or AC Revelations) We'll see how well Penny Arcade tides me over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom