• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would you give Valve and interest free loan in the first place?

First rule is don't pay for an object until you get an object.
During the sales the Steam Wallet is useful, since you don't have creditcard companies rejecting payments then (lots of small payments in short amount of time). And it's a way to set a limit for yourself. If the Wallet is empty, don't buy more games.

Crossing my fingers for an ARMA II sale this summer so I can finally check out DayZ. If it's not included in the summer sale I'll probably cave and get the combined operations for $29, which is acceptable.

Same exact situation as you. I'm sure many, many people are waiting for this as well :)

Nabs

During the sales the Steam Wallet is useful, since you don't have creditcard companies rejecting payments then (lots of small payments in short amount of time). And it's a way to set a limit for yourself. If the Wallet is empty, don't buy more games.

Yeah, this is why I use the Steam Wallet.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Is LA Noire plagued with the Social Club login error problems that GTAIV has? I gave up this weekend on GTAIV because of it.

TBH I simply appreciate that they aren't called 'gabenos,' or 'steam bucks.' Calling a wallet and displaying currency in $ shows respect for the gamer, I appreciate subtle things like that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve is not a open company. Gabe owns all of that shit*. There's no "board of directors" or "majority owner". That's why it's so good.

So i'd say yeah, it's probably worth more than EA. But they're completely different types of company, as far as i know.

* That's how it was last time I checked. Maybe the game has changed since them. If anybody has evidence of the contrary, please, enlighten me, as I'm too lazy to do proper research.

Well, Forbes seems to believe that Gabe owns more than 50% of the company, but I've never read anything else that pretends to have knowledge of how Valve issues shares among employees, if at all.

krpiper

It would actually be pretty stupid for the developers to put that game on sale as long as the demand keeps up. It's been topping the charts for some time now I think.

I remember reading I think here on GAF that if there is a popular game, steam will put it on sale to drive extra sales

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think most people here have Norton as their antivirus but just in case if you do and bought LA Noire, you're going to want to turn it off until LA Noire downloads and then add the .exe to your exception list. It's some glitch that makes Norton flag it as a virus and despite Rockstar saying they were going to fix it months ago they never did.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Why on earth would you give Valve and interest free loan in the first place?

First rule is don't pay for an object until you get an object.

Dear God you're right! I've wasted an entire fraction of a cent in interest due to me had I left that money in my bank an extra two weeks!

I think I'm going to be sick...

I remember reading I think here on GAF that if there is a popular game, steam will put it on sale to drive extra sales
It depends on the amount of people buying of course. We don't really have any number for that. If the sales quadruple with a -50%, it would make sense I guess, but on the other hand, if the game is already popular, why not get people to buy it full priced as long as you can and then put it on sale.

moojito

Damn, I paid £12.99 for bioshock 2 and la noire the last time round. Still haven't played either of them :<

+1 for avp totally being worth a couple of quid if you like the alien universe.

feel

i7yM60kfO8JAL.bmp

Gaben give it to me

Shambles

Dear God you're right! I've wasted an entire fraction of a cent in interest due to me had I left that money in my bank an extra two weeks!

I think I'm going to be sick...

I'm glad to see you put more thought into clicking the post button than into the content of your post. Thanks for letting me know who's another one of the useless members of the forum.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm glad to see you put more thought into clicking the post button than into the content of your post. Thanks for letting me know who's another one of the useless members of the forum.
......come on, that's super uncalled for. The amount of interest one would earn in the current economy from $50 over a couple of weeks is practically microscopic, and that's even aside from the tone/content of this post. :|

I also find that the wallet helps me stay within a budget for the big sales. I got a $50 card for father's day and that's the max I'll spend during the summer sale.

BioHazard

I wonder if credit card companies have actually noticed the trend of "STEAMPOWERED.COM PURCHASE WA, USA" appearing on many statements during the summer (and the winter too)

EDIT: I also meant, what if they were aware of it and expect it possibly and perhaps they have documented it as normal

Derrick01

Banned
Shambles just made me go to Gamestop and put down $40 preorders for every game coming out this year in protest.

I hope you're happy sir.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think most people here have Norton as their antivirus but just in case if you do and bought LA Noire, you're going to want to turn it off until LA Noire downloads and then add the .exe to your exception list. It's some glitch that makes Norton flag it as a virus and despite Rockstar saying they were going to fix it months ago they never did.
Why is that Rockstars responsibility? Shouldn't it be Norton's responsibility to not make a shitty anti-virus software?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I wonder if credit card companies have actually noticed the trend of "STEAMPOWERED.COM PURCHASE WA, USA" appearing on many statements during the summer (and the winter too)

EDIT: I also meant, what if they were aware of it and expect it possibly and perhaps they have documented it as normal

I'm sure at some point there would have been a review of it, somewhere, especially as there would be massive spikes at weird times of the year. As stated in this thread, some people get their credit cards locked thanks to Steam so it at least shows credit card companies are vigilant!

nexen

Why not just transfer funds to your Steam Wallet? That way a) it's a single transaction so no problem and b) your spending is automatically sensibly limited!

Meh. I just call them and tell them to knock it off. I don't want to sensibly limit my spending. This is my x-mas in july.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know what would be funny? Anticipated games (e.g. Rayman Origins, Binary Domain) not getting any huge discounts!

iNvid02

can someone tell me how to enable 60fps on la noire before my eyes fall out

i tried this trainer which supposedly caps at 60 but it didnt work - did an update disable it?

helpme

Sober

If you don't use Steam Wallet then just stare at the daily deals, put everything you want in it and buy it all at once instead of game by game. That's what I do. You still have the extra 3-4 hour grace period when they switch to new dailies if you changed your mind.

Derrick01

Banned
Why is that Rockstars responsibility? Shouldn't it be Norton's responsibility to not make a shitty anti-virus software?

Because 99.9% of games work fine with it. Only rockstar seems to have a problem with it. Also if you say you're going to do something then do it, and they haven't yet.

BosSin

LA Noire is a good game, however LA Noire PC is a bad port.

It's not a terrible port, this term is saved for something like Skyrim PS3 before the patches or any port that is almost unplayable

The same should be said to AVG, a number of Steam games flash up red with them.

Yes, the software developer is supposed to report "false positives" to the AV maker, and the AV maker is supposed to take care of it. That's how it's supposed to work, anyway. In some circumstances they may have to work together.

If Rockstar reported the false positive and then never heard back from Norton, I would guess it's on them to follow-up. Maybe they don't care anymore, or the Norton guys are being douches for some reason. We'll probably never know.

I'll never play/buy LA Noire again, I don't care how cheap it is. Was OK for about the first 2 hours or should I say until you realize it's the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom