• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Bought AvP and Noire. Not bad prices.

There Gaben. You happy? You just dropped my Steam Wallet down by $10. Start your sale already!

Apdiddy

So is LA Noire good

I played the PS3 version and the game is fine until a point. The ending/last part of the game was the only time I felt I wasted my money and was just bad.

If you don't mind everyone looking like they have blank expressions on their faces or all the women & children looking like deformed creatures, then L.A. Noire is great.

And it's too bad I already bought Aliens vs. Predator for PC on clearance from Target.

Nabs

Rule #0: You never want to put money in your Steam wallet before the start of the sale. You'll end up buying everything.

I'm starting to believe the mid-July rumors. Everyone is going to go crazy.

jarosh

Do NOT buy Aliens vs. Predator!

Even as someone who quite enjoys mediocre shooters (as long as they can be played on a pc with kb/m), I have to say that this one is a total stinker. Awful level design and wimpy guns. Not even the predator campaign is worth it - very poorly balanced, full of clumsy mechanics and trial-and-error gameplay. Stay far away.

LA Noire is a good game, and certainly worth it at those prices. Its not GTA. Its not a proper adventure. Its not perfect. But it IS a good game and it IS worth it at this price.

It dragged a bit at the end was about the worst I could say for it. And I played and finished the Complete version on PC. I really really don't understand the hate from GAF on this game. Sure Bondi management were dicks, but the game is definitely well better than average.

lfvgt

Neo Member
According to SteamPrices, Australia, Japan and Mexico get the best deal on L.A. Noire: $3.75.

Oh wait, it's $3 in Ukraine and $2.62 in Russia. Regional pricing is so weird.

nexen

Is the LA Noire DLC any good?

Even as someone who quite enjoys mediocre shooters (as long as they can be played on a pc with kb/m), I have to say that this one is a total stinker. Awful level design and wimpy guns. Not even the predator campaign is worth it - very poorly balanced, full of clumsy mechanics and trial-and-error gameplay. Stay far away.
Second opinion: yes AvP is terrible but if you cant squeeze $3 of fun out of stealth headripping and wall climbing, I'm not sure you are in the right hobby.
Stay away from the marine campaign but I enjoyed the 2 or 3 levels I played of the Predator campaign immensely.

Nabs

Aerofly FS got added to the registry. I remember an RPS article about it getting rejected a few months ago.

Herla

I bought Darksiders from GMG the other day and started playing it on the hardest difficulty setting because I'm an achievement whore...and now I find out achievements for that game are bugged.
Fuck everything. :(

LA Noire is a good game, and certainly worth it at those prices. Its not GTA. Its not a proper adventure. Its not perfect. But it IS a good game and it IS worth it at this price.

It dragged a bit at the end was about the worst I could say for it. And I played and finished the Complete version on PC. I really really don't understand the hate from GAF on this game. Sure Bondi management were dicks, but the game is definitely well better than average.

Hmm, I may buy it now, I just didn't want another game I wouldn't play just sitting there.

As someone who bought LA Noire on PC at launch but couldn't be arsed to finish it, I'd say 5$ is about what it's worth.

To be fair LA Noire has some interesting ideas, it tries to make interviewing witnesses and investigation of crime scene the core mechanics, not defacto standard of violence. LA Noire is a weird mash-up of open-world and classic adventure gameplay (think Leisure Suit Larry/King's Quest/Police Quest/Rise of the Dragon/etc.). LA Noire tries to make you something resembling a proper cop. The problem is the execution is very flawed. The crime scene investigation mechanics are incredibly simplistic and canned. You can have the evidence in the bag, you know the person you're questioning is clearly guilty but you have to tackle the interrogations in a very specific, rigid manner to correctly solve a case. They have so many different recordings sessions with so many different tones placed in any one conversation it borders on comical.

LA Noire's open world if like vanilla Mafia II, it's a giant hub, not a playground, there are some random crimes and what not you can stop on the way to and form locations but that's about it. That was a strong point for me personally. The game really tries to reinforce that you are an officer of the law, you can't run anyone over, pedestrians will dodge you and any damage you cos goes against your final case score (I think, it's been a while). You're not going to just cruise around and cause havoc.

I'd say it's worth the 5-7$.

Of course this happens the week after I bought L.A. Noire on Gamefly for $4.50.

Is it worth it double dip to get the DLC? I don't think I can get that on Gamefly.

Is the LA Noire DLC any good?

Second opinion: yes AvP is terrible but if you cant squeeze $3 of fun out of stealth headripping and wall climbing, I'm not sure you are in the right hobby.
Stay away from the marine campaign but I enjoyed the 2 or 3 levels I played of the Predator campaign immensely.

I dunno. I mean, AvP cant possible be as boring as driving around LA Noire's empty over world with bad controls and pixel hunting for interactive objects at the crime scenes.

Im tempted to pick up AvP for $3 because in juxtaposition to $5 for LA Noire it looks like a steal.

Joe Molotov

Rule #0: You never want to put money in your Steam wallet before the start of the sale. You'll end up buying everything.

Gabe reeled in another sucker.

WcjXv.jpg

nexen

I dunno. I mean, AvP cant possible be as boring as driving around LA Noire's empty over world with bad controls and pixel hunting for interactive objects at the crime scenes.

Im tempted to pick up AvP for $3 because in juxtaposition to $5 for LA Noire it looks like a steal.

I'm not sure you quoted the right person. I was saying AvP is worth $3. It isn't a good game but it definitely contains more than $3 worth of fun in my books. And I'm a total cheap ass.

I'm fairly certain you are borderline insane bro, AvP is a good shooter with good Alien atmosphere and good graphics.

Anyone know how the L.A. Noire DLC installation works? Is it possible to buy it in Steam and incorporate it in a non-Steam installation? GFWL games do that so it's not totally unheard-of.

sazzy

Anyone know how the L.A. Noire DLC installation works? Is it possible to buy it in Steam and incorporate it in a non-Steam installation? GFWL games do that so it's not totally unheard-of.

I just bought the base game + DLC pack; didn't get a code or anything for either. Its just activated on my account.

Derrick01

Banned

I definitely believe this now. I put my $40 I'm limiting myself in my wallet about a week ago and since then I've been waiting for something semi-interesting that I didn't already have to come up as a daily or a mid/weekend deal. Thankfully nothing so far but the temptation is brutal. I know I'll crack if they put something good up that I don't have.

Multiplayer is pretty enjoyable, though.

kaskade

God dammit steam. Now I know why everyone loves PC gaming. I've had my rig for about 3 weeks and it is awesome. I can see it being awesome for the non AAA titles when they go on sale like AvP for 3 bucks.

My eyes have been opened.

Kelegacy

I still have moreabout than 280 in my wallet but since May I have spent $60 on daily and weekend deals alone. I just want the sale to start so I can go hogwild and blow it all.

Kelegacy

God dammit steam. Now I know why everyone loves PC gaming. I've had my rig for about 3 weeks and it is awesome. I can see it being awesome for the non AAA titles when they go on sale like AvP for 3 bucks.

Yep welcome to the fold. The extra price for the rig is subsidized by the cheap game prices by far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Infinity Ward and Treyarch are Steamworks, are they not?

Yes, but Heretic II is a 14-year-old Raven game, not a recent entry in the Call of Duty franchise (indeed, judging from a cursory GS, I don't think Acti has used Steamworks, inclusive of retail support, in anything else).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

It's the ultimate argument for why the TCO of PC gaming is lower than consoles. Yes, consoles may be cheaper, but with Steam, GMG, Gamefly, GOG etc etc, you can get some awesome games for stupid money.

Anyway, it's not even the Steam sale yet and I've been buying games, if the sale is indeed on Thursday, my wallet is going to pay.

But offset by the amount of games you buy that you normally wouldn't. * looks at 200+ game Steam library *
I dare not look at my Steam library, it's scary!

kaskade

Yep welcome to the fold. The extra price for the rig is subsidized by the cheap game prices by far.
That was one of the reasons I wanted it (plus the benefit of them looking better). It seems if you wait you can get some killer deals. I'm so excited for my first full on steam sale.

I think I'm going to order an HDMI cable and run it to my TV since they are pretty close for some games like Driver (which was so worth the 7.50).

Nabs

If you guys are dying to give Steam 5 bucks, just buy the new PA game. You get 3 great games for the price of LA Noir.

Koroviev

That was one of the reasons I wanted it (plus the benefit of them looking better). It seems if you wait you can get some killer deals. I'm so excited for my first full on steam sale.

I think I'm going to order an HDMI cable and run it to my TV since they are pretty close for some games like Driver (which was so worth the 7.50).

That's how I have my PC hooked up, though my PC is on a desk :p

And consider your first Steam sale a rite of passage. Your wallet will be sore for weeks.

If you guys are dying to give Steam 5 bucks, just buy the new PA game. You get 3 great games for the price of LA Noir.

LA Noire isn't a great game but it's something I feel like everyone should play. There's some horrible design decisions holding it back from being something truly special.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Valve is not a open company. Gabe owns all of that shit*. There's no "board of directors" or "majority owner". That's why it's so good.

So i'd say yeah, it's probably worth more than EA. But they're completely different types of company, as far as i know.

* That's how it was last time I checked. Maybe the game has changed since them. If anybody has evidence of the contrary, please, enlighten me, as I'm too lazy to do proper research.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bought:
* Penny Arcade 1 & 2 bundle. Only $3? HNNNNGG
* PA 3 (omg that retro style!!! nice bonus games, too)
* LA Noir Complete. Finally, the price was right.

Happy camper today :)

Crossing my fingers for an ARMA II sale this summer so I can finally check out DayZ. If it's not included in the summer sale I'll probably cave and get the combined operations for $29, which is acceptable.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

I've been using a HDTV of some form as my gaming PC monitor for a few years now, HDMI makes it all so easy to turn PC into a big screen gaming device.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Not true. I put $50 into my wallet a couple weeks ago in anticipation and have yet to spend any. I actually find it makes controlling my purchases even easier because I'm staring at my balance constantly.

Shambles

Why on earth would you give Valve and interest free loan in the first place?

First rule is don't pay for an object until you get an object.

I was pushed into buying AvP during my families christmas LAN last year. While the game looked terrible it is fun playing local multiplayer, especially with people who aren't uber-competative. I sure wouldn't play it for the single player or online multi but some of the game modes are useful for playing with those are don't play a lot of PC games since you end up constantly changing what team you're on. For instance everyone but one person is human while one player runs around as a predator trying to kill everyone. If the predator is killed or runs out of time he turns back to being human and the human that killed him gets to play as the predator.

This is more of a niche situation, most people still won't like the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom