• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gabe reeled in another sucker.

WcjXv.jpg

The gem of gems!

Why would it start mid July? Where'd this speculation come from?

On the Steam forums, a developer for Cubemen was told by another indie developer that it was happening in the middle of July. Then the developer of A Virus Named TOM had the game pushed back until after the sale is over, and its Steam page says it's releasing in August. I think there might be a few other clues that I'm forgetting.

Nothing is for sure, obviously.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
On the Steam forums, a developer for Cubemen was told by another indie developer that it was happening in the middle of July. Then the developer of A Virus Named TOM had the game pushed back until after the sale is over, and its Steam page says it's releasing in August. I think there might be a few other clues that I'm forgetting.

Nothing is for sure, obviously.

Aw man, thanks for the info. Judging by past sales and the fact of 4th of July being skipped over with a mid July start I was kind of confused.

1-D_FTW

During the sales the Steam Wallet is useful, since you don't have creditcard companies rejecting payments then (lots of small payments in short amount of time). And it's a way to set a limit for yourself. If the Wallet is empty, don't buy more games.

Yeah, this is why I use the Steam Wallet.

That's because we've upgraded to Pro status.

I actually have enough self-control not to buy garbage I don't want (usually). So I don't really do it for that reason. But the whole hassle of getting things rejected on fraud grounds (or paypal swallowing the transaction during opening minute rush) is why I keep money in the wallet. It's a huge advantage for that reason alone and highly recommended.

kafiend

If Rockstar reported the false positive and then never heard back from Norton, I would guess it's on them to follow-up. Maybe they don't care anymore, or the Norton guys are being douches for some reason. We'll probably never know.

They probably bought LA Noire day one at retail.

I don't think devs are told the actual date, just asked if they want to be apart of the sale at some point? Seems likely more people would spill the date if that were the case.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Steam has devalued itself so much with games like $5 LA Noire and $3 AvP that I predict they are going out of business and therefore the only summer sale will be Valve being sold to Origin.

All Steam libraries will disappear but you can always repurchase your games from Steam-Origin during their grand opening summer sale at a 5% discount off original MSRP.

Steam has devalued itself so much with games like $5 LA Noire and $3 AvP that I predict they are going out of business and therefore the only summer sale will be Valve being sold to Origin.

All Steam libraries will disappear but you can always repurchase your games from Steam-Origin during their grand opening summer sale at a 5% discount off original MSRP.

St-Orig

Aren't there normally two Midweek Madness deals and two weekend Deals? Something is going on......what if we are actually in the sale already?

nexen

How can a summer sale not include July 4th? That's summer's most important date around the world since the dawn of friggin' time. Cavemen lighting fireworks and having backyard bbqs! Confirmed Gabe hates America and baby Jesus if sale starts on the 12th.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How can a summer sale not include July 4th? That's summer's most important date around the world since the dawn of friggin' time. Cavemen lighting fireworks and having backyard bbqs! Confirmed Gabe hates America and baby Jesus if sale starts on the 12th.

A good july 4th sale for a week, where everyone assumes its the summer sale. Then on 12th a full blown summer sale with even higher discounts plus achievements.

I forget, is it usual for sales to not start on Monday?

Each of the last two Summer sales began on a Thursday, while each of the last two Winter sales began on a Monday. Not really enough info to make a concrete guess on the start of this Summer sale, though.

I will say that I no longer believe the sale will begin this coming Thursday. The L.A. Noire midweek deal ends at 7 PM ET. Had the Summer Sale been starting this Thursday, the deal on L.A. Noire probably would've ended at 1 PM ET, which is the time when these massive sales usually start on Day 1. This happened last year when Hydrophobia was a Midweek Madness deal immediately prior to the Summer Camp Sale.

The rumors of a mid-July start date are starting to look more realistic, unfortunately.

I don't get the hate for LA Noire -- I've enjoyed the story so far and the interrogations are a lot of fun (apart from a few that seemed kind of cheap/broken). It has its flaws, but there's nothing else quite like it. Definitely worth a few bucks if you're at all interested in the premise.

Is LA Noire plagued with the Social Club login error problems that GTAIV has? I gave up this weekend on GTAIV because of it.

I've been playing it for the last week and I haven't noticed any problems. What was the issue with GTA IV?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why not just transfer funds to your Steam Wallet? That way a) it's a single transaction so no problem and b) your spending is automatically sensibly limited!

Alternatively, Valve can do what Apple does. On accounts with a successful payment history, Only bill every few days and lump all the purchases together in a single transaction. If the transaction fails, lock the account until the the transaction succeeds or the user updates billing info.

Better for everyone and it also saves the fixed portion of any transaction cost.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Each of the last two Summer sales began on a Thursday, while each of the last two Winter sales began on a Monday. Not really enough info to make a concrete guess on the start of this Summer sale, though.

I will say that I no longer believe the sale will begin this coming Thursday. The L.A. Noire midweek deal ends at 7 PM ET. Had the Summer Sale been starting this Thursday, the deal on L.A. Noire probably would've ended at 1 PM ET, which is the time when these massive sales usually start on Day 1. This happened last year when Hydrophobia was a Midweek Madness deal immediately prior to the Summer Camp Sale.

The rumors of a mid-July start date are starting to look more realistic, unfortunately.

Awww. I want to buy more games I won't play.

Alternatively, Valve can do what Apple does. On accounts with a successful payment history, Only bill every few days and lump all the purchases together in a single transaction. If the transaction fails, lock the account until the the transaction succeeds or the user updates billing info.

Better for everyone and it also saves the fixed portion of any transaction cost.
That's what I've been wondering about. Wouldn't the risk taken by the platform holder be amply balanced by not having to deal with dozens of micro-transactions over the course of hours, transactions that might carry a cost in themselves?

A later date for the Summer sales is quite a nice thing actually. Now I have a chance to actually try and clear some games of my backlog.

Yeah that's not going to happen actually

So was trying to organize somethings on my macbook, which is hardly game on, for a trip. Decided to open up steam so I could download a few games. Go to login and I keep getting server errors, yet it connects fine on my windows comp and my internet is working on my laptop. Anyone know anything?

So was trying to organize somethings on my macbook, which is hardly game on, for a trip. Decided to open up steam so I could download a few games. Go to login and I keep getting server errors, yet it connects fine on my windows comp and my internet is working on my laptop. Anyone know anything?

I had this, turns out it was steamguard but wasn't giving me the usual message about steamguard I get on PC and wasn't asking for the verification code..

I fixed it by turning steamguard off temporarily. you might try that, see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom